• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

friskybobcat

The Fallen
Nov 28, 2017
You're being overly dismissive of all these very solid suggestions.

So please go ahead and be a defeatist prick and slowly kill yourself with a shitty diet.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I leave cooking big meals and experimenting with new things to the weekend, in the week I stick to quick things I can prep and cook in 10-15 mins max. Make extra so you can have leftovers the next day, cook rice etc in bulk to cut down on cooking time - noodles freeze REALLY well and don't get mushy or mealy at all like rice and potatoes can. I cook in bulk when I have time like on a Sunday and portion them up in containers or bags, take them out and leave in the fridge to defrost. Those kind of things make it much easier to eat well every day.

A bowl of stir fried noodles or rice with a ton of veg - some spring onions, garlic, ginger, chopped veggies, soy, sesame oil a couple of eggs, bang, done. Takes 10 minutes from turning on the hob to shoveling it in your face.

Get a crock pot, OP. It is 100% impossible to fuck up a meal in a crock pot. It's like game genie for when you're just learning to cook. Just take some meat, some veggies, literally any flavor of thing you like, and throw it into a crock pot, put it on high, then go to work. When you come home, every single time, delicious food, always. A full meal in a crock pot can be had for like maybe $15, and it'll feed you for days.

Trust me, it is absolutely impossible to fuck up food on a crock pot.

Give you an example of a meal with a crock pot -- buy 2lbs or so of pot roast out of your grocery store, grab some baby carrots and potatoes and mushrooms, and head to the spices section of your store and look for these:

9aHeDv8.jpg

Throw all the ingredients into the crock pot on high and let it cook for 8 hours. When you serve, open a can of green beans and maybe make some white rice, and serve together. Bam, meal for days for under $15. There are tons and tons of things you can make with a crock pot. Chili, stew, pot roast, cheese dips, broccoli and rice, etc.

Take out and especially tv dinners are loaded with salt, you'll be very unhealthy to eat that way. They're also expensive. It's so much cheaper and easier and even healthier (although not that healthy) to eat with a crock pot.

I hope you meant low not high, otherwise you gonna ruin your meal by cooking on high for 8 hours. This is the pot roast with sweet potatoes and carrots I made yesterday, cooked it on low for 7 hours.

AvaagC.jpg

Ava5cv.jpg

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You make 40 bucks per pay check and you eat takeout? What?!

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Imo, there's no need to be too proud to start with the basics.

Get a cookbook for begginers or look for youtube tutorials or whatever and just copy what they are doing.

No need to get fancy, just easy meals that take 20-30 min. to make.

Imo, it's hard to keep the discipline to cook for just oneself. but it's worth it to not eat processed shit at least 3-4 days a week. Your body (and your tastebuds) will thank you.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I know what I said.

Even as a kid, coming home from school and learning that we were having pot roast for dinner was one of the most disappointing things
My mom makes some pretty awful pork chops, but that doesn't mean pork chops are bad. I went to someone's house once and their mom had baked some pork chops with apples and it was the single greatest pork chop I've eaten in my damn life.

The moral of the story is, just because one person didn't make a good pot roast, doesn't mean all pot roast is bad.

Plus, you can use a slow cooker for other things, too. Chili is nearly impossible to fuck up.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope you meant low not high, otherwise you gonna ruin your meal by cooking on high for 8 hours. This is the pot roast with sweet potatoes and carrots I made yesterday, cooked it on low for 7 hours.

AvaagC.jpg

Ava5cv.jpg

Er yeah, low, not high haha. Just put that sucker on low and let it slow cook all day long and it'll come out so tender and delicious. Crock pots are idiot proof.

I just finished some roast beef left overs a few hours ago, haha.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey OP, Do you actually want to cook better? Or was this thread just your way of admitting that you are addicted to fast and frozen foods?

Pickleslips

Jan 25, 2018
Get a flank steak, salt it and set aside (1 hour from the fridge)
Get some greens. Purple onion sliced thin. Basil. Coriander. Slice it up. Some pickles if you want.
Mix some seseme seed oil, thai fish sauce, lightnsoy and olive oil (in that order from least to most)
Blast steaks till medium
Rest em 10
Slice against the grain
Mix it all and youve got a rad healthy easy delicious dinner. A basic thai salad. And all the storable ingredients will last you tonnes of salads and are very useable in everything.

Living off take away and frozen food is for people who want health problems.

