• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you or would you be willing to pay for console game streaming of current and next-gen games?

• Yes, I'd be willing to pay for Microsoft xCloud streaming for XB1 and next gen Xbox games

Votes: 614 25.9%
  • Yes, I'd be willing to pay for Google's Project Stream service with whatever they're doing

Votes: 454 19.1%
  • Yes, I'd be willing to pay for PlayStation Now for PS3/PS4/PS5 games

Votes: 468 19.7%
  • No, I will NOT be willing to pay for any console streaming service, I am totally against it

Votes: 1,302 54.9%
  • xCloud / Gamepass for Nintendo Switch, Yes!

Votes: 555 23.4%

• Total voters

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I'll pay if the performance is there. My internet connection is about as fast as it gets for residential and I won't believe it until I see it with my own eyes.

Nah, I like the ownership of physical games

I used to feel the same way. Then I realized discs now ship incomplete with huge day 1 patches being a thing and multiplayer servers can go away at any time. Even for p2p mp games the networks you play them over might not be around a few years from now. Discs are becoming useless rocks that just take up a bunch of space at this point. You don't really own much besides the case. I just gave in and have went almost all digital besides the few games I've bought on Switch this gen.

Last edited:

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
As I've said before, until game streaming is 100% the same as playing it direct... same input lag, same image quality, same audio quality... I have no interest.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will pay for XCloud, out of the 3 I feel MS will do it right, given they're big players in both cloud and gaming.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Probably not anytime soon. I'd only have use for it when I'm not home maybe, like using it on a handheld (switch, tablet, etc)?
I dont see myself ever using it over regular gaming when I have the option.

monstar

Oct 25, 2017
It will come down to exclusive games. Game streaming doesn't appeal to me but I'm not fervently against it

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I cant afford new games. If I can pay something like $100 a year and get new games or MP games, Id subscribe. Presumably includes free MP access. I dont mind losing access to games, I dont play them when Im done anyway.

This gen, Ive sold every new SP game Ive bought to pay for the next one. I use Amazon's E3 deals to pay $50, and sell for around $60-70. Then I buy games and try to break even on selling them back. Actually, that's probably still the cheaper option.

I dont trust the sub service to be as cheap as $100 a year, nor do I expect the newest games... but Xbox's model is pretty promising on that end, and I assume First Party Games would have to carry the model, but I can only see Sony having that kind of backing to do something like that.

I dont want to stream though, Id like to download

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
The "No" option could have come without the "I'm totally against it" text. That implies that I have an issue with the concept, which isn't the case. I'm completely fine with it being an option for others, but I don't see the appeal.

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
I don't believe in streaming. The idea is nice in theory, but I will never be confident enough in the internet connection or the underlying tech for it to supplant a standalone console.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I need to see the cost, performance and experience before I make any decision. I'm not sure what to think without seeing the final product.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I'm already paying a $10+ data cap tax on video games as it is. Can you imagine if I had to stream them as well?

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I like owning my games and sometimes reselling or gifting them.

Digital downloads are ok for certain situations but if you can avoid them and get discs, it's not worth selling your rights away for the convenience of not having to get up from the couch to swap disks when switching games.

And game streaming is 20 years early. Just like self driving cars. That's what society gets when the Telcos have monopolies and maximise profit instead of network capability...
That's just my opinion.

Edit: digital for PC is ok because PC's are open platforms and this gives the consumer a lot of power to retain control of their games.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
How can you be so sure you won't be into streaming games when you haven't had a chance to see how well it works? I'd guess a decade from now streaming games will be the norm.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Streams to be at least good is 10 years away min in the whole world maybe 20-30 years

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Latency and data caps are a real thing. Until they are no longer applicable, not a chance in hell.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I won't be paying for streaming independently, but I expect the business model will to be to bundle it with something like Game Pass. If that was the case, I would definitely use it (in rooms where I don't have a console)

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
You have no idea how the service will work or the quality that will be available, Technology is moving at an exponential rate.

This thread is stupid and needlessly hostile.

Exactly. It is inevitable that technology will get to a point where streaming games from powerful servers will be the best way to play games.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
Why not? Technical reasons?
Me having to pay to play my games is anti consumer and I don't trust MS or any other company with my collections...
Which brings me to my other point.. I want to own my games.

A service that gives me game trials/discounts/betas/extra in game content that is priced low like EA access is something I would support though.

Also being able to stream MY OWN collection is a nice bell and whistle but not a need especially if it costs me and is not included with my XBL/PS+ Subscription.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it's not for me. I'd much rather run games locally on my own hardware.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like the idea but I'm happy paying for the local hardware to compute thanks. Latency is a huge factor in Australia for gaming, don't need it getting any worse thanks.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I'll pay for whatever works well and gives me what I like

Not closing my mind off to any options

It's all about the games to me, not how you get it. It honestly baffles me when people care more about how the game is delivered than the game itself

Nov 25, 2018
Most games I enjoy would be really unplayable with even more input delay so I will also not be buying into any of that streaming stuff

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even if I wanted to. Canadian internet just isn't good enough and I would bet our ISPs will find ways to nickel and dime this sooner or later.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
A good streaming service on Nintendo Switch would really help its library keep up to date with the competitors, but I don't expect Nintendo to make a good one in the near future. I don't expect them to allow another company in the hardware biz to extend their service to the Switch either.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
My neighborhood recently got fiber internet so I went from having a 1TB data cap with 150mb to unlimited data and 1000mb speeds. So I'm more than open to trying it now.

