• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I've been eating professional food for years. It's the best. I'll eat raw stuff, but anything complicated, I'm more than happy to pay someone else to make.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
OP as someone who absolutely sucked at cooking until like last year, just look into bits like Basics With Babish and other quick food tip spots on Youtube

Or try some meal kits like Hello Fresh and such, those take all the guesswork out

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of great suggestions here and I feel like OP is just ignoring them. OP, you're not leaving much room for "debating" when people give you good advice and you disregard them all. If you want to eat like garbage and waste your money for the rest of your life, go ahead - but don't make a thread about it and then be dismissive of everyone when you're not even willing to try to be a decent cook.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I've turned even the cheapest TV dinners into real amazing meals. The trick is to use the oven and use the ingredients as part of another meal. The sweet and sour chicken ones are a breeze to work with. I usually just use a cast-iron on the stovetop for those then finish in the oven. Best part is, you don't really need to add salt thanks to upping the ingredients. Then again, I like to tinker.
Valid point, im imagining straight up tv dinner trays where its like little sections of different foods like mac n cheese mush, a tiny mushed together meat slab, and a tiny corner of mashed potatoes. lol. I know there are some higher end tv dinners that you can definitely incorporate or turn into an entirely different meal.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Valid point, im imagining straight up tv dinner trays where its like little sections of different foods like mac n cheese mush, a tiny mushed together meat slab, and a tiny corner of mashed potatoes. lol. I know there are some higher end tv dinners that you can definitely incorporate or turn into an entirely different meal.
The Banquet ones lol
sweet-sour-chicken-meal-53937.png

I've turned that into,:
Baked-Sweet-and-Sour-Chicken-NEW-3.jpg

Canned pineapples (or fresh of course), half pound of chicken - (rotisserie, canned, fresh), some spring onions, a red pepper or two and some ginger or whatever spices you enjoy. If you have cornstarch or flour + brown sugar , that'll thicken the whole thing up a bit for that kinda glaze. Extra rice on the side.

It's barely worth it to combine, but if I'm running low on ingredients for something, I'll open up a TV dinner and incorporate. I'm also 130LBs so I manage lol

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Lots of great suggestions here and I feel like OP is just ignoring them. OP, you're not leaving much room for "debating" when people give you good advice and you disregard them all. If you want to eat like garbage and waste your money for the rest of your life, go ahead - but don't make a thread about it and then be dismissive of everyone when you're not even willing to try to be a decent cook.
The thing I don't get is that OP is rather poor (40 bucks per paycheck. Even weekly that's poverty level) yet he wants to waste more money?

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Crockpot and rice cooker are the two best devices to have in a kitchen. Crockpot because you can cook a multitude of things easily, roasts, ham, ribs, spaghetti/pasta. And rice cookers because who doesn't like rice? Cook some rice and fry some chopped onions in a pan and an egg in another pan, add a little salt and pepper, and you have a quick easy meal right there.

Oct 27, 2017
My SO and I cook most nights but we split our nights between cooking pasta/chicken/beef/steak/Instant Pot/ type dishes with super simple stuff like.... hot dogs, or frozen pierogis or whatever and occasionally ordering in. Like it's fine to not want to cook a whole big meal every night and fall back to some simple thing you can just pop into an oven or microwave or just ordering some chinese food.

If you are routinely screwing up basic dishes like spaghetti without figuring out what you're doing wrong - sorry brah that's on you. Everyone can learn how to do it.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing I don't get is that OP is rather poor (40 bucks per paycheck. Even weekly that's poverty level) yet he wants to waste more money?
I think OP said $40 has been budgeted for weekly cooking, which isn't actually too hard to work with if you're single/living alone.

I just last week made a beef thai massaman curry for $25. It tasted phenomenal and lasted me all week. OP just needs to keep practicing and slowly build up his/her skills. It'll save a crap ton of money in the long run and it's a wonderful skill to have when you have a family/kids, or even guests dropping by.

Don't give up, OP.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I think OP said $40 has been budgeted for weekly cooking, which isn't actually too hard to work with if you're single/living alone.

I just last week made a beef thai massaman curry for $25. It tasted phenomenal and lasted me all week. OP just needs to keep practicing and slowly build up his/her skills. It'll save a crap ton of money in the long run and it's a wonderful skill to have when you have a family/kids, or even guests dropping by.

Don't give up, OP.
Ok. 40 bucks is going to be hard to stretch on takeout and TV dinners.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's probably a good path to high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless you're talking about super cheap microwave dinners that are like $3-5 a pop, it will definitely be cheaper in long run to cook your own stuff.

