• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018

But honestly, I only went to China for 2 weeks and I had a similar feeling of being lost. Also, I am currently in the process of having a nervous breakdown for different reasons, so I know how you feel. Calm down, remember you're not in a remote jungle somewhere, you'll be ok.

Gomography

Alt-account.
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
Yes, I'm a fucking loser idiot who is having the worst day of his life. I just want to go home, I miss my family, I miss not feeling lost, I miss not having to worry about whether or not my credit card works.
What's the worst thing that could happen? Just do things one step at a time. You have been given an opportunity, don't waste it.

Gomography

Alt-account.
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
The disparity in here between people actually familiar with living in China and people giving random generic travel advice is crazy.
It's super easy to travel in China. I mean, I accidentally ended up getting an ear cleaning when looking for an opium cellar at night but just getting around is simple.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I can't solve all of your problems, but if you want to make sure your credit card works, just call the number at the back of your card. If you're worried about making international calls, try Skype.

Breathe. You'll be fine.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
So... exactly like California and NYC with, say, Kansas and Arkansas.

When people say poverty in reference to Western China they don't mean "there aren't any green jobs and the local business is a Wal-Mart." They mean that significant portions of China are still living off of subsistence farming with no productive surplus whatsoever. The comparison should be to Kansas in the 1880s.

Mar 26, 2018
One day and you miss your family. Give it enough time and you may not want to go back. Many Chinese would be helpful. Just make friends.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like my "Stuck in Japan" thread. It'll get better. Just be glad you aren't shitting your pants from food poisonimg in S. Korea.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I see your situation has stabilized, happy to hear that. I've been there even if i was a bit more prepared than you so i feel you.
The important thing in these cases is to rest for a bit and let another trusted person do the reasoning because they are probably more prepared/relaxed/clearminded than you, posting on Era imho wasn't the wisest choice since there's all kind of people that just come by to make snarky comments or are just straight up not useful which is the last thing you want to see in these kind of situations.

Deleted member 12379

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People who know, are there any active expat forums that OP could join for any questions he might have? Maybe nowadays this is all through reddit, but back when I was in SK, I frequented a forum where a lot of common questions were asked: Where do I...How do I....How do you say...What's the best....etc. Definitely helped me out my first few months.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People who know, are there any active expat forums that OP could join for any questions he might have? Maybe nowadays this is all through reddit, but back when I was in SK, I frequented a forum where a lot of common questions were asked: Where do I...How do I....How do you say...What's the best....etc. Definitely helped me out my first few months.

Lots of wechat groups. He just needs to use Facebook or reddit to find them. But he doesn't have a vpn that works. So good luck with that.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Sounds like the OP had an intermediary that gave them the impression that someone in China was waiting for them and was going to help them figure this all out.

If I had to guess, the person waiting in China did not know what was expected of them, and now we are here.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
What the hell is even happening here? You've been there less than a week and you didn't plan any of this out and now you want to go home because you miss your family? Lol.

And how well off are you that you can just go to China for 5 months, seemingly on a whim, then decide a week later, "Nah I'll just go home."

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Lots of wechat groups. He just needs to use Facebook or reddit to find them. But he doesn't have a vpn that works. So good luck with that.

Even without a VPN he could let someone get one from the US like Astrill. Just call home, ask a friend etc.

Sounds like the OP had an intermediary that gave them the impression that someone in China was waiting for them and was going to help them figure this all out.

To be fair there are a lot of those companies in China. They want a native english speaker, promise them "great accomodation and salary, work visa etc." then tell them "please first come with an internship visa" and then when you arrive you get some shithole to live in and the internship visa will stay an internship visa.

Though it seems the OP has some university course there.

Besides all that, there shouldnt be a problem to actually find a good accomodation with a foreign CC there.

Last edited:

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd imagine early 20s, but whatever the case, it's really all about prep work and expectations relative to what he was going to do. Yes, China is definitely a different beast than other major Asian countries to travel to, but those principles remain the same.

