• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
It strains the fuck out of my eyes and the lack of option to disable it contributes to p5's obnoxious style over substance

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like any design choice, especially visual design, it is incredibly subjective. Personally I found it both visually appealing and intuitive to use, but it stands to reason some might disagree.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
p5's obnoxious style over substance
This is a ridiculous statement, are we really going to pretend that anything that has a style to it is just covering its lack of content? Like it doesnt have a well liked battle system and is still using menus for the main combat? I know its easy to shoot out catch phrases, but come on now

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I'm not quite sure if this counts as derailing, but I am addressing it to the people in this thread who said they played and enjoyed P5.
Anyways, I'm surprised that so many people on this board purchased Persona 5. I don't think that the sexist and homophobic content is forgivable, or at least in the way that if you forgive one of your IRL friends for sexism or homophobia they will learn to be better after you forgive them and work with them. So why buy this game since it's not like you're trying to ne friendly by forgiving the sexist and homophobic elements?

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree and love the UI. I want to delete this game from my memory and just replay it new till my dying day.
I'm not quite sure if this counts as derailing, but I am addressing it to the people in this thread who said they played and enjoyed P5.
Anyways, I'm surprised that so many people on this board purchased Persona 5. I don't think that the sexist and homophobic content is forgivable, or at least in the way that if you forgive one of your IRL friends for sexism or homophobia they will learn to be better after you forgive them and work with them. So why buy this game since it's not like you're trying to ne friendly by forgiving the sexist and homophobic elements?
The same way we don't kick grandma to the curb when she rants about rap cars. Maybe the criticism reached Atlus and they'll do better next game.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
This is a ridiculous statement, are we really going to pretend that anything that has a style to it is just covering its lack of content? Like it doesnt have a well liked battle system and is still using menus for the main combat? I know its easy to shoot out catch phrases, but come on now
Persona 5 uses it's aesthetic to cover for a lack of accessibility and QoL features even in the face of the ones they already added to the system, on top of adding new issues by adding borderline crucial new battle system elements and tying them to social links, hamstringing players into doing content they may not want to do in order to access those features.

Even then, the game has no simplified UI option for people who experience discomfort, there's no option to speed up battle animations, there's no option to turn of attack and spell effects, there's no option to disable navigator comments, etc

Persona 5 wants to drown you in it's aesthetic and if any part of it disagrees with you you have to just eat shit and take it. It sucks.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
How can anyone possibly dislike the best UI in any game ever

garish adjective
gar·ish | \ ˈger-ish \

Definition of garish

1 : clothed in vivid colors
a garish clown

2a : excessively or disturbingly vivid
garish colors
garish imagery

b : offensively or distressingly bright : GLARING

3 : tastelessly showy : FLASHY
garish neon signs

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Persona 5 has a problem and is that although the UI is lovely to see, in terms of design functionality is VERY poor. It does not take the look to where it should go.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, criticism of P5 UI and menus, now i have seen everything.
You all will find a way to hate anything.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry you feel that way. I quite liked the UI all through my 90 hour playthrough. I stopped noticing it at some point. Muscle memory just had me going through options like some sort machine. It's the cancel/back sound effect that I don't like. Which is funny because the theme I have on my PS4 is P5 based. Lol 😂

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It's cool for like the first hour. Then it's just annoying. Especially that god awful victory screen. I don't know what they were thinking, it's so ridiculously long. I would normally try to end the fight with an all-out attack just so I could skip it.

Between that and the amount of filler that game has I never felt Persona 5 was a game that respected my time honestly.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is really a stupid comment and clearly you read nothing in the OP.
Is there a color mute setting you can use on your TV? I at least empathize with the colors being distracting and loud, but that can be addressed with a muting of the colors, no? I wish the game had a color blind mode, for what it's worth.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike how unfunctional the UI is in Persona 5. It's really bad how few navigation steps you have to go through to get to any function you need. It should be more like the Pokemon UI. Also the UI is too busy controller wise. Too many buttons that do too many things. It should be more like DQ in that respect and cut away a lot of shortcuts in favor of more navigation steps to become more functional. Then I have to memorize less buttons. Also really hate how unfunctional the snappyness is it should be like Xenoblade 2 in that respect and add a 1 second black screen loading buffer for menus and add some stutter when going into the Persona managing part like with blades. If it changes these things it would become more functional. In general I think compared to red dead 2 loading some of its UI parts is probably too fast.

Like more power to the op for having a subjective dislike of the flashiness that's fine but when I read all the "it's not functional" I really wonder what other games people look at there, doesn't help a lot of people don't even substantiate their opinion unlike the op.

I define functionality by minimize input actions to reach desired outcome, navigation speed(things like logical layout will generally relate back to the goal of minimize input actions or clarity of UI element definition to navigation speed). And by those two metrics I find it extremely hard to see how Persona 5 isn't like among the very top of UIs out there.

The UI animations in P5 take less time in execution than the black fade transition in some other games.
-----------
I will say I remember one particular weird hiccup about the persona 5 UI which is it kind of freezing up for a bit when loading the the town map in your own room which doesn't occur anywhere else.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chromie

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Is there a color mute setting you can use on your TV? I at least empathize with the colors being distracting and loud, but that can be addressed with a muting of the colors, no? I wish the game had a color blind mode, for what it's worth.

Just looking online at what some people do. Some mess with the contrast, some mess with brightness settings and such. I'll try next time I plan to play. I'd like to play for more than a couple of hours but it just seems like a chore right now with the fatigue.

