• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which games in addition to Super Mario Party. Pick 2.

• Breath of the Wild

Votes: 846 86.2%
  • Lets Go Pikachu

Votes: 41 4.2%
  • Mario Odyssey

Votes: 553 56.3%
  • Smash Ultimate

Votes: 367 37.4%
  • New Super Mario Bros U

Votes: 35 3.6%

• Total voters

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
1. Is the joycon stick drifting issue, the dock warping issue, and the Switch screen warping issue fixed in the latest production models?

I'm not sure. I bought my Switch in June of 2017, and I haven't encountered the dock or screen warping issues. I did, however, have to send one of my original joycons off for repairs becausde of the stick drifting issue. I also have the Japanese green/pink Splatoon joycons and haven't had any issues with those, but that might just be because my usage is split accross two pairs of joyconsa, a pro-controller and the NES controllers now, so no single joycon has to stand up to the strain of constant play.

3. Is a 128GB card enough if I am going to buy the majority of my games on a cart?

Probably depends on how many games you plan to buy and how heavily you favor physical vs digital. I bought a 128 soon after getting the system and I finally maxed it out a month or sop ago and had to archive a few larger games. The thing that killed me was I bought a few huge third party games (Doom, Wolfenstein, LA Noire, etc.) digital because the eshop sales for those titles were better than the physical sales. If you're going to stick to indies and first party games (which are usually shockingly well optimized) you can probably make 128 GB last for a very long time.

9. Is the Switch Pro Controller overall a good controller? I am hesitant based on what I've heard of the d-pad and I am not fond of asymmetrical sticks. I was considering the 8Bitdo SN30 Pro as well.

The pro-controller is, hands down, the best controller I've ever used. Yes, the d-pad sucks, but the form factor is awesome, it's incredibly durable, has amazing battery life, HD rumble (which is way cooler than it sounds), gyro, perfect button placement, and, honestly, it's just ideal in almost every possible way. So, unless you plan to play a lot of old school 2D platformers or puzzle games that demand absolute precision from the D-pad, I would unequivocally recommend it.

(BTW, if you do plan to play hours of, say, Shovel Knight or Tetris 99, I think the best option would be the much-maligned NES controllers that you can buy if you're a Switch Online member. That is, assuming you can play the game in question with *just* the d-pad, A, B, L, and R buttons.)

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I've only bought a glass screen protector and it's fine, no scratches at all, I don't think you need that much protection.

I have exactly a 128gb card and doing fine (all digital), it's plenty of space if you're not paranoid with needing to have all your bought games installed. Leave the ones you'll play installed and that's it. Also, I found that the vast majority of games, at least the ones that I'm interested, do not take that much space. Of course there's gonna be the "breath of the wilds" that take a lot of space but, at least for now, you probably won't be playing a lot of +40gb AAA games (just because there isn't a lot of those anyway).

Last edited:

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Not having Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild should be a criminal offense. Buy both.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
9. Is the Switch Pro Controller overall a good controller? I am hesitant based on what I've heard of the d-pad and I am not fond of asymmetrical sticks. I was considering the 8Bitdo SN30 Pro as well.

I have played most things with it. I've even taken to doing table top mode over handheld just to use it on the go. Went through MegaMan x legacy, mm11 and bloodstained with it just to name a few 2d games.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I got a lot more enjoyment out of Smash than Odyssey personally (preferred 3D World), but you can't really go wrong with either.

BotW is a no Brainer, that game is the must play of this generation

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
Of your options in the poll I chose Zelda and Odyssey.

Tbh I was a bit let down by Super Mario Party. My own fault perhaps, but I didn't realize you can only use the joycons (detached from the switch) to play the game. You can't use it in mobile mode with the joycons attached to the sides of the switch. If that doesn't bother you than it won't be a problem. So in order to play 4 players you need to buy more joycons.

I think the pro controller is an excellent controller and I use it as much as possible. It has a great feel in your hands and has long battery life. I also think the A, B, X, Y buttons are arguably the best buttons on a controller I've used. I do criticize the + and - buttons for being too inconspicuous and flat though, just a minor gripe to me.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
BotW for sure

For #2 choose between Odyssey and Smash based on whether you want more multi in addition to MP or more single player in addition to BotW

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Having bought a Switch and not been massively impressed with certain things, I'd say wait and see what the revised model offers before jumping in now when there are no financial incentives doing so.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I mainly want a good dpad for playing pixelart indies (I was going to get The Messenger, Axiom Verge, and Shovel Knight right away) and NES games.
I have these and I LOVE how it feels. It's genuinely my favorite d-pad on any product. Unfortunately they're apparently a pain to put on yourself, but if you want to spend the extra cash just do what I did and get them from this great guy on Etsy who'll do it for you: https://www.etsy.com/shop/g00s3yelectronics?ref=s2-header-shopname

Also add Hollow Knight and Hyper Light Drifter to that list ASAP

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
So I'll be picking up a Switch in the next two weeks and I have a few questions.

1. Is the joycon stick drifting issue, the dock warping issue, and the Switch screen warping issue fixed in the latest production models?

