• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
The Beyerdynamic's I've bought were very comfortable to wear, easy on the ears and head. Not sure about other brands but that's not something to overlook if you use them for hours on end imo!

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
Those aren't high end.

High end audio and noise canceling are not a match since the audio differs from the original source, that is if we are actually talking high end.

Something "high end" , easy to drive, exelent bass and not expensive would be the Cascade Campfire.

Jan 11, 2019
"High end" means a lot of different things to a lot of people. For me, that would mean you're spending above 600$ on a pair of headphones. I wouldn't recommend doing that if you're making the jump from 20$ earbuds. I'd recommend looking into the 150$-300$ range of headphones.

Personally, If you're going to spend Money on headphones I would consider the following:

- Cables need to be removable
- Bluetooth is neat but you should be able to attach a cable in case the battery has run out
- Individual parts can be replaced
- They suit your music preference: Do you like your headphones to be bass-heavy? Do you like the "Marshall" Sound of all highs and bass and less mids? I personally like mine to sound flat like a pancake.

Im currently rocking the AIAIAI TMA2. Lookie here: https://aiaiai.dk/

They are configurable and I happen to think they look great. I also think they sound really good. Check out their online configurator. The fact that I can swap on- and over-ear-cushions in a matter of seconds alone is a godsend. And swapping out the components does make a huge difference in how they sound.

pnEOiTt.png

They are not the best headphones money can buy out there but but they sound GREAT. I wouldn't trade them for anything and I've ditched all my other headphones. And they are comfortable for hours.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
OP, I'd just pick a retailer based on return policies and give each one a genuine shot within the return period and ultimately just keep the one that suits your lifestyle the best.

Personally, I have owned the Astro A50s and thought they sounded great but they didn't suit me because I didn't have a display that had the proper audio support for platform-agnostic setup (it was just a low-end gaming monitor with no optical in or out jack), so I was having to physically switch the optical audio cable between different platforms as needed and I fucking hated that and how it felt like the entire platform revolved around the amp, even though the amp was driving the actual audio quality.

I've not owned the Sonys but they've been on my radar since last year, a friend of mine picked them up and swears by them and uses them on every single thing he can connect Bluetooth to.

But yeah, headphone purchasing isn't as committed a choice as say, buying a gaming console -- most retailers have relatively lenient return periods for headphones, so I strongly suggest just giving them both a shot one after the other and staying with whichever suits you best during your testing period. Just make sure you're educated on the return policy of whoever you decide to go with.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Have the XM3's for music and film. Arctis Pro Wireless for gaming.

Think both are great.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
I would swap the A50 for an Arctis Pro Wireless. There are some conveniences that I miss from the A50, like tapping the left or right to balance dual audio or the mic, but it breaks easy and gets loose if you have a big head.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
I bought the Sony WH-1000XM3 two months ago and they are amazing. I work in a loud enviroment now and the noise cancelling is the best I experienced. Also these are the most comfortable ones I ever had, even after hours they are still fine.

I mostly use them for music and they sound fine. At first I didn´t use the sony app but now I kinda like it, especially for the adaptive sound control. They last quite long with a single charge and thanks to usb-c they also charge fast.

I would say go for them.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I have Bose QC35s and they're the best headphones I've ever owned. Those Sony headphones came out a little later though, but I've seen reviews (like from Marques Brownlee) that say they edge out the QC35s by a little bit.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I have both the XM2 and the XM3, and I think it needs to be stressed that you can choose to use them wired whenever you wish. This makes them far more ideal for gaming than what some people in this thread have indicated. I haven't noticed any latency (nor should there be any) while using them wired.

Basically, I use mine wireless when listening to music or watching movies, and wired when I want to play games. I like these headphones so much that I bought one set for home and one for the office (hence why I have both the XM2 and XM3).

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
OP says they want active noise cancelling headphones. 5+ people go on to recommend open back headphones.

lmaoooo

I don't know what's right for you in this scenario OP, but what I can say is please don't fucking buy Astros.

