• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
So I've been playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey and I really enjoy it so far.

It's the best playing game in the series. The combat is skill based and weighty and takes cues from the Souls series, which you all know is my jam. The world is massive (maybe too big), and it's a beautiful game graphically. The story is interesting and I like the addition of dialogue choices. They've really tried to go all in the with the RPG elements, and I dig it.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut...

The leveling system seems to have borked the game a bit, and I think the motives behind it are a bit questionable.

Enemies only a level or two above you become damage sponges that take a ton of hits to kill and the game doesn't reward you with enough gear to constantly stay up to par. You can upgrade your gear at a blacksmith but that costs of a lot of gold, resources, and materials which need to be located and collected in the open world. The costs are high enough to be pretty prohibitive.

Of course, there's an easy workaround. You can just buy gold and crafting materials from the in-game store for real money.

Each area in the game has a specific recommended level range, and each quest has a level recommendation. The quest will be much more difficult if your character doesn't meet the recommended level. For example, the area I'm in has is recommended for level 7-10 characters. My current quest to continue the story recommended to be done at character level 10. In order to reach that level, I had to do every single side-quest in the region, including locating each location and completing each location objective. I had a few quests from a quest board that may have helped but they were timed and I didn't finish them the day I got them, so they became unavailable. It's been a pretty tedious process. I like sidequests, but I don't enjoy being forced into them when I want to focus on the story.

But you can speed that up by purchasing an XP booster for real money so that your character permanently levels up faster.

The game is probably the best the series has ever been, but it seems as though its design is weighed down by flaws purposefully implemented by the developers in order to push you to spend more money on it. It's a 60 dollar game that is designed to push you toward further spending microtransactions. I played Origins, and I don't remember the leveling system being this restrictive in it.

I know there was a bit of a kerfuffle over this when the game released, and a lot of people said that they didn't feel it was grindy at all. But, man, I am feeling it now at the beginning. I bumped the difficulty down from Hard to Normal, but it didn't particularly help. I'm hoping the game gets better about this as it goes on because I really like how it plays.

What are your thoughts, ERA?

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The leveling in Odyseey is why I stopped playing. I felt like the world was revolving around my progression and it breaks my immersion. Either bring back the 20-hour campaigns or fix the leveling system in these new age of AC games (Origins & Odyssey) because I won't be touching the next one otherwise.

Last edited:

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
But it's there in order to make up for the high development costs of the game and stuff!!

Seriously, any game can make the excuse of having high development costs to get away with the justification of having microtransactions. It's wrong. Even if I don't feel inclined to access the option to speed up my progress, it's there.

But I guess it's really nice of them to remind us that it is completely optional.

Lies

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey and I really enjoy it so far.

It's the best playing game in the series. The combat is skill based and weighty and takes cues from the Souls series, which you all know is my jam. The world is massive (maybe too big), and it's a beautiful game graphically. The story is interesting and I like the addition of dialogue choices. They've really tried to go all in the with the RPG elements, and I dig it.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut...

The leveling system seems to have borked the game a bit, and I think the motives behind it are a bit questionable.

Enemies only a level or two above you become damage sponges that take a ton of hits to kill and the game doesn't reward you with enough gear to constantly stay up to par. You can upgrade your gear at a blacksmith but that costs of a lot of gold, resources, and materials which need to be located and collected in the open world. The costs are high enough to be pretty prohibitive.

Of course, there's an easy workaround. You can just buy gold and crafting materials from the in-game store for real money.

Each area in the game has a specific recommended level range, and each quest has a level recommendation. The quest will be much more difficult if your character doesn't meet the recommended level. For example, the area I'm in has is recommended for level 7-10 characters. My current quest to continue the story recommended to be done at character level 10. In order to reach that level, I had to do every single side-quest in the region, including locating each location and completing each location objective. I had a few quests from a quest board that may have helped but they were timed and I didn't finish them the day I got them, so they became unavailable. It's been a pretty tedious process. I like sidequests, but I don't enjoy being forced into them when I want to focus on the story.

But you can speed that up by purchasing an XP booster for real money so that your character permanently levels up faster.

The game is probably the best the series has ever been, but it seems as though its design is weighed down by flaws purposefully implemented by the developers in order to push you to spend more money on it. It's a 60 dollar game that is designed to push you toward further spending microtransactions. I played Origins, and I don't remember the leveling system being this restrictive in it.

