• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which games in addition to Super Mario Party. Pick 2.

• Breath of the Wild

Votes: 846 86.2%
  • Lets Go Pikachu

Votes: 41 4.2%
  • Mario Odyssey

Votes: 553 56.3%
  • Smash Ultimate

Votes: 367 37.4%
  • New Super Mario Bros U

Votes: 35 3.6%

• Total voters

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'll be picking up a Switch in the next two weeks and I have a few questions.

1. Is the joycon stick drifting issue, the dock warping issue, and the Switch screen warping issue fixed in the latest production models?

2. Do comfort grips loosen the joycons over time or are they safe to use over long periods?

3. Is a 128GB card enough if I am going to buy the majority of my games on a cart?

4. Does anyone have any experience with this dock scratch guard? I am interested in it because of the cart pouches.

5. How good is this vault case? I have the Vita and 3DS ones and I like them, is the Switch one just as good?

6. Is this the best glass screen protector to get?

7. Should I buy a dedicated car charger or will any 24W/4.8amp USB car charger adapter do?

8. You only need one joycon per player for Super Mario Party, yes?

9. Is the Switch Pro Controller overall a good controller? I am hesitant based on what I've heard of the d-pad and I am not fond of asymmetrical sticks. I was considering the 8Bitdo SN30 Pro as well.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild and Smash by far. Mario Odyssey isn't bad but it's got way too much filler.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Get the pro controller. I like the switch, but it's default controller in any configuration sucks. Pro controller is most like the X-box controller.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
128G is quite enough.

I also have a question, how could someone buy a Switch and not get BotW?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  1. Drifting sticks can be rectified by keeping the inside of the analog stick clean with either compressed air or a Q-Tip + rubbing alcohol. I can't speak for the other issues being rectified, though.
  2. I'm not sure, I don't use comfort grips.
  3. As someone who almost exclusively buys games physically, you could probably get by with no microSD card as long as you don't get too many games that require an additional download. 128GB should be more than enough for you.
  4. You can achieve a similar result by adding electrical tape to the bumps inside the dock that guide the Switch inside.
  5. I personally use the RDS case, but that should suffice.
  6. Yeah, that's actually the one I use. They'll even send you a replacement pair if you fuck up both attempts.
  7. I'd get a dedicated charger just to be safe.
  8. I believe so, yeah.
  9. The Pro Controller is still your best option, so I'd go for that.
As for your games, I'd say that BotW, Smash, & Odyssey are top priority.

Nov 27, 2017
I like the pro controller, but I also haven't used it for d-pad heavy stuff much at all so not sure how it stacks up on that front.

I'd say go for Smash and either BOTW or Odyssey, they're both great.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
BotW and Odyssey are glorious but if your main game is Mario Party than your second game should be either MK8 or smash

1- they are all were very rare and got fixed

3- Bethesda games are the only huge ones so yeah you are good.

9- do you have any other system with a good dpad in the controller? Maybe an adapter is what you need

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
If you go for physical carts for most games 128GB should be more than enough, also, the pro controller feels a lot better sittig in my hands than the Dualhock 4 by comparison. It's downsides are, like you said, the d-pad, and the left and right triggers don't feel that great.

Either way, it's a huge upgrade from playing with the joycons, especially since those have these really clicky buttons that'll annoy the fuck out of you if you play any game that makes you mash buttons.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild is the killer app of the system. It still is the epitome of what the Switch is about. It's amazing in both handheld and docked. Carrying that big open world with you wherever you go will make you feel tethered to the TV on other consoles for a bit.

Smash and Odyssey round out number two. The former is a fucking fantastic content-packed multiplayer game, and the latter another great, colorful single player adventure that feels amazing to play.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i don't think you can go wrong with any of them but Zelda + Odyssey are must buys.

Oct 27, 2017
So I'll be picking up a Switch in the next two weeks and I have a few questions.

1. Is the joycon stick drifting issue, the dock warping issue, and the Switch screen warping issue fixed in the latest production models?

