• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
So where do I even start?

For some months now I figured I could have a fuzzy flatmate. I'm living in a big German city, so just getting a random kitty running free isn't an option. Needs to be a flatmate. Also I want two, since I'm working still, and I don't want the cat to be all alone during the day.

Disclaimer: I've had pets all my life up until 10ish years ago. Cats, a dog, rats, hamsters, reptiles, an incredibly cute tarantula, a freaking hamster rat. I'm good to and with animals, I love them more than I do some humans. Couldn't have any 'cause of my crappy apartment before, but I moved about a year ago and figured yo, why not. It should be good now! I prepared a balcony with a custom made setup of wooden planks and a big-ass cat net, so it's secure. I got about 50m2, so that should be alright as well. Also, a big terrace, which will be added once I figure out my future buddy's behaviour on the smaller balcony.

So, I'm all prepared and hyped, so let's move on to get some kittys in here! Now, as any well-behaved Germand would do, I checked Ebay Classifieds, which is a thing over here. It's basically Ebay without the bidding and getting your shit personally. Turns out, 90% of people on there are literal crazy persons.

At one client's home, after multiple emails and after setting up a meeting, I was greeted by her mum who never even knew her daughter was planning to sell the family cats. At another, I was walking up to the door when I got a message going "Oh, looks like I'm giving the cats to a friend. Hope you understand". Long story short, I will not recommend this method to anyone. Why did I check in the first place? 'Cause it's friggin' cheap. Those cats will probably end up in shelters anyway, and some people literally sell their loved ones for like 20 bucks. Well, turns out that's for a reason.

So I checked local shelters and found.. nothing. One shelter didn't have house cats at all. The other one had two pairs that'd fit, but one was already pretty much promised elsewhere, the other one was a wild pair who never even saw a room before. I went on checking more shelters in the surrounding areas and finally found an adorable pair of black-and-white european short-hair cats. A few days later, I called the shelter again (after they told me to call again a few days later) and nope, they don't think the cats are right for me. Because I leave for work. Well, fine. But you could have told me before I drove 1.5 hours to your place, guys.

Anyhow, after checking more and more places, I suddenly fell in love with one kitty showcasing of a German-Spanish cat shelter cooperation. Her name's Pandora, she's in Sevilla and she's gorgeous.

v3_Pandora-01.jpg

I read up on her description, and it seems she already has a friend over there, called Kira. Kira is equally adorable.

v2_Kira-02.jpg

Getting a Spanish pet over here is expensive, it requires not only a protective charge per cat, but also charges for the flight and the transport equipment. I'm not lying when I'm saying getting these two clowns over here will let me end up in the negatives within a few days from paying, at least for this month. I didn't care. Those two are the cutest things I've ever seen.

My contact from the group called a day later, and despite the typical Bufbaf luck, she told me there are multiple people having an interest on Pandora, but I'm literally the only one who noticed the friendship with Kira and would take both of'em in. The contact person is amazing, we get off well, the talks are really nice and I would recommend this group to anyone. So now I'm top of the list. I can't believe my luck, and turns out, I sadly was right.

It didn't take half an hour for the next phone call to arrive. Turns out Kira used a visit to the vet to escape. She just ran and wasn't seen again. I already felt my heart dropping. I knew something wouldn't work out, I knew something would happen. It's just my luck, and it's absolutely nothing new. I'm not even saying this for effect, I literally knew something would happen.
But then she said, if I'm still interested, they can check up on the shelter family to see if there are other friends of her available. And, after a quick call, oh my god, yes, there was! Meet Alejandro!

Alejandro-08.jpg

Alejandro's a few months older than Pandora, but apparently those two also get along quite well. And you can't imagine my surprise when my contact person told me, that I'd still be on top of the damn list, if I would decide to take Alejandro in with Pandora.

She gave me a day to take a pause and think about it (be aware, these calls took place yesterday, within one(!) evening at about 7 to 11 pm, and today I settled and sent the official reservation for both of'em. And I got the OK. I already payed, I'll be getting a contract via mail, everything's good to go. It'll be a poor man's month, going from 20 bucks on Ebay to about 400 from spain will take a toll, but that's alright. It's just a month.