Signed,
Former Astro User

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
I have the WH-1000XM2 and I seriously doubt I'll ever upgrade, I can just worry about replacing the batteries whenever they die out.
I was able to find a replacement battery on the Sony site, it seems it uses the same as the previous 1000XM.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've had my Bose QC35iis for a bit now and they're the best headphones I've ever owned. The biggest thing as well is they're the first pair of headphones I'm actively taking care of. I never use them for exercise as I have a pair of Bluetooth ear buds for that.

Is the sound the best there is? No. They're decent and with the additional noise cancelation they do fine. Their biggest draw is the battery life and build quality. I use mine like for 8-10 hours a day while working and they last me anywhere from 2-3 days with decently heavy use. They also come with a headphone jack wire that turns them into a pair of wired headphones when needed, and with a two pronged jack for when you're in a plane and want to listen to their audio. I've had no need to look for the next latest and greatest headphones out there cause I'm happy with these.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've had my Bose QC35iis for a bit now and they're the best headphones I've ever owned. The biggest thing as well is they're the first pair of headphones I'm actively taking care of. I never use them for exercise as I have a pair of Bluetooth ear buds for that.

Is the sound the best there is? No. They're decent and with the additional noise cancelation they do fine. Their biggest draw is the battery life and build quality. I use mine like for 8-10 hours a day while working and they last me anywhere from 2-3 days with decently heavy use. They also come with a headphone jack wire that turns them into a pair of wired headphones when needed, and with a two pronged jack for when you're in a plane and want to listen to their audio. I've had no need to look for the next latest and greatest headphones out there cause I'm happy with these.

Same. I also use them for gaming. Had to get a separate wire from an older model that had a microphone on it to use it for voice chat in-game. It works fine, but the audio is a bit low for the people hearing me.

I tried the Sony ones in the store and the noise canceling is definitely a bit better. But for some reason this caused a lot of 'pressure' on my ears, making it feel like I'm underwater or like when you are gaining attitude quickly. Wasn't very comfortable to me.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I've got the Sony WH-1000XM3 and they are excellent. Very comfortable, brilliant sound quality, and the battery lasts forever! The noise cancelling is bliss, and makes my train commutes to work an absolute joy. Couldn't be without it now. The app for it is cool too, where you can change EQ etc. If you're considering the Sony's, there are also the Bose ones that a very similar and also get very good reviews. Both about the same price (at least in the UK they are).

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
My only negative point for the Sony WH-1000XM3 is that I can't wear them for extended periods of time in one go - they get too warm and my ears start to sweat. Something to note if you wanted to use it for long gaming sessions. (Maybe it's just me though).

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i think it is the universal objective truth that the Sony WH-1000XM series are the best high end headphones in the market for 2 years straight.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I tried the Sony ones in the store and the noise canceling is definitely a bit better. But for some reason this caused a lot of 'pressure' on my ears, making it feel like I'm underwater or like when you are gaining attitude quickly. Wasn't very comfortable to me.

This is something you get used to very quickly. It's a little uncomfortable in the beginning or if you wear them on only one ear, but isn't something you notice later.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
Love a headphone thread :) I did go quite a few years of buying new headphones on a regular basis. For the last 4 years I have used a set of Philips X1s and I can honestly say its the best technology purchase I have ever made. Bought them for ÂŁ120 from the Philips website.

Fantastic sound and comfort, use them most days for gaming and music.

While I have used wireless headphones and think the sound quality has improved a lot in recent years, I would always choose wired if practical to do so. I just feel you get a richer sound.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The Sony's. They are currently the only headphones i'm jealous of as a QC35 owner. Active noise cancellation is a godsend.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Sennheiser is my preferred brand as the 598s and 650s I have are god-tier for classical, pop, jazz, electronic, and rock, as well as for games, but the most important thing is to pick the sound signature you like the most. If you like warmth and bass, I would lean more towards the 650s, but I am not very well versed in other brands, and completely inexperienced in headphones over $500.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Sony's
No questions about any other pair.
I have the XM1s and they are amazing. I've read nothing but great things about the newer models.

I have the XM1 (m1000x) and the XM3. Had to get the newer ones when I saw them around 220 euro. And initially I could not help but feel "is this it?" regarding the difference.

