• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Kind of confused on a few things. Where are you supposed to be staying for the 5 months? You've said you're only allowed to stay in the dorms till tomorrow; is that not where you are supposed to stay since you are studying with the school?

In your OP you talk about a deposit - was this for the hotel, and that is why they made you leave? Are you funds just tied up for now?

Try to breathe; hopefully that woman will be able to help you tomorrow with the bank stuff as well as other things. Let her know your concerns and ask for your next steps in getting yourself situated. If she is your contact in Beijing make sure you can reliably get a hold of her when you need to for the future. I dunno where you are supposed to be living for 5 months, but make your goal for tomorrow to get that set up. You'll feel better once you have a spot you can call 'home' for now.

As for the language barrier, well that is why you went to China, to immerse yourself and learn. See if you can connect with people on campus, maybe other foreigners who are learning as well, or at least others who speak English. If people have been living there for a bit ask about day-to-day life stuff you need to know. Ask if you can tag-along while they do certain things. Like if you need to know where/how to get your laundry done, or in the case from tonight how to get a taxi or other transportation. Keep a notebook with you to jot down future questions as you think of them so you can ask later. Write down advice you are given plus phrases, words, etc.

Try to touch base with home. Work on getting that going as well. If friends/family need to download a specific app/program to talk with you, make sure to let them know as a backup in case your VPN isn't reliable. It might be good to set up regular dates/times they can call and check up on you. If you have another panic attack because you can't reach them, it may be comforting to know so-n-so will be calling you on Fridays at a certain time and it can be something to look forward to. If you have enough people, you can have someone call you every day till you are more settled. Even if it's just a quick hello instead of an extended chat, it can really lift your mood.

If you have a hobby that you do, set aside time for that as well. Some activity or routine that you used to do at home can make you feel like yourself and give you some comfort even if you're in a new place. As you get more settled you can try local activities to find something that interests you and can be fun and distracting.

Ultimately don't forget to breathe. It's okay to freak out in your current situation, but you have to take care of yourself and right the ship in the moment. Breathe and figure out your plan. When you are feeling right, consider writing down in that notebook I mentioned things you can do if you find yourself in this situation again - who to call and talk to, how to get and ask for help, where to go, etc.

You got this OP!

Oct 29, 2017
She said she will come to the university tomorrow to help me. I am allowed to stay at the dorm until tomorrow apparently. So, I am just going to sleep for a bit because this has been immensely draining.

You're going to be OK. Don't panic, you'll be fine.

It's just a bit of culture shock, no big deal.

The university where you're at most likely has an office for international students. Visit with them as soon as you can (provided they're open). Go online and find out where it is.

Secure cash. Don't try to go cashless. Once you have a decent amount of cash you won't feel so helpless.

Open up Google Translate, type in a few key phrases and save the translated text for you to pull up on your phone if you need it.

Communicate with your family via email, since you still have access to internet it seems.

Last edited:

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this your first time traveling alone? I assume so since you're so young.

I think you got in over your head traveling to a completely different country.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The university where you're at most likely has an office for international students. Visit with them as soon as you can (provided they're open). Go online and find out where it is.

Secure cash. Don't try to go cashless. Once you have a decent amount of cash you won't feel so helpless.

Open up Google Translate, type in a few key phrases and save the translated text for you to pull up on your phone if you need it.

Communicate with your family via email, since you still have access to internet it seems.

Get a pocket WiFi and Whatsapp and you won't have to worry about VPN or any shit just to talk to your family.

In Google Translate you can download offline language packs too.

In Google Maps, you can download offline maps for your local city.

These options are buried in the settings but they're in there.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Go the embassy is terrible advice".
Unless it's an emergency, they usually operate by appointment only.
They can help you get a new passport, not solve banking issues.
Seriously, what the hell are they going to do? He's not a political prisoner.
I've been to the US embassy there many times, btw, and if Canada is similar, the guard may not even let you by without an appointment.
It would be much easier to advise if we got the whole scope of your story OP and right now it seems like we entered in chapter 6 of a 12 chapter book.
Check the link that's been posted above.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Get a pocket WiFi and Whatsapp and you won't have to worry about VPN or any shit just to talk to your family.

Great suggestions!

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Have you ever been to China? Serious question. Doesn't sound like it from these answers.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eatin' Olives how would a pocket wifi sold in Beijing bypass the great firewall? Honest question, never seen one that advertises that feature.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah guys telling op anything Google related is not going to help. All Google services are blocked in China.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Im not sure, why the OP isnt using his CC to get cash from ATMs?

Besides that why doesnt he have lodging secured?

Why not just stay at a cheap hotel? Most accept CCs.

We told you you can't use credit card didn't we? What's the point of starting a China thread and not read the replies.

Before I had my chinese debit card, I used my CC (Mastercard) to get cash from ATMs all the time.

Vinnie20

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
We told you you can't use credit card didn't we? What's the point of starting a China thread and not read the replies.