I know there was a bit of a kerfuffle over this when the game released, and a lot of people said that they didn't feel it was grindy at all. But, man, I am feeling it now at the beginning. I bumped the difficulty down from Hard to Normal, but it didn't particularly help. I'm hoping the game gets better about this as it goes on because I really like how it plays.

What are your thoughts, ERA?

Finished the game yesterday.
Only grind complaint I have it's its too long. More content than I wanted.

Your complaints tho? Not seeing it. Never had a problem with levelling grind. At all.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the game in itself, but I think the biggest problem I had with it is that there's TOO much armor and weapons, and one level makes a huge difference. So having to constantly be managing equipment is a bit of a chore. If upgrading equipment was cheaper then so be it, but upgrading equipment costs a lot. So everytime you got a new piece of equipment it was constantly stopping to micromanage to see if it was worth it compared to your current one. And I ALWAYS got new equipment.

If I had played the game at a time further away from the next big open world title (red dead 2) I likely would have enjoyed it more. But they came too close together, and now Odyssey feels like a bloated Witcher 3.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
respec your character
forget hunter and focus on the warrior / assassin and learn to dodge
you can easily beat characters 3-5 levels above you
and do the golden side quests and soon you will be overlevelled

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
It was kind of like that in Origins too. It rubbed me the wrong way when the next main quest was about a level or 2 above my current XP and I had to grind some side quests. I still enjoyed the game though because the side quests weren't bad.

I've just played a bit of AC Odyssey...like the first hour or two and I like it so far, but if it take longer to level up than Origins then that's not good.

OP
OP
Spehornoob

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
respec your character

I'm specced entirely into Warrior right now. I can beat enemies that are a couple levels above me but it takes forever. I haven't found any "golden quests" yet so those may help!

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Finished the game last week and had no grind to do (very easy to get to 50, thats where I left it) and I didn't know where to spend the 100k gold I had. You simply have to do the golden side-quests (and *if*, because I didn't do the Olympia ones and still leveled up).

Still don't get where the complaints come from, to be honest.. In Origins it was even easier to be overleveled. Got the Assassination abilities, + Devastating Shot? The one that hurts the most with the arrow, and the removal of shields ability. From there it was extremely easy to kill like 7 guys in 2-3 minutes.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I never thought of the levelling system as an excuse to get me to buy stuff as the store is hidden enough that I never felt prompted to. The reason I stopped playing is that the levelling system is an archaic, shit way of encouraging people to spend more hours playing a game where enjoyment feels walled off behind the time you spend playing it.

When you view the map and see all the places you can go but the game is telling you're not really allowed to do it, the world feels a lot less "open."

Oct 27, 2017
respec your character

If you want to play a super grindy version of Dark Souls, maybe. Not everyone wants to hit 50x punch sponges which kill you in two hits.

If you want to play as an assassin - no way.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
I agree.

I am currently playing it and it is the first AC game that i find the writing to be good (actualy not good, tolerable and not self absorved and with playfull tone that is good) setting is good, graphics are good mut everything about gameplay is meaningless.

It's Oblivion all over again and i mean that you play and enjoy it but when you stop, you realize that you only lost your time because the game with the gate keeping in the main story and the hidden auto leveling of the enemies at the rest of the game is broken and well, meaninghless.

Basically it is grinding at it's worse, you can have your starting weapon for the whole game due to the upgrade system.
Even the combat is meaningless, enemies at your level are extremely easy to deal with but 1 level and abo you are almost unkillable.
Side quests is basically "bring me fur or kill that person", main story is promising but i feel that i saw everything the game has to offer already.

As a Greek it is a game i want to like and finish but after just 15 hours i will propably drop it.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
You can upgrade your gear at a blacksmith but that costs of a lot of gold, resources, and materials which need to be located and collected in the open world. The costs are high enough to be pretty prohibitive.

Are you playing an unpatched version of the game or just making a walk down to memory lane and then posted this? Because they patched the prices and materials needed to upgrade armors, weapons and the ship a while ago and they also boosted the rewards for engaging in the mercenary system so you have now 50% Discount perks for Buying, Selling and Crafting (this includes the Ship).

That patch also INCREASED the Level cap from 50 to 70 but it turns out that most people were reaching the cap way earlier and way fast. I did and I never used any booster.

