• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So I feel like being irresponsible and replacing my Samsung S8 with something shiny and new

What should I get?

Android, I already have an iPhone for work
Under 300 new, I'm a poor boy
Something that will last a year or so
Hit me with them recs, go~

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

ToolsOverviewAnimationWEBSITE.gif

all you need is an alarm to know when to read the weekly box office thread

SamFisher777

Oct 27, 2017
What about the Xiaomi Mi 9T? Crazy specs for about $300. Reviews seem very positive too. There is a small custom software layer but it seems like it's just some slight annoyances in UI. OnePlus 7 is also a solid choice, with no custom software, but is a bit more pricey (and the OnePlus 7 Pro is really what you want anyway).

Amazon link for Mi 9T

If you're a little cautious on those, Pixel 3a is very solid but it's not a huge upgrade over S8+. Amazing camera though.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What about the Xiaomi Mi 9T? Crazy specs for about $300. Reviews seem very positive too. There is a small custom software layer but it seems like it's just some slight annoyances in UI. OnePlus 7 is also a solid choice, with no custom software, but is a bit more pricey (and the OnePlus 7 Pro is really what you want anyway).

Amazon link for Mi 9T

If you're a little cautious on those, Pixel 3a is very solid but it's not a huge upgrade over S8+. Amazing camera though.
Seconding the Mi 9T

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
If you want to go poorer, you can get a Xiaomi Redmi note 7 for about 200 bucks after tax. It's a pretty good phone, I'm using it right now.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in love with the new Nokia lineup. The 8.1 seems like a pretty decent phone. It's part of the Android One program too. Best value will probably be an Asian brand though.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Xiaomi 9T looks intriguing, I HATE notches that aren't water drop so that intrigues me too

Was thinking this too, bad luck with Motos for me but still

Xiaomi phones aren't compatible with T-Mobile. Your only reasonable new options under $300 are phones you buy from T-Mo itself, Motorola (G6/G7), or Nokia (6.x/7.x).

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I just placed an order for the 9T pro, after loads of research. It pretty much ticks every box of what I was looking for, although I would prefer something closer to aosp (and I'll probably dabble in custom ROMs when it's better supported by something like lineageOS).

The regular 9T is a bit cheaper, and main difference is it has a less high end cpu/gpu, and at least one of the camera sensors is a lower resolution variant, but yeah if you don't need/want the high end 855 then I think the 9T is a solid option.

Nice to get a midrange budget, high spec phone with a 3.5mm port.

I can provide more impressions when it arrives next week, but I have been impressed with xiaomi devices in the past (in upgrading from a Mi A1), and reviews are all very positive.

In the UK at least, I didn't have to pay much more at all for the 9T Pro vs a 9T, but I don't know what prices are like elsewhere, and the 9T is no slouch either.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xiaomi phones are compatible with T-Mobile, but they only support a limited number of the LTE bands that T-Mobile provides. The main LTE band that T-Mobile uses for densely populated areas is band 4, which Xiaomi supports. So if you live in a city, you'd be fine. But if you go out to the country, then you'd be on 3G.

I'm on a Xiaomi Mi A2 on Mint Mobile (uses the T-Mobile network) and I like it a lot. The Mi A3 made a weird choice of going with a 720p display, but I think I would still recommend it. It looks really pretty, at least.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
I'm not sure there exists a $300 phone that's better than an S8 unless you get one of those questionable Chinese phones that are compatible with like half of our bands at most.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Bronson screams poor in every thread, but outside of Resetera he is always talking about trips he is on or new shit he is getting delievered

ArtTeitlebaum

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Xiaomi 9T / Pro has great specs. I'm not the biggest fan of the MIUI, but it's of course just a matter of taste.
Alternative could be a Samsung A70. Great screen and good battery and the cameras are not bad at all. Plus an SD slot for those who need it.

Kounce

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
Xiaomi phones are compatible with T-Mobile, but they only support a limited number of the LTE bands that T-Mobile provides. The main LTE band that T-Mobile uses for densely populated areas is band 4, which Xiaomi supports. So if you live in a city, you'd be fine. But if you go out to the country, then you'd be on 3G.

I'm on a Xiaomi Mi A2 on Mint Mobile (uses the T-Mobile network) and I like it a lot. The Mi A3 made a weird choice of going with a 720p display, but I think I would still recommend it. It looks really pretty, at least.

Would you get VoLTE with the Mi9T on Tmobile?

Think the A50 is a good grab for under 300, has most of the bands for Tmobile except 77.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would you get VoLTE with the Mi9T on Tmobile?

Think the A50 is a good grab for under 300, has most of the bands for Tmobile except 77.

I'm not sure which band T-Mobile uses for VoLTE, but I ported my number to Google Voice and use VoIP on my phone through there. I'm not sure how you feel about that, but it is an option.

Edit: It looks like T-Mobile uses band 12 for VoLTE, based on a cursory internet search. Don't quote me on it, though.