You have to use debit card to get cash from bank ATM machine.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to China, but I did live in Japan for about three months. They're very different countries but I tried to keep things fairly universal and figured some of these might help. The most important thing is to not panic.
A lot of it seems not too applicable, that's why I asked. I'm no expert (when I was there I had a client doing everything for me). It's a unique place for travelers, hence the good advice given in the old thread and seemingly ignored.
Having multiple VPNs is one important thing, don't know if they told him that in the other thread :)
Yea but he can bing the equivalents and download them all lol
Get a nice version of the apk with some data mining in it!
Doesn't Baidu mobile website do translations?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Wait up a minute, are you saying you went to China to stay for five months without organising some sort of housing or figuring out where the internationals reside so you can at least talk to people? Sorry to say man, but you goofed. This is stuff you need to figure out way beforehand to avoid things like this happening.

Anyway, go to your Embassy and figure things out from there. They probably can't help you much, but they'll maybe be able to help find you some place to stay at least.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea but he can bing the equivalents and download them all lol
Wait up a minute, are you saying you went to China to stay for five months without organising some sort of housing or figuring out where the internationals reside so you can at least talk to people? Sorry to say man, but you goofed. This is stuff you need to figure out way beforehand to avoid things like this happening.

Anyway, go to your Embassy and figure things out from there.
What's the Embassy gonna do? Ship him back? They don't operate hotels or let you bunk in the back.
Edit: Chuck is on the case

Koo

Dec 10, 2017

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
What's the Embassy gonna do? Ship him back? They don't operate hotels or let you bunk in the back.
Edit: Chuck is on the case
Nah, but they'll perhaps be able to at least point him towards places where internationals hang out. It seems that this guy just left the country without figuring out anything, so to have fellow Canadians around him would probably already help.

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
"Go the embassy is terrible advice".
Unless it's an emergency, they usually operate by appointment only.
They can help you get a new passport, not solve banking issues.

Actually they will help you get emergency funds at the embassy which was what the OP was complaining about originally. It is all on their website:

https://travel.gc.ca/assistance/emergency-info/financial-assistance

And they would speak English to point the OP in the right direction.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What would the embassy do?
Whoever is recommending this clearly has never been to one.
They're surrounded by armed military personnel with high fences and are accessible only by appointment.
The guards will not let you in unless you've scheduled an appointment for a specific qualifying issue, at least for the US ones.
Actually they will help you get emergency funds at the embassy which was what the OP was complaining about originally. It is all on their website:

https://travel.gc.ca/assistance/emergency-info/financial-assistance

And they would speak English to point the OP in the right direction.
The OP seems to be having banking issues, not a financial emergency, I don't see how a consulate will give you money because you're not sure if your credit card isn't working. Maybe if you've had your money stolen and need to get home. But it's by appointment only, you don't just stroll into essentially a militarized facility. There's a lot of bureaucracy.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, but they'll perhaps be able to at least point him towards places where internationals hang out. It seems that this guy just left the country without figuring out anything, so to have fellow Canadians around him would probably already help.

Beijing has tons of foreigners. People in this thread and his previous one have mentioned places for foreigners. It's not the embassies job to tell people good places to meet people. Also they probably won't even let him inside, as mentioned, if Canadian embassy in china is similar to the US ones which are highly secure and for appointments or actual emergencies.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're surrounded by armed military personnel with high fences and are accessible only by appointment.
The guards will not let you in unless you've scheduled an appointment for a specific qualifying issue.
https://china.usembassy-china.org.cn/
See quote above. If you've been to an Embassy in China you'd understand. Hopping in to ask "where do other foreigners hang out" is like the least urgent thing I can possibly imagine.

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
He has money he is just not going to the ATM to withdraw it for some reason.

The guards will not let you in unless you've scheduled an appointment for a specific qualifying issue, at least for the US ones.

The OP seems to be having banking issues, not a financial emergency, I don't see how a consulate will give you money because you're not sure if your credit card isn't working. Maybe if you've had your money stolen and need to get home. But it's by appointment only, you don't just stroll into essentially a militarized facility.

In the OP it never mentions him not wanting to use an ATM. It literally says he has no money and can't pay a deposit while being unable to contact his family. Hence the embassy posts, but you can all act mightier than thou.

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
I still don't understand how you are staying in China for 5 months but have no idea what your living situation is going to be.

Maybe I missed that, but wtf is going on? You basically booked yourself 1 day at a hotel and that is it? Now you are just at the university and they are letting you stay there for a day.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In the OP it never mentions him not wanting to use an ATM. It literally says he has no money and can't pay a deposit while being unable to contact his family. Hence the embassy posts, but you can all act mightier than thou.

In the original thread there was advice for him to bring a debit card I believe. I'm assuming he did at least that much.

If he flew to china with no atm card, no cash, and one night of housing booked then 😂 I guess yea go pound on the embassy door.

Oct 25, 2017
China

Anyway, go to your Embassy and figure things out from there. They probably can't help you much, but they'll maybe be able to help find you some place to stay at least.

