• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Allrifght guys so I'm currently going to school to major in digital media and I really have no idea what I want to do. I've been enjoying my production and script writing classes. Yet I have this sinking feeling that this is a bad major to get and I won't get a job or make any money. I'm about half way through so it's to late to turn back. Im thinking about minoring in computer science just so I can have that as a back up plan but that's going to cost me money becuase my grant is running out soon.

Anyway I just need some advice on what to do or what jobs digital media majors can get. I really want to work in the entertainment industry. Really I'm just kind of lost at the moment and it finally kicked in about this being my life ahead of me and I'm about to have a panic attack....

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Digital media analyst. There is literally an analyst for everything. Social media analyst. Social media coordinator. You could work for new media like buzzfeed or something.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
Word of advice, speaking from similar experience.

Work your ass off with internships and network like there is no tomorrow.

If it makes you feel better, I am in this middleman now post-grad. Wondering if I should pursue my MA or go back to school for engineering.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
You'll be fine.

Can you set up lights?
Can you run camera?
Are you punctual?
Most importantly, can you wind cord properly?

Congratulations, you can be a grip/gaffer.

From there, sky's the limit. You can do freelance video work, work in news, radio, do training videos, there's a lot of stuff out there. I work in video, and even though it's a pain sometomes, it can be a lot of fun.

Edit: Make a demo reel ASAP. Doesn't matter if it's not totally incredible; you'll be building on it your whole career and it lets employers know you can finish a project.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what are you legitimately passionate about? If you work your ass off and are honest with yourself, your abilities, and where to improve them to reach a professional level, you will only up your chances of landing a job in your target industry. But again, that's where the passion comes in. It has to be something you're willing to pour tireless nights and free time on improving to have a chance. What exactly would you like to do in the entertainment industry?

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, sounds like you are committed. No point panicking. Life is pretty easy if you don't have any obligation but yourself.

After you graduate take risks while you can.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Word of advice, speaking from similar experience.

Work your ass off with internships and network like there is no tomorrow.

If it makes you feel better, I am in this middleman now post-grad. Wondering if I should pursue my MA or go back to school for engineering.

While i'm here. Go get your masters in engineering. You could work in the entertainment industry and do pretty well for yourself. Or anywhere else tbh.

OP
OP
Thewonandonly

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
I mean, what are you legitimately passionate about? If you work your ass off and are honest with yourself, your abilities, and where to improve them to reach a professional level, you will only up your chances of landing a job in your target industry. But again, that's where the passion comes in. It has to be something you're willing to pour tireless nights and free time on improving to have a chance. What exactly would you like to do in the entertainment industry?
Well right now I'm really enjoying writing scripts. So over winter break and summer break when I'm not so busy I'm going to write some for fun and hopefully improve over time.

Also I'm going to set up a councilor appointment and definitely look into getting a internship.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
While i'm here. Go get your masters in engineering. You could work in the entertainment industry and do pretty well for yourself. Or anywhere else tbh.
Well, I'd need a BS in engineering first. Graduated with a psych degree in pursue of I-O psych but I haven't been able to land anything in my target field.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The only person I know who went that route (as close to it for the time, I'm at least twelve years older than you probably) ended up working for Conan (late show) and other production type office jobs before working on internet media production, pioneering stuff which pays less but she says is more rewarding and less stressful.

And you can take a minor in general IT (was an option when I was in college) rather than outright CS and still have some paper for a decent, if soul sucking, IT job out of college until Hollywood comes knocking.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Calm, slow breathing, hand on your chest, let your eyelids rest closed. Then decide.

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in your situation OP. Majoring in Digital Media and not sure what I'll be doing when I get out. I graduate in May (maybe, I'm struggling a hell of a lot right now).

For me, I took a Digital Photography class and absolutely fell in love. Put as much money, time and effort into photography and figured it'd lead somewhere. So far, I've gotten paid for my photography, I've met amazing photographers and have built great connections, and I'm starting to get leads on future jobs. A prominent YouTuber in my town is considering me to become her video editor, for example.

In my program, the ultimate goal of a Digital Media major is to become the technician that can do a bit of everything. Take photos, edit photos, basic design, basic video editing, basic web design etc. From there, latch on to something and apply it to other fields that make sense. You want to work in entertainment? Start writing a script and shooting it as a project. Design a flyer for that project. Maybe star in your own films. These are all ways to get started, but you have to start somewhere.

OP
OP
Thewonandonly

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
I'm in your situation OP. Majoring in Digital Media and not sure what I'll be doing when I get out. I graduate in May (maybe, I'm struggling a hell of a lot right now).

For me, I took a Digital Photography class and absolutely fell in love. Put as much money, time and effort into photography and figured it'd lead somewhere. So far, I've gotten paid for my photography, I've met amazing photographers and have built great connections, and I'm starting to get leads on future jobs. A prominent YouTuber in my town is considering me to become her video editor, for example.

In my program, the ultimate goal of a Digital Media major is to become the technician that can do a bit of everything. Take photos, edit photos, basic design, basic video editing, basic web design etc. From there, latch on to something and apply it to other fields that make sense. You want to work in entertainment? Start writing a script and shooting it as a project. Design a flyer for that project. Maybe star in your own films. These are all ways to get started, but you have to start somewhere.
Hey thank you for that advice. Mabey I should write a script for this movie idea I've had that's pretty simple to film and I can see if I can get that rolling. I also enjoyed making posters and logo's and stuff so I can design poster's for my scripts :)

Thanks for the advice everyone I'm calming down after studying during my lunch. I guess I'm stressed becuase I got two exams in non major classes so I have a hard time in those classes. It's all very helpful so thank again :)

Oct 27, 2017
If you're young and eager, you can land a job in film, you just have to be willing to move to a city/state with an active tax credit program (NYC, Atlanta, New Orleans, LA, Cincinnati, Albuquerque, etc) and hound the city/state film commission website for upcoming features with e-mails for resumes. Land a PA gig either on set or in the Production Office, the whole job is basically like fetch questing for people, but you'll meet and establish rapport with almost all the crew. Whatever field you want to get into, just get chummy with whatever department is doing what you want to do, and if you establish a history of general amiability, people will think of you when they hear about an opportunity opening up.

If you're interested in writing, get an Office PA gig. There's not really a clear promotion chain in Production that I've noticed, but it's usually something like:
PA > Production Secretary > APOC (Assistant Production Office Coordinator) > *optional* Travel Coordinator (is miserable, easily most thankless job in office. I never have nor will ever do it.) > Production Office Coordinator

Somewhere in that spectrum, depending on how well-liked and memorable you've made yourself, you'll have made all the contacts you need to get a job running a Writer's Room for TV. You won't have to pawn off your scripts to anyone, you'll just have to make yourself an indispensable and beloved fixture to all those around you, a beacon of competence, and then simply mention one day that you like to tinker on some stuff in your spare time, and your office chums will practically beg for your script, and be proud of you if it is good.

That's just one of a million ways to get there. It just depends on how lucky/persistent you are.