• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Does anyone remember the days when the biggest argument you had was over a video game?

When the biggest problem you had was that one kid who called you fat or a loser in school?

When all you did after school was play Halo with your friends?

When you could make friends with someone and instantly bond over a stupid TV show?

It's always politics, jobs, or some other draining shit now. Problems are crushing and you seem to have to worry about everyone's agenda.

I'm tired. I'm tired of this constant battle. It's not like we ever all got along, but come on, man.

I've made threads like this before, I think, I don't really remember. But the older I get the bigger the rift grows, the darker the world gets.

I just want everyone to get along and be happy about a stupid TV show again.

Post something that makes you feel good ERA, I think we all need a pick me up for one reason or another, even if it's not for this existential dread I'm feeling

I found this video and the visuals amuse me greatly

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely get that OP. It's why I have a group chat where I just talk nerd shit like I did when I was a kid, and obviously being on a video game forum helps tie me to that too.

but yes, I am oh so very tired

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, kind of, but this also depends on how much privilege you had growing up. I had tons of childhood trauma, so I had horrible things to worry about as a kid. Of course there were fun moments and I was also better off than way worse kids like the ones at school who didn't have food at home. Just saying that the "glory days of childhood" are extremely subjective. I have enjoyed my 20s far more than I ever enjoyed childhood even with all the games I had that kept me company as a kid to distract me from abuse and trauma.

There's something special though about playing N64 with some adult friends and drugs/alcohol, if desired. So yeah, getting high or buzzed and playing some smash and Mario kart is a favorite adult activity of mine. Also sex. Didn't have that as a kid lol

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
It's about who you surround yourself with. Just need to go to places that have people who share your same interests. You can still have those same kind of interactions that you used to, just need to find the right people.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Ahh, to be a child again.
Everything was all so simple.
When the natural high you got from getting a new video game was like a drug.
Mystery Dungeon Rescue team was one of those games. I remember how excited I was when mum said she'd buy it for me.
And now, the remake is about to release.
Time to relive some tasty childhood memories.
Nostalgia ho!

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
welcom to the "I'm sick & tired of being sick and tired"

it is what it is tho for minorites....to make me feel better I watch the occasional salty/fails smash compilations on youtube! enjoy!!

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
One makes me smile, the other makes my cry from how hard it makes me laugh.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
same
i wish people would shut the fuck up about all the bullshit for just one day.
i feel like everyday i wake up feeling good and positive and then it goes to shit quickly once someone starts talking about the days bullshit.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Those of us who lived a privileged childhood got older and saw the world with our own eyes. It's always been like this, we just finally had our eyes opened.

Sometimes I wish I stayed ignorant, when "times were simpler". Then I remember that I have a transgender girlfriend that I love with all my heart and wouldn't give her up for anything else in the world, because young ignorant me would have been repulsed by current me's decision to date a trans girl.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just want everyone to get along and be happy about a stupid TV show again.
I'd love to but the world's need to maintain dominance over the status quo by manipulating a bunch of crazies into antagonizing me using a bunch of bullshit about entitlement from birth to ensure that I never improve enough to compromise the power of the higher ups won't let me so I deal with it as it comes.

Anyway here's a funny video

It's always been like this, we just finally had our eyes opened.
That's what happens when you kill Rom

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
For me, personally, one thing I miss past young childhood is that "college free time." By that, I mean like a Friday evening when you're in college and don't have to work the next day or whatever.

Ostensibly, that's what my Friday nights are like right now, but it's absolutely not the same. In college, it'd be X o'clock on Friday, and someone would randomly say something like "Hey, wanna watch [movie]?" and we'd all be like "yeah!" and order a pizza and watch, not a care in the world. Maybe we'd go out later. Who knows? Who cares?

Now, my mind is like "Okay, it's 8:15 now. If I watch a movie, it's going to be 10:15 when I finish, then I'll only have enough time to..." Combine that with thoughts like, "Well, I've already seen this movie, so I should watch something new instead of waste these two hours, but I don't even know what I want to watch and..." whereas in college, we'd watch our favorite comedy 20-30 times, who cares?

I imagine it's a factor of being young enough that you have your entire life to do shit ahead of you, plus that "gonna live forever" thing that young people don't literally believe, but kind of act like they do.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Fuck this hits home for me.

EDIT: It's doubly sad that I get so stressed out about the world I can't even really enjoy video games anymore. Maybe once a year something will catch my interest, but I just don't have the attention span for most games anymore.

Wait you mean this tweet wasn't written for me??? lol yeah these were definitely the good days and damn do I miss them. :(

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
With everything that is going on in the world now, it's definitely important to take the time now and again to relax and ease your mind. No matter what, don't let the weight of the world consume you, and prioritize yourself and your mental/emotional wellbeing above all else.

That's the only way I've been able to live these past few years, at least.

Here, have a laugh:

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
OP, I know you said you're sick of politics, but you want us to post things that make us happy, so I'm posting this:

I come back to this video when I feel despair, to stay motivated.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Try to separate yourself from negative people or places. That's why I'm barely here anymore other than in threads about specific topics where I can talk to specific people - I've seen more sadness on this site today than I've experienced in the month I spent away from it recently, sans one or two things that I won't share cause they're kinda negative lol.

But yeah OP, do what will make you the most happy. Step away from this site or things drenched in politics for a bit, do some self care and stuff, hoping for the best, dude <3

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I was a closeted gay growing up so life is much better now.