She'll let me know as soon as there's a fitting plane flight in sight, and I legitimately can't wait. Meanwhile we're still chatting about setting up the apartment, how an animal welfare guy will visit my apartment to check if it's alright, how everything will work out and what I'd need to think about. Again, this organization seems great, and I'm feeling extremely lucky I found it by chance.

So year, I've got some kittys coming up in the next few weeks or months, depending on a plane flight. I'll keep you updated, if you want, but I just wanted to write this whole thing down somewhere. I dunno if anyone understands, but after all those setbacks, which I didn't even put down completely in here, I can't still grasp I managed to soon say "hi" to the one cat that really captivated me from the get-go and her hella cute friend. Here's hoping they'll catch a flight soon. I'm happy, guys, and this text turned out way longer than I expected.

Era needs more kitties!

Oct 30, 2017
My wife and I have 3 cats, 2 female and 1 male. I love them all, but my boy Arnold pushes all the wrong buttons constantly. He's a gigantic baby that can't stand being out-alpha'd by a 2 year old orange tabby. He's on feline Prozac and we keep him on our enclosed patio at night because he never shuts up. He marks around the house constantly and has used the carpet as his personal litter box a few times too. Ugh.

Our 2 girls are the sweetest cats ever though. It is a night and day difference. They wait for my wife and I to get home every evening, then they eat their food and each find a respective lap where they stay the rest of the evening.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
That's awesome. I'm happy to hear they'll be going to a great home and someone who's excited to add them to their family.

Enjoy your new friends, OP. They're beautiful animals.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Right? Now the long wait for the final contract, a check-up on my apartment and, finally their flight to Germany begins ;_;

I've got a feeling I'll spend a lot of these days building all kinds of cat friendly furniture.

D'aww, lot of prep but it'll be so worth it :')

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
Ich drĂĽck die Daumen dass alles klappt, bufbaf.
Best of luck, and hopefully the flights will be sooner rather than later. Give the two beauties a good ole hug from us era folks, ya hear?

OP
OP
Bufbaf

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Diary update:

Check-up was great, I was told she was very happy both with me and my apartment and preparations. 10/10. I just got a call, the kitties' flight will most probably (depending on the spanish shelter organization and if the cats will be fine until then) on May 21th. A bit of a wait still, but could be way worse. Some time to build kitty caves and catwalks :D

OP
OP
Bufbaf

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Diary update:

May 21st still going as planned, it's just 20 days now. Here's my list of things I got/built/ordered so far, tell me if I missed something important:

1 big cat condo/tree for the living room
1 medum sized cat condo/barrel for whereevs, probably bedroom
2 wall shelves, equipped with sisal mats, for them to find their way from the couch onto the living room cupboard, also sisal mat up there
1 balcony equipped with net
1 kitty bed to see if they like that stuff
1 little kitty cave built into an ikea board
3 litter boxes and a litter shovel
1 bunch of cat toys, plush mice, poles, balls
1 cat nip spray
1 hair brush
1 laser pointer
1 cat toy box thing with noisy balls rolling around in it and paw holes
1 self-made toybox /cardboard box with toilet paper rolls to hide snacks in
some blankets
assorted food, dry and wet, litter and snacks, caps for open cans
assorted cardboard boxes and rolls

I guess that's it.

So much money, but also so much anticipation. I really hope I won't regret anything.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
If I can say this without sounding patronising, but it sounds cute the levels you're going to to make these tiny creatures comfortable :)

And honestly, you won't regret it. I'd barely even met a kitty before I met my wife and her two older ladies (Chloe and Spooky) but they've been awesome to have in our lives and I love them to bits.

Cats really are amazing, just make sure to not get offended if they don't use the things you bought for them. They'll use what they want for whatever purpose they want, whether you like it or not. But you've got cardboard boxes, and that should do them just fine.