Rice in a bag + chicken breast on a George Forman grill
Cut the chicken up, put it in a bowl w/ rice and add shredded cheese. Throw some hot sauce on it and voila, damn tasty dinner that is super fucking easy to make, impossible to fuck up and really cheap. (Wife and I call it chicken party in a bowl)

Wife and I hate to cook but eating out really adds up over time so we try to cook simple meals when we can. I agree that if you're making complex dinners the materials can easily cost the same as if you just order out. And if you hate/suck at cooking then you're probably better just eating out.

Also don't take shame in eating out a lot if you can afford it. Chef's are professionals for a reason, they make food better than you probably can and if you have a lot of options to choose from you can find plenty of healthy stuff.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I never buy them. How much are they?
It's been awhile, but in my area you can usually pick up 3 for ~$10.

They're not exactly filling or any good, but I used to keep a few in my freezer for when I was lazy. If you're a larger person you might need to eat two, which would start to stretch the wallet.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Kebabs are specifically a high effort, low reward (in volume) meal. Get a slow cooker for $20-30 and make high-volume meals like stew, pulled pork & rice, soup, spaghetti (not in slow cooker), etc. This will fill the majority of your meals (ESPECIALLY lunch leftovers).

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sushi is actually incredibly easy to make at home if you live near a Japanese supermarket.

Otherwise you'll never source a small enough amount of sushi grade fish, unless you really can eat three pounds of fish or am hosting a party.

I do live near several Japanese markets and the sushi grade fish is no where near the level I can get at a sushi restaurant near those markets lol. Like yeah you can get a block of salmon for $10 to make 2 or 3 salmon sashimis and it's very easy but I was never satisfied with the quality.

Trying to make like a "volcano roll" or something exotic is not incredibly easy. A spicy tuna roll sure but that's cheaper at the restaurant lol

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you. Cooking fucking sucks. It take way too much of your spare time and in the end it is never as good as it is when a pro made it.

What I do right now is trying to figure out the best approach to this. Need to find healthy enough alternatives and the price should not be too high.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Do what you want to do, but I highly recommend at least having a home made meal every so often. Not only is it healthier, but cheaper as well.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Just stick to simpler stuff if you aren't a good cook. Or at least stick to it while learning.

I mostly stick with easy things with few ingredients and leave more complex things for when we eat out. Some protein (fish, chicken or tofu most often) with some simple seasoning, some steamed or lightly sautéed vegetable and some simple carb (rice, bread) or a second vegetable is our usual dinner. Breakfast is just something like yougurt and granola or oatmeal or fruit. Lunch just sandwich (or soup or salad) and some fruit.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
too much salt in those things
This.

I would be careful with take out, T.V. dinners all the time. T.V. dinners you can at least read what's in it. Can't with take out.

Did you read the recipe on how to make things or just look at a picture and guess?

Sounds like it, lol. Not a bad thing but still...
And watch youtube channels for cooking tutorials and use a lot less materials and ingredients until you actually figure out what you're doing so you're not wasting a shit ton of food and dishes.
Yup.

I did this to learn how to cook some things. Or, just follow recipes.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I love cooking and baking. You're going about it the hard way. Your goal right now is not to learn recipes, but techniques. Thinking techniques instead of recipes will allow you the freedom of creativity when you've gained more experience, which will make cooking really fun.

Start with roasting. It's easy and makes good, comforting, food. And you can roast a lot of things with minimal effort. Lazy days are roasting days for me.

Grilling is actually pretty complex because you have to know about hot spots, indirect heat v direct heat, building and maintaining temperature, ect. It is deceptively simple, I can see why your first attempt failed that way (because I was similar)

Each time you cook will be a learning experience in the beginning. Don't go complex at first, just do simple recipes that can teach you a technique. And don't try to learn a lot at once. If you're learning how to braise, make that your focus and do something like steamed vegetables (even a microwave bag of steamed veggies) or something like a salad for the side. Something you don't have to focus on or something you've mastered already.

If you want a good book, I recommend America's Test Kitchen Cooking School. It breaks things down with plenty of pictures and explains why things go wrong. Right now it's $17 direct on their site. I've subscribed to the web version of Cook's Illustrated for years and learned a lot from them because they explain the methodology and what can go wrong.

Those Tasty-type videos are cool looking but useless for teaching cooking. Recipe sites or books are also useless if they don't explain the mechanics of the recipe. When you have more experience you won't need it, but right now I recommend books and recipe collections that go into detail.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I do live near several Japanese markets and the sushi grade fish is no where near the level I can get at a sushi restaurant near those markets lol. Like yeah you can get a block of salmon for $10 to make 2 or 3 salmon sashimis and it's very easy but I was never satisfied with the quality.