Also, how did you fuck up the skewers? In prep or cooking? Because once u fuck it, you won't do it again.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Get an instant pot. There's a bunch of great recipes where you just put everything in and set the timer.
There's also a lot of other recipes that reviewer more effort too but you can work your way up to it.

Or make lots of casseroles in the oven. No need to give up.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
It's far cheaper in the long run to cook, but maybe start with easier stuff? Not many people are overnight experts and anything can suck if you aren't good at it. As you get more experienced it tends to become fun, because you get to experiment and start learning better was to do things or technique. Always remember to use your resources, recipes are great, but if you need to see it, YouTube is better.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
My wife and I made a potato/egg/onion thing for dinner last night. Probably cost like $3 for ingredients and I have left overs for lunch.

It's wooooorth it to figure out cooking

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats not even an economical solution you're going for tho. Learn how to do basic food and go from there. Dont just jump into a 39 dollar meal youve never done and go "aw fuck this shit sucks"

Knowing how to cook is essential for an adult. Both for your economy and as knowledge.

Just getting frozen foods and take out is gonns fuck up your wallet real fast.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
There are plenty of dishes that are cheaper, quick to make, and you can make several portions to eat throughout the week.
I usually cook 2-3 times a week. This way, on most days i just get home, heat it up and eat. 10 minutes and i'm done.

TV dinners always taste bland when compared to a simple freshly made dish, and are worse for your health.
With takeouts it could be good and bad, it depends on what you have available near you, how much it costs and if it is diverse enough for you to have a balanced diet.

When you're talking about a specific and more complex dish, it happens to everyone. Who hasn't made big plans for an amazing meal only to end up eating out because they made a mistake. Just get the basics down first.
- When, why and how to season something.
- How to cook rice/pasta/beans.
- How to grill/fry protein.
- How to make a salad that tastes good to you with the minimum of condiments.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
I can't cook at all, but all the advice by people here is extremely helpful. So thank you everyone!

Having said that, OP, you are being extremely dismissive about every post here. It's actually very offputting. Not sure if you're doing it for fun or if that's just how you actually are. In either case you should knock it off and grow up.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Experience is costing money I really don't have
Try some easier stuff OP I mean like the basics of basics so it's damn near impososble to waste your money. Think of it this way too... How many months, years, days, whatever, have you spent extra on take out or TV dinners. A few dollars lost in practice is nothing compared to the overall savings of learning to cook

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
We had that issue especially with an infant. Always tired to cook but dis so most of the time still. About 2 months ago we read about meal prepping and tried it out. It was life changing...we made 3 different dishes on Sunday to serve up until at least Thursday. Was refrigerated/frozen so if you are not against reheating food this is perfect for you.

Right now we get home at 6 PM and pop the food in the microwave, then take care of baby/other stuff after. Also, because we meal plan, we only shop for the stuff we will be cooking at the grocery store which saves us even more money. Friday and Saturday we do some kind of takeout/restaurant or whip something up that's easy because we have more time...

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Get a sous vide if you like delicious steaks, seriously a game changer for me and it's almost impossible to screw up.

Mr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
That could work Depending where you live ...... take out is expensive in Toronto. Uber eats can especially go to hell

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Cook simpler things that are harder to fuck up.
This. Even a simple sandwich can be tasty with the right ingredients.

Also, you should usenyour time wisely when cooking. Waiting for something fry? Start cleaning dishes. While your butter is melting in the pan put water inside dirty glasses or plates. These small things add up. Usually I finish cooking at the same time that I'm done cleaning my dishes.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
I'm with you on the crock pot thing. Generally produces bland mush of one flavor (beans in particular) and is only good for cooking pot roasts or other cheap cuts of meat. And they're not that much less work than just cooking normally -- you still have to set aside time to prep ingredients, clean the pot, and put it away, so why not just add an extra 10-15 minutes and prepare something fast on the stove?

Don't eat takeout and TV dinners every night, though. What the fuck.
Use a liner so you don't need to clean the pot...

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Man, don't do that. I ate a lot of tv dinners/fast food in my early 20s and it was horrible for me. I started actually cooking for when a date would come over, and then I kept the habit. It did me a world of good. If you're interested, I'll take the time to post my simple bachelor recipes that will be ten times tastier and better for you than tv dinner sludge.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP for real, I didn't start cooking until eight months ago when I moved into my appartment.

