• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Some background about me before I just word vomit everywhere. Male, 26, I work in a school, I have autism.

So, basically, i'm having more anxiety than usual lately. Last month or so. I find myself freaking out and I don't know why, but i'm finding it very difficult to compose myself. I've dealt with anxiety my whole life, but in my adult years am getting better at controlling it. But I am finding myself getting really wound up and don't know how to calm myself down. I don't know what i'm getting worked up at, or why, but I think knowing i'm getting wound up is winding me up even more. I just needed to talk really, but I don't know who to. Even if I were to talk, I don't really know what to talk about because I don't know what's causing it. Spoke to my sister and she listened, and advised me to chat somewhere. And where better than Era? Life here is great. Going to avoid the doctors as they'll give me medicine or something, I don't need that. I'm guessing it's just a phase, but yeah.

Makes no sense I know, but hey.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Never underestimate therapy.
If you're able to, I'd recommend going.
Until then, just take time out for yourself and relax.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
It might have a cause but it might just a biological mechanism that is out of whack. Panic Attacks for example sometimes have no reason whatsoever and are just bug in your brain where it misinterprets it's input and thinks it doesn't have enough air.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Doctors don't just medicate and say "good luck."

Go find a therapist, they can help a lot more than us schlubs.

Edit: How's your workout routine? Regular exercise can help a variety of mental issues related to stress.

ailaeshiz

Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
I'm suffering from the same thing. I'm 32 and am constantly overwhelmed by the concept of mortality. I wish I knew how other people cope with the fact that everyone you know and love will some day be dead

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Medicine can really, really help man. I wouldn't blanket state that you shouldn't keep that avenue open from the outset or that it's just a phase you have to outlast. Especially if it's been something you've had to fight your whole life.

I used to have some huge anxiety issues that took a huge toll on me. They still exist but my doctors prescribed me Setraline and then Paroxetine and it really helps take the edge off. Of course, everyone is different which is why you should talk to one!

faint

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing wrong with being prescribed a drug and taking it for a specific issue.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Doctors don't just medicate and say "good luck."

Go find a therapist, they can help a lot more than us schlubs.

Edit: How's your workout routine? Regular exercise can help a variety of mental issues related to stress.

8:30 - 4:30, I love my job. It's stressful but incredibly rewarding. I am exercising, I play golf multiple times and gym at least once a week, however, exercise lately my heart rate has spiralled and I can't calm myself down, I don't know why. I was never like this before.

How clean are you living lately? Exercise, sleep, diet, not drinking?

I exercise daily, I walk a LOT at work, always on my feet and moving. I sleep 7 and a half hours minimum if not more, i'm a good sleeper. Diet is good, get near my 5 a day if not hit it, i've lost over 15 pounds this summer. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs and never even touched any before.

Medicine can really, really help man. I wouldn't blanket state that you shouldn't keep that avenue open from the outset or that it's just a phase you have to outlast. Especially if it's been something you've had to fight your whole life.

I used to have some huge anxiety issues that took a huge toll on me. They still exist but my doctors prescribed me Setraline and then Paroxetine and it really helps take the edge off. Of course, everyone is different which is why you should talk to one!

There's nothing wrong with being prescribed a drug and taking it for a specific issue.

You're both right, it isn't anything to be looked down upon at all and if you use medication that's absolutely your right. But, I do not need medication. I've gotten this far without it and don't need to use it. I also work with children so would not want to be medicated due to that reason.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
But, I do not need medication. I've gotten this far without it and don't need to use it.

This comes across as a self-fulfilling prophecy. Don't dismiss it just because you've come this far without it, I know you wrote that it's nothing to be looked down upon for but that really is true. You said yourself that you're having more anxiety than usual, medication might help. It might not! But you don't know until you try.

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
I feel you OP. I had the same experience this year.

I've just recently, like this week, started seeking help. I saw my GP on Monday, she started me on a Zoloft prescription, and gave me a list of counselors she'd recommend. I'll be setting up an appointment with one of them next week.

