• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you or would you be willing to pay for console game streaming of current and next-gen games?

• Yes, I'd be willing to pay for Microsoft xCloud streaming for XB1 and next gen Xbox games

Votes: 614 25.9%
  • Yes, I'd be willing to pay for Google's Project Stream service with whatever they're doing

Votes: 454 19.1%
  • Yes, I'd be willing to pay for PlayStation Now for PS3/PS4/PS5 games

Votes: 468 19.7%
  • No, I will NOT be willing to pay for any console streaming service, I am totally against it

Votes: 1,302 54.9%
  • xCloud / Gamepass for Nintendo Switch, Yes!

Votes: 555 23.4%

• Total voters

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I own a PS4 Pro, an Xbox One X and a Switch.

You clearly aren't the target audience. Streaming is supposed to make AAA gaming possible on cheaper, more convenient hardware for people who care less about image quality and input response times. It isn't trying to cannibalize existing console users.

Xmengrey

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
The solely depends on a few things
1. Is it optional I don't want to be streaming games to my gaming PC if I can easily play them locally give me an option to play locally then I'll consider it.
2. What's the selection of games if xCloud gives me all Xbox One titles then sure I'll use it on my phone.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
As someone who actually cares about owning my games and not ketting publishers hold all the power over them no I won't pay or use streaming.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
you will eventually tho

I responded "no" to the vote, but I wouldn't be surprised if my answer changed in the next few years, as my "no" is more moderate than the poll expresses. It's hard to know how the market and solutions will evolve; many of the several of the services we've heard of are still being rolled out.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a GeForce Now user and I'm already paying for PS Now and can't wait to experience Microsoft and Google's services. Streaming games is amazing and can't wait for the day where games aren't held back by outdated consoles. That's assuming those service providers will upgrade the hardware behind the scenes.

Oct 31, 2017
The only one that makes sense to me is streaming to the Switch games that it doesn't have the hardware power for. I live in Japan so I feel like the net could potentially be good enough. I don't need streaming on anything else, though.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Tried PS Now for the first time this last month and already finished a couple of games with zero lag so I'm down for it. If they can improve the service even further and enhance the libraries, I vote yes.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be on board streaming train as soon as they figure out faster than light speed for communication.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I like the idea of streaming as a supplemental service. A way to play games when I travel or an away from home. But I will never replace my core home experience with streaming.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I think it provides a brilliant future. The option to have high end PC level gaming with ever evolving improvements without need for hardware refreshes or a large upfront cost sounds great. We live in an age where we bounce from one thing to the next faster than ever and it will only head more and more in that direction where we play what's hot then move on and never look back unless it's a GaaS title. I think the positives far outweigh the negatives and dont feel like my rights as a consumer are being encroached upon at all, the opposite actually. Of course for those that do love to collect and revisit older games there should always be the option to do things the classic way but I dont see how having the option to stream and have lower costs warrant a outcry or pushback in the slightest. In my eyes anything that lowers the barrier to entry is great.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
This is where gaming is moving towards. In a couple of generations you wont even be able to buy physical games. It's easier for companies to control the market then, plus the added benefit of no second hand market (for the corporations).

I already use inhouse streaming and it works great. Looking forward to project stream / xcloud on switch.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
All of you saying you will never pay for a game streaming service, have in mind that that stance will probably mean you will stop playing new videogames after a certain point in time.

Although that point in time is still far off, I believe.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
All of you saying you will never pay for a game streaming service, have in mind that that stance will probably mean you will stop playing new videogames after a certain point in time.

That is my plan. The day streaming is the only option is the day I'm out.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really can't answer. I'm not totally against streaming but it just isn't what it's cracked up to be from what I've experienced. It isn't a flawless experience. That goes from PS Now, to the Nvidia shield. It won't be any different with Google or MS. My internet infrastructure isn't good enough. Even though I have 100mb broadband I'm connected through homeplugs and Wi-Fi. Aside from the shield which is plugged straight in but even then I've had latency issues and the resolution can drop as low as 560p.

How is it supposed to stack up to when your playing 4k natively anyway? It might be good for the absolute casual but not for people who want a better experience.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
My gut feeling says no, but I have no knowledge of these projects and I first would need to see it in action. Just like with every other purchase I make.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, if it works, I will gladly pay 1-2 services to play games. Wont need to buy physical consoles (more free space at home), I can get games exclusives for different services, I can play when and where I want...it's the future.

Nov 6, 2017
Streaming does not interest me at all. Paying extra for reduced image quality, additional lag and a lot of possible problems / influences between the display and the server I have no control over? No, thanks. There is no benefit for me.

The option to have high end PC level gaming with ever evolving improvements without need for hardware refreshes or a large upfront cost sounds great.
But guess who is paying for the server upgrades: the user. So the upgrade cost is just hidden behind superscription / small fees.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Like any sane person would do, it will depends on the pricing, quality of offerings, accessibility and caveats of restrictions (if any).

Subscribing to a service with blind enthusiasm and without any of the considerations that i mentioned is literally a fool's errand.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully xCloud will be included in the subs I already play (Live Gold + Game Pass). I can see myself use it, but not all the time, so I wouldn't pay insane amounts to use it. I'm sure MS is aware that most people's sweet spot doesn't go abovr 10-15 bucks though.