And for the combat... I managed to kill enemies at least 5 or 6 levels above me thanks to some good armor perks, poison and dodging so I can't relate @ people complaining that enemies 1 level above you can OHKO.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I didn't find it Grindy at all if you did all the side quests. In fact I found myself over leveled for some of the main quest stuff.

But there are a shitload of sidequests so some might consider those a bit grindy too.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
The cost to upgrade equipments is not high at all. Dismantle your equipment, you'll have enough.

And you don't need to do everything to be leveled enough, a few gold exclamation quests and you're good.

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished all the 3 main branches yesterday and I never thought it was grindy. Grinding to me is if I have to repeat the same missions over and over. In order to level you just have to get used to doing some side quests and hunting down cultists/mercenaries every now and then, but the side quests are really good and hardly grindy

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Probably 95% of the time, I was always two levels above everything in this game. I always felt overlevelled. The times where I did encounter enemies higher than me, I was able to fend off enemies 2-3 levels higher than me as though they were two levels lower. Like, it didn't feel any different. I fought a dude who way outlevelled me once (a mercenary or cultist maybe?), and he smoked me. I think he was like 10 levels higher though.

Also, I of course believe that there are mtx in this game, but where the hell are they? In my entire playthrough, I never received a prompt to buy them or instructions on how to get to a menu to even view them. Is it a separate store or something? I never buy this type of shit in games, but I wouldn't have even knew how if I wanted to in Odyssey.

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

False, you can kill all npc easily if you know the combat mechanics

Unnecessary

You need to learn how to play ACO as a rpg.

The game is probably the best the series has ever been, but it seems as though its design is weighed down by flaws purposefully implemented by the developers in order to push you to spend more money on it. It's a 60 dollar game that is designed to push you toward further spending microtransactions.

False, is optional not a MUST

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
I think that having the option to buy xp booster was a mistake but I had so much fun doing quest that it never bothered me.
It's been said many times before but it's not the first massive rpg to level gate it's area and there are soooo many quests that are interesting to do that I rarelyfelt like I was being cheated.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Wait so what you're saying is now I can't simply ignore the dumb side shit and just blast through whatever the main story is? The fuck is this garbage?

tomd96

Jul 6, 2018
I was so hooked on the exploration and side quests that I hit level 50 a while before finishing the story. Wrapped up everything in the base game after about 93 hours and it's my game of the year. Certainly never felt any need to pay for XP boosts.

Oct 30, 2017
Two things

1. Forget the Hunter and Assassin skill trees for now, put everything into the Warrior path
  2. Make sure you wear the armor pieces that boost your warrior damage the most

This new system is my biggest gripe with the game compared to Origins. You can't really play an allrounder anymore, unless you like being borked.

Last edited:

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
I'm specced entirely into Warrior right now. I can beat enemies that are a couple levels above me but it takes forever. I haven't found any "golden quests" yet so those may help!
golden just means the icon is gold
most are really interesting
if you're liking the story you'll miss out on a lot if u drop it, it gets better and better
just do some side quests and stealth kill mercenaries for

also get some skills in assassination damage perk
there's one that's called critical assassination that gives a 300% boost
there's also second wind that gives health
then I use poison and fire and fury
enemies die pretty quickly

If you want to play a super grindy version of Dark Souls, maybe. Not everyone wants to hit 50x punch sponges which kill you in two hits.

If you want to play as an assassin - no way.

yeah you'll get pretty good burst damage a little bit into the game
mid-game enemies won't last more than a few seconds and you'll be able to defeat like 4-5 mercenaries in one battle

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have that issue with the levelling system. Now...

I enjoyed the game in itself, but I think the biggest problem I had with it is that there's TOO much armor and weapons, and one level makes a huge difference. So having to constantly be managing equipment is a bit of a chore. If upgrading equipment was cheaper then so be it, but upgrading equipment costs a lot. So everytime you got a new piece of equipment it was constantly stopping to micromanage to see if it was worth it compared to your current one. And I ALWAYS got new equipment.
This is my real beef with this game. It is a pain to be micromanaging all the armor I get after doing some quests or killing mercenaries or cultists. Worst of all, most of that armor or weapons are useless as soon as I get them from enemies or chests.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
It's pretty obvious that they deliberately gimped the progression system so that it would fit their revenue model.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game yesterday.
Only grind complaint I have it's its too long. More content than I wanted.

