• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
There's a difference between how old you are and how old you act.
Come on, man. He's a young, inexperienced traveler very far from home. He can't speak the language either. And the resources he was supposed to meet were not available where and when they said they would be.

Many would panic in that situation.

We're too merciless to our fellow posters here sometimes.

morerato

Banned
Feb 21, 2019
Come on, man. He's a young, inexperienced traveler very far from home. He can't speak the language either. And the resources he was supposed to meet were not available where and when they said they would be.

Had people been more rightfully merciless before he took this adventure (which I'm sure is one OP won't forget) maybe he could have prevented a bit of this clusterfuck. We all know who we are dealing with.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Had people been more rightfully merciless before he took this adventure (which I'm sure is one OP won't forget) maybe he could have prevented a bit of this clusterfuck. We all know who we are dealing with.
Reading the thread, he seems to have done his due diligence, but his resource flaked on him somehow.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oheao definitely deserves to catch some shit over this....but not while he's having a panick attack in a foreign country.

Bust his balls in his next thread.

///PATRIOT

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WTF. Why wouldn't an US o Canadian Embassy help and orient their citizens? Hello! Front desk, reception!

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to catch up on this...

So, the OP is in China for college?

Who is he supposed to be meeting up with? A classmate? A friend?

Did he just hop on a plane to China on a whim to test it out?

Was he staying at dorm or a hotel?

Did he run out of money without budgeting a ticket back home? How long was he planning on staying in China in the first place?

I can't figure out the situation here.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Sounds college aged.

People are being too hard on the guy. Having no support systems thousands of mile away can be very anxiety provoking.

Yep and yep. Good post e.

You'll be fine OP. Just relax and take small steps toward your goals. Set out to do one thing and get it done, then move onto the next thing you need to do.

As others have said, you're just getting those first day jitters that comes with this sort of travel. I remember the time I was stuck in Santa Rosa, CA and hitched to LA. Got out of the car and was like "fuck". Went to the library, found a couchsurfing couple with an open bed and made my way to their place to crash. Next day hitched to Kingman, AZ where I stayed at a homeless shelter for 3 days. I was gonna hitch out to Vegas but with there being a prison in Kingman it's hard to hitch so I had to hike a few miles out of town before getting a ride.

Vegas was pretty cool. I got a job at a hostel where I would paint for room and some food. After Vegas I hitched a ride back home, Cincinnati. Took a few days but the guy I was riding with paid for everything since I was out of money. Stayed in hotels and got to eat 3 squares a day.

Everything will work out, just go with it.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to catch up on this...

So, the OP is in China for college?

Who is he supposed to be meeting up with? A classmate? A friend?

Did he just hop on a plane to China on a whim to test it out?

Was he staying at dorm or a hotel?

Did he run out of money without budgeting a ticket back home? How long was he planning on staying in China in the first place?

I can't figure out the situation here.
From my understanding based on reading the two threads about this (and anyone can feel free to correct me):

OP got some death benefits from his father's suicide a few years back and wanted to spend it in a meaningful way. Hence, he decided to use some of that to learn Chinese in a program that's actually based in China. I believe the plan was someone whom he knew from a Canadian university was supposed to help him settled out once he got there after a few days in the hotel he booked initially.

For some reason, his contact did not rendezvous with him for anything else apart from meeting with him at the airport when he landed and he pretty much got caught off guard by not knowing what else he was supposed to do for himself.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm making progress! I paid the deposit, got my hospital insurance and WiFi. Now I need to pay for the full residence balance, register for my classes and open a bank account.

morerato

Banned
Feb 21, 2019
User Banned (permanent): trolling
I'm making progress! I paid the deposit, got my hospital insurance and WiFi. Now I need to pay for the full residence balance, register for my classes and open a bank account.
Be careful with the people, the food, the air, the transportation, the language, purchases and housing.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Oheao, shame on you for ditching the Japanese OT.

I forgive you tho, you're on a new path. Hang in there and don't give up. It's gonna be alright (Y)

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I can totally understand how working through all the initial stuff can be. I remember when I took a vacation to Japan I was pretty afraid of getting lost on the trains but it was really easy once you get it figured out. Definitely got some jitters the first day. Guessing you're working there so you needed the bank account and a more permanent spot than a rental. Pretty complex without help! Keep trucking along, hope you find someone that knows a bit of english.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
You'll be alright OP. Just do your best not to get overwhelmed.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah oheao, for all the ball busting going on just remember you already took the hardest step. You got here. Everything else is just flavour

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Thanks for putting this here.

Mar 29, 2018
From my understanding based on reading the two threads about this (and anyone can feel free to correct me):

OP got some death benefits from his father's suicide a few years back and wanted to spend it in a meaningful way. Hence, he decided to use some of that to learn Chinese in a program that's actually based in China. I believe the plan was someone whom he knew from a Canadian university was supposed to help him settled out once he got there after a few days in the hotel he booked initially.

For some reason, his contact did not rendezvous with him for anything else apart from meeting with him at the airport when he landed and he pretty much got caught off guard by not knowing what else he was supposed to do for himself.
Good god all of this would have been useful to know in the op

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Good god all of this would have been useful to know in the op

Yeah, I think that should have been in the OP. People assumed that he had no plan to set up an account and just went there and realized he needed money. Somebody was supposed to help him set up a bank account, but once they didn't show up he was confused about what to do.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WTF. Why wouldn't an US o Canadian Embassy help and orient their citizens? Hello! Front desk, reception!

Adults are not babies and they have better things to do then to teach someone how to live. Yes he is anxious (because he is not prepared at all), but he still just needs to breath and tackle things step by step. Everyone is a bit different when it comes to traveling alone. I did that a few times now and two years ago I went a few to Japan and Thailand and everything by my own just with some English. First day was stressful in Japan and just different, but I was prepared for everything and everything else was just...learning how things work there. I hate to ask people questions, but I was alone 8000km away from home so I had no choice and just did it and even though I talked with people not knowing English it worked out just fine.

An Embassy is just not responsible for people being unprepared and getting anxious.

Great! Give it a few days and you will laugh about this thread yourself. :) Enjoy your time.

Mar 29, 2018
Yeah, I think that should have been in the OP. People assumed that he had no plan to set up an account and just went there and realized he needed money. Somebody was supposed to help him set up a bank account, but once they didn't show up he was confused about what to do.
In OPs defence it sounded like they were at full panic stations so probably weren't thinking too carefully about what went into the OP.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OK, so I was not able to pay for accommodation or register for my classes yesterday. I was extremely stressed out about that at first as my offer of admission said I'd forfeit my right to be here if I didn't register by the end of the day, but I managed to talk to administration and they said it was fine for me to wait until Monday to pay.

Oct 27, 2017
OK, so I was not able to pay for accommodation or register for my classes yesterday. I was extremely stressed out about that at first as my offer of admission said I'd forfeit my right to be here if I didn't register by the end of the day, but I managed to talk to administration and they said it was fine for me to wait until Monday to pay.

Why couldn't you pay?

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome to hear things are getting better. Good on you for dealing with it all.

Hope you're able to enjoy the weekend!

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
As someone that moved to a different country on my own for school (Kenya to USA) at 18 I can feel your pain. Not exactly the same situation but the last thing you should do is panic. I'm assuming you have a cellphone with siri or Google. That can get you basic language sets to order a taxi.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can understand people criticizing me and telling me that I was unprepared for all of this, because it was true. However, the timing was pretty poor for that as I was so fragile that I really could barely function as-is. To be honest, the hurdle is not over yet, I still have a few things I need to sort out, but at least until Monday I should have some relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.