But oh boy, recently started using the xm1 for gym and they don't sound that good to me at all. I didn't realise how much better the 3 was till i went back.
Also the improved battery life, usb-c quick charge and better NC makes life easier too.

Only downside to the 3 is, I find the touch controls less responsive. For me they were flawless in the 1's but now its a bit iffy.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you go wired just make sure you have the proper hardware to connect them to and proper source music. There's no point in buying high-end headphones if you're not able to get the most out of them.

Musician

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I was just recently in the same boat as you, op. After hours upon hours of research I went with the Audio Technica m50xBT's over the Bose 700 or Sony XM3's.

What I found was the the m50x's seemed to have better sound quality and a flatter, more "reference like" sound signature. From what I could gather from all the reviews (and listening in a store) they didn't lose any quality over BT which was fantastic. As someone who's out and about a lot (and has ruined the cables of more or less all my previous wired buds in a few months) I really appreciate them being wireless. The BT range is a lot better than I thought as well and I can walk about pretty freely in my apartment without losing connectivity. The battery life is about 40 hours on a single charge which is nothing short of fantastic. There's a cable included as well if that battery was to run dry. All that for a price which is a fair bit cheaper than the other brands.

Worth noting is that the XM3's have problems with their touch-controls not working or registering false inputs in temperatures below freezing. As someone who lives in Sweden and mostly wanted the cans for my commute, that se

Some cons, however:
* Not very stylish compared to the others. I would call them bland at best. Maybe "retro".
* No ANC (active noise cancelling). They have a reasonably snug fit which blocks out a lot of noise, but I wouldn't trust them to block out all the engine noise on a flight, for example.
* Pretty narrow soundstage. Perhaps not the best for gaming? I mostly play strategy games and rpg's nowadays so I don't mind it, but some might.
* Long charge time (roughly 7 hours for a full charge) and should only be charged through the usb port of a computer.
* Slightly strident high-end. I've gotten used to it, but hearing all those highs so clearly was jarring at first.
* Only micro-usb. No usb-c. I don't mind this, but some might.
* The mic is so-so, even after updating the firmware to a new version which adjusts the gain on it. Using it in a place with a lot of background noise won't be pleasant for the person on the other end.

In the end I'd advice you to go to a store and try them, and a whole lot of other headphones, out. Listen to your favorite music and try to find a pair which puts a smile on your face.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
If you're into audiophile fidelity I'm not sure why you'd even look at Sony's direct Bose airplane exec competitor (qc35iis actually sound great but broad) since they're always going to shoot for warm rich bass and vocals . Which as you note are extremely popular. With people.
And yet objective measurements disprove this time and time again.
The "buy other sound equipment" joke started because Bose headphones were considered to be overpriced; not because they were considered to be bad.
And even then, that's only because audiophiles were comparing these closed-back active noise cancelling headphones at ~$300 to their similarly-priced open-back high fidelity headphones like the Sennheiser HD650 in the lonely silence of their parents' basement.

rtings-xm3-x9j38.png
rtings-qc35-6ik3i.png

Having owned both, my preference is for Bose - though it's largely won over by them being smaller headphones, having much better Bluetooth connectivity, and better controls (physical buttons rather than gestures).
Sony's ANC is better in some respects and worse in others. Bose's ANC has never failed on me, but Sony's sounded noticeably distorted at times.
Neither are idea for gaming, as they don't support aptX Low Latency, but are fine if you use them wired.

OP says they want active noise cancelling headphones. 5+ people go on to recommend open back headphones.

lmaoooo
Welcome to the world of headphone audiophiles.
They'll probably recommend a desktop-based DAC and Amp next (probably Schiit gear even though it's objectively bad) even if they person is asking for Bluetooth headphones.

If you go wired just make sure you have the proper hardware to connect them to and proper source music. There's no point in buying high-end headphones if you're not able to get the most out of them.
The importance of DACs and Amps is severely over-stated in headphone communities.
A good amp matters for particularly difficult to drive headphones, but it shouldn't matter for the majority of headphones.
It's the last 2% of audio quality and yet many people think you should spend most of your budget on it.

