• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I can understand people criticizing me and telling me that I was unprepared for all of this, because it was true. However, the timing was pretty poor for that as I was so fragile that I really could barely function as-is. To be honest, the hurdle is not over yet, I still have a few things I need to sort out, but at least until Monday I should have some relief.

Glad you iight. Just use this as a life lesson: Shit can and will go wrong in life. Don't freak out, just work the problem as best you can and be willing to accept if you can't. Ask for help if you can.

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand people criticizing me and telling me that I was unprepared for all of this, because it was true. However, the timing was pretty poor for that as I was so fragile that I really could barely function as-is. To be honest, the hurdle is not over yet, I still have a few things I need to sort out, but at least until Monday I should have some relief.

This is another good life lesson. Lots of people legitimately don't care about your well-being. Others just operate on the idea of tough love. You cast a huge net by posting to the web about your problems, expect to filter out some responses or to not get any help at all. The truth is, you fucked up and with that usually comes some eating of shit. It's totally ok. Everyone fucks up. Learn from this and become stronger.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
This is another good life lesson. Lots of people legitimately don't care about your well-being. Others just operate on the idea of tough love. You cast a huge net by posting to the web about your problems, expect to filter out some responses or to not get any help at all. The truth is, you fucked up and with that usually comes some eating of shit. It's totally ok. Everyone fucks up. Learn from this and become stronger.

Facts. I nair'd my balls once and asked for advice to stop the burning and bleeding once. Got nothing but "LMAO, oh no what was you thinking?!" Sometimes ya just gotta take the L.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OK, got some more things out of the way:
I finally paid for my accommodation
I was able to register and start my classes

I am still not 100% out of the clear though, I would say that I need to figure these things out:
I need to open a bank account
I need to link my bank account to WeChat Pay
I need to figure out how to put money onto my student card to be able to pay for the food at the cafeteria
I need to speak to someone to figure out how to approve the release of my forms to my home university so that I actually get credit for my work here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Facts. I nair'd my balls once and asked for advice to stop the burning and bleeding once. Got nothing but "LMAO, oh no what was you thinking?!" Sometimes ya just gotta take the L.

Response is as expected.

OK, got some more things out of the way:
I finally paid for my accommodation
I was able to register and start my classes

I am still not 100% out of the clear though, I would say that I need to figure these things out:
I need to open a bank account
I need to link my bank account to WeChat Pay
I need to figure out how to put money onto my student card to be able to pay for the food at the cafeteria
I need to speak to someone to figure out how to approve the release of my forms to my home university so that I actually get credit for my work here.

You'll get there OP. Culture shock happens. I've travelled a lot, and I'm used to hopping on a plane on short notice, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a little bit of culture shock for my first trip to India.

Did you know that the army (if not army some heavily armed police) won't let you enter HYD airport if you don't have a boarding pass? Not a big deal until your coworker realizes his data connection is crap and he checked in online.

There is always a challenge but you can make it through if you just take a breather, think it through, and move forward one step at a time.

Also, important life tip from Mammoth Jones there. Don't put Nair on your balls.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OK, put money onto my food card, so now I at least have food and accommodation security. Once I get these last few things sorted I will be on my way to being able to properly focus.

Deleted member 2913

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK, put money onto my food card, so now I at least have food and accommodation security. Once I get these last few things sorted I will be on my way to being able to properly focus.
Been lurking on both of your threads and following them, glad you're getting there and almost to a point this is all resolved.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Good luck! Glad to read things are getting sorted for you. Hope the rest of these 5 months goes smoothly and you are able to learn everything you want and have a good time while you are there. :D

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good luck! Glad to read things are getting sorted for you. Hope the rest of these 5 months goes smoothly and you are able to learn everything you want and have a good time while you are there. :D
Oh yeah, about that... Despite the offer saying it's until the 15th of July, in actuality my accommodation ends the 1st of July so it's two weeks shorter. The issue is that I already paid for a Greyhound and plane ticket on the assumed date of the 15th.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Oh yeah, about that... Despite the offer saying it's until the 15th of July, in actuality my accommodation ends the 1st of July so it's two weeks shorter. The issue is that I already paid for a Greyhound and plane ticket on the assumed date of the 15th.
Well the good news is you have a few months to figure out what to do with those two weeks. Make connections with other students and see if anyone is local and would be willing to host you for 2 weeks, or a week, or even a few days. Couch surf a bit, or save your money and book accommodations during that time.

You've got a bit to figure it out, just don't leave it to the last minute. :)

Actually maybe the first step is to call Greyhound/Airlines and see if you can move up your booking date and seeing if that's cost prohibitive. Being nearly 5 months out, hopefully wouldn't be too bad.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OK I got a bank account and set up WeChat Pay. Next on my list are getting a subway card and figuring out the system, along with setting up Taobao.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OK I got a bank account and set up WeChat Pay. Next on my list are getting a subway card and figuring out the system, along with setting up Taobao.

Subway card should have been one of the first things you got. Have you not been going anywhere or just buying one way tickets every time?

Taobao unless your chinese has already made vast improvements you'll probably just wanna ask chinese friends to order things for you. You've got your address saved in chinese in your phone right? Just c/p and send to a friend plus the name of whatever you want to order, they'll be able to find it cheaper and faster than you.

Have you done anything yet? Sanlitun? Some Hutongs? Temple of Heaven? So much to do in Beijing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Subway card should have been one of the first things you got. Have you not been going anywhere or just buying one way tickets every time?

Taobao unless your chinese has already made vast improvements you'll probably just wanna ask chinese friends to order things for you. You've got your address saved in chinese in your phone right? Just c/p and send to a friend plus the name of whatever you want to order, they'll be able to find it cheaper and faster than you.

Have you done anything yet? Sanlitun? Some Hutongs? Temple of Heaven? So much to do in Beijing.
I live on campus so I just haven't been going anywhere by transportation. I know my Chinese address but I guess I will wait if I can't figure it out.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
The subways are easy to use. They are very clearly labeled. Even a foreigner can figure it out quickly.

Oct 25, 2017
China

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well look at it this way -- one day this will be a funny story to tell your friends/family. Life lessons.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am doing much better than when I made that OP.

If you ever get the chance there's a French Canadian comedy movie called "1991" where the main character (from Canada) basically gets in a similar predicament to you (worse actually as he loses all his money basically his frist day) in Italy. He has to go to the Canadian consulate.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Tbf. though without Didi I wouldn't wanna take a taxi in Beijing again, especially as a foreigner even if you can speak Chinese. It seems after Didi became popular they still try to scam you even more now.

Is Didi even available in English? Luckily, I had a friend who helped me with the app. On my own, I would have been completely lost.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OK, I also just set up a Taobao account and well... I purchased a Sega Saturn game!!! (Some Neon Genesis Evangelion title as it was dirt cheap). Let's see how it goes.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Well, since now you're buying games I assume you're doing just fine, right, Oheao hahaha.

Hang in there dude. I've been there, all alone on a foreign country 20 hours away by flight from my home, feeling anxious about everything. It'll get better, so just keep a cool head and plow forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.