2. Do comfort grips loosen the joycons over time or are they safe to use over long periods?

3. Is a 128GB card enough if I am going to buy the majority of my games on a cart?

4. Does anyone have any experience with this dock scratch guard? I am interested in it because of the cart pouches.

5. How good is this vault case? I have the Vita and 3DS ones and I like them, is the Switch one just as good?

6. Is this the best glass screen protector to get?

7. Should I buy a dedicated car charger or will any 24W/4.8amp USB car charger adapter do?

8. You only need one joycon per player for Super Mario Party, yes?

Thank you so much for posting this thread. I bought a switch yesterday and you asked all the questions I had in mind. My screen protector, dock sock, and case are all on the way.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
BotW and Odyssey are must plays. That's such a killer 1-2 punch that even though this year as a whole might be better for the Switch I doubt any year will compare to the highs of its launch year.

Also - the gyroscope aiming in BoTW is a revelation. Other devs should be using this on all platforms and I don't understand why they're not. It makes lining up shots using joysticks so much easier.

Feb 15, 2019
I don't know if this counts as long but I've been using the Satisfye "Pro Gaming Elite" grip for slightly longer than a month now and, stupid name aside, so far I have had 0 issues with the joy cons (adding the fact that I replaced my left one with a Hori joycon for a better dpad) and I would definitely recommend them.

Do note that if you do buy grips, the Switch won't fit in most (all?) of the cases anymore unless you keep putting the grips on and off. And I don't know if that would end up damaging your joycons (I assume not since surely they'd be build around the fact that most people constantly switch between dock and undocked).

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8 DX
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

These are the absolute must have titles in my mind.

Get a Pro Controller, it's great. I would also recommend a carrying case, Hori makes the official ones. 128GB is good if you are going mostly physical. I have a 128 and am almost entirely digital and I've got quite a few games. I am upgrading soon though. The saves are on the Switch, so the SD cards just hold the game downloads.

IMAGINE PLAYING BREATH OF THE WILD FOR THE FIRST TIME AGAIN MY GOD CAN WE SWITCH BRAINS

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Oh, the Switch Pro controller is probably the best controller ever made for any console. Don't even think about it. Buy one.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Many good choices, and I think Zelda should definitely be one of them. I enjoy Splatoon 2 since the single player(get the expansion as well) and online are good. All the Mario games are excellent but I really love Mario Rabbids.

IndustryX

Dec 9, 2017
I bought a switch a few weeks ago. Already own LoZ, SMO, SSBU, SMP, MK8, and Pokemon LGP.

I'd say LoZ and Smash if you have friends to play Smash with (still very fun single player but most fun with friends) .

If it's single player mainly I'd say LoZ and Mario Odyssey.

Get Stardew Valley and Hollow Knight as well :)

I also recently got Overcooked 2 and that's a ton of fun with friends, and Diablo 3 which is actually so awesome playing portable.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
So I'll be picking up a Switch in the next two weeks and I have a few questions.

2. Do comfort grips loosen the joycons over time or are they safe to use over long periods?

4. Does anyone have any experience with this dock scratch guard? I am interested in it because of the cart pouches.

5. How good is this vault case? I have the Vita and 3DS ones and I like them, is the Switch one just as good?

6. Is this the best glass screen protector to get?

7. Should I buy a dedicated car charger or will any 24W/4.8amp USB car charger adapter do?

8. You only need one joycon per player for Super Mario Party, yes?

Out of those 5, I'd say Zelda, Mario, and Smash are by far the best. NSMBU would be great for local multiplayer with friends though. Always fun to toss them down bottomless pits ;)

I know you didn't have the game up there but I'd also recommend getting Splatoon 2. An online multiplayer shooter unlike any other out there and its damn well polished, albeit could use many QoL improvements. Then there are stuff like Mario Kart, Overcooked, Hollow Knight, Stardew Valley, etc. A lot to dig into
  1. I'm not quite sure, as I picked up mine in 2017, but I haven't had any of the latter issues and only experienced the former issue with one JoyCon, which was fixed free of charge because of the warranty
  2. I do have some and I haven't had any issues with them
  3. That's more than plenty. You could get away with 32 GB or less if you're mainly getting some physical games here and there
  4. Can't comment on that
  5. Same as above
  6. Same as above
  7. Same as above
  8. Yep, that's correct
  9. It's my favorite controller this generation and I haven't had any D-Pad issues thus far, although some have so I'd go in with some caution

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
They way the main game ended, I thought the DLC was going to be continuing the main game and it's story with a new area and maybe a dungeon. It's not.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Breath of the Wild > Mario Odyssey > Mario Kart 8D > Xenoblade 2 > Smash Bros Ultimate > Splatoon 2 > Pokemon Let's Go

Pretty much all of these are must haves too.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
new super mario bros. u dx is a really good to go between as a multiplayer game and as a really strong single-player experience. super mario odyssey has all kinds of style but less substance. breath of the wild is all substance but no style, so make that your single-player time sink.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Breath of the Wild and Smash are the best values and demand to be played by every Switch owner. Odyssey can come later.

Nov 1, 2017
The first 50-60 hours of Breath of the Wild were some of the most genuinely fun moments I've had with a videogame. It started to lose its luster for me when I beat the game but it's definitely something everyone should play.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Games wise, I would say if you're into turn based strategy RPG's, pick up Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle which was a great game and for me, the best game of 2017 for Switch.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Going to echo the poll results. BOTW & Mario are must haves. But that might be too much single player at one time. In that case Smash would be a great pick.

I did pour in 400+ hours of Xenoblade 2. So I'll just put that out there,

Golf Story and Stardew Valley were my most played downloaded games.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Buy a pro controller right off the bat. The joycons are trash. Best investment I did with my switch was the pro controller