• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lacinius

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Everyone should have to work retail for at least one holiday season at some point in their lives... only then can you know... only then can you understand. *shudder* never again... never again. D:

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I love christmas too, OP. I'm with you. I am not religious in any way, but I love christmas music (even the religious ones). I don't listen to it all year round, but only because it makes me sad waiting for the holiday season!

Also, not every country celebrates Thanksgiving (in November or even at all), so I'm gonna call shenanigans on people telling EVERYONE to "wait until after Thanksgiving."

Also, I worked retail (Best Buy) for 5 years during the holidays (yes, even black friday shifts), and even that did not dampen my love. I was so excited when it came time for all the christmas songs to be pumped throughout the store.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Christmas should only be a thing once Thanksgiving is done. That's what makes it special. Saying this as someone who loves christmas hype.

Don't dilute it.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Christmas retail season...I remember it well. We were there at midnight, Black Friday, line for a mile out of the front entrance. Some of them had been waiting for hours. Waiting for us. The cold had driven them mad. I saw a man cook and eat a bat down by the JC pennies. Suddenly, the clock struck midnight, and we were thrown to the wolves. Poor Timmy, who lied about his age to join us sooner, was torn apart when we ran out of box sets of House of cards, for the only House of cards that day was the pretense of our shared humanity, knocked over and shattered into a thousand pieces, like a hammer through a $99 LCD TV. I don't know how I got away, but I'll never forget the screams, the screams of "Why don't you have any $10 microwave ovens? THE AD SAID YOU HAD MICROWAVE OVENS FOR $10!"

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
At least get through Armistice Day (November 11th) before even mentioning Christmas. My Christmas starts in December.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Well the good thing about being in rural America (I assume, this is my 1st Christmas here) is black Friday isn't a big thing unless people are willing to drive 2 hours. Biggest store in town is a Fred Meyers. I mean, this is what I assume anyways.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Christmas as an adult without kids is so weird. My parents asked me what I wanted and I said good bedsheets

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same, OP. I stopped watching football due to the whole CTE thing, but I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a part of me that wants to watch again just for all the cozy Christmas commercials that air this time of year.

KDReyes92

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I get into the Christmas spirit is Dec 23-25. Any other time Christmas can go kick rocks.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
I associate Christmas with winter, which to me means: cold, dark, miserable. I don't care at all about the holiday itself either, I've outgrown that as a child. Fake happiness and the celebration of commerce. I'm not even depressed or anything, I just really hate this season and time of the year. Thread is off to a good start, huh?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I associate Christmas with winter, which to me means: cold, dark, miserable. I don't care at all about the holiday itself either, I've outgrown that as a child. Fake happiness and the celebration of commerce. I'm not even depressed or anything, I just really hate this season and time of the year. Thread is off to a good start, huh?
My family doesn't celebrate Christmas. But what I notice about Christmas is that for just those 1-2 weeks every year, people let their guards down. Rather than being closed off from one another, strangers relax and are openly happy and welcoming. That's enough of a reason for me to celebrate and enjoy the time.

Puweyxil

Oct 28, 2017
Great, we'll get to see the annual commercial where the guy brings his wife outside to see her new car with a bow on it. I always like to imagine the wife becoming upset, telling her husband that they can't afford it and insisting they return it the following day. The whole rest of the day is spent with her telling him what poor judgement he has, and constantly speculating out loud about the negative effect it might have on their credit rating. She's also upset about the amount of deceit her husband had to engage in to purchase a car and have it delivered to their house with a bow on it on Christmas morning, all without her knowledge.

Starfighter

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I love christmas. I don't care about the religious aspect, nor the commercial one.

What I like about christmas is the warm snuggly feeling I get when the room is filled with the smell of mulled wine, hot chocolate, nuts, cinnamon, oranges and all that stuff, and I'm spending time with my family (I don't live in the same town as them). Sure, I could just as well go and spend time with them any other time of the year, but we decided christmas seems like a time when nobody is doing anything else in particular. So we get together, eat good food, have some christmas beers, play around like we were young again and watch old classic christmas movies. And the dark winter nights are the perfect backdrop for candles, open fireplaces, glitter and tiny lamps in bright colors. Add to that some christmas music (both the cheesy new stuff and the really old classics works) and perhaps a new puzzle cube under the tree with my name on it and I'm a happy bunny.