He'll be fine that woman will sort the most urgent stuff out for him tomorrow. I'm China Era too so all his worries are just heightened right now.

But when your showing off in advance about going to a foreign country and making YouTube videos before you've looked at what you need to do to open an account, secure accommodation or even have enough cash on hand for emergencies then he's just learned a valuable life lesson.

OP do you even have Wechat yet?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I totally missed that you're enrolled in university there. Yeah, just find the English speaking people in university and take it from there, I doubt that as an international you somehow enrolled into an all-Chinese university.

See quote above. If you've been to an Embassy in China you'd understand. Hopping in to ask "where do other foreigners hang out" is like the least urgent thing I can possibly imagine.
Hmm yeah, I have never been to an Embassy in China, that's true. You're probably right.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I can help you with basic language necessities if that's what you're lacking. Meeting English speakers in Taiwan pretty much involves going to bars/cafes with English names and music venues in any arts districts nearby, probably the same in Beijing. If you're in a crisis, head to Houhai or Nanluoguxiang and see if you can wave down a foreigner I guess. It sounds like you're getting stressed out by the language barrier but I promise you you can make it work.

Also: Download Didi. A taxi app is the most useful thing you can have. Also a good dictionary that is not Google Translate that you can show people on your phone. I only know one for Traditional Chinese though.

Last edited:

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
In the original thread there was advice for him to bring a debit card I believe. I'm assuming he did at least that much.

If he flew to china with no atm card, no cash, and one night of housing booked then 😂 I guess yea go pound on the embassy door.

But if I understood it correctly he took a CC with him, so he should be able to get some cash from ATMs.

Oct 25, 2017
China
But if I understood it correctly he took a CC with him, so he should be able to get some cash from ATMs.

And most ATMs (Bank of China) have English option menu. However, after that first withdrawal if he's not informed his bank he's travelling abroad it could get blocked. So I hope he's got Skype credit to call the customer service line to tell them to unblock the card. My cards still get randomly blocked, but I have a China bank account now so it's no big deal.

Mills

Oct 28, 2017
As others have said, your ATM card should work, many hotels have ATMs in English, and convenience stores as well. Get cash to eat and get around ASAP. You can go to many hotels and speak to the people there in English or they will find someone who speaks it reasonably. They can call you a reputable taxi and provide the destination to the driver ahead of time. If you don't have 'get around' mandarin at least then you really should find someone who is good in both languages to help you. Google translate will do in a pinch but you will have had to already downloaded the offline Chinese because you can't reach Google once you're in China without a good VPN.

Too late now but anytime you travel your first priority before you even get on a plane should be to secure lodging for your stay. If you can't secure help getting a place to stay then I'd strongly consider going home and coming back when you have things sorted out properly. I don't know what other languages you speak, but from what I've heard Mandarin is very difficult to learn. I wouldn't expect to 'pick up' a whole lot in weeks or even months.

jiā yóu (good luck, according to Google)!

Last edited:

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, this is really bizarre, but I am invested now and want to see what transpires and how this pans out.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
So, I'm in Beijing. However I am fucked. I know nobody here, my Chinese is limited and most people here don't speak English, my hotel time is up and I had to check out, I can't open a bank account because I didn't have an address, I can't pay the deposit because I don't have enough cash, my VPN doesn't work so I can't contact my family, I just want to go home now but I feel stranded. I don't know what to do!!

The things we do for Chun-Li...

Seriously though. You went to China by yourself on a limited vocabulary??? Download a English to chinese speaking app or something

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh there are a ton of expats in China with limited vocabulary. OP will be fine if they're going to be at a university there.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah the goold ol first time abroad alone i remember being anxious AF when i was visting my english ex as that was my first travel abroad alone.

Stress was gone when i finally saw her irl.

Seems like your situation is improving traveling alone can be quite stressfull but aslong as you keep control you will succeed.

And I am saying that as a person who haves the worst anxiety ever. Heck on the trip home i even got werd from a taxi driver lol.

She being my ex bow js a while different story but that does not matter.

Just relax and i would say stay if the situation improves. Traveling alone can be very empowering and increase your mental state as it proves to yourself you can do stuff alone without others. But even if you go home it still will be a learning experience.

In the end there is no wrong choice follow your feelings and make your own decision.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah the goold ol first time abroad alone i remember being anxious AF when i was visting my english ex as that was my first travel abroad alone.

Stress was gone when i finally saw her irl.

Seems like your situation is improving traveling alone can be quite stressfull but aslong as you keep control you will succeed.

And I am saying that as a person who haves the worst anxiety ever. Heck on the trip home i even got werd from a taxi driver lol.

She being my ex bow js a while different story but that does not matter.

Just relax and i would say stay if the situation improves. Traveling alone can be very empowering and increase your mental state as it proves to yourself you can do stuff alone without others. But even if you go home it still will be a learning experience.

In the end there is no wrong choice follow your feelings and make your own decision.

You got weed from the taxi driver or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.