• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Again, nothing that has ever come out of a crock pot has tasted good

man you smokin'. Even using it to boil a crap tonne of eggs for the week to put in salads or have for breakfast is good. Or make some jook/congee, that's like the easiest thing in the world.

Real talk though I don't do a lot of cooking during the week for the exact reason you mention, but that's why i like weekends. I still abhor cleaning dishes though.

neilyadig

Nov 13, 2017
Because kebabs are supposed to be sausages, essentially. All of the ingredients are supposed to mixed together
those kebabs you posted are not ground meat kebabs. if you want to make meatball/ground meat kebabs, you need to make the meatball mix first and have some kind of binder like egg/flour/breadcrumbs to keep it all together.

you were intending to make something more like a kofta kebab?

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trust me when i say, going to Costco and discovering all the cheap, large quantity shit you can buy and freeze and make last for months is one of the best things ever, and it's all healthier than the sodium infused stuff they pre-package in the freezer aisle. But it takes some work. Me personally have become an expert lately of using rice, various sauces, and various meats to produce some real tasty dishes, and if you did the math ends up cheaper than fast food or pre-packaged meals. Point is buying expensive stuff to make a specific dish and having it fail isnt the best judge of the value of cooking your own meals.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Get a crock pot, OP. It is 100% impossible to fuck up a meal in a crock pot. It's like game genie for when you're just learning to cook. Just take some meat, some veggies, literally any flavor of thing you like, and throw it into a crock pot, put it on high, then go to work. When you come home, every single time, delicious food, always. A full meal in a crock pot can be had for like maybe $15, and it'll feed you for days.

Trust me, it is absolutely impossible to fuck up food on a crock pot.

Give you an example of a meal with a crock pot -- buy 2lbs or so of pot roast out of your grocery store, grab some baby carrots and potatoes and mushrooms, and head to the spices section of your store and look for these:

9aHeDv8.jpg

Throw all the ingredients into the crock pot on high and let it cook for 8 hours. When you serve, open a can of green beans and maybe make some white rice, and serve together. Bam, meal for days for under $15. There are tons and tons of things you can make with a crock pot. Chili, stew, pot roast, cheese dips, broccoli and rice, etc.

Take out and especially tv dinners are loaded with salt, you'll be very unhealthy to eat that way. They're also expensive. It's so much cheaper and easier and even healthier (although not that healthy) to eat with a crock pot.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OP, if the stress and cleaning is too much after a long day at work just cook simple things during the week. Boil pasta, season and bake some chicken, make some rice or salad. Experiment with new things over the weekend. That way you have all the time you need and if you fuck up, well... order pizza.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Experience is costing money I really don't have

You're ignoring what people are saying. It cost very little to make a pasta sauce, either butter or cream or tomato based. It cost very little to make a meatloaf. It costs very little to make pork chops. It costs very little to learn how to roast and braise chicken. It costs very little to roast some veggies. On and on and on and on and on...

There are people much poorer than you with much less time than you with more people to feed that make it work and have made it work for generations upon generations.

You can grab beginners cookbooks from the library or just watch some cooking shows on PBS.org or download an app from the App store. You could even say, "Hey, Siri [or Google], Find a cheap recipe."

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Key to cooking spaghetti is make sure you turn the heat to low and have enough water for what you're cooking. Its the easiest thing ever. But if you keep the heat boiling you can in fact burn and melt the pasta into the pot.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
OP, how can you burn pasta? Like, do you want me to make a video on how to make spaghetti?
You literally dump a ton of water into a pot, bring it to a boil, put pasta inside, put salt, cook 8 minutes, strain it, put some butter and there you go. Spaghetti.

Hello fresh has some nice recipes. Also, a crock-pot might be useful if you are REALLY struggling with life. Don't waste money buying out, it is unhealthy and very expensive.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
There's hundreds of recipes that are simple to the point of being idiot-proof. One of my quick-and easy favourites is made by mixing a bunch of ingredients in a bowl, pouring the mix into a pan and baking it for an hour. I'm barely oversimplifying it either, besides chopping and grating a few of the ingredients, that's literally it.

And even if you don't want to go to those lengths, steaming veges in the microwave and cooking some sausages in a pan is hard to mess up. Or buying some fish (which they'll put in a special oven-bag for you where I live) and baking it in the oven with some oven-chips is another one.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
Fry up some ground beef with cayenne and chilli powder and other optional stuff and you have an amazing filling for tacos. Easy weekday dish.

Skippy

Alt-Account
Oct 8, 2018
Cooking takes some experimenting and practice. It won't go right every time. Some things are easier to do than other things. You can just make a great grilled cheese if you want.

Online you can find great recipies and techniques.

I like cooking while my GF hangs out with me. Given that, I still order out a ton.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know what I said.