Try to separate yourself from negative people or places. That's why I'm barely here anymore other than in threads about specific topics where I can talk to specific people - I've seen more sadness on this site today than I've experienced in the month I spent away from it recently, sans one or two things that I won't share cause they're kinda negative lol.

But yeah OP, do what will make you the most happy. Step away from this site or things drenched in politics for a bit, do some self care and stuff, hoping for the best, dude <3

Pretty much, there's no shortage of negative hyperboles and it's obviously getting to people here.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Got rid of the toxic people around me 3 month ago and now I'm focusing on art and game making. Feels like I'm 15 again.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I get you. I can't really add anything of value. I just feel this so hard. I just want to waste my life doing pointless shit that I happen to love. But here I am, in a fucking slope, constantly pushing against a boulder of fascism, injustice and all my personal responsibilities that keep stacking up. I want to be a dog in dappled sunlight, a slow wind brushing against the treetops. Not this crooked spine conforming to a broken chair.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
::stares in black man in america::

Nah, don't recall.

Heh...

For me, personally, one thing I miss past young childhood is that "college free time." By that, I mean like a Friday evening when you're in college and don't have to work the next day or whatever.

Ostensibly, that's what my Friday nights are like right now, but it's absolutely not the same. In college, it'd be X o'clock on Friday, and someone would randomly say something like "Hey, wanna watch [movie]?" and we'd all be like "yeah!" and order a pizza and watch, not a care in the world. Maybe we'd go out later. Who knows? Who cares?

Now, my mind is like "Okay, it's 8:15 now. If I watch a movie, it's going to be 10:15 when I finish, then I'll only have enough time to..." Combine that with thoughts like, "Well, I've already seen this movie, so I should watch something new instead of waste these two hours, but I don't even know what I want to watch and..." whereas in college, we'd watch our favorite comedy 20-30 times, who cares?

I imagine it's a factor of being young enough that you have your entire life to do shit ahead of you, plus that "gonna live forever" thing that young people don't literally believe, but kind of act like they do.

Ah, college free time. My girlfriend's been teasing me about this lately. How I start calculating how much time there really is to just either sleep late, watch or movie, or just game until late.

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I totally got you OP.

I also remember and miss the "good times" when you come home from school, you don't have to worry about anything and play some video games. Nowadays I got about an hour a day at best for games. Some days I don't even have that hour. Even on weekends with doing some adult stuff like buying food, cleaning the house, paying bills and so on my time to play video games is around 2 or 3 hours a day.

What makes me feel good nowadays? Taking a walk with my dog. Enjoing the silence in the nature.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I wish I had a childhood decent enough to feel nostalgia like this.

Also try a meetup group or something. Find people who actively want to talk about things that aren't draining. They exist, but they're not gonna just present themselves to you.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I was a closeted gay growing up so life is much better now.

Pretty much, there's no shortage of negative hyperboles and it's obviously getting to people here.

It's not even the hyperbole sometimes. I saw like 3 suicide threads on here today. It was emotionally exhausting so I'm not likely to post here much anymore. Might even leave for good at some point, idk.

Oct 30, 2017
1) Only surround yourself with people you like.
2) Pursue your hobbies and things you just like. Drop things you don't like.
3) 'Block' internet stuff; use adblock to disable certain sections of a page or even block entire sites. OR cut down your internet time and go offline more.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
try to get into a good sleep rhythm. i know it helped me brighten my mood even when things look bleak. also helps stopping being actually tired :p

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
That's life. You'll eventually get to the point where you're too tired to wake up, and then it's over.

Anyway, I've got my cats. They keep me happy :)

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
My secret is that I don't worry about any shit unless it directly impacts my immediate life.
Then I see about fixing it (like right now I am getting my car fixed which impacts me cause I have to take the trains and stuff) and move on.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Things have been fucked for centuries under colonialism and capitalism. All we can do now is work for a better future, and yes, take rest when we need.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My secret is that I don't worry about any shit unless it directly impacts my immediate life.
Then I see about fixing it (like right now I am getting my car fixed which impacts me cause I have to take the trains and stuff) and move on.
This is honestly the secret. Well that and imho having someone who loves you unconditionally to take care of that depends on you. Be it family or a pet.

Girder_Shade

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
Limit your social media activity. Also detox from electronic devices at least once a week spend a day without your phone if possible. It's been proven that excess use is tied to increased anxiety, depression and stress.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
You don't need to get involved in every serious debate.

I'm also depressed these days, but some videos never fail to make me laugh

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Tired? Get some rest, maybe some downtime or a vacation, and then wake up and start engaging the world again.

I sometimes feel the way you describe too (I'm sure everyone does), but I don't buy the solutions that encourage further escapism or filtering only for things that directly affect you.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, adulthood sucks. Adults lie to kids about it so you spend your entire youth wishing you were older and then it comes and you realize it's a scam. Everything sucks and then you die, motto helps keep me grounded and not stress about most things. Just try and have some fun before it's all over and be nice to each other

Starshaped

Banned
Jun 11, 2019
It's because of this I took a step back from politics, to a degree, I know I'm on the right side and I'll never stop fighting for the right causes. But absorbing so much information about things like Trump and Brexit, and watching things like the rallies and debates was starting to have a serious effect on my mental health. It's not healthy.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
This is honestly the secret. Well that and imho having someone who loves you unconditionally to take care of that depends on you. Be it family or a pet.
Having my GF and my family is a huge boon yes. Not everyone has that support structure and I know I am very blessed.
I also have friends that care about me too.
Probably means I am playing on "easy mode" so don't take my talk as gospel. I know not everyone is in a situation like that.