I do however wait with everything christmas until december. October is halloween, november is birthday month (both my own, my dad's and my grandmother's birthday is in november so we're occupied with that), and december is christmas.

Also, I see christmas as a sort of a break from reality. I'm so very tired from dealing with reality all the time that a brief vacation from it all is pretty nice.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Call me a Scrooge, but I think the earlier one starts holiday celebrations the impact lessens tremendously. I knew folks who started celebrating Halloween in early September and guess what? MY Halloween was ruined because of them. I was sick of it all.

I think a big chunk of early holiday folks are people trying desperately to recapture that nostalgic feeling the holidays gave them in their youth and we all suffer because of it.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Xmas can be a great three or four days spending time with family and stuffing yourself. Why people want it to last a month or two us beyond me. Its just shitty xmas songs and capitalism going into overdrive. Again, its great for a week or so but this fuckin long drived me insane. I much prefer halloween anyway.

ribm

Oct 27, 2017
There really should be a soft start date for Christmas season.
The moment you finish Thanksgiving dinner, go ahead and start playing Christmas music and put up the tree.

Every year Christmas creep gets earlier and earlier - if retailers had their way it would be Christmas season all year long.

Oct 25, 2017
Since november started I've been blasting "All I want for Christmas is you" and "Last Christmas" by Wham! on repeat 24/7; and no one, I said NO ONE, will ever stop me

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you, OP. I consider October through December all one big holiday season, but the problem with November is that thanksgiving is kind of lame and doesn't have much in the way of feel good movies/music. So I secretly don't mind when December's holiday bleeds into November a bit.

Thanksgiving needs to step its game up if it doesn't want to be over taken by christmas.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Roommate watching college football. First commercial I see comes on mentions 'holidays' and I'm ready to nope out till December 24th. I use to love Christmas as a kid too until retail reminded me that humans can be real shitbags and marketing would just love to throw holiday stuff in our faces 24/7/365.

vider

Oct 27, 2017
Slovenia
Yep. As both an atheist and someone who dislikes rampant consumerism it's an awful period of the year.

Work also. For whatever reason as a professor the fall semester is always hellish compared to the spring with administrative BS work.
Why though? You don't have to be religious and be buying tons of shit you don't need in order to enjoy the holidays.

My entire family are atheists, and we don't really buy a lot of stuff for Christmas. It's basically time to spend with your family and enjoy the little things in life.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why though? You don't have to be religious and be buying tons of shit you don't need in order to enjoy the holidays.

My entire family are atheists, and we don't really buy a lot of stuff for Christmas. It's basically time to spend with your family and enjoy the little things in life.

That's fair. My answer would be we don't need a holiday to do that and try our best to focus on friends, family and the important things in life on a daily basis.

I'm also an academic so I have a lot of flexibility for traveling various times throughout the year, so I get that holidays are more meaningful to less fortunate people with less vacation days/time off and less money to travel as often. I also have a small family and not all that many non-local people I care about visiting anyway.

David

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neo Yokio
I LOVE CHRISTMAS

Don't give me that it's a "Religious" Holiday christmas hasn''t been in religious in years its all commercialized

But is religious. Specially in countries outside the US.

I celebrate the birth of Christ and rock that Jingles all the way in Blu Ray every year.

Also, it can be religious and commercialized.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I heard a Christmas ad the other day. I was not pleased; too early for that nonsense

Anyhow, it's not Christmas for me until I see someone post some discriminatory meme on social media about how "Happy Holidays" is literally the worst. Or some "controversy" about Starbucks cups. Whichever comes first

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry

Some people do that everyday though. I always try to keep a sense of perspective and cherish time with my family. Yeah Christmas is great, but a week of the holiday is enough.