• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel hopeless and really down. I just took some anti-depressants since my prescription ran out Saturday, so hopefully it helps. Have an appointment with psychiatry in a few weeks to help get some medication and therapy going. I don't think I would commit suicide since I tried it once before and I saw how my family and friends reacted, but it's still a thought that's deep inside my mind locked up.

I have a hard time watching movies, reading books, or playing video games since I'm too depressed to do any of that. I force myself to go to the gym, so that's the only thing I'm doing besides work at the moment. What do you guys recommend I do tonight to help cheer myself up?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Even missing one dose of an anti-depressant can throw you for a temporary loop. Not being critical at all as I've been there myself multiple times.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Just do whatever you cheers you up, be it big or small.

What's the reason you're feeling down?

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
This won't help right now, but when you're feeling more positive you should make a list of a few things that cheer you up and keep it somewhere you can access when you're feeling down in the future and force yourself to do, mine has some of my favourite movies, podcast episodes, and books on it. For me personally that has been a huge help whenever I feel my depression getting the better of me and it's good to have a plan prepared instead of reacting in the moment.

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, try not to miss a dose of your meds, it can throw you off-balance. I've done it by accident a few times and it's never been good. But hey it happens.

Try to hang in there. What is something positive you can see yourself doing right now that wouldn't be too difficult?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you stopped antidepressants for a while it can throw you for some crazy side effects, including worse depression temporarily

Oct 27, 2017
Just got back from vacation and I'm feeling this heavy! Sitting at work right now and feeling anxious about the coming bout with depression tonight. Hoping I don't sink to simply sitting in bed playing on my phone for hours on end, waiting for texts that never come.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel ya. I've been sick for a few months now and nobody can tell me why. I wish I were back on antidepressants because I find myself so lo and zoning out all the time. And sore. Probably pain from anxiety

We shouldn't go it alone

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
You sound like me honestly, I totally understand. I would say always take meds if possible. Keep yourself busy even if you don't have the energy, it can be something small. Watch some good comedies, make plans/goals for your future, reach out to someone who will be by your side if possible.
I'll chat with you too if you need somebody, sometimes it's nice to just let off some steam.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
Whatever it is you decide to, make sure it is something that generates some positivity. Stay away from anything and everything that can create negative vibes. It's easier said than done, but it's the best thing you can do for your mental health. And remember that there is always people you can talk to. If not friends, then here in ERA.

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
Try going to the gym, spend a lot of time with people you love, travel and/or meet new people and stay away from your smartphone and social media in general. Do something productive that helps you grow as a person.

If you feel like you are stuck in a comfort zone, try to break out of it by doing something you have never done before.

It helped me a lot but I don't know if this is helpful for you. Just try it.

Oct 25, 2017
Just know that any amount of time without your prescription can mess with you, that it's okay to feel sad and that this result is not unexpected. Acknowledge that and know that if you stick it out and embrace the plans you already have in place then you'll find your way out of it later. And the next time it happens you'll find your way out again. Keep going to the gym, keep making your appointments, keep finding excuses to spend more time active and less time idle. Doing things you've never done before can sometimes be even more beneficial by giving your mind fresh things to ponder.

You mentioned friends and family and how they reacted to your hard times and how that made you feel. Acknowledge to yourself that this means you love and are loved. Surround yourself as much as possible with people that make your life better, and people whose lives you make better. One of the nicest things to do when you're feeling bad is to try to brighten someone else's day in the meantime. Do something nice for someone, especially those who have had a positive effect on your life. Helping someone else does more to lift your own spirits than you might realize.

(And on the flip side, realize that it makes people feel good to help others and to feel like they have value to contribute. If someone wants to help you, don't turn them down. Let them. You're both doing each other a kindness to help and be helped.)

If you don't feel like yourself right now and feel lost about what to do with yourself, then maybe ask yourself what you think DarkMagician would ideally do right now as if looking at him from the outside, and do your best to be that person anyway. But don't worry about it if you fall short. You're a complicated person and not a cartoon character, you're not always going to feel like the exact same person that people expect when they look at you. That's not abnormal, don't feel like something is wrong with you if you feel that way. But sometimes it can help to try to be a person you choose, instead of letting your confusing aimless feelings dictate what you are. That can help me stay on track sometimes while I'm waiting to figure out normal again.

As for tonight? Well, if there's anyone around you can get out of the house with and do something low key then do it, even if it's just aimlessly driving and chilling. If not, well, sometimes it's nice to even go on a drive by yourself and make all the wrong turns on purpose to see what you find. Google has your back for when you're ready to go home. I also like to go to the pet store or dog park and watch the animals. And I like going to movies alone. It's surprisingly relaxing to see something by yourself with no other obligations to anyone. Doesn't even have to be something you're particularly excited for. Or you can go to your favorite food and dine-in, instead of to-go or drive through. Take yourself on a me-date.
If you feel self conscious about doing things alone, try to remember all the people you've noticed at the movies alone and how you felt about them. You'll realize that you didn't care and hardly noticed. It's no big deal.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I really hate hearing that, man. :( I hope you can get this sorted out as soon as possible. I wish I had some recommendations like you ask for, but I'm sort of at a loss there, especially if you can't bring yourself to read, game, etc. Can you get yourself out your front door? Maybe even if it's just for a walk?

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds silly, but maybe try your hand at an aquarium. Fish are pretty inexpensive pets and can be surprisingly rewarding to care for and watch. As someone who has suffered from some pretty paralyzing anxiety I have found keeping a small fish tank helpful. I also enjoy reading about the fish I'm keeping online and watching videos about their silly behaviors on YouTube. Not. A cure all but perhaps something to keep you occupied!

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
Hi, good on you to speak out. My suggestions are to call someone or a hotline, or hit up a therapy app. Might be easier if you've got some help instead of trying to get through on your own. But it'll pass. I hope sooner than later for you, friend. You are valuable always and no matter what.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
just know that medication WILL help. You may have to try different ones, and it may not fix everything, but they will make you feel better. so just try to push through it until you get that figured out. just keep reminding yourself that it will be better soon.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
When I get like that I just try to focus solely on what I'm doing at that moment. Big picture is the enemy, just focus on what you're doing right now, it helps me anyway.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Try going to the gym, spend a lot of time with people you love, travel and/or meet new people and stay away from your smartphone and social media in general. Do something productive that helps you grow as a person.

If you feel like you are stuck in a comfort zone, try to break out of it by doing something you have never done before.

It helped me a lot but I don't know if this is helpful for you. Just try it.

I agree with this.

From February to early April I hit some really bad depression where I just felt hopeless. I brooded on that for a bit and was in a bad place. It wasn't a good feeling and I knew I had to do something to overcome it. I hit the gym to keep myself occupied and didn't use my phone unless it was necessary. I went for a lot of aimless, lonely walks too.

Spending time with others really helped me the most though. I forced myself to go out and hang with friends and family and I feel like that had the biggest impact for me.

For tonight, I would personally go out and get a really nice comfort meal haha.

Hang in there OP, you'll overcome this

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
did something happen to you that's got you feeling some way OP?