Feb 10, 2018
This needs additional poll choices.
Xcloud and Google will likely combine gamepass with Xcloud.

I think Ms will do

Xcloud with gamepass and the ability to stream your game libary= $14.99

Xcloud on its own, giving ppl the ability to stream there libary = $7.99

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I mod games; the only streaming I'm going to do is from my PC to some device that isn't my PC so I can play my modded games when I'm not near my PC.

I might use streaming to test/demo games or to play multiplayer in games I don't care to own that my friends play, but that's beyond it. And those are only options if I can do them for free.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I certainly won't be using streaming as the primary way to play games. Something like Game Pass where you pay a subscription to download games on either Xbox or PC and play them locally is far more appealing.
But I'm unlikely to buy another PlayStation console, and if they were able to improve their PS Now service I could see the appeal of paying something like $8 to play a game for a month.
The local experience playing on real hardware is not that good anyway (30 FPS, bad image quality, bad controls) - so a good streaming experience wouldn't be much of a downgrade, and the cost is nothing compared to buying hardware and the game.
There are maybe a handful of games exclusive to the PlayStation 4 that I would consider playing like this, and it wouldn't take more than a month or two to play through them all.
I'm not quite sure how streaming works out in their favor compared to multiplatform releases of their games, considering the infrastructure costs of something like this. I guess the expectation is that they won't be anywhere near full capacity most of the time.

Roukira

Dec 1, 2018
France, Paris
Personally I want to wait and see how it goes. I'm not against it nor for it (that's why I didn't vote).
If it works well, and allows me to play the same way as before with some advantages, why not?
I'm more interested in subscription models like GamePass which can be quite cool to own only one console (or maybe 0 if Nintendo goes for it) while playing all their first party games.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Streaming only seems to have downsides to me. Would much rather play games on local hardware. And I don't want to play console games on my phone so there is no value there either.

Oct 25, 2017
Voted No, but I'm not against it or anything. I just personally don't want it, so if it's an extra sub fee, I won't be getting it.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Our place needs a dependable and affordable fiber optic connection first so probably not in the next 5 years or so.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I can barely stream 1080p video where I live in the U.K. (very rural). No signs of that changing anytime soon, to the point I'm now thinking only 5G will save me. And god knows when rural areas will get 5G coverage... I still don't have 4G coverage.

I love the idea of streaming games on a subscription model akin to Netflix, rather than individually buying every single game I want to play. I'm all digital today and have been for a while - just download games overnight. The lack of infrastructure for 4K game streaming just doesn't make it an option for me any time soon.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No, because my internet is shite.

If my internet was good and it was priced correctly then im all in.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Our broadband upgrade was hamstrung by our government so I don't think streaming will ever be viable for Australia. So I voted no.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
My internet is generally great but even it has some hiccups here and there, so no. There aren't really any advantages to it for me as far as I can tell.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna use any streaming service anytime soon, my internet sucks and still will in the foreseeable future.

While I like good image/sound quality and would try to get the best gaming experience for my money, I'm not a Hi Fi fetishist and wouldn't spend thousands of bucks a year just to be at the forefront of technology, but if streaming quality is significantly worse in my eyes than on a traditional box, then it'd be a no-go for me. Not even talking about stuff like a sudden drop in image quality or even a pause in gameplay, lol, which obviously happens on Netflix with shitty internet.

But the worst part though is, not owning anything, they choose what's available, at what time and for how long. When a game is gone, it's gone. And what if you can't afford to pay for the pile of monthly fees anymore, well you lose access to all your games, just like that. If I can't afford to buy new physical (or digital) games, I just sit back and take something out of my backlog/collection.

I'm sure streaming is the future, but I won't be using it for as long as there are enough alternatives. I welcome it as an alternative to play games, but I'm not gonna support it, even less so if it's a google service.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
vs

$50-100/year.

The consumer pays less? Depends on the consumer needs though.
If you think that a high-end unlimited streaming service with games included will be 50-100 USD a year then you haven't really considered the costs of actually providing that.

Maybe during early days as a loss leader -- but in practice that doesn't even pay for the actual hosting costs, never mind the content.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
If it works flawlessly, sure I'll stream.

I don't think we are anywhere close to that point though. Latency is just such a big problem for gaming while it doesn't matter for music & movies.

nickfrancis86

Nov 10, 2017
I don't see how you can be 'against' streaming. It's just offering another option to people. I will likely still have something local to play on next gen. To be honest that will most likely be a PC. If there is an option to stream the few exclusives That I'd play then I will absolutely do that.

I've had decent experiences so far with streaming.

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
You'll know the technology is ready when you're able to stream something like Apex and still play as if you were launching it yourself.

Until then, no.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

Probably, I have no interest in juggling subscriptions once they all stop playing nice with each other and going exclusive to themselves. Already fucked off TV subscrition services for the most part (family has a Netflix and Amazon sub, but I barely use either) due to all the different subscriptions, will do the same if/when gaming is the same.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
I am actually willing to try them all. If they work good enough, I will probably switch between them on a monthly basis. That way I can play all the exclusives I want without purchasing a new console, which sounds great to me!