Even as a kid, coming home from school and learning that we were having pot roast for dinner was one of the most disappointing things

You can make way more than just pot roast in a crock pot. It's just that pot roast is the most classic thing to make, because like literally nobody hates the taste of pot roast (except I guess you....)

You know you can throw some spices on that bitch when you serve, right? I go all out, throw sriracha on, some jalapenos, salt, pepper, cumin, etc. That's the point of spices.

You can also eat the stuff in different ways. Usually when I make pot roast, on the second or third day, I'll shread the roast and turn it into tacos on some corn tortillas with cilantro on top.

How about some chili? You can make some bomb-ass chili in a crock pot.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a professional in many things but even still I can imagine that is not going to be very good for you in the long run.

Maurice Hamblin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Apr 6, 2018
If you're single try blue apron or one of those services. It's very hard to fuck up, you'll learn a lot along the way, and I believe it works out to about $10 per meal. It taught me how to cook more or less.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you on the crock pot thing. Generally produces bland mush of one flavor (beans in particular) and is only good for cooking pot roasts or other cheap cuts of meat. And they're not that much less work than just cooking normally -- you still have to set aside time to prep ingredients, clean the pot, and put it away, so why not just add an extra 10-15 minutes and prepare something fast on the stove?

Don't eat takeout and TV dinners every night, though. What the fuck.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fry up some ground beef with cayenne and chilli powder and other optional stuff and you have an amazing filling for tacos. Easy weekday dish.

I've found that buying all your spices at once can lead to things like a huge grocery bill. The trick I've found is to buy your spices a little at a time. Like, every time you go to the groceries, buy maybe 1 or 2 kinds of spices. AND USE THEM.

Alternatively, most grocery stores will have ready made food packs with all sorts of spices portioned out for a single meal that is relatively cheap. That's basically what those mccormick's shit i posted above are. They have a taco spice one that is basically exactly what you describe.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Most takeout places are high in sodium to make it tasty and make you come back.

Just make sandwiches and spaghetti and don't worry about eating "amazing" every day.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
one of the worst mistakes in my 20s was eating out and living off microwave meals. got into the worst shape of my life, even when eating "healthy". not to mention the money i probably threw away

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OP you can make fun meals with a crock pot/slow cooker too, doesn't need to be all pot roasts. I make some dope buffalo chicken sandwiches with a slow cooker. You could do the same thing with pulled pork.

Skippy

Alt-Account
Oct 8, 2018
There's nothing wrong with eating out every meal.

If you live in a city you can even eat healthy eating out if you want.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that got into cooking this year and likes to experiment with new things:
-cook simpler/cheaper stuff like chicken cooked different ways, making tacos, or a steak in the pan. Branch out when you're more comfortable
-if you follow the recipes closely it's hard to mess up unless you just aren't paying attention
-watch videos. I've found a lot of good recipes and examples on youtube

Emerson

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Again, nothing that has ever come out of a crock pot has tasted good

The fuck?

You realize you can make a bunch of shit in a slow cooker, not just soups and pot roasts.

Buy some boneless chicken breasts and put them in a crock pot with a jar of salsa. Let it cook like 6 hours and then shred the chicken with two forks. Delicious, easy chicken that you can eat on a sandwich or with rice or whatever. Alternatively, cover the chicken breasts with buffalo sauce and towards the end of the cooking time add a little butter and some dry ranch then shred it for buffalo chicken sandwiches.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
I'm largely a failure at most things in life and even I can make a lasagna. So uh yeah, work on it.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fuck?

You realize you can make a bunch of shit in a slow cooker, not just soups and pot roasts.

Buy some boneless chicken breasts and put them in a crock pot with a jar of salsa. Let it cook like 6 hours and then shred the chicken with two forks. Delicious, easy chicken that you can eat on a sandwich or with rice or whatever. Alternatively, cover the chicken breasts with buffalo sauce and towards the end of the cooking time add a little butter and some dry ranch then shred it for buffalo chicken sandwiches.

I'm like legitimately baffled lmao

crock pots are like the most basic form of cooking. It's pretty much just picking flavors and combining them with time and heat. Like, what things do you think taste good? Throw that shit in a crock pot, and watch their flavors blend.

lmao

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Get a gas BBQ and chuck some meat on the grill for a few mins and at the same time have a bag of freshly washed greens ready for a salad or bags of frozen veggies which you can easily boil for a very healthy and complete meal. The frozen veggies and freshly washed greens are 100% natural so 100% healthy. Minimal dirty dishes (1 or 2 plates and some tongs) when using the grill.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They... do though...?

Yeah, TV dinners have awful textures, because everything is basically steamed inside out. So like all your meats are wet with weird water and shit. Unless you got a pack that fucked up and there wasn't ice inside the material to hyperheat in the microwave, in which case that shit dries out completely and becomes all crunchy and weird.

If we're talking disgusting food textures, TV dinners are some of the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.