OP
OP
Bufbaf

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
If I can say this without sounding patronising, but it sounds cute the levels you're going to to make these tiny creatures comfortable :)
Not patronising at all, I know I'm probably overdoing it a bit :) Of all the things, I just really hope they like the little catwalk boards I made and actually use them, everything else is stuff I got either cheap/used or would need anyway (food, litter etc)

It's basically these, leading (theoretically) up from the couch (unter the framed pic) to the top of the cupboard, with a cut Ikea rug glued on. If they don't like'em, I can always remove the rugs and just, well, use them, but still. The "Kitty cave" is basically a hole cut into one of these

s-l300.jpg

so nothing I'd be upset about.

OP
OP
Bufbaf

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Have more pics Era

6waJRpZ.jpg

w82xVRV.jpg

G5dzi5V.jpg

57twlzw.jpg

mb2svWS.png

Kitties!

They settled in alright :) Still fighting out who's owning the apartment (it being me is obviously out of the picture) and I really hope my neighbors will survive upcoming nights if yesterday night was any indication. They are adorable though, so there's nothing I can do.

OP
OP
Bufbaf

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Congrats on the new family. Crazy that your local shelters didn't have any.
They had a lot, but all of them were looking for families, free-roaming garden at least, full-on outside opportunity (however that'd work in the city), older people(?), at some places I didn't even know. Also, in the very rare opportunity of a fitting cat, they only had one, waiting for a place with at least another cat already at home. I bet if I'd go again today, I'd find thousands. That's just how it is :D

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I love their colouring, they're too cute! How many did you get?

And will they remain indoor kitties? I'd strongly recommend you do (just from personal experience) but of course it's your decision to make :)

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
They had a lot, but all of them were looking for families, free-roaming garden at least, full-on outside opportunity (however that'd work in the city), older people(?), at some places I didn't even know. Also, in the very rare opportunity of a fitting cat, they only had one, waiting for a place with at least another cat already at home. I bet if I'd go again today, I'd find thousands. That's just how it is :D

Ah yeah. Was about to ask that myself. But still curious, how did you end up with Spain? Anyways, they look great! Have 2 cats myself, they're the bomb.

OP
OP
Bufbaf

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I love their colouring, they're too cute! How many did you get?

And will they remain indoor kitties? I'd strongly recommend you do (just from personal experience) but of course it's your decision to make :)

It's two, Suna and Kumo, Suna is a bit of a tsundere right now but Kumo's adorkable. They will remain indoor, which is why i got them both in the first place. Living in a big city near heavy traffic so yeah. They have a secured balcony though and I'll prepare a bigger terrace as well.
I'll expect a new transport case and leashes by today, that's gonna be fun to train -.-

Ended up with Spain because I didn't have any luck with the shelters around. Most want their cars to be outside cats, others wanted bigger families, room, house owners and so on.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it's just me or not, but some of the images posted are completely broken? Specifically the last one (but others too). I see the url as this:
Code:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/VwcACJBYxnMSMJ5UlZYySLKcPs6D1AkNYu-lHgFQnNoslOAMgkSwWDL1gesCQngYNTB68kJ6b1a1lSsRgG3_oj3pWusJ-Ed1-Cmd_t9WaFq5Gc0xMjor36wGSlG3Twsx-rVDb5HVyXBWFK4w8AAYeMXIZ38qxGtlXEnmQehSm8Pmejh5w_nRa4VZ-0jnGs39TUCCANjmc1r8Ti-OO9C_ZFnT1gt-yd33oQnIeD7D3DizrYm_zTU3Oqmb79YeYL1SeBSBjzOKP0Ssl1u9CWUXm0M3oQta6BPh9-WR6oXYACdU4b2ntO88ZcTj9Pm96VyvMkXa1zH-fb6bau4TlZBG8rCyX-9jhoxIdhfEkadv8ItU-LrgPs4Nor2vAG7zQLwI802OnYapEn068Z8UnwRZbpIgl7LvfqGpPF7-hH0xnpoqiAaOG_GE2vcWnji8wObQnyJJcIuVNumq5TE073BexCpLIBc1qL2tMkbxxuWRJD5r-BnVVuYb6iOL0gFmaM0Tf30hdEMgXpLWeGVc5NTcwpTpPMY5XiYV7Wkd6Vg5ZjFQ9YxiO8Vp5LtGsQ=s1248-w1248-h702-no