• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
You know the drill.

They're usually teased for a bit beforehand. Usually a very cool or very powerful character.

Then they join you.

Then they're like, "peace out" and never come back (unless you fight against them).

My favorite is probably the same as a lot of people, and I was reminded of him when I watched the TGS trailers released today.

FFVII-00308-Kalm-Flashback-Sephiroth-Battle.png

There's a few key reasons I feel like he's done so well:

+He's already established as a major villain by the time you get to play as him.
+His strength is heavily alluded to, and seen firsthand once before this event.
+This is your first real experience with the character (he has not appeared on screen before this).
+His strength is properly conveyed through gameplay mechanics. Cloud is fully controllable and starts at level 1; Sephiroth is a guest character who is controlled by the game's AI, and starts at a much higher level. He is equipped with multiple maximum level materia chock full of powerful magic, and is able to dispatch even boss enemies with ease.
+He is also displayed as calculating, cool, and intelligent during his time as a party member, effectively acting as the group leader and dispenser of wisdom.
+Because this is a flashback, it plays off of your expectations of him that have been built up to this point, both as a former hero and a force to be feared, and pulls it off with finesse.

Technically, he's not really playable, because he's controlled by AI. But he is in your party, and for quite a bit of time for a guest character, too. (Remember Beatrix from FFIX? Shows up for a battle or two and then leaves. Sephiroth is around for an entire few maps, at the least).

I wonder how the remake will handle this segment, when it gets to this point.

Who's your favorite guest character, and why?

Edit: LOL I MADE THIS THREAD A FEW WEEKS AGO AND FORGOT SORRY

(Mods, can we do it again maybe?)

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I always love the context within these scenes, but every single one of these scenes without fail has severly reduced mechanics that make the "super powerful" character actually feel weaker than the main. Kingdom Hearts immediately comes to mind. Awesome scenes in context, mechanically though they can be a bit of a mess.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the next Witcher game has Ciri as the protagonist. She was a lot more interesting than Geralt.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
In FF6, you get General Leo for a little bit, and he fuckin rocks. Plus, he's a cool dude despite being on the same side as Kefka

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Black Knight in Radiant Dawn. He is just such a sick character and killing people in one hit is always cool

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Playing as Fou-Lu in Breath of Fire 4. He kinda teases you in how bad ass Ryu can get by the end of the game.

tumblr_ogsxys7JgZ1r7sijxo1_400.gif

Mike Rambo

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
I will always love Ouka from SRW OG 2 (gba) because she was SO strong but you actually couldn't let her get any kills because she dies at the end of the single mission you get her in and your other units REALLY needed the exp. fuckin sick. Her theme was amazing though, gotta love it

Ouji

Oct 31, 2017
Beatrix - FF IX. You've already fought her a couple of times at this point which makes her joining the party so much more awesome.
latest

Injustice45

Oct 29, 2017
Upon reading the title, my first thought was Snake in Metal Gear Solid 2. Connor's Dad is another one that fits the bill, too. Lian Xing was playable for only a few missions in Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror sadly, despite having quite a few levels to herself in 2 and 3.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I have a feeling the second "Episode" of the VII Remake will start with you controlling Sephiroth during the Nibelheim flashback.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

This is right at the start of the avalanche of story content at the end of the game, and a great way to kick it off. We had already played as Riku for a short time earlier, and at this point I wasn't expecting they'd use the next playable character again. This is a great moment for Aqua and I was so pumped when it was happening.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't care of her, but Alisha in Tales of Zesteria caused a major shitstorm in Japan.

latest

Got heavy promotion, only playable for a few hours.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
If it counts -
becoming and taking control of Dormin
- in Shadow of the Colossus was a fascinating moment (contextually).

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
-Ada and Sherry in RE2
-Darth Vader in TFU
-Joker in umm all the Arkham games?
-Elena in U1 ;)

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Beatrix from FF9. Fighting alongside her after fighting against her was a super hype as hell moment and the whole fighting to clear Alexandria's streets with her and Steiner was great.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - Grimlock
tumblr_n6c1g3rkvA1qad3gso9_250.gif

Assassin's Creed Origins - Aya
tumblr_oyweyc4rnY1qcy62fo1_500.gif

Majoras Mask - Fierce Deity Link
tumblr_nl0xffzvBG1rf0hsxo2_500.gif

Hyrule Warriors - Ganondorf
ZB43XGJ.gif

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - Darth Vader
wookiee.gif

Kingdom Hearts 2 - Roxas
source.gif

And probably my favorite: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - MASTER FUCKIN HAND

2nhtha.gif

Last edited:

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Add another vote for Beatrix. She's overpowered, but not to the extent of, say, Sephiroth, or even Seymour for that one fight in X. She's just a fully kitted out party member that has been optimised in a way none of the regular cast has had the chance to be. She really would've made an outstanding permanent member, from gameplay to character development.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
danganronpa v3 you fucking know who

I fucking loved the twist but I wish it was the other way around. that person should've been around for the whole game

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This doesn't fit perfectly, because of obvious reasons, but I absolutely love the first chapter of Ace Attorney: Trials & Tribulations for this. It gives a lot of context to Phoenix' and Mia's relationship.