• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2017
A lot of it seems not too applicable, that's why I asked. I'm no expert (when I was there I had a client doing everything for me). It's a unique place for travelers, hence the good advice given in the old thread and seemingly ignored.
Having multiple VPNs is one important thing, don't know if they told him that in the other thread :)

Get a nice version of the apk with some data mining in it!
Doesn't Baidu mobile website do translations?

For sure, it's a unique place in some respects like the firewall, which I stupidly didn't remember about haha. I meant well but yeah, I should leave the advice to people who HAVE been there lol

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My wife and I are planning a trip to China next year. This thread is...strange.

Is it really that hard to navigate due to language barrier? I can't imagine since every one in the service industry speaks money.

It can be difficult. If you stay at resorts and the like you'll be fine as major locations will have bilingual staff. But if you want to run to the corner store and grab something? Not so much.

It's difficult for a non Chinese person to get a cab simply because they assume you don't speak the language.

Also, many places only accept WePay which is a hassle for non locals.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I'm a fucking loser idiot who is having the worst day of his life. I just want to go home, I miss my family, I miss not feeling lost, I miss not having to worry about whether or not my credit card works.
hate to say it, but it doesn't seem like you are made for these types of trips.

Sounds like you are home sick after 5 days of being in a foreign country. Get a ticket home and leave if you can, you'll just feel miserable if you don't. Not everyone is made for this.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Depends on where you go. Tier 1? Incredibly modern and metropolis.

Western China? Incredibly poor.

I mean, I get it, there is a difference in a place in the east like shanghai and western cities like wulumuqi or Lanzhou, but a tourist won't have an issue in either one and I wouldn't call them incredibly poor. They are still relatively modern cities with good public transport, western restaurants, etc. Now if he heads off to a town or village out in Ningxia, yes, pretty damn poor. But you can find poor as hell places in the east too. It's not lat/long thing it's a city vs town thing mainly.
It can be difficult. If you stay at resorts and the like you'll be fine as major locations will have bilingual staff. But if you want to run to the corner store and grab something? Not so much.

It's difficult for a non Chinese person to get a cab simply because they assume you don't speak the language.

Also, many places only accept WePay which is a hassle for non locals.

Not knowing the language won't make it hard to buy some snacks at 7-11. It's really not difficult. And for taxis all you need to do is find the name of the place you wanna go in chinese and show it to the driver. Most websites have the address is both English and chinese, whether it's the website of the business you are going to or an aggregator like Smart Shanghai. All it takes is a little tiny bit of common sense, which I know is difficult for a lot of people on era lol .

You are right though some places don't take cash so much anymore.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
You need to take that money and buy yourself a flight home while that credit card is still shitting out cash. I don't know what nonsense you're trying to take on by setting up a bank account in a foreign country but shut that shit down now. You don't have a job and your vague plan of making a YouTube channel to chronicle this debacle doesn't inspire any confidence. Leave while you still have the means to do so.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
You were unprepared for a week let alone 5 months. Buy a ticket home now while you still can and learn from this. Try again in a few years with more prep

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You need to take that money and buy yourself a flight home while that credit card is still shitting out cash. I don't know what nonsense you're trying to take on by setting up a bank account in a foreign country but shut that shit down now. You don't have a job and your vague plan of making a YouTube channel to chronicle this debacle doesn't inspire any confidence. Leave while you still have the means to do so.

He needs a bank account to use chinese apps. That's actually probably the best part of his plan. I couldn't imagine surviving a half year in china without a mobile wallet.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's a weird comment. Even my dumb ass could handle 7-11

I definitely reccmomend checking your change. I don't want to propagate stereotypes but during my time in China I definitely had people try to shortchange me thinking I wouldn't notice

But it's a problem for foreigners all over the world

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The disparity in here between people actually familiar with living in China and people giving random generic travel advice is crazy.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I got sad after learning about all the digital payment stuff in the mainland while I was in Hong Kong last year. The beauty of using cash is haggling, and now that art is dying.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I definitely reccmomend checking your change. I don't want to propagate stereotypes but during my time in China I definitely had people try to shortchange me thinking I wouldn't notice

This is basically what I meant. You can throw money at someone and expect them to give you your change back all day. They may or they may not.