Your complaints tho? Not seeing it. Never had a problem with levelling grind. At all.

Me neither.

More people parroting the 'Ubisoft is evil and are implementing design decisions to manipulate people into PAYING for BOOSTS." narrative can only be a good thing though right??

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
My experience with Odyssey was that a.) it's a game that should just be played on easy, and b.) there is a genuine hump in its difficulty curve in the level 10-20ish region. About the time you crack level 20, you're able to be a pretty unstoppable death machine, regardless of how optimized or not your build is. But before that there's definitely some flailing as you get all the necessary buffs, moves, and high-level gear.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this annoyed me in Origins too. A massive open world that I'm free to explore, but the reality is exploring that region is going to be a pain in the ass because everyone is a much higher level than you. Then I'd get to a point where I just want to focus on the story and couldn't because I was underlevelled. What if I don't want to do side content? It's called side content for a reason.

Oct 27, 2017
yeah you'll get pretty good burst damage a little bit into the game
mid-game enemies won't last more than a few seconds and you'll be able to defeat like 4-5 mercenaries in one battle

At the moment, around 8-10 hours in, my main damage source is the skill which assassinates mid-fight: the one where you swipe their legs and stab for the massive damage. Or trying to kick the enemies off the boats...

The game has lost all the finesse like Dark Souls, where you carefully dodge and slash a few times. It is all about charging and spamming skills: ignores everything including targeting, enemy attacks, positions, patterns or blocks.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I can't say I agree at all. I stuck to doing most of the real side quests I ran into, occasionally clearing an outpost when I actually wanted to do it and never felt like I was too weak for a story mission or that the game was pushing me towards buying microtransactions if I happened to come across something that I wasn't really prepared for.

If I had played the game at a time further away from the next big open world title (red dead 2) I likely would have enjoyed it more. But they came too close together, and now Odyssey feels like a bloated Witcher 3.

This is the real reason I dropped the difficulty level to easy a couple of dozen hours into it and ultimately just stopped playing it, though. Way too fucking much micromanagement for an action RPG.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The game is overlong, with too many islands and way too large of a map, but I literally never had a problem with "grinding." Unless you mean "playing an assassin's creed game" when you say grinding. I never did any of the message board quests, and never repeated content (which is what grinding is). There is more than enough unique, fully voiced side content to ensure that your level is high enough for the story without having to do any of the forgettable, repeatable side content. The only microtransactions I've been tempted by have been cosmetic. Implying that the game somehow egeregiously forces the player towards the store for pay to win boosts seems like heavy exaggeration.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
If the main story is 25 hours but someone finish the game in 95 hours, i say that grinding is involved and not just exploration and awe.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
At the moment, around 8-10 hours in, my main damage source is the skill which assassinates mid-fight: the one where you swipe their legs and stab for the massive damage. Or trying to kick the enemies off the boats...

The game has lost all the finesse like Dark Souls, where you carefully dodge and slash a few times. It is all about charging and spamming skills: ignores everything including targeting, enemy attacks, positions, patterns or blocks.
I did damage using the battle cry and fire/poison worked really for me till endgame

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Origins felt worse in this regard. At least for me.

Some of Odyssey's "side"quests seemed like they were cut from the main quest line.

I'm waiting for the inevitable patch down the road like Shadow of War did that fixed the progression once people stopped buying micro transactions in order to get people to buy who refused to because of the progression that made micro transactions mandatory.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I found that it wasn't difficult at all to dispose of enemies in a timely manner, even the ones a level or two above me, once I got the requisite skills I wanted. The Overpower attacks for both melee & archery, Devastating Shot, Predator Shot, Critical Assassination, and the Rush Assassination made stealthing and the combat about as easy as Origins which didn't have any level scaling at first.

For gear management, like Origins, I really never bought anything from a blacksmith in this game; you'll find new gear rapidly in the open world -- I just put on whatever had the best stats (this is where the Visual Customization really came in handy since it essentially allows you to wear what you want at no penalty) and only periodically upgraded and engraved epic & rare gear which was more cost effective. Every once and a while, I would upgrade a legendary weapon. I also chose to dismantle a lot of my loot instead of selling it and usually had ample crafting materials. The only aspect about Odyssey that gave me grinding symptoms was maxing out the Adrestia, which wasn't a problem in Origins since it had no sailing.

