• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
I love to watch comedy from the silent era up to the 1960s. I like just about everything, except for standup comedy.

Silent greats: Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Marbel Normand
Groups acts: Abbott and Costello, The Three Stooges, Laurel and Hardy, The Marx Brothers, Our Gang
Animation: Looney Tunes, Mickey Mouse and friends, Tom and Jerry, Felix the Cat, Popeye the Sailor
Sitcoms: I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, Our Miss Brooks, The Dick Van Dyke Show

There's much, much more. What's your opinion on old comedy like this? I know there are several valid complaints such as the stereotyping from the era.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I do like the silent slapstick stuff, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd we're not only comedians, they performed highly risky stunts. Older sitcoms, not sure those aged well.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
The Dick Van Dyke Show is really good. The episodes about Richie's birth are classics.

Oct 27, 2017
The only films I regularly watch and, to be honest, even really enjoy from that era (more 60s-70s tbf) are the Pink Panther films.

A Shot in the Dark is still one of the funniest movies ever, and almost all of the sequels have redeeming scenes that never fail to make me laugh.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I Love Lucy and The Dick Van Dyke show are two shows that I love watching. There are more from that era that I want to check out but haven't yet. Something about the humor just hits me.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The Three Stooges still make me laugh, even when I know whats coming. And I feel like Chaplin is timeless, always funny. But Ive watched two full Marx Bros movies and never cracked a smile.

And Looney Tunes? Never seen anything top Bob McKimson /Chuck Jones.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I love to watch comedy from the silent era up to the 1960s. I like just about everything, except for standup comedy.

Silent greats: Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Marbel Normand
Groups acts: Abbott and Costello, The Three Stooges, Laurel and Hardy, The Marx Brothers, Our Gang
Animation: Looney Tunes, Mickey Mouse and friends, Tom and Jerry, Felix the Cat, Popeye the Sailor
Sitcoms: I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, Our Miss Brooks, The Dick Van Dyke Show

There's much, much more. What's your opinion on old comedy like this? I know there are several valid complaints such as the stereotyping from the era.

Of those I like Charlie Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy, The Marx Brothers,, Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Felix the Cat & Popeye the Sailor (especially the early Fleischer stuff).

Do you watch The Phil Silvers Show, Dads Army & Betty Boop? I enjoy those too. The Likely Lads is great too, but only ten eps remain.

OP
OP

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Of those I like Charlie Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy, The Marx Brothers,, Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Felix the Cat & Popeye the Sailor (especially the early Fleischer stuff).

Do you watch The Phil Silvers Show, Dads Army & Betty Boop? I enjoy those too.
I've watched some Betty Boop. Fleischer Studios was great. I've heard of The Phil Silvers Show, but never heard of Dad's Army.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Get Smart, outside some awful yellowface episodes, is incredible. The movie is not like the show at all, so don't let that confuse you.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
American screen comedy was best before WWII. Since then, it has suffered from a gradual (if not precisely linear) decline.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The oldest TV comedy I still enjoy is Get Smart (mid to late 60s)
but for movies things like Stalag 17, and any of the Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis movies.
Some of Lewis' early solo movies are decent like The Geisha Boy and the one where he's training to be a cop (edit: The Delicate Delinquent).

Dr Strangelove, Mr Roberts, It's a Mad, Mad World, Bedtime Story (later remade as Dirty Rotten Scoundrels).

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bringing Up Baby is still one of the funniest movies ever created.

giphy.gif

Check it out if you haven't.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll always be a fan of Bob Hope's "My Favorite Brunette", it feels a bit like Steve Martin's "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" as well.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Get Smart, outside some awful yellowface episodes, is incredible. The movie is not like the show at all, so don't let that confuse you.
I used to stay up late to watch that on YTV whenever I could. Such a good show. I was stunned when I found out that Don Adams was the voice of Inspector Gadget, which was so obvious.

Peter Sellers was great in the Pink Panther movies and Dr. Strangelove.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, another thing I really like is the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes films. They are basically comedies, thanks to Nigel Bruce's masterful performance playing Watson as an utter buffoon. "Terror by Night" is particularly fun.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Check out the recent film Stan & Ollie if you haven't already. An excellent portrayal of an oddly specific moment near the end of Laurel & Hardy's careers.

Personally, aside from the classics you mentioned (I'm big into Abbott & Costello, Laurel & Hardy, and the Marx Brothers), I have to also recommend almost anything with Cary Grant. His dry deliveries and borderline unidentifiable accent are just instantly charming. "I Was A Male Warbride" might be my favorite, since it pairs him with the hilarious (and underappreciated) Ann Sheridan.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Here's a few I thoroughly enjoyed:

Sherlock_jr_poster.jpg

images

MV5BMjA0NDY5NzUzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjg4ODQwMjE@._V1_.jpg

Witness For The Prosecution might not be a full-blown comedy, but there's enough funny bits to make it worthwhile for comedy fans.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching bits and pieces of Jack Benny's show lately and it holds up
rewllly well, still really funny today.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The only films I regularly watch and, to be honest, even really enjoy from that era (more 60s-70s tbf) are the Pink Panther films.

A Shot in the Dark is still one of the funniest movies ever, and almost all of the sequels have redeeming scenes that never fail to make me laugh.

I thought I was the only one. A Shot in the Dark is my favorite.

Peter Sellers was a comic genius.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The oldest TV comedy I still enjoy is Get Smart (mid to late 60s)
but for movies things like Stalag 17, and any of the Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis movies.
Some of Lewis' early solo movies are decent like The Geisha Boy and the one where he's training to be a cop (edit: The Delicate Delinquent).

Dr Strangelove, Mr Roberts, It's a Mad, Mad World, Bedtime Story (later remade as Dirty Rotten Scoundrels).
Hi five! Get Smart is one of my all time faves, Don Adams was a treasure.
The Avengers: Endgame of comedies. The amount of people that showed up for this was nuts.

MV5BN2YyYjUzYmMtZDNmMy00ODRmLWExOTYtMzg5NzQ5NzZhNjA1L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_.jpg
This was good stuff too

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up on Laurel and Hardy, Honeymooners, and Three Stooges. All problematic in their own ways but still...classics I can laugh at any time. So good.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I love basically all the Marx Brothers films. They've def got some questionable stuff from my memory, but I never mind going back to them. Groucho makes me crack the fuck up, constantly.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Buster Keaton is the GOAT of all GOATS.

Physical comedy doesn't normally do it for me, but he hacks me on some secret humour frequency.