I have a Vizio M60-C3. I'll have to check the settings.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just looking online at what some people do. Some mess with the contrast, some mess with brightness settings and such. I'll try next time I plan to play. I'd like to play for more than a couple of hours but it just seems like a chore right now with the fatigue.

I have a Vizio M60-C3. I'll have to check the settings.
Look into color muting. Contrast and brightness could help too but what you want most of all is to reduce the vividness of colors. So go into the visual settings and see what you can do about the colors specifically.

Feb 21, 2019
Well, thats an opinion to have I guess, OP.

I loved it, and thought it was super slick all the way through my 90 hour playthrough.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
I can totally see how some people would think it's cluttered with cool shit. And hard to see things. But fuck I think it's awesome.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I've been playing Persona 3 and its interesting to see the progression and style in comparison.

Persona 5 really has a feel of "this is how we've been wanting to make Persona and finally nailed it"

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say this—I understand the issues you're having, and I even understand your breakdown of all the UI and UX principles Persona 5 violates but that is principally the point. The game takes all your understanding of typography and legibility and throws it out the window and the end result to me (and to most people) is beautiful and stunning. Persona 5 is a triumph in UI in part because of its subversion of widely held understandings of what works and what doesn't. I'm not even getting into USABILITY here, where P5's smart mapping of most actions to a single button makes it far and away the best UI by default for JRPGs that otherwise see people fiddling endlessly with menus, but just in terms of how it looks, P5 achieves a singular clarity of vision that it follows through relentlessly with its UI as well to great effect.

Every part of P5 is in service to its core theme—aesthetic, art, soundtrack, gameplay, and yes, UI. I think how P5 manages to execute on a subversive UI and emerge so beautiful at the end is worth lauding, and while your issues with it are fair and valid, personally I think more games could stand to take some leaves out of P5's book, rather than adhering to the sterile aesthetic of most AAA games, like Horizon or The Division.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
Sounds like it causes the OP discomfort due to some medical eye condition.

That really sucks, but I think it's stylish as hell and flows really well. One of the best UIs in gaming.

If it caused me physical pain I would also dislike it, but that's a pretty specific and unique situation.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This hot take blows my fucking mind.

Persona 5's UI and music are the two very best things about the game.

I don't even know how someone could hate it haha.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
TLDR: The UI is very stylish but really strains my eyes and ruins my overall enjoyment of the game.

Pretty but also too busy for me.

I want to start by saying that I love how it looks in pictures BUT, even after loving Persona 2, 3 and 4... I have been unable to purchase and play this game:

Because of the UI.

Its extremely intrusive, its way too unnecessary and it actively disrupts the rest of the user experience in my opinion. It hides things in the background, it takes 300% more space than it needs, its just ...overdone.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to start by saying that I love how it looks in pictures BUT, even after loving Persona 2, 3 and 4... I have been unable to purchase and play this game:

Because of the UI.

Its extremely intrusive, its way too unnecessary and it actively disrupts the rest of the user experience in my opinion. It hides things in the background, it takes 300% more space than it needs, its just ...overdone.
I'll say this—I understand the issues you're having, and I even understand your breakdown of all the UI and UX principles Persona 5 violates but that is principally the point. The game takes all your understanding of typography and legibility and throws it out the window and the end result to me (and to most people) is beautiful and stunning. Persona 5 is a triumph in UI in part because of its subversion of widely held understandings of what works and what doesn't. I'm not even getting into USABILITY here, where P5's smart mapping of most actions to a single button makes it far and away the best UI by default for JRPGs that otherwise see people fiddling endlessly with menus, but just in terms of how it looks, P5 achieves a singular clarity of vision that it follows through relentlessly with its UI as well to great effect.

Every part of P5 is in service to its core theme—aesthetic, art, soundtrack, gameplay, and yes, UI. I think how P5 manages to execute on a subversive UI and emerge so beautiful at the end is worth lauding, and while your issues with it are fair and valid, personally I think more games could stand to take some leaves out of P5's book, rather than adhering to the sterile aesthetic of most AAA games, like Horizon or The Division.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, having a fancy stylish UI is an established staple of the franchise at this point. If you take that away you remove a big part of what makes Persona what it is. If you don't like it then maybe you should just play something else? Not everything has to be for everyone.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair most things will grate on or become stale to anyone by the 50-100 hour mark.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

I completely understand your point but in my particular case, it doesn't work.

Its certainly very pretty, but I feel like the game is attacking my eyes unnecessarily. I want to select things and perform actions in the game, but everything "explodes" in red and black when selecting those actions.

I would appreciate a bit more function over style in this case. I deeply enjoy P3 and P4 (they used blue and yellow very well and I had no readability issues), but P5 is just too much.

DongDong

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
User warned: Port-begging.
This game would be so much better on the Switch, and Microsoft Windows desktops.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
I just miss having the artwork, name and lv of the equipped persona in the main menu like in P3Fes...never knew why they removed that since persona 4.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played the game (and won't) but the UI always seemed like it was trying way, way too hard to be cool. Just personal taste, I suppose.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
I love the snapiness menus if not the stylization. But godamn the amount of UI elements taking up screen space while going through dungeons is obnoxious and distracting. An option to toggle them on an off with the touchpad would have been perfect

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Post combat animations delay is my main issue. Can't help but feel that this takes up unnecessary time but then again it could be just hiding loading.