Most of the US still has data caps and lower speeds though so this sounds still pretty far away from taking off here, unless they have some magic solution for the latency.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm down. Of course, as with everything in life, it's a value proposition that needs to be weighed. Number of games, quality of service, etc....but yeah, all things being equal, I really don't care about "owning" video games. I just want to play them.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its not even about what you guys want. This is for people playing mobile games that think sitting in front of a tv waiting for shit to install is silly. I bet when they hit you with the 30 days free trial with early access Halo Infinite and Assasins Creed Atlantis you're jumping in. One thing it seems we all love more than anything is being the first settlers for a AAA videogame.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also data caps, if that is true above me with it being like 15gbs per hour my 1tb data cap is already hitting its limits right now, so that's going to be fucked even more.
This is from the Geforce Now beta mind you, but it has a few different options and the values are approximations.

So, for example, they have a "Data server" option, which will limit your bitrate to 12mbps max, and stream at 720p/60, calculating around 4gb per hour. The "competitive" option does 720p/120fps at around 6gb per hour. The custom option I'm using is 1080p/60 and it's the one that uses around 15gb per hour. But if I wanted to do, say, 1920 by 1200 (16:10 res) at 120fps it can even go up to 20gb per hour.

I can't speak for Microsoft or Google's solutions, but I can't imagine them being wildly different. With games doing 4k natively these requirements will only go up. It definitely sucks the most for data cap users and you know ISPs are going to get their fingers in there as more streaming services show up.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I just shelled out for a 4k hdr TV a couple years back because it was "the future" and now they are trying to tell me that I'm actually supposed to be streaming my games at 1080P lol. I'm not "against" streaming, if people want to do it more power to them but as someone who bought "the most powerful console ever" I'm kind of miffed at all this talk of streaming games because people dont want to buy expensive hardware anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it works supremely well, I would still never be on board given the risk of losing access to games that I would always want to play. As a consumer, that's one of my main issues with streaming, especially further in the future, if some games are exclusively streaming-only. I'm not willing to take that chance, even if streaming technologies work flawlessly (and that's nearly impossible).

My question and poll are genuine in terms of wanting to know where people stand, and not needlessly hostile. I am a multi-platform/console owner, have no undying bias in favor of any single console provider, and plan to buy all the next-gen consoles (at least from the current players, Google, we'll see).
How do you feel about Netflix/Hulu? Full access to a library of content you wouldn't necessarily "buy", but can enjoy on a whim, instantly from paying monthly fee.

I'll tell you right now, if Sony got 70% of it's massive PS1/2 library nailed down along with a respectable catalogue of PS3/4 titles I could access any time I want, they'd have a subscriber from me in a heartbeat.

The games I really really like or want to keep forever I would buy in full of course, just like how I treat TV/Movies I find on streaming.

AndyB1974

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be interested in streaming If ever we reach a time where streaming a game is audio/visually completely indistinguishable from playing it natively on hardware. Otherwise I've zero interest.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Me having to pay to play my games is anti consumer and I don't trust MS or any other company with my collections...
Which brings me to my other point.. I want to own my games.

A service that gives me game trials/discounts/betas/extra in game content that is priced low like EA access is something I would support though.

Also being able to stream MY OWN collection is a nice bell and whistle but not a need especially if it costs me and is not included with my XBL/PS+ Subscription.

So, to play one game you'd prefer buying a plastic box and a physical copy ~$350 over a 15 dollar sub if it works decent enough?

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
This is from the Geforce Now beta mind you, but it has a few different options and the values are approximations.

So, for example, they have a "Data server" option, which will limit your bitrate to 12mbps max, and stream at 720p/60, calculating around 4gb per hour. The "competitive" option does 720p/120fps at around 6gb per hour. The custom option I'm using is 1080p/60 and it's the one that uses around 15gb per hour. But if I wanted to do, say, 1920 by 1200 (16:10 res) at 120fps it can even go up to 20gb per hour.

I can't speak for Microsoft or Google's solutions, but I can't imagine them being wildly different. With games doing 4k natively these requirements will only go up. It definitely sucks the most for data cap users and you know ISPs are going to get their fingers in there as more streaming services show up.
Yeah it just sucks. Between 100gb game downloads and now I just bought a 4K tv so 4K streaming which adds more data being used (still buy UHD disks so it's not a huge thing) and with my gf steaming and playing MMOs data caps don't last in this place.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
I know this is crazy talk but id like to actually see the prices and the full breadth of these services before making up my mind one way or the other on whether to spend money on them....