2. Do comfort grips loosen the joycons over time or are they safe to use over long periods?

3. Is a 128GB card enough if I am going to buy the majority of my games on a cart?

4. Does anyone have any experience with this dock scratch guard? I am interested in it because of the cart pouches.

5. How good is this vault case? I have the Vita and 3DS ones and I like them, is the Switch one just as good?

7. Should I buy a dedicated car charger or will any 24W/4.8amp USB car charger adapter do?

9. Is the Switch Pro Controller overall a good controller? I am hesitant based on what I've heard of the d-pad and I am not fond of asymmetrical sticks. I was considering the 8Bitdo SN30 Pro as well.
I love the pro controller, it feels so good and is molded very well. Very sturdy and with a crazy long battery life.

Kernal 64

#TeamThierry
Oct 28, 2017
NY

I can't answer all of your points, but I'll answer what I can.

1. I and 2 of my friends all have launch Switches. None of us have experienced any of the issues you raise here. I've met other people with Switches and none of them have complained about any of these things. I'm fairly certain these issues aren't anything more than forum hysteria based on a very small number of units that fall well within the standard defect rate of literally any product. I'm sure I'll be tarred and feathered for this viewpoint, but whatever. I've never seen any of these issues and haven't ever met anyone IRL who has.

3. I have a 200 GB card with about 18 GB left, plus the internal 32 GB it comes with is empty of everything but save files and screenshots. I've bought probably 50% of my library on cart. 128 GB will probably last you for a good amount of time, but no matter what the situation, I always say you can never have too much storage. If you have the budget for a larger card, it won't hurt to go that route.

7. My experience has been that any car charger that meets the requirements of the Switch and/or the USB power delivery protocol should be fine.

9. I like asymmetrical sticks, so the Pro Controller works well for me. I think unless you play a lot of 2D fighting games that make heavy use of the D-Pad, you won't really have much issue there. I can't say I've felt hampered by it and I prefer the Pro Controller D-pad to the Joycon 4 button shenanigans. D-pad debate aside, I think it's a fine controller. It's comfortable and is basically like using an Xbox controller, if you're familiar with those.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

1. No idea. I have a launch model and haven't had any of these issues.

2. No experience with this

3. Yes. I have a 64 GB sd card and I get by.

4. I just use the amFilm tempered glass screen protector for Switch. Its tough enough to withstand any scratches from the dock. I've had it on for two years now and there's no scratches.

5. No experience with it.

6. Yes!

7. Not sure about this one.

8. Yep, just one Joycon is all that is required.

9. YMMV with this. My first launch Pro controller had some pretty bad D pad issues that I fixed mostly by modding it. My Smash Bros Pro controller and my 2nd normal pro controller I got a few weeks ago seem to be a bit better. Besides the potential D pad issue, its the most comfortable controller I've ever owned, just edging out the Wii U pro controller. It also lasts for quite a while before needing to be charged.

As for games, I'd recommend Breath of the Wild and Smash Brothers. Breath of the Wild is a far better game than Odyssey. I recommend Smash Bros over Odyssey as well, simply to give you a multiplayer option. But I too believe that is a much better game. I think those will both give you a lot more replay value than Odyssey.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do yourself a favor and get Breath of the Wild. I chose to play it in 2018 so a bit late, but wow what an impressive title! You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland

I think so.

Yes, you can use them for a long period.

Yes!

When I bought my Switch, I was like you. I bought every accessory that was recommended (SD Card, Pro Controller, play stand, vault case, ...). After more than one year, I only used the vault case; other accessories were just a waste of money for me.

So I strongly recommend you to buy the Switch first, to play it and see AFTER which accessories you need. You don't need the same accessories if you only play on TV at home than if you only use it as an handheld.

For games, I would recommend you Mario Tennis Aces, Snipperclips Plus and Towerfall Ascension (eShop). Towerfall is available on other systems, but it's better on Switch, because you can play until 6 players. If you haven't played it on another system, Overcooked (1 & 2) is also a must buy.

For single player games... I don't know. I don't think there is any essential game. Many games are good, but not for the same public. Do you want a 2D plateformer? An open world game? A strategy game?

Personally, the game that I enjoyed the most was Skyrim. I also liked Mario + Rabbids Kingdom, have bought (but not played yet) Valkyria Chronicles 4 and will buy Civilization VI and Dragon's Dogma (and, obviously, Fire Emblem Three Houses).

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Mario + Zelda is the wombo combo of games you need to at least try as a Switch owner.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
BoTW and Odyssey are absolute essentials. Smash is great if you're into that but imo get the other two first.

