• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you or would you be willing to pay for console game streaming of current and next-gen games?

• Yes, I'd be willing to pay for Microsoft xCloud streaming for XB1 and next gen Xbox games

Votes: 614 25.9%
  • Yes, I'd be willing to pay for Google's Project Stream service with whatever they're doing

Votes: 454 19.1%
  • Yes, I'd be willing to pay for PlayStation Now for PS3/PS4/PS5 games

Votes: 468 19.7%
  • No, I will NOT be willing to pay for any console streaming service, I am totally against it

Votes: 1,302 54.9%
  • xCloud / Gamepass for Nintendo Switch, Yes!

Votes: 555 23.4%

• Total voters

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I'm fine with streaming for narrative-focused single-player games. But I still think network infrastructure not only in the US but in many areas around the world needs to be improved before streaming will be enjoyable for multiplayer or precision-input type games.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
the future is starting with the next consoles, so in the iterations after, be prepared to be left behind. Won't happen with the PS5 or PS6, but past that, not looking bright.

Oh, I totally agree with you on that. This is starting with the next generation of consoles, although streaming won't replace PS5, or even PS6 (and yes, there will be a generation of traditional consoles after PS5/Xbox Scarlett, somewhere around the mid-to-late 2020s) but after that, all bets are off. It might be that only developers and server racks get PS7 hardware. Then consumers will just subscribe to PS7 (and equivalent Xbox) games via streaming. The only upside I could see to that is, the hardware could be massively more powerful than what could be put into a consumer console. Nearly unlimited potential for ray tracing/path tracing/rendering etc.

Other than that, yeah, it's not looking bright.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
I'm not paying for those until the internet infraestructure in my country allows a good experience.
When it happens I'm most likely subscribing for a couple of months to sony, google, nintendo or amazon services when they have a game I want to play that it's not avaliable in the microsoft ecosystem.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
own all consoles and a gaming pc (need a new gpu soon) but yeah I'd be willing to give all the services a shot

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'd pay for it if:
- It works well enough for most games (I can accept some games like fighting games, rts games and first person shooters not being perfect for it.)
- I can stream my digital library (either from Microsoft or Steam)
- The price is right (and the best would be if it was a combined price with Game Pass and xCloud / Steam bundle and Steam streaming)

Think it's good to be open minded about this. I'll need to upgrade my internet, but they are putting fiber in the ground this month. So my 200Mbit connection will probably improve. No datacaps on my cable internet or 4G internet either. But mostly waiting for that 5G goodness.

Oct 25, 2017
Naw. I don't have a 55inch HDR screen to watch what is basically a compressed youtube video of my own gameplay. Not happening.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm upgrading to unlimited 30mbps soon, but I'm not sure if that'll be enough.

Either way, I'm open to streaming, I won't completely ditch it off.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I won't touch it until they can ensure a sub-10ms input latency.

However I think it will take off in a big way and be massively popular with the mainstream, since games like RDR2 have demonstrated that the mass of gamers don't notice, even less care, about a good amount of input lag. It will be popular to the point where making dedicated home consoles will become niche and unprofitable, and will disappear, leaving the few of us who care with no alternative.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I really just want to be able to stream console games to my PC. I'm gonna buy PS5 but I will probably not bother with Anaconda if all the first party games and potentially some third party ones are gonna be on Game Pass/Play Anywhere.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As long as I am given the option I will always opt for physical releases. But when streaming REPLACES physical. I don't see why I won't pay for whatever service someone like Sony are offering at that time. If they can make a huge library of games instantly accessible to either test for 5 minutes or binge for 5 weeks (which is the entire appeal of Netflix) I'm on board.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what % of people voting no have actually tried a streaming service to begin with. A good one like Geforce Now or Google's project stream. Those work really well. PS Now is ok. But these services have improved a lot in the last years, and they will keep getting better.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It all depends on if it works or not. That is the million dollar question. As it is right now? Absolutely not. In five years? Quite possibly.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
PS+/XBLG is plenty enough gaming subscriptions for me (especially so with anything Xbox, considering MS lock MP Game Pass games behind Gold still ). No real interest in paying for any active game streaming service subscription, might do a couple weeks every now and then, but that'd be about it.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I never will. Internet isn't always around for me, so I like my games to be playable when ever. I hate being tied to an internet connection just to play something I've purchased.

Gamepass is a real winner though. I'd rather download than stream.

Dakb

Apr 20, 2018
Never due to the lack of access of the minimum required internet speeds to enjoy it in good quality and without latency issues, something that I doubt is going to get fixed soon in many parts around the world

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Lol the opposite, you aren't going to be able to stream every where you go

It will replace stationary hardware before mobile hardware

Why wouldn't you be able to stream everywhere you go? 5G is close. And the internetspeeds I get over 4G are already 'decent'.

My 4G on the countryside is 20Mbps down and 5Mbps up with a latency of 60ms to the closest Microsoft Azure datacenter. And that's an unlimited data plan. I can see that improving over the next two years.

Oct 28, 2017
If I can get next gen games on the Switch and XbX I already have I'm in.

I have gigabit internet and so I am ready on that side. I just doubt the games I want to play will end up on the service.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
There are a lot of people who are going to be changing their tune 6 months from now.

That being said, don't write off anything now before anything's actually been announced, and similarly don't expect streaming to revolutionize the grid. We're in it's infancy, the next 2 years are going to be a real shit show when it comes to how this stuff works and why it doesn't work for everyone.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
If its cheap enough (ie. xCloud is part of gamepass and the price doesn't change or increase too much) I'll certainly buy in.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I still feel people on resetera think streaming is somehow replacing your current experiences. Streaming is interesting for all these big companies for two reasons:
- It increases your playtime and doesn't restrict you to a plastic box
- People who would never buy a console could try some games now without much troubles

People with shit internet, people who only want 4K/60, people who only want to game on a couch won't be affected by this. At least for the next 5 years.

Yeah, it would be ridiculous to want to have ownership of my games.

Then you are fighting digital media. Not streaming. Which is fair, but not being able to stream is only because you don't want to own games digitally.

My library is 99% digital these days. So I'll be able to stream those games.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. My internet (and my entire country's in general) is utter shit
2. I can afford and am willing to waste money on a game or 2 per month

So... no.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
It's just like netflix - pay $15 or whatever per month to access a range of games vs paying $30-$60 for each game individually.

I'll still buy the games that I want normally but the $15 will easily cover the impulse buys I normally do on consoles each week/month.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
It ultimately depends on performance. Can they replicate the performance I'd expect from a PS4 or Xbox One hardware (or whatever the next line of consoles is)?

I'm not cash constrained so I have no issue buying every console. But if performance approximated hardware then I'd probably be happy to save space.

But in Australia, with third world internet, it seems unlikely that this would be possible in the near-term.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't you be able to stream everywhere you go? 5G is close. And the internetspeeds I get over 4G are already 'decent'.

My 4G on the countryside is 20Mbps down and 5Mbps up with a latency of 60ms to the closest Microsoft Azure datacenter. And that's an unlimited data plan. I can see that improving over the next two years.
4g isn't reliable enough and the speeds change with every mile you travel, speed is not consistent

5g might work once it's every where, but even then once 5g is every where not many people are going to pay 20-30$ a month just so they can use 5g to stream games on the go

Actually it might even be more than 20-30$ a month, I know I wouldn't pay for it