• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you or would you be willing to pay for console game streaming of current and next-gen games?

• Yes, I'd be willing to pay for Microsoft xCloud streaming for XB1 and next gen Xbox games

Votes: 614 25.9%
  • Yes, I'd be willing to pay for Google's Project Stream service with whatever they're doing

Votes: 454 19.1%
  • Yes, I'd be willing to pay for PlayStation Now for PS3/PS4/PS5 games

Votes: 468 19.7%
  • No, I will NOT be willing to pay for any console streaming service, I am totally against it

Votes: 1,302 54.9%
  • xCloud / Gamepass for Nintendo Switch, Yes!

Votes: 555 23.4%

• Total voters

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
If you think that a high-end unlimited streaming service with games included will be 50-100 USD a year then you haven't really considered the costs of actually providing that.

Maybe during early days as a loss leader -- but in practice that doesn't even pay for the actual hosting costs, never mind the content.
I'm pretty confident that the price will be lower overall over a generation then it is to own a console/PC with all the games bought.

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
I will probably do it down the line if it's cheap and work well enough like Netflix.

Before that? No.

Oct 29, 2017
The gameplay experience of streaming is absolutely awful. Why would anyone would pay for a service which makes games completely unfun to play by design?

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
The gameplay experience of streaming is absolutely awful. Why would anyone would pay for a service which makes games completely unfun to play by design?

Yeah, no.
I've been playing DMC3 and NG2 just fine without dropping any combos on PS Now. "Absolutely awful" is hyperbole in my book.
I would pay because I don't have a bottom-tier internet connection.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
For the foreseeable future I think I'll prefer local to streaming.

However I bought fewer consoles this cycle than previously.

If the odd bit of content is available via streaming that I can't get on my reduced set of local consoles, I might dip in and out of streaming services to access that content temporarily.

I also happily use streaming/remoteplay for secondary access to my local hardware's content.

In then end it depends on how content shakes out. For example if Google's platform is streaming only, and if Google absorbs a chunk of beloved content IP through acquisitions - which is a distinct possibility - then if their service is any way decent where I am, I'd undoubtedly sign up from time to time for access to that content.

Next week will be super interesting here. We'll see if this is the starting gun on a big round of consolidation, which could lead to less multiplatform content, and more silo-ed content. That could compel me to keep maybe one or two 'main' home consoles, and a variety of looser relationships with other services depending on what games are available and when. I must admit though that it would be a shame for me if consolidation involving some streaming-only players (like, say, Google, or maybe Amazon or Apple in the future), led to a situation where some publishers/developers, newly owned by those companies, stopped bringing content to local systems

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I will when UK internet speeds get improved. They wouldn't be good enough for 4k gaming.
Blame BT for that.
Virgin and Hyperoptics are the only ones doing something good, hyperoptics especially with their 1GB up and down....though they are only available in limited apartment complexes in limited cities. But I pay 36 quid a month for their gigabit connection. Virgin on the other hand is too expensive for what it provides.

kittoo

Banned
Apr 20, 2018
If the whole catalogue is available day one and if the quality of graphics and response as good as local, only then.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
With the Geforce Now Beta I'm convinced cloud gaming is already a viable solution under most cases. This type of service will only get better in time as they reduce latency/bandwidth consumption and increase image quality. At some point exclusive games designed to take full advantage of what is possible with the cloud will start to come out and that will do a lot to promote this type of service.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Eventually I definitely will. I stream music. I stream movies. I don't own any of that. I do not care. Games will be exactly the same.

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
This is one of those things that is optional and in the future will not, remember when for costumes there was unlocks and all and now is dlc ?
What's outrageous in one time may not be in another, I play less and less so I may give up altogether

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not against it, but I'm willing to wait and see how it goes. I was there back in the day, 2012 when the first go a PC Game Streaming came out. It was awful, but you could see what they were going for.