Hazzaku

Oct 25, 2017
They'll probably recommend a desktop-based DAC and Amp next (probably Schiit gear even though it's objectively bad) even if they person is asking for Bluetooth headphones.

Nothing funnier than someone asking for a headset/headphone recommendation to use with consoles. Then being met with suggestions like buying a modmic + m50x + portable headphone amp combo to be paired with a dual shock 4.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The importance of DACs and Amps is severely over-stated in headphone communities.
A good amp matters for particularly difficult to drive headphones, but it shouldn't matter for the majority of headphones.
It's the last 2% of audio quality and yet many people think you should spend most of your budget on it.
Having "the proper hardware" doesn't necessarily mean buying a high-end DAC/Amp. It just means having something decent, because believe it or not there are such things such as crappy on-board soundcards. Also, something decent to replace your on-board card hasn't cost an arm and a leg for while now. You can get good USB DAC/Amps that you can even use with your smartphone for relatively cheap these days.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
I picked up a pair of V-modo m-100's (I think it's that kind it's there main headphone). It's wired and 250$ but I've had them for 3 years now and they still work really fantastically! Use them from everything like VR to just music and the work flawlessy. They sell a cord for 30 dollars that adds a mic so you can talk online and I would highly recommend this pair.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Sigh, thinking about going wireless but haven't gotten around to testing. Thinking about the AIAIAIs but I didn't love their original sound signature. The Sonys are everyone's gold standards but if they're only a mild improvement from something like Bose...

Decisions, decisions...

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
No wireless and noise canceling headphone is "high end". Get a wired ported pair if for in doors, get a closed pair if for commuting.

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
When I first jumped into headphones, I bought HD598s and absolutely loved them. I decided to donate that pair to my wife and I got some HD6XXs which I also absolutely love. However, it was not love at first try like it was with the 598s. The 6XXs were extremely tight on my head. Admittedly, I have a wide head and it was like a vice was squeezing my brain out of my ears. I had to stretch the shit out them to get them to be as comfortable as the 598s and now I can wear them for hours and hours and not even realize it. They're fantastic.

TobbRobb

Oct 21, 2019
I use a pair of Sennheiser PXC550 and love them to bits. They are active noise canceling headphones with bluetooth. Slightly lower priceclass than the ones you listed, but I think fairly comparable. It's by far the best price to performance ratio i've ever had in headphones. Good comfort (for me), solid bass, clean sound and they feel very nicely isolated with the noise canceling.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The "buy other sound equipment" joke started because Bose headphones were considered to be overpriced; not because they were considered to be bad.
And even then, that's only because audiophiles were comparing these closed-back active noise cancelling headphones at ~$300 to their similarly-priced open-back high fidelity headphones like the Sennheiser HD650 in the lonely silence of their parents' basement.

rtings-xm3-x9j38.png
rtings-qc35-6ik3i.png

Having owned both, my preference is for Bose - though it's largely won over by them being smaller headphones, having much better Bluetooth connectivity, and better controls (physical buttons rather than gestures).
Sony's ANC is better in some respects and worse in others. Bose's ANC has never failed on me, but Sony's sounded noticeably distorted at times.
Neither are idea for gaming, as they don't support aptX Low Latency, but are fine if you use them wired.

A good DAC/amp absolutely improves sound quality. Sound coming from my laptop/mobile phone sounds like complete ass compared to my Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/amp, there's not even a contest.

The headphone audio from thr Nintendo Switch is pretty nice tho. (Not as good as the AQ Dragonfly) This is of course with thr ATH-M50x, those high impedance headphones some people are recommending would sound like shit from the 3.5mm jack on a normal consumer device.

I'd say, if you are looking for something wired, get the ATH-M50x. If it's wireless... No clue.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Good thread OP.

I had Astro A40s and loooved them. My favorite sound profile ever honestly. And Dolby Headphone surround is really satisfying to me. I only stopped using them when I moved and couldn't set them up. Will use them again soon.

What do people recommend as a better alternative for home gaming and home theatre surround headphone use?

