• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
And it's affecting my ability to befriend hetero men.

Of all the things to try and be funny with why is male sexuality still targeted so much? I'm tired of telling them, "hey um, that's not right or funny."

I can't help but feel this is to outman other men or mask some blatant insecurity. Can anyone else relate? /Rant

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's toxic masculinity.

Same reason people still make male rape/prison rape jokes. Even though 1 in 6 men are victims of sexual violence/coercion/abuse, society still finds it acceptable to undermine their victimhood and act like it's a punchline.

Last edited:

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As a straight dude I can't relate at all but I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Those people aren't men, they're children who have never grown up.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We really need to change the notion of which words are OK and which aren't. Instead of telling kids that the words like shit and fuck are inappropriate, we need to drive home the issues with using words like f****t and n****r, because unlike the prior words which have no inherent target the latter words are clearly slurs directed and certain groups in a demeaning way.

Last edited:

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I try to call them out as often as I can. As a straight guy, I obviously can't relate to being gay and hearing the jokes, but I can relate to it being fucking annoying as hell to still hear and deal with that kind of garbage in 2019.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not only does broaching the topic even in a jokey context cause you or I to go through like all the social permutations of what their 'joke' might mean (queer experience is basically needing to figure out and pre-mediate everyone else and ourselves), but the gay jokes that straight guys tell are virtually never even funny in the first place.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
What's even a gay joke right now? "Hey, you hear that one about the dudes that are in love and make awesome salaries and are like super happy?"

Fuck butt jokes.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I think its fucking weird that so many straight guys think gay men are attracted to them..

Like these same dudes would be quick to tell you who they would fuck or who'd they'd never touch in a million years but in regards to gay men? It seems they want everyone they lay eyes on apparently.

So dumb.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think its fucking weird that so many straight guys think gay men are attracted to them..

Like these same dudes would be quick to tell you who they would fuck or who'd they'd never touch in a million years but in regards to gay men? It seems they want everyone they lay eyes on apparently.

So dumb.
Cooties dude.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
I feel you OP.

The thing that irritates me is when dudes use the word "pause" when they say something slightly homoerotic, and these dudes are in their mid-20s and early 30s...

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017

So dumb.
thats because they dont believe being gay is natural.
they think its something you can catch like a disease.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

So dumb.
There are plenty of gay men who are attracted to straight men. Vast majority of gay men aren't going to harass you about it though, so the fear is pretty unfounded and homophobic.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Recently had to tell off someone I've known for years because they pulled the ol' "They can be gay if they want, I just wish they didn't push it in my face or try and take over my video games!"

Haven't seen or talked to him since, and I don't regret it in the least. (added bonus: Just minutes before hand he was complaining about how they 'downgraded Tifa's tits', but the 2 seconds that a male character mentions their "husband" it's suddenly too much to enjoy their games anymore!)

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this an american thing? I honestly cant recall someone I know telling a "gay joke". Can't even google examples because literally you only get articles about how family guy are phasing out gay jokes

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this an american thing? I honestly cant recall someone I know telling a "gay joke". Can't even google examples because literally you only get articles about how family guy are phasing out gay jokes
Considering that gay men are routinely harassed in European cities as well, and homosexuality is still criminalized in many middle eastern, African, and Asian countries? No, it's a toxic masculinity/patriarchy thing, which is a global problem.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
No homophobia is not an American thing. If you believe that you are living a very sheltered life. Watch one Mexican football match for example.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
It's bizarre how normalised it is for supposedly non-homophobic straight guys to still treat the entire concept of being gay like some amazingly epic, gigantic comedic bit that the entire world is in on.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

So dumb.

One of my friends, ever since joining the military, has started to act like this and it's making me distance myself from him. He thinks all gay guys want to convert him. He's also the type of toxic person who says "no homo" after everything because he's so scared of being seen as gay.

Outside of that, I hear gay jokes all the time at college and it's sad. Prison rape jokes are common. It's disgusting.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I tend to make gay jokes with my friends but I am, in fact, a little bicurious

Edit: oh you mean those gay jokes

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017

So dumb.
On the flip side... can straight guys also stop play flirting? That shit ain't cute.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️

So dumb.
We're as attracted to men, as straight guys are to women. Doesn't matter what their sexuality is.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gay jokes are homophobia, they happen everywhere. Do you know any gay people? Ask them.

Ime it's a little more complicated than that. It's theoretically possible that a straight guy might tell a funny and chill gay joke (would probably require some intimate knowledge of our culture though), but usually it's like 'why the fuck did you have to bring that up?' because now I have to try to get a read on them and whether they're really chill with me just existing or not. And it can go to some weird places, when you think of all the potential reasons that someone might be compelled to bring the topic up...

So it's often homophobic, often not necessarily so, but in ether case it's enough of an annoying burden just to be made to tell one from the other all the time. Like you wouldn't make a controversial joke to someone you just met (I'd hope), so spare me, that kind of thing. But that's just ime.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This video right here has almost a million views.

I guess I just misunderstood what was meant by "jokes" then. I know about the no homo meme, but I don't really consider memes to be jokes, and certainly not memes as bad as that. I thought we were talking about more traditional types of jokes, like "knock knock" or "two gays walk into a bar" kind of jokes.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about homophobia in general. I'm talking specifically about straight people apparently making a ton gay jokes. It's just not something I've ever come across with anyone I know

That was definitely a thing in NZ when I was younger. It was super common in school, as in, an age where everyone is impressionable and bullying was rampant.
Def not an American thing.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Thankfully it's something that has noticeably decreased in recent years from my experience but always frustrating.

Still common sadly are things like fucked in the ass for being beat or what have you.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Toxic masculinity and homophobia are ingrained into society, and many straight men lose their shit if you ever confront them about it.

The only thing we can do is keep pushing against it and call it out whenever we see it. Always put your personal safety first though.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember the last time a friend of mine made a gay joke. Either I'm lucky, or I'm not considering something they're (or I'm?!) saying as homophobic.

Are they making a point of saying things in front of you?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you attracted to every single man that you see?

Not a good look to go against the point of what I'm tryna say, i don't know if you understood.
I think that poster is saying that just because a gay man finds you attractive doesn't mean he's going to sexually harass you. Since straight men sometimes conceive of gay men as sexually harassing boogeymen and as flirtation from a gay man as emasculating.

Straight men shouldn't assume that gay men are going to sexually harass them, but they also shouldnt lose their shit if a gay dude hits on them.