• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you or would you be willing to pay for console game streaming of current and next-gen games?

• Yes, I'd be willing to pay for Microsoft xCloud streaming for XB1 and next gen Xbox games

Votes: 614 25.9%
  • Yes, I'd be willing to pay for Google's Project Stream service with whatever they're doing

Votes: 454 19.1%
  • Yes, I'd be willing to pay for PlayStation Now for PS3/PS4/PS5 games

Votes: 468 19.7%
  • No, I will NOT be willing to pay for any console streaming service, I am totally against it

Votes: 1,302 54.9%
  • xCloud / Gamepass for Nintendo Switch, Yes!

Votes: 555 23.4%

• Total voters

LuckyHit

Oct 27, 2017
If it lets me play on my mobile phone and tablet, has a good library of games, and the price is just cheap enough, then I don't mind trying it out. I had really good experiences with OnLive and my internet is pretty decent.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried PS Now and it was terrible. Remote Play w Vita was an awful experience for me too. I have zero faith in a streaming future but I am willing to give Microsoft a shot at getting it right with some of my dollars

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
The options for the poll are stupid. I'm not buying this because I don't play enough for it to be worth it for me. I'm also not against streaming services.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
How can you POSSIBLY decide that when we know absolutely zero details about any service or price or features or quality or...?

If I had a dollar for everyone I know who swore off Netflix forever when they went to streaming vs discs...or who didn't want to move from physical to mp3... or claimed they'd never need a cellphone.

If the product is good, gamers will totally buy it eventually. You'll eventually see the vast majority of game cases lining your shelves the way most people see movie or music physical cases: as a pointless waste of space, largely obsolete.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Said yes to the last one cause Nintendo, but even then I would wait to see how much of their library is being offered before signing up.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I would need to see what the pricing is like, the features, etc. It seems sillly to write something off while literally knowing nothing about it.

B_Mild

Dec 1, 2017
Not making up my mind now. I will wait and make an informed decision shortly after launch. If it doesn't have any exclusives I'm interested in, or has technical issues associated with the streaming platform, I'll likely stick with Sony for the next gen.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I was in the Google project stream beta for assassins Creed oddysee, and it was ok for the most part. Definitely felt more lag playing streaming versus local on my ssd, but it wasn't awful. Still, I had one crash because I lost my internet connection for a second and the experience was jarring. I won't say I'm never interested in streaming but I highly doubt I'll use it as my main way to play for a long, long time. I don't have any interest to pay for a streaming service at this time.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Mid-tier Cox internet is not reliable enough and I like to own physical copies of games. I will never walk this path.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I'll hop right on and ditch my pc and consoles once there's no input lag or artifacting. Would save me a lot of money.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
If I get access to games I normally couldn't play, then sure. Streaming doesn't bother me at all, but I'm not gonna stream a game that I can just go buy.

If I can play PC exclusive games on my consoles? I'd subscribe in a heart beat!

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
This will definitely be a wait and see. I have att fiber but I'm not convinced.

Will Google just pull a pixel where they are laying ground work but the real deal is a generation or two away?

Protmind

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not paying to play a YouTube video (even a high res, high bit rate one at that). If this is the way things are going in the future. I'm out of this hobby all together. Streaming games will not compare to 4k 60 HDMI video straight into my tv from a direct source. My setup has me about 4 feet from my tv and I can absolutely tell the difference.

I have spent thousands on games since 1994 when the PS1 came out. I'll find something else to do and I'll spend that money on my kids or buy a new car or something.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Where is the choice of "Not right now, but maybe in the future if I have the use case"?

Right now I am not planning to use any of the streaming clients. However, if I started travelling again, I'd sign up for one of them (or Geforce/Shadow/etc) in a heartbeat.

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I have no issue with streaming games. I tried OnLive back in the day and it worked well even back then. I also tested Google Project stream and AC Odyssey there, and after the first hour, I could not tell any notable input lag that made the game unplayable or even seem unfair. I wouldn't stream multiplayer or fighting games, but everything else would probably work well and I wouldn't miss a bit. It all depends if they provide a quality product and service at an affordable cost. It's about value as a consumer in the end, if it gives me enough value and makes my life easier, I am for it.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
If you're into portable gaming.. then it's a given you're gonna be paying for streaming. 5 watt socs aren't gonna be driving graphics when you can get console graphics from a data center.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Why make a decision today...or why make one that takes you well into the future when you have little to no info? If it works well and is a good value, I'll pay for it. If not, I won't. Maybe I won't at launch but will eventually.

This would be a better discussion when the services are about to go live and we have detailed info about them.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Some games have shitty input lag. I don't want another thing adding to that as connection speed and location of where the game is being physically played can add to that making games feel even more like shit.

FantasyZone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not fully against by any means. I just prefer buying physical copies of games and would probably pass up on streaming only games for others available in the format I want.

Bingle Bango

Sep 13, 2018
If it works, I can't wait! I'm just hoping the services will offer some type of trial to test how it works with your home/setup.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
by the time streaming is mandatory i'll likely not be playing anymore so i don't really care.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be interested in a retro-game streaming service, but I'm a bit suspicious on how current developers will be paid for the types of games I enjoy this gen (big single player games).

Feel as though a streaming service will just lead to the f2p-type games being the majority newly developed games, where you pay a cheap subscription to play those early-access Fortnite type games.

AzzX

Oct 25, 2017
There are just too many trade offs with streaming to make it worthwhile, being in Oz makes it even less so with our archaic infrastructure.

If you add VR, HD Audio, 4K, 144+hz refresh rates to the mix its appears to be a pipedream at this stage.

In contrast to media streaming like Netflix, Game streaming cannot be buffered or pre-empted, something Netflix does really well.

My biggest issue however is Game streaming completes the walled garden phase some game companies have been trying to implement for years, and I am not really comfortable with this.

Oct 25, 2017
Paying to play online is already stupid.
Paying to play games only when I have a stable and fast enough connection and prone to being delisted is even worse.

Also, I don't understand why people are pairing "non physical" with "streaming". I don't stream my Steam games and I'm able to play them when internet is down, thank you very much.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
There's gonna be lots of calls of "luddite!" from the younger crowd, but I'm proud of Era for those poll results. It's not a great poll - there's more nuance than that - but I think it's the right answer nonetheless. I already think Gamepass is an awkward product - I very much realize it has it's vocal supporters here but I just think these companies have every reason to actively try to erode your ability to permanently own things... and we should not be helping them win that battle.

I would also really need to be convinced from a gameplay responsiveness and visual fidelity perspective. Having experienced PS Now on a very good internet connection... we aren't there yet at all.

Chrono78

Mar 21, 2018
I will pay for it if it means I get to play titles that otherwise are not available on Switch. Portable-only for me even at home.

Jan 21, 2019
United Kingdom
I'd be more open to it if the internet in my area wasn't atrocious.

Even on a wired connection, playing RDR1 on PSNow was desync and input lag central.

That and, well, I like to own my games.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
I like to own my games and not be depended on a service that can remove any game at any time.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I'll be picking up the high end Xbox near launch, ps5 maybe down the line when the exclusives are more abundant.

The streaming isn't a big selling point to me but having the best hardware and gamepass is. If the streaming proves to be of high enough quality I could see myself using it in the future but right now it's not a selling point.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I've got no moral qualms with paying for it, as OP suggests. I actually think streaming is a good idea. People may be against streaming now, but once they see that far more graphically intensive games can be run while streaming, they will probably change their mind. You'll be able to play games that run on supercomputers, essentially.

However my internet isn't fast or stable enough for me to have a good experience. So for practical reasons, it doesn't make sense for me to get into streaming at this time.