Last edited:

cyress8

Avenger
I'm level 13 in the game right now and maxing out all my assassin damage. One shot bounty hunters with the critical assassination skill. Hope it stays that way.

The only thing that give me issue are the missions that don't allow you to sneak up on someone and the war areas.
I just pop on a my warrior gear and already have the skill that boosts my warrior damage.

I also sell all items unless I need resources and then I deconstruct.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm teetering on the edge of buying Odyssey during the Steam sale.

If I loved Origins will I be fine with this?

I see people saying Origins was bad as well, but I guess I didn't feel it because I was so absorbed into the world. Side quests were never a chore, and I loved doing the daily shit to earn better weapons/armor. I had a ton of shit and dismantled things on a regular basis. I didn't mind hunting and would do a little on my way to a mission if I saw something I wanted.

Seems like there's so much to love about Odyssey.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I see people saying Origins was bad as well, but I guess I didn't feel it because I was so absorbed into the world. Side quests were never a chore, and I loved doing the daily shit to earn better weapons/armor. I had a ton of shit and dismantled things on a regular basis. I didn't mind hunting and would do a little on my way to a mission if I saw something I wanted.

its a fairly safe bet that if you enjoyed Origins that you will very likely love Odyssey.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
9a9d0350606e6ac5ed5efa9f5c350caa.png

Loved every minute of it, can't wait for the 2nd part of the first DLC in fact.

OP
OP
Spehornoob

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017

I wish I could help you decide one way or the other. Seems some people don't find it grindy at all, while others, like me, do.

From what you said, it sounds like you won't mind a lot of it. I think it'll depend on your feelings about being forced into side quests, because it seems to me that you have to do a lot of them in this game. For what it's worth, I rather enjoyed Origins, while I'm having trouble with this one.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm finding as long as I do enough side quests and grab enough loot things are manageable.

It is annoying that enemies just marginally above you cannot be dented and can kill you in nearly one hit though.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was maxed out at the 115 hour mark and averaged a level every 2 hours but I prefer to travel on foot when possible and in that time, I never ever felt that the game was grindy at all and even if it is, it's an action RPG. RPG's have ALWAYS been grindy. Very few aren't.

If anything, it seems like those who believe the game is grindy is only because there's a permanent XP boost micro-transaction. If the game was exactly the same which it would be but the MTX didn't exist, would this even be a discussion? Probably not. The main reason the game feels grindy at times is because the game scales with you. You can never be truly dominant or overpowered by ten levels. It just doesn't happen. The conquest battles offer GOLD XP which is very high amounts and there's the randomly generated notice board quests that also offer GOLD XP as a reward.

My personal issue with people saying that AC Odyssey is grindy is that's kind of what EVERY RPG has ever been. The Witcher 3 which is my best game this generation is grindy and you can't advance the story. After finishing the prologue, you have a level 25 main quest as a requirement and yet, you're still under level 10 at that time.

The funny thing is that I did buy my first ever and only MTX in Odyssey but that was Treasure Map pack as I literally hate wasting my time looking for stuff when it should be on the map and my time is more valuable than money so that was an easy decision.

But XP boost? Nah. No fucking way. If anything, I believe that I was getting TOO MUCH XP. I spent the last third of the game maxed out at level 50. Of course, I did pretty much every quest line and side quest, outpost, etc. The only I didn't do were those notice board quests because im not into randomly generated or procedurally generated content in games.

Odyssey only feels grindy at times because of the auto scaling. If this was setup the same as Origins and the MTX still existed (which it would), the result would be completely different because the game world wouldn't be leveling up with you but because Odyssey does, it gives the impression of feeling grindy or trying to get you to buy an MTX but when you really look at the game and what it is (an action RPG), it's no different than any other RPG, well, ever.

Dec 28, 2017
Ubisoft it's becoming one of the worst companies in the business and people should be pointing fingers now that later. For division 2 you need to pay extra to get more space in the vault. Just think about it for one moment. We pay to get more space in the vault. Ubisoft deserves to be wiped out now and don't let this cancer spread.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's no incentive to level up but seeing the number get bigger. Since the world levels up with you you don't become any stronger nor does additional content open up. It could be a lot worse by actually providing gameplay benefits. It feels totally unnecessary which is why I wasn't botheree by it, if it wasn't for the "controversy" I never would have known that it existed at all