• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JustSomeone

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Judging by the switch's success, the ps5 may come with its own screen

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Sticking with pc next gen until they do a discount and have a good amount of exclusive. I literally refuse to pay for online access (the thought of doing so for multiplayer absolutely infuriates me) now so all of the big three can get lost on that as far as im concerned. Ill get whatever console i want after price drops/revisions for single player exclusives. So ill most likely get a 4k monitor eventually then upgrade my tv

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Judging by the switch's success, the ps5 may come with its own screen
Sony is selling well ps4, and the 2 attempts they tried to Challenge Nintendo in the portable market they Lost.
Why they should risk things? Leave the home console market only to micro?

Maybe Sony Will do something like this, but It Will not be ps5

Grief.exe

Oct 26, 2017
Nope.

The image will just downsample to your 1080p TV, but the real reason is the console manufacturers won't want to lose a potential market.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
As long as we never get something similar to a Dead Rising unreadable text issue again then I'm riding out my current displays until they die. My TV is still only 720p and my PC monitor is 1080p. Resolution increases are the most overrated advancement there is as far as I'm concerned.

On the positive side for me if next gen games are crippling themselves to run at 4K resolutions on console and if I'm still playing the PC ports at 1080p then I should be able to go with relatively cheap hardware and still get a good framerate.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
4K TVs are dirt cheap now, even decent ones. My first HDTV I bought in 2007 or so for like 1200 bucks. My current Vizio 4K TV I bought like a year or two ago was like $800. That same TV is probably like $400-$450 now. Pretty soon 8K TVs will be the new thing. That's just the way it is now.

Yep. My Sam's club has really damn good LG 4K TV's with Active HDR and Local Dimming for under $1,000. A 65-inch version is $850-ish. I'm shocked at how cheap they are.

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fry's is selling a 55-inch 4K TV for $278 this weekend. They cannot possibly get any dirt-cheaper than they already are. It's hard to complain about being "forced" to buy a new TV with prices like these.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
There is still not a lot of content for 4K tvs.

Games seem to be the biggest driver.

When the providers switch to 4K for all channels you will see a much bigger adoption rate.

Black Knight

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You will not be forced, however you will have to buy one to extract every little bit of your console power

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is still not a lot of content for 4K tvs.

Games seem to be the biggest driver.

When the providers switch to 4K for all channels you will see a much bigger adoption rate.
Adoption rate for 4K TVs is guaranteed to reach 100% someday because you basically can't buy a 1080p TV anymore unless you're purposely shopping for one. There's no particular cost barrier between making a 1080p TV and a 4K one for the manufacturers, so they are all making 4K TVs. If you're purposely holding onto 1080p you're basically not planning on ever buying a TV again in your life and that's just silly. If you're in the market for a TV, what you see in stores now is 4K TVs.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
You are not forced to do anything in your life, we have free will. If you have a 1080P tv you'll live.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning on upgrading in 2-3 years. I'll just get whatever is the best one can get with ~600 bucks, which I'm sure will be pretty nice.

We got our tv in 2012 I think. So to get 6-8 years out of a tv isn't too bad.

Just plan ahead. I put away about 10 bucks every month right now so I'll have a savings to use when it's time to upgrade.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Dead Rising Text on the fault of fuzzy CRT screens moreso than being sub-HD? A problem that any modern 1080p screen wouldn't have.

TheChamp

Abused the Buy/Sell/Trade thread
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 will mainly be 4k for sure since 1080p won't make best use of the consoles power

Given HD started in 2005? It's been a good 13 years almost

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
OP, the biggest issue I have with the first post is that you feel a 10 year resolution cycle is short. I think it's perfectly fine to shift to 4K. With that said, 8K is a LONG way off from mainstream and the next generation of consoles will not force a move from 1080P, so you will be fine staying there for a while if you choose.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Adoption rate for 4K TVs is guaranteed to reach 100% someday because you basically can't buy a 1080p TV anymore unless you're purposely shopping for one. There's no particular cost barrier between making a 1080p TV and a 4K one for the manufacturers, so they are all making 4K TVs. If you're purposely holding onto 1080p you're basically not planning on ever buying a TV again in your life and that's just silly. If you're in the market for a TV, what you see in stores now is 4K TVs.
I want to get a new TV. Been wanting an OLED since I saw the LG in store whenever they first came out.

But my problem is that it feels so wasteful to throw away my old tv when my works perfectly and I know I won't really get much use out of the newer tv. My cable service doesn't even really have true 1080P let alone 4K and I don't have a BR player or even a video player to support that content. If my 10 year Samsung dies I would buy the LG in a second but until it does I can't find a real reason to upgrade.

I mean I have a 5K iMac and even that doesn't have a lot of support when it comes to media. I love it for viewing text but what else are you going to use the new TV other than games, which there are not a ton of games on console that support it yet.

I agree we will get there but to me it seems premature and also I don't see it being an upgrade most people run to.

Prologue

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean nothing's been announced yet, but that seems to be the way we're heading. It sucks because it seems like the industry just switched to HD a minute ago (about ten years now) and apparently there's something called 8k on the horizon which will probably be a factor for the PS6. This is all a little ridiculous, I think, like back in the day you could just buy a tv and be set, now it feels like you have to buy a new TV for every console generation and that's somewhat alarming.

Does anyone feel this way or is it just me?