As much as I like weed as a recreational substance, I don't recommend self-medicating with it like that poster suggested. It often made my anxiety worse if I smoked while feeling anxious.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Counselling really helps, and this is coming from someone who suffers from anxiety a lot. I have had many occasions in my life where I just felt stressed and usually felt uncomfortable without an apparent reason. Pinpointing the trigger is much more difficult than what most people would think. It's why talking with a counsellor is so helpful. They know how to approach situation like yours.

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't an end all solution but I find writing is super helpful. I keep a journaling app on my phone/computer/tablet (Day One) and when I begin to have bad anxiety I'll open it up and just start writing out thoughts: how am i feeling, what may have caused it, why would i feel this way, is it going to be bad/ok, etc.

Sometimes just expelling the thoughts out of your head can help bring a sense of calm because you're seeing the issue is, hopefully, nothing

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I work with children mate. Like, seriously.
I'm not saying go to work high. You're not going to be high the next day if you smoked the night before.

Like I said, it was a serious suggestion. My wife uses marijuana for anxiety, and it works very well for her. That doesn't mean she's a stoner zombie all day.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Hey Dave, 33 year old recently diagnosed with OCD here, I don't know if I can really add anything other than saying I know how you feel. Anxiety can be really overwhelming. I tried some one on one therapy a few years back and that helped. I stopped because it felt like my therapist weren't really progressing anymore. It felt like sessions were essentially "So you don't drive and have no romance in your life. Yeah, your life kinda sucks."

Taking the vitamin/herbal supplement rhodiola helps me from getting too dreary. I find listening to music and doing stuff I enjoy (like video games, anime) really helps

I'm going in for a group therapy/class next week, I'll get back to you on that. Best of luck to both of us!

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
Hi dave,
First of all go to a therapist...

I've been dealing with serious anxiety for the past 3-4 years and I've been doing some research on it and I'm feeling better now by taking my meds and staying away from:
  • Alcohol
  • Stress
  • Processed foods and fast food
  • Gluten
  • Histamine rich food
  • Heavy exercise
Eat flavonoid rich vegetables like apples, onions ( quercetin ), broccoli ( Luteolin ) and olive oil etc.
Sleep well, at least 8 hours a day.

And by the way you said you have autism, do you have allergies or urticeria? If so I strongly advise you to go to a immunologist and tell the doc about the anxiety and the symptoms after exercising.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Been dealing with anxiety my whole life and it had gotten very, very bad these past two years. Therapy is definitely helping, as I'm learning a lot of cognitive therapy tools to help cope with anxiety and the panic attacks. Finding a therapist/social worker that clicks for you and start putting some work in. It can be slow going, especially at first but it's something you need to face head on and be open for changing various aspects of your life.

Medication can help and certainly something to look into, however one of the big mistakes I made over the years was just thinking taking a pill would solve this issue and while it can certainly be an important tool in your recovery, I used it as a crutch for far too long and I ended up making things worse.

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
Hi dave,
First of all go to a therapist...

I've been dealing with serious anxiety for the past 3-4 years and I've been doing some research on it and I'm feeling better now by taking my meds and staying away from:
  • Alcohol
  • Stress
  • Processed foods and fast food
  • Gluten
  • Histamine rich food
  • Heavy exercise
Eat flavonoid rich vegetables like apples, onions ( quercetin ), broccoli ( Luteolin ) and olive oil etc.
Sleep well, at least 8 hours a day.

And by the way you said you have autism, do you have allergies or urticeria? If so I strongly advise you to go to a immunologist and tell the doc about the anxiety and the symptoms after exercising.