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've got the Sony WH-1000XM3. They are not my first set of headphones to cost over $300 (when I got them, anyway), but they are my favorite. You won't be disappointed.

Oct 27, 2017
If you're looking for over the ear wireless headphones that have ANC... the Sony's are really the only option in that price range.

I have others for different situations. A pair of Senn HD650's I bought years ago that are still going strong, and a pair of Senn HD598's as backup. I would never take them out with me tho.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Having "the proper hardware" doesn't necessarily mean buying a high-end DAC/Amp. It just means having something decent, because believe it or not there are such things such as crappy on-board soundcards. Also, something decent to replace your on-board card hasn't cost an arm and a leg for while now. You can get good USB DAC/Amps that you can even use with your smartphone for relatively cheap these days.
A good DAC/amp absolutely improves sound quality. Sound coming from my laptop/mobile phone sounds like complete ass compared to my Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/amp, there's not even a contest.
I never said they did nothing, I said that their importance was severely over-stated - with some people spending more money on DACs/Amps than the headphones themselves, or spending a lot of money on a DAC/Amp for some very basic headphones.
There is absolutely a level where buying a new DAC or Amp will make a difference, but the threshold between making a difference and entering placebo territory is pretty low.

[…] those high impedance headphones some people are recommending would sound like shit from the 3.5mm jack on a normal consumer device.
A lot of people get this wrong. High impedance headphones are easy to drive, since they just need enough voltage to play at a good volume level. That's why studio reference headphones were originally designed to be 600 ohms. The main concern with them is just whether a device can drive them loud enough or not (if not, get an amp).
Low impedance headphones are difficult to drive because they are very sensitive to noise, require a device with a low impedance output for sufficient damping, and require a current-based amplifier rather than a voltage-based one. But low-impedance designs are increasingly common now, because they will play loud from nearly any device, even if they may not sound their best.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I never said they did nothing, I said that their importance was severely over-stated - with some people spending more money on DACs/Amps than the headphones themselves, or spending a lot of money on a DAC/Amp for some very basic headphones.
There is absolutely a level where buying a new DAC or Amp will make a difference, but the threshold between making a difference and entering placebo territory is pretty low.

A lot of people get this wrong. High impedance headphones are easy to drive, since they just need enough voltage to play at a good volume level. That's why studio reference headphones were originally designed to be 600 ohms. The main concern with them is just whether a device can drive them loud enough or not (if not, get an amp).
Low impedance headphones are difficult to drive because they are very sensitive to noise, require a device with a low impedance output for sufficient damping, and require a current-based amplifier rather than a voltage-based one. But low-impedance designs are increasingly common now, because they will play loud from nearly any device, even if they may not sound their best.
Well, they will sound like shit because no phone/laptop/headphone jack in a controller will be able to drive them at a satisfactory loudness. Which is why I grince at recommendations of super high impedance headphones.

And, I agree partially with you. People spend lots and lots of money way past the point of diminishing returns, we can both agree on that, but something like an Audioquest Dragonfly or a FiiO DAC (Not more than 100 bucks, anything more is excessive and a waste of money) makes a huge difference over a typical headphone jack on a laptop.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

rtings-xm3-x9j38.png
rtings-qc35-6ik3i.png

can't argue with science but I did a two day A/b test with Sony's and the Bose qc35iis and ended up with the Bose for the reasons you state (the app and bt switching are seamless) as well as charge speed and battery life- but on audio quality there literally wasn't enough discernible difference between the two for music (I could tell there WAS a difference but they were like two Cabernet Sauvignons if that makes sense- and I didn't have the palate to pick a winner- and I felt less pressure from the Bose noise canceling while in loud environments.

as a matter of fact I got a second pair for the office when we got a headphone perk to reduce desk/office noise. Now I have black and silver like a douche.

I normally go through coiled Sony md studio monitors till the foam starts to split and crack but the Bose have been more or less perfect for travel and work.

I also like the Bose soundsport iis for workout (and bed) but mostly for the ear fit ergonomics and silicone wings. I tried to get my Sony wireless buds to work with knockoff add on wings but they have to be removed to charge and it's a pain in the ass.