• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt you will be forced. But I kind of regret buying a regular 1080p TV last year. I feel like 4K has picked up a lot more since then. I still want one of those curved ones.

of course it has. just over a year ago the XB1S launched and it had a 4K Blu ray player. almost a year ago the PS4 Pro launched which was the first console to run games at 4K resolution (even if a lot of games don't render at 2160p). and we've known for a long time now about the XB1X. on the PC side of things we got GPUs that pushed towards 4K 60fps (1080 ti + both titans) so yeah 4K has definitely picked up a bit of pace the last year or so.

i don't think it's quite ready yet though. even the XB1X will struggle to render games at 2160p and rely on upscaling tricks. 4K 30fps is perfectly achievable on PC but most people will want 60+ fps not 30 lol. the sheer power isn't quite there yet and the cards with the best shot at it are quite expensive.

i'm riding out my 1080p tv + monitor a while yet. 2019 is probably gonna be when i jump over. the PS5 will be close and by 2019 4k 60fps will be more accessible. it'll let the prices of tvs/monitors drop a bit more too.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i don't see the need to go higher resolution than 1080p personally

higher resolution is the least exciting thing about new gaming hardware, yet it will be what developers focus on

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I've been running projector setups for over a decade now and 4K HDR ones will probably still be too expensive for me to afford by the time PS5 launches. 4K itself isn't the problem but the affordable projectors I've looked at have problems with HDR it seems. So I need to consider either switching back to a regular TV screen or giving up some bells and whistles.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Within the next year or so all new TV's will be 4K/HDR and even decent ones will be rock bottom prices. You'd be denying yourself experiencing a game the way it was meant to be seen just to save a few hundred dollars. You can already get decent 4k/HDR TV's for under $500 in a few years they will be even cheaper. Seems silly to buy a PS5 when it comes out just to have it gimped cause you are holding onto a 1080P TV that could be upgraded fairly cheap.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually looking into a new set now -- Eyeing the 65" LG C7, it looks mighty fine.