I started off small, literally eating chicken breasts, making sandwiches, oatmeal, basic veggies. It's a lot of trial and error and learning the basic blocks, just like any skill in life.

Now I'm buying whole chickens at my supermarket for 99 cents a pound, cutting them up for a weeks worth of dinner, saving the spine and innards and freezing them so I can make homemade stock during the winter. With the stock I can substitute store-bought stock, make my own chicken soup and so forth.

Out of around five to six dollars, you get easily enough food for three-five meals, depending on the sides you wish to have.

Look into white fish as well, they are super easy to cook and extremely identifiable when they are done cooking.

Pork is cheaper than red meat, so substitute that to save money as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to second or third the suggestions for a subscription meal service like Blue Apron/HelloFresh/etc. They give you all the ingredients for a meal and simple instructions for putting it together. It's cheaper than eating out, it's pretty hard to mess up the recipes, you learn how to cook stuff, you can keep the recipe cards for later to buy stuff later without them, and if you're a total cheapass guy like me you just cancel your membership after the promotional periods where meals come to $5/person and start up with another one. Right now they keep on spamming me with discount deals if I come back, and there are so many of these services (there's also Home Chef, Plated, etc.) so you can just stop and resume deliveries constantly for less than the retail price.

As for the dishes stuff, my recommendation is that there's a lot of recipes you can make where you reuse stuff (make things in your pan, then make more stuff using the drippings in that pan) that will cut down on dishes. I'd also recommend cleaning as you go—I'm kind of forced to do this because I don't have counter space, but in the long run it saves you some time and you aren't left with a pile at the end that feels frustrating.

But really, it's worth it to try the advice here. Eating prepared meals and/or eating out all the time is unhealthy and/or extremely expensive. You'll be doing yourself and your wallet a world of good if you learn to cook (not to mention boosting your social skills.)

cyress8

Avenger
From all the post from the OP. They seem to be rushing their cooking and not having enough patience. You need to plan ahead if you want to properly cook.

If you are a new cook and trying a new recipe then research, research, research. Cooking is a hell of a lot easier thanks to youtube and multiple recipe websites.

Oct 26, 2017
OP get a Hot Pot and a Rice cooker.

MIssisippi roast in a hot pot is like 4 ingreidents and teastes delicious with rice.

literally, throw everything int he hotpot, walk away for 8-12 hours

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
out of that 30$ how much was it for the meat only?
il ask since you probably bought a bunch of seasoning and stuff to flavor the meat. those seasoning arent one time use. as for meat, il think if its 30$ worth of meat then it will be couple meal worth.
like other mention, go for easy to cook meals and dont over season your food. best to tweak/add more flavor after the dish is done so that you can taste it. since the cooking portion you cant really taste how much x amount of season will be right or not.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You just need an Instant Pot.

Toss in ingredients, stir that shit, turn that shit on, delicious food.
the power of technology. I will always advice people to learn WHY recipes are the way they are, like why saute the onions/garlic, why you dont put file into the gumbo until its cooked, or why you dont cook Pasta for longer than so-and-so minutes, etc. But there's so many easy time saving ways to make food now. There's millions of recipes for something like the Instant Pot.

Look, Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak Pasta. You dont even have to cook the damn pasta separately anymore. Brown the meat, add ya ingredients, shut the lid, High Pressure for 5 mins, BAM. Delicious food, and lots of it. Way better than a damn TV dinner OP...

Instant-Pot-Philly-Cheesesteak-Pasta-4.jpg

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
lol but.. they kind of do
I've turned even the cheapest TV dinners into real amazing meals. The trick is to use the oven and use the ingredients as part of another meal. The sweet and sour chicken ones are a breeze to work with. I usually just use a cast-iron on the stovetop for those then finish in the oven. Best part is, you don't really need to add salt thanks to upping the ingredients. Then again, I like to tinker.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Best advice I can give you: make your own salads. You really can't fuck that up and as long as you balance TV dinners with salads you should be ok.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Fucks up cooking so wants to eat frozen food that taste like fucked up cooking...

Burned spaghetti...

Slow cookers make food that taste bad...

I don't even know wtf I'm reading but if OP is for real... try again. Don't kill yourself with high sodium shit food. Get a rice cooker, etc. and try again. We've all cooked some shitty meals here and there; it's still food. Set the bar lower than something that might result in you throwing out $30 worth of food.

Status
Not open for further replies.