Dr.Osiris

Oct 14, 2018
I see you don't have smash yet... In that case get mario odyssey and mario u. I don't think you will like zelda.

Get mario maker 2 when it comes out!

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
1. I've had my switch since mid july 2017--only issue I've ever had is about two weeks ago my right joy-con (also from then) has started drifting :(
3. Absolutely enough. I have a 128gb and a mix of physical/digital for about 15 or so games and still have 90gb left. I do have a lot of smaller titles but still carts will save space.
6. Those glass protectors are the best, I've had mine for about a year and love it.
7. I'm sure a dedicated car charger would be safer but I've never had a problem with car chargers I've tried.
8. Yes!
9. My SO has one and loves it, it's a very nice feeling controller imo esp if you have larger hands.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018

All I can say is I bought my neon switch during Black Friday and my red joy con have connectivity issues. So be prepared to send it back..

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. By the way, does the Switch use HDCP or can it be used with capture cards without issue?

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Don`t buy another controller. Look for 8 bitdo usb stick for switch.
Use your ps4, wii u pro, xbox 360 and even wii controllers on switch.

Just spend money on controllers if you wanna buy another joy con.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
This is hard.
I voted breath of the wild and smash
But I might put Odyssey over smash if you don't have friends that'd wanna play with you or you don't like playing online. Though smash technically has the most replay value of all

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. By the way, does the Switch use HDCP or can it be used with capture cards without issue?

I have an Avermedia LGP2 worked fine without issue.

Also some Switch games have support with built-in recording which you hold the capture button till video starts to record, but it's not nearly as efficient as using a capture device due to being unrestricted with video length and framerate.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
So which is the superior adapter, 8bitdo or Mayflash?

I can't say anything in regards to the 8bitdo adaptor, but I can say the Mayflash Adaptor is solid.

I use the Magic-NS as an alternative to the Pro Controller for Fighting Games. My PS3 Qanba Q4 Arcade stick works on the Switch ACA Neo-Geo releases for example. It also has Bluetooth support for wireless controllers. It's compatible with a PS4 Dualshock 4, PS3 Dualshock 3, Wii U Pro, Switch Pro, Joy-Con and XB1 S. and other controllers I've didn't even list.

There is a full compatibility list on the Mayflash website.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway

There are some issues with switching between hdcp and no hdcp after using some video apps afaik but I've never had issues recording off it.
Mind you that it outputs actual 60 fps instead of 59.94 that PS3/PS4 uses so you should probably have a "switch profile" in OBS.

You should also get a pro controller, however the d-pad sucks so I actually stopped playing hollow knight on the switch and bought it for my PS4 instead as I kept dying due to glitchy input. This is the case for quite a few games unfortunately. The analogue sticks are fine.

And I just use a standard car charger connected to the sigarette ligher plug, it works fine.

You're also missing Xenoblade Chronicles 2, the best switch game, in your poll :)

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mainly want a good dpad for playing pixelart indies (I was going to get The Messenger, Axiom Verge, and Shovel Knight right away) and NES games.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm so confused how Breath of the Wild has 85% Mario has 50% and Smash has 40%.

Oh multiple votes lol...

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mainly want a good dpad for playing pixelart indies (I was going to get The Messenger, Axiom Verge, and Shovel Knight right away) and NES games.

I'm not sure if a perfect dpad exists on the Switch still, unfortunately. We need an update of one of those "searching for a good dpad on the Switch" threads. I haven't researched the issue in a while.

The last I knew was that the pro controller dpads still register up and down inputs if you wiggle the left and right directions. Even the newest revisions of the pro controller. I think all of those 8bitdo controllers have the same issue, too.

Ninja Edit: I think the best solution for a perfect dpad on the Switch is to get an adapter for a PS4 controller or another controller.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah amFilm is the best. Just get it , your mental health will be better just knowing your Switch is protected from scratches. 128GB is good enough, but if you got the money, go for a 256 one. And drifting issue with joycons, well, when you buy it need, you got one year warranty with Nintendo. Not sure its still a problem with new consoles. It seem a minority are experiencing it, i did, and it can be fixed by yourself if it happen your warranty is over.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you are only into pixelart those are good choices, but if you haven't played Hollow Knight so far, I can't recommend a game more than I can recommend this game.