• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hawk

Oct 25, 2017
I mean nothing's been announced yet, but that seems to be the way we're heading. It sucks because it seems like the industry just switched to HD a minute ago (about ten years now) and apparently there's something called 8k on the horizon which will probably be a factor for the PS6. This is all a little ridiculous, I think, like back in the day you could just buy a tv and be set, now it feels like you have to buy a new TV for every console generation and that's somewhat alarming.

Does anyone feel this way or is it just me?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you don't have to. The games will still play on your 1080p TV. Also, hopefully developers learned from the fiasco that was the Dead Rising text on the 360.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I definitely don't think they are going to force it. Buying a new TV once a decade doesn't seem like a big issue either though.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
If the difference between demands for 4k and 1080p means it's the difference between 30fps and 60fps, I'd prefer to stick with 1080p.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it. Last gen HD was introduced but SD was still an option. I'm sure next gen will follow that trend and continue to support HD even as 4K becomes more common.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
4K TVs are dirt cheap now, even decent ones. My first HDTV I bought in 2007 or so for like 1200 bucks. My current Vizio 4K TV I bought like a year or two ago was like $800. That same TV is probably like $400-$450 now. Pretty soon 8K TVs will be the new thing. That's just the way it is now.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
This is not like going standard def to HD and we've had 1080p as the standard for media for over 10 years which is more than enough time. 4K TVs aren't even that expensive nowadays to be honest and by the time the next gen hits they'll be extremely cheap.

NSider

Oct 27, 2017
Technology moves forward, and that's a good thing.

I think now console makers and game/middleware developers are making games that are more scalable, so backward compatibility with older TVs won't be as big of an issue anymore.

Beans

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you want the full experience yes.

The reason why I'm not an early adapter is because I'm waiting for the prices to settle and for the technology to improve so I can get the best value for money when I decide to finally upgrade which imagine will be around next generation coincidentally.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even without resolution changes, you'd still be buying new TVs for adequate gaming in the old days. That 13 inch TV you played Super Mario Bros 3 on looked pretty damn ancient by the time you were trying to play FFVII on it.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
They're pretty cheap right now tbh. Even the more expensive oled models of today will be dirt cheap by the time next gen rolls around.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
If it doesn't support 1440p like the Xbox One X, then I'll be slightly perturbed. I still think it's annoying that people want consoles to run games in 4K when they still struggle to run games at 1080p/60fps.

LitheSaber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The ps5 gen will be probably like the ps3/360 gen. It will support both out of the box but games will only be really playable on a 4K set.

OP
OP
Hawk

Hawk

Oct 25, 2017
So you guys don't think they'll be issues with small text like with Xbox 360 and SDTVs?

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt they'd force people to jump up to 4K. They'd miss a ton of initial sales—only incredibly hardcore PlayStation fans would upgrade their TV just for a new system. I mean, that's another $500+ in addition to the price of the console. It would be akin to the Xbox One always requiring internet debacle.

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
I know how you feel. Though force is probably the wrong word. Probably just a nudge. With my 1080 tv, I'm fine, however in the back of my head I know that if I had a 4k tv with hdr it would look better.

Deleted member 11002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, you won't. Eventually it will be the standard, but you aren't being forced to get on board early. This is silly.

Basically, if you are in the market for a new TV, it makes sense to go 4K, but you don't have to

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
SmĂĄland, Sweden
I have a 1080p TV and no plans on changing it anytime soon. I expect the PS5 to work perfectly fine on it, heck, I expect the PS6 to work perfectly fine on it.

Yeah, "Dead Rising text" is my biggest fear, and kinda what prompted me to make this thread.
I don't think that will be an issue ever again. Game text is handled in a different way these days and scale well between different resolutions (unlike games back in the 90s and early 00s where text often had a fixed size and thus changed size as you changed resolution) and to render unreadable text for a 1080p resolution requires a very special talent. A talent that wouldn't get very far in the industry.

OP
OP
Hawk

Hawk

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 1080p TV and no plans on changing it anytime soon. I expect the PS5 to work perfectly fine on it, heck, I expect the PS6 to work perfectly fine on it.

I don't think that will be an issue ever again. Game text is handled in a different way these days and scale well between different resolutions (unlike games back in the 90s and early 00s where text often had a fixed size and thus changed size as you changed resolution) and to render unreadable text for a 1080p resolution requires a very special talent. A talent that wouldn't get very far in the industry.

Huh, I was unaware of this.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
If you're an Xbox fan, 4K starts next week. Consider yourself lucky. lol I'm shopping for TVs now.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The hell is wrong with 1080p?

Nothing, but those TVs are not built to last ten years. If you reach five years that's already good. By the time PS5 comes out half of the 1080p sets out there will be broken (it costs $400+ to repair a two year old TV because they don't produce spare parts after a year of production) and replaced with 4K and 8K TVs. 1080p is dying. Even if you manage to keep your TV alive for more than five years the brightness of the LCD/LED will be so diminished that it is no joy to watch anymore.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
4K HDR TVs from LG and Samsung are available for less than 500 bucks by now. You may not need one to enjoy playing PS5 games but eventually you may want one. Good news is they'll be even cheaper when PS5 launches. And 8K? Probably not that big of a deal due to diminishing returns in the first place.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
You will be able to use a 1080p or even 720p TV. This is different from moving from 4:3. From now on all TV sets are 16:9, so everything will scale properly. Also, 8K pixel count divides evenly into 4K, 1440p, 1080p, 720p and 480p, unlike any of the previous standard resolutions

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I like my 1080p TV.

I've been putting off buying a 4K as I'll hopefully use it for a decade or so. Seems like for every 6 months you wait there's a decent improvement to TV technology.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
4K HDR TVs from LG and Samsung are available for less than 500 bucks by now. You may not need one to enjoy playing PS5 games but eventually you may want one. Good news is they'll be even cheaper when PS5 launches. And 8K? Probably not that big of a deal due to diminishing returns in the first place.

Bigger numbers will attract more customers. I'd be surprised if five years from now the majority of TVs won't be 8K.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
It probably won't be forced upon you, but 4K in the next generation of consoles absolutely will be the standard.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be ready to make the jump to 4k by then. I'm still using a 720p TV. Haven't felt much need to go to 1080, so when I'm gonna upgrade, it'll be to 4k.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be surprised. With regard to the necessary bandwidth / data volume I believe 8K will be only an option for enthusiasts for a very long time, and mass adaption will take much longer than any other new res bump so far.

SoftTaur

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing, but those TVs are not built to last ten years. If you reach five years that's already good. By the time PS5 comes out half of the 1080p sets out there will be broken (it costs $400+ to repair a two year old TV because they don't produce spare parts after a year of production) and replaced with 4K and 8K TVs. 1080p is dying. Even if you manage to keep your TV alive for more than five years the brightness of the LCD/LED will be so diminished that it is no joy to watch anymore.
I've had my tv since 2009 and it still looks the same.

Draccus

Oct 27, 2017
England
Here's me still using my 720p Sony Bravia, haha!

I'd like to upgrade but I just don't see that it's necessary yet. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some truly spectacular TVs that show me how far they've come but it's just an unnecessary expense at the moment. If I do upgrade, it'll most likely be when the PlayStation 5 is announced.