How on earth do you stay away from stress? Work is stress, I gotta work! No allergies but don't know what urticaria is...I've had open heart surgery, and I have an irregular heartbeat. I'm fine but that is faster than normal and likely doesn't help when getting anxious.

faint

Oct 27, 2017
You're both right, it isn't anything to be looked down upon at all and if you use medication that's absolutely your right. But, I do not need medication. I've gotten this far without it and don't need to use it. I also work with children so would not want to be medicated due to that reason.

Sorry that I misinterpreted your OP the wrong way as I did read it as you seeing meds as something looked down on. I work with kids myself (although indirectly, as I work at a school but don't teach) and take anxiety medication on a daily basis. For me, I need it. I've tried months of going without it with the help of doctors and ultimately it just didn't work for me. But I respect your decision and motivation to tackle this naturally. It's not easy.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel you on the stress OP, as I do have the luxury to limit my own stress levels due to my lax financial situation, which does give me an advantage over folks who have to work.

The only advice I can offer is getting a job that limits your stress as much as possible, and at any cost. What do you do for work Dave?

OP
OP
Dave

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
I feel you on the stress OP, as I do have the luxury to limit my own stress levels due to my lax financial situation, which does give me an advantage over folks who have to work.

The only advice I can offer is getting a job that limits your stress as much as possible, and at any cost. What do you do for work Dave?

Teach, haha.

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
How on earth do you stay away from stress? Work is stress, I gotta work! No allergies but don't know what urticaria is...I've had open heart surgery, and I have an irregular heartbeat. I'm fine but that is faster than normal and likely doesn't help when getting anxious.
Yeah, you are right about stress, but at least try to control it using stuff like meditation, it really helps. And you can try the things I said about histamine, processed foods, sleep etc. and see if they work.

Oct 27, 2017

Oh boy, that's a pretty stressful work environment, correct?

I'll also say stay open minded about medication, even something simple like Inderal/propanolol that can work for situational anxiety. And keep in mind that SSRI's (antidepressants) merely increase a naturally occurring chemical in your brain, so I do hope if things become worse you'll give a medication a shot.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to hear that Dave. I'm actually in the process of getting over mine. I understand how hard it is trust me. I had a lot of little worries on my mind and had a panic attack 3 weeks ago. The attack shook me and I've never. been the same since.

I would wake up in the morning freaking out for no damn reason. Didn't want to shave, shower, clean, or anything. And just like you Ithere was noyhing really stressing me that I knew about. Had to force myself out of the house for my wife's birthday and at the resteraunt I starting getting this random anxiety again for no reason. I had to run outside and do some exercise breathing.

It's been some of the hardest days of my life the last couple weeks, but I feel like I'm 90% better. Still feel like it's hard for me to focus with my eyes. But the more I think about it the worse my vision gets.

I understand exactly how you feel. You have to stay mentally strong and keep your mind busy. And always think positive

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to piggyback onto this topic, on the 'therapy really helps thing'.

I've had CBT for PTSD over the last month or so, and it's made my PTSD much worse, to the point where I now need medication.

My question is, is it because of the therapy, or the therapist? They have suggested I stop CBT and try EMDR, but I must confess I am a little concerned that it'll just make things worse again.

GNTsquid

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
Cant really say anything that hasnt been said already, but a therapist could be a big help, as mine has been.

I think its worth at least trying one session with a therapist. And if you do go that route make sure you ask them some questions before hand and see if they specialize in dealing with people that have the same issues as you (anxiety, anger, depression, etc)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freudian-sip/201102/how-find-the-best-therapist-you Especially pay attention to #6 on the list. Although I didnt ask my therapist if she's ever been in therapy herself. That seems a little weird to me. You want someone you can trust and feel comfortable telling your deepest darkest secrets too short of anything illegal. You should be completely comfortable with them.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Hi, im not sure if you its safe to give this thread a bump, but i guess i will.

Im dealing with a really hard breakup situation (i will explain if you guys ask me), but im feel anxiety like crazy. When im at my house, suddenly i feel liek crying or i start breathing heavily from nowhere. I feel weird and i don't know why.

Its anxiety or i feel something else?