Right now I pay for Netflix & Amazon Prime. If the library was big, if the cost around that, I could see myself going that way. The biggest issue for me is library size & performance. I'm not willing to pay for all of these and I'm not committing until I see proof they can provide what they are offering.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Blame BT for that.
Virgin and Hyperoptics are the only ones doing something good, hyperoptics especially with their 1GB up and down....though they are only available in limited apartment complexes in limited cities. But I pay 36 quid a month for their gigabit connection. Virgin on the other hand is too expensive for what it provides.
I do

I live in Northumberland so no chance of great internet until the 2030s

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Absolutely not. I like to, y'know, own the things that I pay money for.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty confident that the price will be lower overall over a generation then it is to own a console/PC with all the games bought.
If you went out your way to buy everything at full price probably. Considering most just buy a CoD, FIFA [sports game] and maybe 1 other day 1 AAA every years, it'd probably be the same for most, if not way more depending on how exclusives play out with these services. If I have to sub to PSNow, EA Access, Ubisoft's, Activision's, Game Pass and whatever else to have access to all that I do now just having a PS4 and XB1, that'd be a lot more expensive than what I pay over a gen for similar accessability now, way more than I have any interest in paying.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm absolutely going to pay for game streaming as long as it benefits me. I'm a married man with multiple TV's and one of each console. There are plenty of nights where I'm too tired to hang out downstairs with my Xbox, but still want to play certain games. I'd welcome streaming in that scenario. I'd also welcome it in being able to play certain games from my phone while I'm out and about.

That said, I don't think I'd want game streaming as a full replacement for physical games. It'd have to provide way more benefit than it is set to do now. Until then, it seems like a good compliment to me.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
No, not that interested. It works for movies and such, but I'm not convinced it works as well for games. Also, I haven't seen an offer I found affordable enough for me to bite.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I'm never giving up local rendering & processing, or at least not until streaming offers the same or better experience in every possible way.
I'd sooner resort to being stuck playing older games.

That's if I'm understanding what you mean by streaming here, because I really like Gamepass and the ability to have Netflix-style library of games I can download and install.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Nintendo is slow as hell to adopt new trends in the industry so I'm hoping for a few more console generations from them at the least.

I voted no I wouldn't support it but it's something I would try on the Switch if X-Cloud comes over. Other then that my support for Sony stops as soon as they go all in on streaming.

Deleted member 6511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I travel a lot and I don't want to go carry a second laptop (for gaming). I had one in the past and remember well the issues with power requirement/battery/size... I hope I can get great experience streaming from chrome.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about it, the more sure I am that there's nothing good to come of it. Even if they ever get latency, compression, etc 100% ironed out, there's always going to be a catch.

I can't wait for the day when you have the option to pay a higher sub to get better graphics or fps.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm confused at the premise OP... do you think streaming should be free? or are you just upset that your physical media is being threatened?

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
It's hard to answer given we don't know what the service will be like. What I'd like to see is how this will work for people who travel. For example, can I use a chromecast and my phone to use game streaming. I'd love to see game saves carry over. You start playing a game on PC/console at home and when you're away you can still play it over the cloud and your progress carries over.

If it's just another big box you plug in under your TV for game streaming, then I'm not interested.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Sure as long as my ISP doesn't put in data caps, the gameplay is still solid, and the price is right.

Nov 12, 2017
Must be encouraging for Ms seeing a 49.7% wanting basically gamepass on streaming mode (xB+Ninty)
Edit: the % of the pool are fucked?

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno about Google, but I'm expecting Microsoft/Sony to bundle it in LIVE/PSPlus or its dead in the water.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone saying "no I won't pay" use Netflix, or Prime Video or anything like that?

Oh, you're wondering why I'm asking? Just curious...

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
Depending on price and performance, absolutely. I never really go back through my library, so something that costs less than I am already paying with comparable performance seems to mesh with the way I now consume my movies, TV and music (which I am happy with). I still want the option to buy though...

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
No, at least not until I can get better Internet. Any of those services would be literally unplayable for me right now.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
What's up with these pretty biased polls lol?

You can enjoy playing your games natively as well as enjoy streaming them. These two aren't exclusive guys...