If you don't want to deal with that then it will be more difficult.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're fucked at a Meiija. :P
As long as there aren't any Xiaojie there.

You are nuts. I haven't used cash in like a year, besides for gambling at mahjong.
I don't know what either of these mean

Yeah, always. But when it's really small I just don't care that much.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Took me 2 days to be familiar with China and be independent enough to travel to various cities.

OP went unprepared. You always get extra cash, all the apps, screenshots, photos, written addresses to show taxi drivers, and an entire itinerary prepared.

OP, you a quitter? Then go home. You a fighter and here for your career or general growth? Get your shit together and survive. If you're there to work, then demand assistance while you sort your shit out.

Grow up and come back home by July.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
My dude, you should definitely chill. Some of this is culture shock and you're probably on your own in a foreign place for the first time in your life. It seems like you're connected to this school in China through your school back in Canada - make the most of that connection. Try to calm down and look at what you can do to make your situation better. This school is not going to let you just stay on the street and starve. You'll have some place to stay, food to eat, etc. It will be okay.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The disparity in here between people actually familiar with living in China and people giving random generic travel advice is crazy.

Welcome to every thread on era about china.
One group of dummies who think Pooh bear will get you thrown in a gulag vs people trying to tell you that no one gives a fuck about you and you can live your life like anywhere else in the world. It's maddening.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Life comes at you pretty fast.

Sort it out my guy, you'll make it. Though I must say this might be the greatest sequel thread ever.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I'll never understand people that freak out this easily.

I'd fully expect culture shock and some struggles no matter where I go when traveling. No reason to panic unless you got arrested randomly or something, haha.

Get some rest and meet with this woman. There are members here that are in China too, they could probably help out.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really wondering now how much homework OP did before flying over to pretty much "live there" for a good amount of time.

Oct 27, 2017
All phones can have Google Translate and you can download the translation stuff to use offline. There's very little reason you can't communicate.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Every vendor in china has a qr code on their stall. If they haggled before digital currency they still will now.
I guess I must have been unlucky then. I remember haggling for groceries in a wet market in Shenzhen many years ago. No such luck this time.

I'm not saying that I don't believe you though, because frankly even I think my anecdotal experience is an outlier compared to what the norm should be.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Heh, something similiar happened to an old classmate of mine years ago. Ended up in Qingdao with no money or contacts somehow. He wandered around and eventually happened to run into a kungfu teacher he knew from Ohio lol. Got himself re-situated and ended up just studying praying mantis kungfu for awhile :-P

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
@OP: The moment your VPN works or you get proper access through someone else, please download Astrill. ExpressVPN is shit and will only cause you trouble. In case you still have lodging problems Airbnb should still work in China if I'm not mistaken.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
1203071716ce09848886e65789.gif

Looks like OP took the b route....Honestly, the stuff you're facing now is just part of growing up and it's either gonna make or break you, judging from your yt videos you don't seem super confident in yourself, so, either stop and think for a second, or get a ticket home. I've been in situations where I almost ended up on the street in a foreign country with no help from my family, and trust me, panicking is the last thing you want to do. Breathe, listen to advice from the users that visited China, go step by step, you'll get there eventually....or as said, just get a ticket and head home, but that's just giving up.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
The best translation app is by Microsoft. It has offline mode, has text to speech features, and has all the common phrases someone will use.

Forget all Google apps that require internet to work.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
OP, relax. Once you get used to it, the 5 months will fly right by, and when it's time to leave, you'll feel like it went by too quickly.

Reach out to other expats and start building your circle of friends. Slowly branch out and maybe try making some local friends that can speak English.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
OP, make sure you get a square meal and stay hydrated. You'd be surprised how much it can center you, especially after the ordeal of long-distance travel.

So... exactly like California and NYC with, say, Kansas and Arkansas.

No, there's a whole tier of poverty below the minimum you could experience in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.