You had two generations(360/ps3 and xbox one/ps4) of 720-1080p. Is PS5 "requiring" a 4k TV that much of a reach?

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1080p needed to die long before now. It's sad consoles and television are still catching up to 20 year old PC tech.

But no, you'll still be allowed to use your 1080p set for the forseeable future, even if it is holding progress hostage.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
No you won't. But the beauty about the rumored launch timing is that in around 2 years would probably be considering upgrading anyway.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'll have a 4KTV until at least 2 years of PS5 being on the market.

1080p display with downsampling will suit me just fine until then.

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No.

4K HDMI cables are backwards compatible and I can't imagine Sony limiting their potential audience by making their next console work only on a 4K TV.....

astroglide

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
you arn't being forced to buy anything. I dont game on pc very much. I mainly play games like starcraft 2 wow etc on there. I play on a 720 p screen because I haven't cared about updating my monitor. my choice

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. You will likely miss out on a lot of benefits but I imagine it would be PS3 like. Works on last gen TV format but better on current gen.

PS3: Regular A/V + HD
PS5: HD and UHD

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to. It will just downsample to 1080p more than likely but you won't be getting the best experience so there's that.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017

He's right with regard to adaption rate of new TVs. Even today only super low cost TVs don't offer 4K resolution, it has pretty much become the standard for any TV bigger than 40 inches.

You're probably right however with 4K TV penetration in households. In May 2017 for example only 16% of US households owned a 4K TV set, according to the Consumer Technology Association (CTA).

Somni

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Unless you feel compelled to play on a higher resolution display, no one's forcing you to do anything. Unless they somehow change the input format for next gen, which is very unlikely.

Plenty of folks are still gaming on 1080p displays. Although 4k is most likely going to be the standard, with more people having made the jump by then due to more and more units become cheaper.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
After moving to a gaming monitor this gen (mainly because I had to move abroad and had to part with my glorious Aquos 1080p HDTVs), I don't think I'll go back to a TV for gaming. 4K or 8K or whatever would be for strictly movies and sports.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
No, I don't think you'll be forced to upgrade, OP. These newer consoles will still have support for your TV and HDMI cables (Sony and MS would be very foolish to cut off support for any type of HDTV really). Also, as I understand it (I don't have a 4K TV) the jump from 1080p to 2160p is much smaller (or at least, less noticeable) than the jump from 480i/p to 720p. That was the single biggest leap we've ever had, and the drastic increase in resolution (not to mention the 16:9 aspect ratio) had a pretty dramatic impact on the playability of many games. I don't think that will be the case with 4K, honestly, and your TV might still see significant benefits like Supersampling! So yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. :)
Nothing, but those TVs are not built to last ten years. If you reach five years that's already good. By the time PS5 comes out half of the 1080p sets out there will be broken (it costs $400+ to repair a two year old TV because they don't produce spare parts after a year of production) and replaced with 4K and 8K TVs. 1080p is dying. Even if you manage to keep your TV alive for more than five years the brightness of the LCD/LED will be so diminished that it is no joy to watch anymore.
X1 Two What is this nonsense? 1080p TV's don't die after 5 years, lol. I have a 1080p Panasonic Plasma that's still going strong over 8 years after I bought it, with the picture being as beautiful as ever! I'm personally waiting until I can get a 4K TV with similar or less input lag than my current TV (16me of lag, with no Game Mode required) and without having to ruin my picture quality with those awful looking "Game" modes, and all at an affordable price. Once that happens, I'll jump in, but in the meantime, my Panasonic Plasma is still going strong.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Don't jump the shark. PS Pro and XBX both still struggle with true 4k so I'm not super optimistic about PS5 being a smooth ride either.

AnimalFather

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
im thinking of updating my entire rig for when cyberpunk 2077 and Anthem hits. new tv new gaming system xbox one x. probably keep my 5.1 sound setup though.

probably get one of those samsung HDR 55 inch 4k Qled tv

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i imagine by PS5 there will be system side downsampling if you want to stick with 1080p. i intend to buy into 4k once it becomes a standard. when all games are 4k, i'll buy a 4k TV.

question is, will sony mandate it?

Kripton

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Im planing to buy a 4k TV by the time PS5 arrives. Not a big deal with today prices. If you add 2/3 years until it launch. It will be even cheaper.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
doesn't bother me. i got a 1080p tv just after the PS3 came out and since I'm quite satisfied with my PS4 Slim then there is no need for me to get a 4K any time soon but i'll get one in time for PS5 launching.

i still have a 1080p monitor for my PC. i did buy a 1440p monitor but felt like it was a waste of money so i just downsample 1440/1800p to 1080p. 4K 60fps is still damn expensive right now. £700-800 for a 1080 Ti and even that can struggle in some games. might be tempted to jump to a 4K 60hz monitor when the new nvidia cards come out.

Graciaus

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt you will be forced. But I kind of regret buying a regular 1080p TV last year. I feel like 4K has picked up a lot more since then. I still want one of those curved ones.

Oct 27, 2017
While Sony sometimes make some questionable decisions around what they do/don't support, the main thing I see these days is developers having the HUD elements render in the native display resolution, but the rest of the graphics scaled appropriately according to their game engine, this should make supporting 4k/1080p/1440p and even 720p something that has little impact on them.

Personally the biggest improvement they can actually make is supporting more PC monitor resolutions, e.g. Ultra-wide etc.meaning they open the market up a little to people who play on their PC monitors.