Trying to make like a "volcano roll" or something exotic is not incredibly easy. A spicy tuna roll sure but that's cheaper at the restaurant lol

Oh you're trying to make rolls. Okay I wouldn't know how hard that is. When we do sushi at home we typically make nigiri.

It's cheaper for us to buy the fish than to eat it at the restaurant, but that's probably just a function of where we eat sushi. I haven't had sushi from a place that serves American style rolls on a really long time.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This describes me pretty well from Age 21 - 25. My weekly dinner diet mostly consisted of:

• Monday: Some bland pasta with bland sauce and store-bought frozen meatballs. like $2/meal at the most
  • Tuesday: Frozen/boiled Pierogies w/ steamed-in-the-bag microwave vegetables. Similarly can't be more than $1 or $2/meal
  • Wednesday: "Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas" which were frozen fried chicken cutlets/patties, that I'd microwave and cut up into strips, douse in Ken's buffalo sauce, put some blue cheese dressing on, shredded cheese, and bake them in tortillas. Probably $2-3/meal, and this was definitely my favorite meal
  • Thursday: Some variation of one of the previous 3, or perhaps hot dogs, or perhaps those microwaved sandwiches
  • Friday or Saturday, I'd usually go out to eat or get takeout. Sunday who knows.
I ate cheap. Since living with my now wife it's all changed and our meals have to be these fancy things that cost at least $8-$20/meal, sometimes more. But goddam I could go back to those $2-$3 dinners. Back in the day if I had someone coming over my house/apt for dinner, I'd usually make one of a few things... Chicken cabonara + pasta, Mac & Cheese, Kabobs from the super market, Chicken pasta alfredo.

Trouble with going from Zero to Kababs is that you don't have any of the things you need ot make good kababs, so you have to buy them all. You get some recipe which calls for all of this fancy shit, spices, fancy rice, and you end up having to buy a lot of stuff you don't have normally so you spend like $50 on it. It's easier to make good meals once you get a base of some things.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Crockpot. You can cook a meal and it will last you a week. Just look up "super easy crockpot recipe" and bam. Don't do take out and tv dinners. Your wallet and body will regret it.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I would be careful with take out, T.V. dinners all the time. T.V. dinners you can at least read what's in it. Can't with take out.
I mean you can, most fast food places list the nutritional value(lol) of each item on their menu on their website, and many have documentation with the same information in their restaurants. Not like it means much though, because surprise surprise all they will tell you is the majority of the food they serve isn't good for you.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand? It's costing money for experience? Just eat your shitty food till it gets better.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand? It's costing money for experience? Just eat your shitty food till it gets better.

This dude has a broken record of self pity a mile long.

He doesnt listen to advice or take criticism well or ignores it outright. He has a history of similar "woe is me, im a terrible person" threads that all follow the same shtick.

We've tried to help him, but he just keeps doing the same shit and at this point he's just becoming a parody of himself now.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are much simpler recipes that are hard to mess up. I'm not a good cook, but i'll do stuff like cook some sausages (easy) and saute some onions (very easy) and throw them in a hotdog bun and that's a meal right there. Or even stuff like parmesan crusted chicken is really easy to do by just combining bread crumbs and parm cheese and coating chicken breast with it and then cooking in the oven.

Start simple and slowly get more complex as you get more comfortable.

Kebabs are specifically a high effort, low reward (in volume) meal. Get a slow cooker for $20-30 and make high-volume meals like stew, pulled pork & rice, soup, spaghetti (not in slow cooker), etc. This will fill the majority of your meals (ESPECIALLY lunch leftovers).

How dare you not mention chili.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
doing it yourself vs having it already prepared means you can't control what goes in you body. all them tv dinner crap has way too many unwanted ingredients. some of it are just filler. even the meat product arent 100%, there's fillers in it. while you spend more money doing it yourself. you save money and get more. get them whole fruits and veggies. theres some items you can skip. like the frozen prepped veggies. some are super convenient. some you are better off getting it whole and doing it yourself and is cheaper.
The thing under most ovens that people store their pans in
LOL. legit use my oven to store pots and pans year round. never enough cabinets for it.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
What I don't get is if your budget is so damn tight, why the fuck are you dropping $30 on one meal. Like for real.

Just make easy pasta / rice dishes with one protein and frozen veggies until you don't suck at it. Get ingredients on sale.

You're not going to make food that taste like restaurant quality from the getgo. Don't rush it and pay attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.