• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm the complete opposite - I love the UI, but the game is just boring and unappealing

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I thought most of the UI was really well done but the exploration/dungeon ui was way too busy with lots of unnecessary information like the calender i didn't need there and the kaleidoscope border was just annoying, it was weird that there was no way too disable most of this stuff in the options. I started the game on ps3 but switched to rpcs3 for my second play trough with some mods:

51729821-8835cb00-2075-11e9-8caf-d8674f5fa8f3.png

Last edited:

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely style over functionality but I love it. It's so hard to pull off stuff like this due to technical restraints and resources UI teams usually don't have.

The fact they pulled it off is impressive. Some accessibility options might be nice to stop idle animations, adjust contrast/opacity,etc.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I can see how the UI seems bad in those gifs and random screenshots but most of that comes from the fact that the examples are mostly in Japanese.
If I hadn't played the game and looked at the OP I'd probably think the same thing but it's super smooth/snappy and actually super easy to use.
It fits the style perfectly.

It's definitely style over functionality but I love it. It's so hard to pull off stuff like this due to technical restraints and resources UI teams usually don't have.

The fact they pulled it off is impressive. Some accessibility options might be nice to stop idle animations, adjust contrast/opacity,etc.

I disagree with the style over function comment. One example that always comes to mind is the weapon shop UI. I don't think I've ever played a game with a functional shop UI that is as perfect as P5's.
Compare weapons, buy one, equip it and sell the old one without having to exit the shop is top tier UI design if you ask me.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I prefer that to a loading screen, and the UI style is basically what appealed me to play, since I dont like turn based games.

Oct 27, 2017
I just started playing a few weeks ago. Kamoshida just confessed for all the crap he put students through. I love Persona 3 and 4 but why did it take me over 3 weeks to get to this part? It's the damn UI. It bothers my eyes, it's too busy, it's flashy and also makes combat take even longer, well the splash screen after a victory. The contrast in the UI colors especially seem to really make my eyes tired looking at the game. I've had headaches too but I don't know if the game is to blame or coincidence since I never really experienced headaches from FPS games.

How many damn times does this need to happen? It makes exploring a dungeon more annoying. I enjoy the combat but this is just a long animation. Give me a static screen. After running around the first palace and exploring everything, finding every chest, trying to find as many monsters to capture and fuse, I grew very sick of this screen. Even if I do mash the X button it's just too long.

The constant movement too also bothers me.

nifovch22kbz.gif

This gif right here shows the only thing i don't like about Persona 5 UI. I don't like the long running in circle animation, i also don't like that you have to press X twice to show money and items you obtained. Couldn't they fit in just one screen?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I actually said on here before the game came out that I was worried the UI would become annoying after a while, but I ended up loving it

likewise. I've never heard of anyone saying P5 gets better. the best part of the game is the beginning

On both my playthroughs I'd say the high point of the game was around the pyramid dungeon personally, and I'd probably say I find the first dungeon the weakest for multiple reasons

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
After dozen and dozens of boring static UIs and the absolutely flavorless wave of minimalist design, the UI in persona 5 made me like the game A LOT more. Well it also helped that it nails the navigation of it in most parts(a few bad decision for weapon/armor buying and equipping). Movement is engaging so to infuse that into games that have a lot of passivity like turn based combat games is an approach I would like to see more.

Can't get behind the style over substance stuff when A LOT of other JRPGs or games commit very egregious navigation faux pas in comparison. Like Red Dead 2 was absolute garbage to navigate around menu wise, or in Divinity OS 2 no match actual price button when buying/selling and oof don't let me get started on Anthem. The way some games fuck up usability is astounding.

Persona 5 is very much substance by making 95% of all navigation interactions insanely smooth and logical. Like Persona 5 is basically one of the very few JRPGs ever to cut away list navigation selection by actually making use of all the buttons of the controller and introducing more fast access buttons to certain actions. How is that not functional substance?
But also the style of it is part of its substance.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The menus are extremely snappy. Even in the gifs you posted they are very fast and responsive. Takes no time at all to zip through them.

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
The UI was something I didn't have any problems with. The pacing, the endless cut scenes, the meaningless filler and the one hit kill mechanics are another matter though.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Usually a UI has two categories for me

Functional or bad.

Persona 5 is the first one that added awesome to that list. It's both functional and amazingly stylish at the same time

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
As others have said, the chaos and "rule-breaking" are very intentional, and IMO are well done. It reflects the personality and themes of the game, and ultimately, I think the design choices made here are very well reasoned and justified. Though yes, the unfortunate consequence is that it is inherently less functional as a UI.

You're not wrong, but neither are the designers.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
What is this supposed to mean? The game forces you to press x like 4 times after every single battle. It's obnoxious and for a game that lasts way too long it gets more and more annoying as time goes on.

I didn't like this ui either. Yeah it's stylish, but imo the problems outweigh the positives and I found it more irritating than cool from a usability stand point.
Pointing out it's problems doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. They chose to go after a vision and they achieved their vision, but if that vision includes some usability problems I'm going to notice them because the first function of the ui is for the player to use them and navigate through them.

Only on era indeed.

Last edited:

Shoon

Dec 25, 2017
Wow, first time I ever heard this complaint actually, not that it's a bad thing though. To each their own

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
While the UI in Persona 5 is the best that has ever been designed, it is very tiring to the eyes.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the OP. A lot of people bring up P5 as the best menus in the business, and while they're definitely cool and flashy and deserve praise for how unique it is, after playing the game for the first 20 hours, it gets to be a bit too much, at least for me. I totally agree on the battle results screen, way too long and annoying when you're playing a game for dozens and dozens of hours and you just want to keep going. Thankfully there's the option for auto battling. to make some areas quicker.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Im not really into the flashy Anime/Punk thing. I find it a bit tacky although I think its very well made.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Let's talk about it via text message.

UI?
What do you think of the UI?
Yeah...
Do you think the UI is bad?
We will get that UI!

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely loved the UI for this game. Beats the hell out of the generic shit we see in a majority if them

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they continue using stylization like that. Would hate to go back to boring "proper" menus

The007JiM

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a long time but i remember the green (yellow, red) color indicates the alert level of enemies in dungeon.

I love the UI but i can understand if it shock you the first minutes of playtrough. Give it some time.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I love the UI. Using UI and design elements to further a game's themes is pretty awesome.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Of course there are always outliers, but this is the first time I've heard complaints about the style of the UI in Persona 5.

Obviously I disagree. Just watching those gifs makes me want to fire up the NG+.

Garf107

Oct 27, 2017
I basically agree with you OP. I liked it at first but it gets tiring really fast, the pause menu being the worst offender. I liked P4's menus more.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It's way too much, especially when you're playing for 100 hours.

The pause menu especially is fucking annoying to go through.