• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
How has chip and pin made the process longer?

Hell, how don't y'all already have contactless or mobile payments?
the chip readers take longer for the payment to go through. and if there is some kind of read error, you have to start the process over. it happens to me a lot, even after getting a new card.

Granted it's maybe like 8 or 10 seconds if everything goes perfectly, but in a world where contactless takes about 1 second, people quickly start to hate the chip cards.

it would be nice if you could use contactless payments everywhere, but it's absolutely not possible because a lot of places don't want to upgrade their payment systems to support it. Hell I still encounter places that only accept cash and i'm in a major city.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I admit it's been a while since I used chip and pin, but I remember it only taking like 2-3 seconds. Pop the card in, enter pin and done.

8 -10 seconds sounds crazy. Maybe because some stores are still using first gen C&P machines?

I vaguely remember some of the earliest C&P machines being pretty unreliable.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but unless i'm buying something online i'm using cash. it's easier and with all this hacking and scamming with credit cards I don't see the point of living a card life. Also interest rates aren't anything to play with. I have 1 debit card and it's for online purchases only.

I pay zero interest on all of my credit card bills.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I admit I still use cash a lot. I feel it helps me curtail my spending, so I prefer to use it.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but unless i'm buying something online i'm using cash. it's easier and with all this hacking and scamming with credit cards I don't see the point of living a card life. Also interest rates aren't anything to play with. I have 1 debit card and it's for online purchases only.

In the UK you can easily get a credit card with 0% interest for like 2 years.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How slow are the card terminals were you Ever? Literally stick my card in press a button or two and possibly sign the screen takes like 10 seconds tops.

I'm in florida so usually I have to watch the person fumble around with the machine trying to figure out what to do while I stand behind them trying to keep my eyes from rolling out of my head.

I guess that's more of a people problem though...

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
I live in a country where our technology is about 10 years behind more developed countries. We just got cards with chips last year, and I think that's only for one or two banks (out if 5). In more rural places, they don't have card machines, so it's cash only.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
You would probably be surprised at the number of people you encounter in daily life who don't even have a bank account.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never owned a checkbook, heck I don't think I even know how to write out a check properly. Apple Pay on my watch for 99% of my transactions.

Gure

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't used cash for like 3 or 4 years now with really minor exceptions where I simply could not. And yes OP, sometimes I feel like saying "it's 2017, why do you still pay in cash". Especially when ppl take ages to get their wallet out first and you're waiting in line thinking this could take seconds with a PayPass transaction.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly pay by cash but I always make sure to count my spare change BEFORE having to pay, like when I'm standing in line. It's usually faster for me than using a credit card.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
In a wallet in my butt pocket. that only account for 4ish of the cards. the other times I would lose my wallet.

That still confuses me because I've sat on my card/phone and never broke it O_o Are you sitting on daggers :P Oh wait if you're not sitting flat on it I can see how it'd bend and break but that seems like it'd be painful.

And I thankfully don't lose my wallet often. One time I forgot it and I was lucky enough that a security guard ran up to me and gave it back XD

TheTrinity

Oct 25, 2017
Most all of Europe does not use CreditCard. Why would you? Just pay for stuff with the money you have.

Well there's pretty good reasons. Let's disregard the 'building credit' thing since that seems regional. If you pay in cash for some service and it ends up being some crap, you have no protection, good luck getting the cash back. Credit card transactions can be reversed in scammy situations like that. You're also protected if someone steals your credit card and makes fraudulent charges. If someone steals your cash, it's gone, and there's no trail.
Even disregarding all that, it's worth it just for the rewards. If I'm going to pay for stuff, might as well get something back for it.

I don't really see any downsides unless there's paranoia about privacy or you're somebody who can't handle spending on credit. If you ever pay interest on a credit card you've done something wrong.

Deleted member 26684

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Physical games and movies, the ability to actually buy a real object that's not simply a service, is being thrown to the dogs. Next is the ability to actually have real money on hand and not a tenuous link like a debit card or the even-worse credit card. I literally had a card deactivated out of nowhere, either because someone harvested my number somehow or even typed in my number on accident. Card readers are so much more horrifying than somehow getting fake bills from a bank or business teller. Chips will not protect you forever.

You don't see anything wrong with rewarding people for throwing a bit of liberty away? Mobile payments, what kind of terrifying future are people concocting here? Just how many different attack vectors do people want their phones to be? American credit is the most awful thing ever, very few people are ever able to take advantage of it. There's nothing convenient about any of this. At the end of the day, "convenience" is actually a very inconvenient thing. People are so preoccupied over whether they can that they never stop to think whether they should, that sort of thing. It's also frustrating that any attempt to challenge this is seen as the ramblings of an old fart that just needs to get with the times, and not very real fears based on actual events (regardless of that person's age too).

Also, I very much agree with the "this sounds too much like it belongs on the other forum" sentiment. Then again, it also seems strange to have a thread about trying to figure out how to pronounce the site's compound name, a name that directly refers to trying to get away from that other forum...

Lysistrata

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paradise Lost
I paid by cash today just for you, OP. Counted out £4.60 in mostly small change. Everybody behind me in the queue enjoyed it as folks in the UK love waiting in line discussing payment methods.