• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you or would you be willing to pay for console game streaming of current and next-gen games?

• Yes, I'd be willing to pay for Microsoft xCloud streaming for XB1 and next gen Xbox games

Votes: 614 25.9%
  • Yes, I'd be willing to pay for Google's Project Stream service with whatever they're doing

Votes: 454 19.1%
  • Yes, I'd be willing to pay for PlayStation Now for PS3/PS4/PS5 games

Votes: 468 19.7%
  • No, I will NOT be willing to pay for any console streaming service, I am totally against it

Votes: 1,302 54.9%
  • xCloud / Gamepass for Nintendo Switch, Yes!

Votes: 555 23.4%

• Total voters

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I'm not paying for console game streaming (Microsoft xCloud, Google Project Stream) are you?

There's no way I am going to spend money on streaming games in this upcoming console generation. I am a firm believer in 100% local hardware in my house.

I own a PS4 Pro, an Xbox One X and a Switch.

I don't plan on subscribing to Microsoft's xCloud, Google's Project Stream, PlayStation Now, or any future streaming service.

I fully plan to buy a PS5, the next high-end Xbox (Anaconda) and perhaps even a fully physical console from Google (if they announce that as an option, and if the games are compelling enough).

Edit: I'd even be willing to purchase future mid-gen upgraded consoles from Sony and Microsoft, i.e. PS5 Pro and ScarlettX in 2023-2024 or so, if those things happen.

The issues I have with streaming-only are many, it's not just about the inevitable guaranteed latency (however minimized by new technology that Microsoft and Google have). It's mainly about my rights as a consumer, not having ownership of my games, and having to worry about streaming service games being pulled at any point by either the publisher or platform holder.

I do realize that streaming is probably going to be a very interesting choice for some, and I'm not against that at all. However for me, it's not something I plan to spend money on.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I will when UK internet speeds get improved. They wouldn't be good enough for 4k gaming.

Feb 27, 2019
Of course not. Latency and image quality are important. Streaming is for kids who can't afford real hardware in my opinion or casuals who don't want to buy it.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I'm not against it any way (besides my personal expectations in regards to quality), if it fits your needs then more power to you. But I won't be subscribing to them. Who has time to 'binge' a constant pile of 10-100hour games? Better to hand-pick the strongest titles from multiple publishers throughout the year and play them without latency issues and with good image quality.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Eh, I'll give it a shot. I've been happy with the streaming solutions so far, personally.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt there will be an outright streaming sub for it. it will be bundled with something else at the worst. Amazon with Prime, Google likes to go free with ads usually, but they could bundle it with a youtube service. Microsoft could bundle it with Game Pass similar to Sony.

to be totally honest it wouldn't surprise me if Amazon, Google and Microsoft make streaming free and recoup their costs from the additional game sales.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'd try them all at least. I pay for streaming music, I pay for streaming movies and TV. Damn right I'd try paying for, my favourite hobby, gaming.

I've paid for months of PS Now here and there and it's been mostly fine. My criticism of that has mostly been to do with the library rather than the tech. Interested to see what Google bring.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Things can change, but local hardware > streaming, and as long as I have the wherewithal to afford local hardware (particularly premium console SKUs), I'll opt for that.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I'm not paying for it as a service independent of being bundled into XBL Gold or PS+.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Of course not especially if it will end up like movie streaming in a few years. I'm not going to juggle 3-9 subscription services.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
That's a no from me, streaming is not feasible with my connection. And even if it did, IQ and latency are very important to me, so hell to the no.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Someday we won't have a choice, till then I rather avoid streaming video games.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I don't fit into any of the poll answers.

Steam's Link Anywhere solution, assuming it works, is good enough for me as someone with a decent PC and network. Basically a personal cloud with no fees.

Console should do the same

I'm hardly against cloud services, but I won't get any when I have more than enough content owned already and have no additional costs to pay

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see what the future holds, but as of now, I'm not a fan of it at all. As long as traditional gaming is around, that's where my focus will be.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what's on offer. If 5G gets here and they have jrpgs and other stuff that you can actually play on a smartphone on offer with save persistence between the streaming service and my home console saves and if the price is right - why not?

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I voted no but not because i am against it.
Its the future it would be stupid to be against it.
I am someone who will always own a console so there is no need.
Maybe eventually if xcloud runs on phones amazingly and psnow does as well i will get both for mobile play.

Oct 27, 2017
I have gigabit internet and the latency still sucks on GEForce Now game streaming on my NVidia Shield.

I don't think game streaming will be viable for the those sensitive to latency for a good while.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be willing to see what it was all about, but yeah, I think unless latency is under control, most people here won't care.

But if it was, it could be a game changer for the industry, and I'd suspect everyone would at least try it at some point, especially if/when companies are able to push 4k quality gaming on rigs that the average consumer just can't afford. Even if it's more appealing to people with access to only smartphones or whatever at first, you know the potential is there for it to go way beyond that.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I'd pay to stream the handful of Microsoft games that appeal to me, sure. I play mostly single player games anyway.

Especially something like xCloud on the Switch.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
I'll do it if it's cheap and seamless- like if the xcloud switch thing happened to be true, I'd pay to be able to play a local game of XCOM 3 on my PC or whatever and pick up the same file on my switch.

Supposedly the new steam link changes are kinda like that?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will if it's cheaper, if it works out to being the same price as buying a game digitally or physically on sale then no

Only for multiplatform games though, obviously not exclusives since streaming services won't have Nintendo and Sony exclusives etc

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely 0 interest in it. It will be an inferior experience to actually owning/downloading the game, and I have internet data caps that I already come close to every month. I can't use up another 200+gb streaming games, and a low quality stream of a game will be unplayable crap, ie, Playstation Now.

This is just another means to further reduce ownership of games. Can easily remove a game from a service since you never "owned" it in the first place, you are just paying a fee per month to access the service.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm indifferent, if it works great I'm on board. Trying to stop progress is pointless

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Splitting the Yes vote among three options against one for No sure is a great way to make this look like a more lopsided issue than it actually is.

I'll try streaming services. If they work, great. If they don't, I'll use the existing product. As I have with every other new development in technology for several decades now.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I'll pay to do streaming as long as it works good enough for me. It will eventually be normal to stream games just as with every other media based distribution. Just evolution of technology, and a lot of people growing up don't care about "owning" as much as people growing up "owning" (aka a license to play, not literally owning) content. So yea, I'll stream, and use local most likely. Best of both worlds, not beholden to a single box works best for me.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
If it works then why not? The convenience is nice.
If you travel then you don't drag along with you the home console... but now you can continue your game with a tablet or phone.. you just need to bring with a controller.

So if it works with latency and all (obviously depending on what games) then why not?
We will have both worlds according to Microsoft, for those who only wants local hardware.. no problem.
For those who want/Can stream.. no problem.

for hybrid solution.. no problem.

Great with choices!

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm only willing if I get all games from a particular console manufacturer. Nintendo? I want any SNES or GameCube or GBA game. Sony? Give me PS1 all the way up to PS4.