I do sorta know where he's coming from though. First time I visited Japan completely alone, I still got anxious as hell for the first several hours despite pretty much being all set. That said, that's an entirely different situation compared to "I'm going to live in a country with a vastly different communication/finance infrastructure for 5 months".

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I'd imagine early 20s, but whatever the case, it's really all about prep work and expectations relative to what he was going to do. Yes, China is definitely a different beast than other major Asian countries to travel to, but those principles remain the same.

I do sorta know where he's coming from though. First time I visited Japan completely alone, I still got anxious as hell for the first several hours despite pretty much being all set. That said, that's an entirely different situation compared to "I'm going to live in a country with a vastly different communication/finance infrastructure for 5 months".

I went to Japan at 18 in the early 00s, prior to smart phones and international cell phones, well before the prevalence of international ATMs/etc. I had to prep SO much. I just don't know why dude didn't even do the basic minimum-- like call his credit card/debit card carrier.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand people who just decide to go to a foreign country with literally no plan on how they're gonna live or whatever they're doing, but also not even knowing the language.

Maybe it's me but there's no way in hell I'd just move to a place I have no idea about without a legit job and a place to live. I just don't get it.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand people who just decide to go to a foreign country with literally no plan on how they're gonna live or whatever they're doing, but also not even knowing the language.

Maybe it's me but there's no way in hell I'd just move to a place I have no idea about without a legit job and a place to live. I just don't get it.
I feel the same way. Just makes me anxious thinking about OP.

You can do it buddy, I'm rooting for you!

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You don't understand it because doing so without making proper preparations is really fucking dumb.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

The lack of preparation for a job I get, he's there to study if I'm not mistaken, for which you do not necessarily need a job right out of the gate.

However, not finding long-term accommodation before going is just a very unwise thing to do.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe someone would move to a foreign country with low English literacy and apparently do very little to no research.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

He's there on a school exchange program, speaks a little bit of the language, and did have a plan with having a contact in Beijing. Sometimes adjusting to another culture can be more difficult than you expect (though he mentioned doing a previous one in France). I travelled a lot when I was younger and never really with a plan, but I did have a more adventurous spirit back then i'd guess i was a bit more worldly at that age than he is, and while I never felt scared, I certainly felt nervous for the first for the few days until you kind of get comfortable with the basics and can build a little bit of a routine or find some people that can assist you or speak your language.

Oheao will be fine, he's got money, a place to stay, and his family knows where he is. He's safe, he just needs a bit of support. He can get some advice from us, start to learn some basics while there, and start to take care of what he needs. He'll be alright.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Read the thread. You'll be fine.

I think your anxiety is coming from lack of support systems. This is not uncommon with long term travel in faraway and foreign places.

Traveling alone is a rather courageous thing. Not many people do that, so don't be so hard on yourself.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Are we talking Sichuan are even further West? Because there's still Chengdu, Xi'an and Chongqing where rural people mass migrate to looking for jobs. Some even go further East.

But yes, the discrepancy between the rich and poor is massive.

We can go further west than Chengdu. Villages in the Huanglong mountains, Tibetan plateau, etc are just incredibly starkly poor. Communal living, etc. When I was last there they were just getting power to a few places via solar panels everywhere. Newly paved roads over dirt infrastructure, etc.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
We can go further west than Chengdu. Villages in the Huanglong mountains, Tibetan plateau, etc are just incredibly starkly poor. Communal living, etc. When I was last there they were just getting power to a few places via solar panels everywhere. Newly paved roads over dirt infrastructure, etc.
To be fair, Beijing in the 60s and 70s was absolutely dire. I remember an anecdote where they explained homes didn't have plumbing or electricity and relied on coal and thick clothing to stay warm during the winter. It's amazing what a transition they made in 50 years time.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Banks open in 20 minutes from the time of this post, I hope OP is queuing outside right now with all required documentation or he'll be in for a very long wait, counter service at banks here is terrible.

morerato

Banned
Feb 21, 2019
This honestly has got to be the most hilarious thing I've read all day - scratch that - all week. OP would get lost at Chinatown, NYC.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Any updates about lodging? Why did you only have one more day left at the campus?

Status
Not open for further replies.