• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
yea the old forum was good too, great community which eventually settled here. I must say, the mods here are way better though. Some of the mods there had an agenda and kept banning me for no reason. I really like era a lot.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm glad too, love the lot of ya. None of my friends play games anymore and it's nice to have a place to go where I know people will listen to my bullshit about them. Coming up on my fifth year as a poster (counting the old site) and don't plan on leaving any time soon.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
tenor.gif

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
None of you are better than pizza tho, so you all fail by default.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never forget how despondent I felt the day I and a lot of users nuked their GAF accounts. It felt like I had lost a safe refuge to discuss (but mostly lurk) all the things I was interested in. I was overjoyed to see how quickly Era rose from the ashes and I've been thankful everyday it exists since then.

Days like today on the gaming side show me there's a LOT of work to be done, but I love this place nonetheless.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
I.. have my issues with this place, but it is without a doubt the best gaming forum out there, and I do want to say that the mod team is excellent. Going from my old forum hangouts where moderation was either minimal or non-existent, which led to an increase and eventual large or even majority alt right userbase, I'm really appreciative that there's somewhere actually willing to put their foot down on that and at least try to create a community that's inclusive to everyone. This place is far from perfect and can really get to me at times but it does try, and I do appreciate that. I really don't have anywhere else I could go outside of this forum.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
Glad you're here. I don't know the political orientation of "nerds", but I'm guess leaning center-left.

This forum obviously ranges from center-left to far-left, with some moderates and conservatives. I don't know the exact polling for this either, but reasonable guess based on majority of posts here.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Me too, OP! I hope to remain a part of this forum for a good while, and I'm grateful I could join around the time of ERA's birth.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm addicted to this place, and ninety percent of the time it brings me nothing but misery. Era, and GAF before it became Nazi Germany, is unparalleled as a news feed, be it gaming news or OT stuff. But everyone here is so exhaustingly miserable and outaged about absolutely everything all of the time and it just sends me into a spiral of depression. I'm happier when I'm not here, but I feel like I'm missing out, so I always come back.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the only websites where I don't have to deal with outright racism, so I'm grateful.

Oct 28, 2017
California
I'm glad this forum exists too. It may not be perfect and some folks on here take things way too seriously sometimes, but it's a hell of a lot better than every other forum in terms of moderation.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm addicted to this place, and ninety percent of the time it brings me nothing but misery. Era, and GAF before it became Nazi Germany, is unparalleled as a news feed, be it gaming news or OT stuff. But everyone here is so exhaustingly miserable and outaged about absolutely everything all of the time and it just sends me into a spiral of depression. I'm happier when I'm not here, but I feel like I'm missing out, so I always come back.

Seriously, scale it back it's not worth the stress. I stopped bothering with most threads and I'm a lot happier for it.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I like the topics we discuss, and I especially like the no-tolerance policy toward the bigotry and anti-social justice bullshit that has poisoned so many other forums and comment sections, but more and more I'm feeling worn down.

I'm a gay nonreligious very socially liberal millennial, and just about every thread about a piece of media, politics, or a controversial topic seems packed with joke characters who make me feel like 1) I'm an uncritical easily mollified no-taste jerkoff who foolishly focuses on what he enjoys in his entertainment and hobbies, or 2) I must be some sort of filthy unwoke moderate who loves to make excuses for intolerable views and behavior.

The relentless negativity about everything from entertainment media to the general state of the world, the attribution of the least charitable intentions to fellow posters and other people in general, and the tendency of many posters to rail against nuance in discussions about hot button issues, is exhausting. I couldn't believe some of the farcical unhinged garbage I was reading in that thread about male managers reporting discomfort with female coworkers.

But anyway, this place still seems better than any of the alternatives I've seen, because it acknowledges that equality and human rights aren't matters of opinion. So here I am.

I hear that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I think internet in general has made people angrier and depressed because they don't know how to switch that shitcock of internet persona on and off. Whatever platform you pick, it eventually leads to anger and depression.

Anyways, get off your phone and soak in the sun this summer. Maybe help me too? Just fuck off with the constant outrage, internet, and I think we all can live in harmonious shitposting relationship.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely believe that Era (and GAF before the fall) has made me a better person.

Forums may be a dying format, but the number of topics that I have been educated on, informed by, or exposed to in this place has changed my worldview dramatically over time.

I hope this place (or whatever it's offspring is) never dies.

The world will be worse place without it.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Always love era and appreciate all the personalities here. Love that people have a space without hate and nastiness for the most part. We could all be a bit more patient with each other at times, but for the most part, I appreciate what we have here.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

Just use the place as a news aggregate and nothing more, it's not worth the effort.

ODDI

Oct 27, 2017
It's good to browse for brief periods, honestly too much isn't good for my mental state.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017

I think the site is great and not what I keep seeing things about it outside the site but I get what you mean (suffering depression myself probably does not help). I sometimes feel it's not very welcoming because of it? Idk. Not to say that people are not allowed to talk about or bring up issues I think it's important to talk about lots of stuff and wouldn't ask anyone not to post any thread I've seen allowed here. But I will say I feel the site needs to allow more transparency I think.

Nov 13, 2017
I'm glad it exists too. None of my IRL friends play video games or are interested in nerdy things, so this is the only outlet I have to discuss those types of things which I care for so dearly.

In the past few years, especially, I've felt completely marginalized by "gaming culture" defined by bigoted, racist, sexist, homophobic assholes. Discovering this place and that gamers who weren't hateful actually existed was such a relief.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
me too. it's my personal cage where i scrap for hours. what would i do with myself? make more money? *scoffs*

XuandeXun

Self-requested ban
Banned
May 16, 2019
Glad to finally participate, but there has to be a better way of gatekeeping out trolling than forcing paid emails.

Between the end of my college days (2006) and literally this year (2019), I have not had a non-free email nor have I been in a position to get or borrow one. That's thanks primarily to my mental health issues, the isolation that comes with them, my general lack of income to sign up for a dedicated ISP, and my lack of supportive family.

When Discord finally kills off the forum format for good, I'll be back to having no place to go. I already burned my 18 year old GameFAQs account as that place is a shell of its former self, and Reddit is too much about a popularity contest for meaningful discussion.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
ive had to pad my ignore list quite a bit, but since then this place has gotten a lot more tolerable. dont know where else i would go to talk about the vidya.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I'm becoming more disillusioned with the place. I don't want go back to GAF, but I don't feel quite right here either.