• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the shovelware and asset flip junk clogging up the Steam storefront (heck not even the filtering options help either), I'm really starting to dislike Steam more and more passing day that I would rather uninstall the Steam client and let my father save up some money for a used PS4 Slim. What do you guys think of this situation? =/

EDIT: Please, mods. Close this thread right now since I've changed my mind. Thanks.

Last edited:

DickHams

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not really an issue for me. I don't peruse Steam looking for games to buy, so it doesn't affect me in the least that there's a ton of shovelware out there. I find it odd that an abundance of choice is pushing you away.

Also, how old are you OP? The line about "letting" your father save up for a used PS4 slim is so strange.

ssnick37

Oct 27, 2017
I never browse randomly on the store. I hear about games from here or other places then check them out.

So the organisation of the store or shovelware affects me zero.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure shovelware and asset flip junk don't clog up your discovery queue unless you specifically go out of your way to look for them.

That said, the Steam client is fucking awful and a joke, and it needs to be updated.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
People on this site have very strange motiviations for using services sometimes it seems like. I cant imagine basing the decision of what I game on primarily because the store front is disorganized. I'm moving in the opposite direction - I'll always own a playstation, but I find myself buying things more on steam even without a top of the line machine because I know I should ALWAYS be able to have them that way..

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Another one of the thousand reasons as to why I prefer GOG. If you take a look at their store, it looks much more curated, even though it's also filled to the brim with shitty titles.

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
You could always just rely on forums like this to find recommendations instead of wading through the ocean of crap.

Unless this is a concern for your father's machine? Elaborate on that.

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Steam needs a curation. Not like the GOG's one, which rejected some good games without reason, but hard enough to avoid those shitty non-games being released on the platform. Really, there's simply too much garbage around, and the problem is some valid titles got buried under ton of crap when they release, selling poorly as a result.

razakin

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Are people literally searching for shovelware on Steam, or how they do find it? My front page never seems to show any showelware unless friends in Steam have bought it. So, in my opinion, just keep using Steam, it's not clogged at all.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't sympathize or even begin to understand, if I'm being honest with you. I'd rather play games on a PC than a PS4, personally. If that meant finding out about games on PC the same way I would on PS4 or any other platform instead of having the frankly silly expectation that Steam's frickn' first page do it for me, then, like, so be it, lol

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think you're being completely silly.

Why do you regularly look at the general storefront anyway? I almost never do that. I already know what I want to buy, from reading ERA (or GAF previously), or sometimes reddit.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay.

The shovelware and asset flip stuff usually doesn't surface on the storefront unless you're actively looking for it though.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I too was confused and angered by the myriad options on my town's Automobile Row, and so I sold my car for a bicycle.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
GoG has a surprising number of games released on it ... At the same time or very close to steam releases..

It's my first stop now over steam for any game I'm interested in. GoG is also curated and is 100% drm free so maybe worth a look, if your not aware of it.

PSN has shovelware too btw OP.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
lmao wtf? How is that a logical conclusion to make OP

PSN is littered with the same shovelware that's on Steam btw so... good luck with that

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really an issue for me. I don't peruse Steam looking for games to buy, so it doesn't affect me in the least that there's a ton of shovelware out there.

I occasionally randomly browse the store but I still never see these asset flips or shovelware. The store doesn't show those games to you unless you really go looking for them.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
One question, could you show us a picture of how the main page of steam looks for you? I havent had an issue of it being full of shovelware or assetflip games unless I am looking for them.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Block the "Indie" tag from your steam suggestions. That's what I do and it filters out a lot of the garbage. If there's a good indie game, I'll hear about it and I can find it on my own. It really cuts down on the clutter when you tell steam not to show you indie games.

OP
OP
ChunLiMorriganFan85
Thanks, guys. I would rather stick with my gaming PC than drop money on a PS4. At least I can still play games like Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition and so forth on it and even better than on PS4 as well. ;)

/thread

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I use Steam but never use the storefront. I browse specific games that I hear about on Era (thanks More_Badass!), Giant Bomb, or from friends. You can try doing the same, and then you would avoid a lot of the shovelware.

Also, go into the settings and change the default page Steam shows when you first open it to be your profile or library, and not the store's frontpage. I have Steam set to show my library, so I rarely see the front page.

RashBandicoot

Nov 3, 2017
With all the shovelware and asset flip junk clogging up the Steam storefront (heck not even the filtering options help either), I'm really starting to dislike Steam more and more passing day that I would rather uninstall the Steam client and let my father save up some money for a used PS4 Slim. What do you guys think of this situation? =/
Am I the only one not seeing this shovelware crap? I keep hearing how Steam has basically become the app store of PC games but all the games I see on sale and on the banners are fine. And I use steam everyday. In the end it depends on what games you play and that more or less determines what Steam will show you. Maybe I got lucky but I never saw any of that crappy stuff.

In all honesty PS4 is worse since it's not only getting the same quality of shovelware you see on YouTube but is loaded with ads. It's borderline unacceptable seeing how you need to pay a monthly fee to enjoy most of it.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
The purpose of any store is to sell you products, not to show you the GOOD, BEST, GREATEST products to you.

Last edited:

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I never see any of this junk / asset flips etc. My only way of finding this junk is as follows:
  • Jim Sterling
  • Reddit / Youtuber
  • Resetera
  • Physically searching for a game or scrolling through very long lists on Steam
  • A curator on Steam that specifically highlights memes / trash
  • A friend that idles for cards and therefore surfaces the game in the "friends are playing" section (my biggest gripe with Steam's surfacing tactics at the moment)
The only trash I find is from "AAA" developers / massively popular games, that in my opinion are actually shit, but I simply select not interested and move on. Actual asset filps / spam / fraud is never surfaced for me on steam (except as highlighted in the final point) - so I have a good experience in that regard.

Using preferences has been great for hiding things I know I will never buy such as dating Sims etc.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never browse randomly on the store. I hear about games from here or other places then check them out.

So the organisation of the store or shovelware affects me zero.

This. Browsing digital stores just sucks. I search for things I'm interested in and wish list them, and then buy them when I: 1) get a sale notification, 2) I'm ready to play it immediately/next, 3) the price is at or below my sweet spot for that title.

Easy, peasy.

Deleted member 300

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hows this different from google play or iphone store or the windows store. This shit is literally on every digital store and theres no stopping it. Everyone screamed for more indie games and with that your going to get shitty games with questionable material. And you cannot expect it to be curated at a reasonable pace.

Trode

Mar 27, 2018
It's definitely problematic. Tbh, I don't really browse the homepage anymore. I just use the resetera reccomendation OT as well checking the best selling steam games list.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a really ridiculous overreaction. Did people sell their ps2s or wiis due to the endless shovelware on them?

You're an enthusiast, you of all people don't *need* to browse for games you should already have a good idea what you want. Besides there are plenty of tools on steam to help you find games that are tailored to your tastes. Tools that I should mention do not exist on PSN or any consoles, so you're stuck browsing all of the shit on their stores (and they have a LOT too).

Status
Not open for further replies.