• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I just started playing a few weeks ago. Kamoshida just confessed for all the crap he put students through. I love Persona 3 and 4 but why did it take me over 3 weeks to get to this part? It's the damn UI. It bothers my eyes, it's too busy, it's flashy and also makes combat take even longer, well the splash screen after a victory. The contrast in the UI colors especially seem to really make my eyes tired looking at the game. I've had headaches too but I don't know if the game is to blame or coincidence since I never really experienced headaches from FPS games.

How many damn times does this need to happen? It makes exploring a dungeon more annoying. I enjoy the combat but this is just a long animation. Give me a static screen. After running around the first palace and exploring everything, finding every chest, trying to find as many monsters to capture and fuse, I grew very sick of this screen. Even if I do mash the X button it's just too long.

The constant movement too also bothers me.

nifovch22kbz.gif

Another thing that bothered me while in the first palace is this green...thing over the interface. Why is this here? Why does running have to make it harder to see? Also while is everything so damn huge? Almost the entire right side of the screen is covered in UI elements.

Kamoshida_s_Castle_Screenshot_2017_05_21_20_31_40.png

The menu itself seems very busy. The left side shows the current gameplay, overlaid with the game's thematic crimson. The right side features art of the main character, the health and magic points graphic we saw on battle screen. It's very pretty but also problematic for me.

1*P1ZpJoADmVLHN2vjq0cmqw.jpeg

Down the middle, the actual list of action breaks several typographic rules. It's not easy to read (character size isn't consistent, characters in the same word can differ dramatically), and other than the fact the lists goes from top to bottom, there isn't a lot of hierarchy to show what's most important. The clutter on the screen, the legibility of the font, and the relatively simple color scheme seem problematic from a UX perspective.

While out in the real world I can deal with it but I'm still annoyed by the shop interface. Takemi is the best and is worth the constant headache of this animation but it just seems needless to me. I go to a shop to get what I need and to get out. This just makes it take longer for me and makes it harder on my eyes.

1*5sBiT401p210fZHv0i5n_g.gif

1*jlozwyvneYG06TNULbQe4A.gif

TLDR: The UI is very stylish but really strains my eyes and ruins my overall enjoyment of the game.

Pretty but also too busy for me.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry you feel like that OP but I wouldn't want the menu any other way.
Even after 150h with the game I was still impress by those menus

TGR Onix

Nov 3, 2017
You're definitely in the minority. I saw a video describing in great detail how amazingly designed the UI and that resonates with most who played it. THOUGH I will admit the splash screen after battles did take a little too long to move past each segment.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The green effect around the screen mimics the idea of being inside the Metaverse. Similar to how the screen had TV static when exploring dungeons in Persona 4 to mimic being inside the TV World. I really don't see how its hard to see, but that's your opinion.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm the opposite. I actually loved the UI and the menus but hated everything else about the game.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To each their own, but I can't think of a game with better UI imo. It oozes style, yet I never felt it was straining to look at.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the shop menus, we're not gonna see very often anyway, so I'm okay with them being stylish and memorable. But I do think the main menu could be toned down a little to make it easier on the eyes after many hours of game time. Disagree on the victory screen. I loved Joker starting running while the battle spoils and exp are delivered on screen. It made more sense to me than if they were all standing there posing victory since the games are about heists. Of course if there is a way to skip the sequences altogether it would be better, but loading is a thing.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't begin to imagine why you'd prefer static boring menus over Persona 5's UI. You learn the menus anyway so it all becomes fluid. So much better than the menus in other RPGs.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I love the UI in Persona 5. It's super stylish and unique. I can't say that I ever had any issues with it straining my eyes or affecting the playability of the game either. I guess that could depend on TV setups and an individual's eyes.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I just finished persona 5 today, and i absolutely loved the UI, one of the best things about the game. Rest of the game is fantastic as well.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
I've finished the game twice and I still think it's one of the best ui I've ever seen in a game.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I think they look incredible and elevate the game. The game's aesthetics are so cohesively tied to every bit of its fabric. Every piece of that game compliments its other pieces and the UI is no different.

The amount of time you spend in menus is never an issue because of the visual feedback the UI provides. It releases just as much seratonin as playing the game.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
While I won't agree with you, I'm sorry to hear that it gives you strain. That's the last thing a UI should do.

I still think it's one of the best UI's I've seen this gen, but I can understand where you come from saying it's quite a busy thing.
The pause menu alone a lot of parts can really blend in with one another due to the use of black and white.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
I disagree, the clutter and style is actually totally married with clarity and contrast. There are thousands of tiny details that make it actually very easy to see everything that matters.

I'm visually impaired so I understand if a lot of it didn't work for you, but I can't imagine it being anything more than a triumph that I can enjoy all this flashiness and still have lots of blank space to direct my sight and large wild fonts that still convey the info without straining my eyes.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love the UI and transition from battle to dungeon. The menus themselves never bothered me. Its flashy and stylish. Even after 2 playthroughs.

OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
While I won't agree with you, I'm sorry to hear that it gives you strain. That's the last thing a UI should do.

I still think it's one of the best UI's I've seen this gen, but I can understand where you come from saying it's quite a busy thing.
The pause menu alone a lot of parts can really blend in with one another due to the use of black and white.

I don't hate it. The style is unique and apparently conceals some loading which makes it easier to swallow the after battle splash screen.

The strain is what bothers me the most. I want to just spend an afternoon or a weekend playing this for too many hours but I can't without actually feeling fatigued somewhat which is frustrating because I love Persona and Shin Megami Tensei both.

I don't want everyone thinking I don't like the UI simply because of the look. I could get pass some of the odd unorthodox UX choices if it didn't bother me physically.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is dangerously wrong.

It purposefully breaks multiple typographic rules and owns them, it's all done purposefully to create an effect. UI like this takes a wild amount of effort, I wouldn't diss it.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Down the middle, the actual list of action breaks several typographic rules. It's not easy to read (character size isn't consistent, characters in the same word can differ dramatically), and other than the fact the lists goes from top to bottom, there isn't a lot of hierarchy to show what's most important. The clutter on the screen, the legibility of the font, and the relatively simple color scheme seem problematic from a UX perspective.

This reads pretty much like what I am telling my design students, but there's a major difference between knowing the rules, and knowing how to break them. In this case it's quite clear that it's too far for you, but there's also a large group of people who enjoyed the balance they took between style and readability. At no point did it bother me, and I think their choices held true all the way throughout.

Personally, I don't have the balls to even suggest something like this for the UI in any of the games I worked with, but I would never say they did anything wrong here.

Oct 25, 2017
it's literally about breaking rules, being unique and busy, full of movement and chaotic.
85df056486c0313ea8f2df04f3821c0a.jpg
8d0514d5f31bbedfa11b6a50c666d758.jpg
7af1e7e3867c2cc9ff9223bc88241cd4.jpg

71395ee4243e9804d4c7a4ed755682a0.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I get it but I said more than just that.
Sure, but breaking orthodox typographic or grid rules is not an issue, it's the intent of the style, that is chosen because it marries with the themes of the game itself. It sucks you are getting strain from it, but a design can't account for everything or everyone, specially in this case.

OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Sure, but breaking orthodox typographic or grid rules is not an issue, it's the intent of the style, that is chosen because it marries with the themes of the game itself. It sucks you are getting strain from it, but a design can't account for everything or everyone, specially in this case.

I give them credit for trying something unique. I'm not against it. It fits the game and theme just fine.

Maybe I'm just just getting old.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
The after game results are one of the worst "style-over-substance" decisions ever made in UI/UX design.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I remember, there's a lot of these screens you can tap through faster. Including the postcombat scene (IIRC?). You can also input commands in combat before the ui pops up - fx. all out attack after you've knocked everyone down.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played this game but the UI is like one of the few reasons I'm actually considering buying it, lol

OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
As far as I remember, there's a lot of these screens you can tap through faster. Including the postcombat scene (IIRC?). You can also input commands in combat before the ui pops up - fx. all out attack after you've knocked everyone down.

I mentioned that but knowing any Persona game; I'll be making several trips to any palace, fighting a lot and dealing with this for maybe a 100 hours. How much of that is devoted to the palace stuff? I don't know. Hell, I'd you don't press X the animation just keeps going. I can get masking a loading screen with it but why not just have it end on its own?

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned that but knowing any Persona game; I'll be making several trips to any palace, fighting a lot and dealing with this for maybe a 100 hours. How much that's devoted to the palace stuff? I don't know. Hell, I'd you don't press X the animation just keeps going. I can get masking a loading screen with it but why not just have it end on its own?

Oh I spent even more than 100 hours. Think my total was close to 130. But I enjoyed all of it throughout. Hope you get through it at some point op, there are some incredible high-points in the game.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
Personally I love the UI. It oozes style and I love how it transitions into different menus with it's animations.
I can see why some people might find that distracting or annoying though.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I think is one of the best UI ever, its not just beautiful, is also user friendly and really great in every detail. But I guess its not for everyone tastes.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I think artistically it's incredibly expired and I thought it made going through menus a fun experience. Also it's well laid out and easy to parse in my opinion.

I don't like the tint on the screen during dungeons and I wish I saw the entire scenario without that, but that's not really a UI issue.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's the only game I can think of where I enjoy going through the menus. I'm on NG+ and I'm still not tired of it.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
It's loud and busy but that is the stylistic choice.

I understand how someone would not appreciate the style. It really depends on taste.

Personally, its the best UI design ever, especially in a world where minimalist is the modern standard. They nailed their vision and executed 100%. It is bold and striking eyecandy. It makes you feel like you haven't seen anything like this in a game or media before. Which reminds me that I just have to mention - I felt the same way when watching into the spiderverse.

The fast menu made the turn based combat really good. The slow menus and flow plagued the genre for a long time. It basically set the bar for turn based rpgs for me.