• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Surround yourself with positive things and people as much as possible. Don't talk to sad sacks and don't spend too much time in depressing settings of any kind when you can help it.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
The deluge of negative topics ("famous well-liked hero X dies" "notable asshole Y who doesn't deserve their fame does something disgusting" "powerful Z with tons of money pushes for dehumanization of social groups") that happen sporadically don't help. When they flood the first page they can bring a sense of hopelessness and defeatism to some members.

I think threads should be tagged with some tags being positive and others being negative. Even a handful of ones like "uplifting", "serious", "funny", and "casual" would suffice. And members should be given the ability to view a maximum number of threads of a given tag generated per week. This would give member-specific views of this forum catered to a member's needs (to get motivated, to criticize stuff, etc). It would benefit this forum's vulnerable members.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Ah, college free time. My girlfriend's been teasing me about this lately. How I start calculating how much time there really is to just either sleep late, watch or movie, or just game until late.
Haha, I've been made fun of a few times, myself. But I pretty much do this 100% of my free Friday evenings and Saturdays.

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I have nightmares about high school constantly. To think about the economy and other world problems gives me far less stress.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
The only thing that makes me nostalgic for my childhood is music. When I think of the '90s, I think of all the stuff I missed out on because I was too young, didn't have money, or simply wasn't interested in at the time. I never played GoldenEye. The only RPG I played was Super Mario RPG. I didn't see Terminator 2 until I was 28. There's a boatload of live action sitcoms I never watched. I had to care about my grades. I had to care about bullies. I had to care about doing a good job at cleaning my bathroom. If I'm going to go through that decade again, it has to be as an adult.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I've been actively trying to avoid politics, news, and discussion around those things more and more. It's impossible to cut out completely though. It is important after all.

The last several months I've been playing a lot of guitar again, listening to music a ton more, reading about it, and just learning more about it. My stress levels are definitely lower since.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
It's called getting older and just maturing, sadly. I wish I could be young enough just to fuck around again.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
My actual life is probably better than its ever been, I quite like where my life is now. I do dislike social media and forums like this, they're addictive and take more away than they add I feel. Everyone would likely be better off spending less time online

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Everyday OP. Closing all social media accounts was a great start, but now I'm too much of a recluse that I don't see my friends much anymore or choose to go make new ones.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
For me, personally, one thing I miss past young childhood is that "college free time." By that, I mean like a Friday evening when you're in college and don't have to work the next day or whatever.

Ostensibly, that's what my Friday nights are like right now, but it's absolutely not the same. In college, it'd be X o'clock on Friday, and someone would randomly say something like "Hey, wanna watch [movie]?" and we'd all be like "yeah!" and order a pizza and watch, not a care in the world. Maybe we'd go out later. Who knows? Who cares?

Now, my mind is like "Okay, it's 8:15 now. If I watch a movie, it's going to be 10:15 when I finish, then I'll only have enough time to..." Combine that with thoughts like, "Well, I've already seen this movie, so I should watch something new instead of waste these two hours, but I don't even know what I want to watch and..." whereas in college, we'd watch our favorite comedy 20-30 times, who cares?

I imagine it's a factor of being young enough that you have your entire life to do shit ahead of you, plus that "gonna live forever" thing that young people don't literally believe, but kind of act like they do.
God damnit I feel this so hard. Especially the time thing. I am always thinking in increments of time now.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
This has always been a issue, you just weren't aware of it when as a child but it's something parents had to go through and as adults we have to face them too

It's not just government/law politics - can be class wise/monetary and even religious.

Which is why I usually just stick me and my family to ourselves and not get involved with groups like that

I personally stay away from chat groups for that reason too

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't a "better time" for me, but the N46 gaming sessions were an occasional happy island :-)

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
What can help is if you can manage to only focus on the problems and situations you have a chance of solving or or even chance of some improvement. Don't ignore all the other issues entirely, but compartimentalize things and break them down into smaller things you can deal with. Be aware, but don't despair.

It's all easier said than done for a lot of us of course. Some of us have significant mental health problems, or other issues that act as significant roadblocks.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who wants the feeling of that Goldeneye tweet again, pick up a fighting game and join your local FGC. Thank me later.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Good in all,
In the satisfaction and aplomb of animals,
In the annual return of the seasons,
In the hilarity of youth,
In the strength and flush of manhood,
In the grandeur and exquisiteness of old age,
In the superb vistas of Death.

Wonderful to depart;
Wonderful to be here!
The heart, to jet the all-alike and innocent blood!
To breathe the air, how delicious!
To speak! to walk! to seize something by the hand!
To prepare for sleep, for bed—to look on my rose-color'd flesh;
To be conscious of my body, so satisfied, so large;
To be this incredible God I am;
To have gone forth among other Gods—these men and women I love.

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoy walking my dog and listening to heavy metal, but dear lord, I feel so alone.

Like how many interests can I shoehorn onto myself as a form of distraction.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
I feel you OP. It's a lot and at times like this it's hard to function normally.

I wanted to share this

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I mean obviously.

4 fucking rumble packs?

That is peak living. Its obvious that what goes up must go down.

You should be glad to have gotten to live that rumble life instead of regretting that it could not last forever.

It's cool if you only had one official rumble pak since it's my/your house, and three shitty bootleg knockoffs from Software Etc because if they don't like it, they can shell out the big bucks for the real one.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
It's cool if you only had one official rumble pak since it's my/your house, and three shitty bootleg knockoffs from Software Etc because if they don't like it, they can shell out the big bucks for the real one.
Getting that shit 3rd party controller when you went over to your friends house...

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm at the best point of my life being married to someone rad who I can indulge with in all the fun hobbies and interests, spend much less time on social media like this forum or Twitter/Instagram/Facebook, have a good job, and my relations with others is only getting better, so I get no pull from wallowing in no responsibility nostalgia.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Personally I just wish I had more interest in my hobbies and not feel wore down every day. It seems like I spend more time on the weekends just doing nothing because I need a break from being super busy during the week. Like it's a struggle to sit down and enjoy a film or play a game and instead I just stare blankly at cycling youtube videos and try to pass the time without actually thinking about much at all.

God I need a break.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Meh to Goldenaye and 4 rumble packs. This was the life.

1200px-PlayStation-Multitap-Adaptor.jpg

wwf_smackdown.jpg

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I had a good childhood parents family wise but not school wise. I hated school because I was teased every day, called names, had stuff put in my hair and had very few friends. By senior year I signed notes with my parents name to get out of school early, I was just tired of it all. The school did nothing and there was nothing my parents could do to end the harassment. I had zero self esteem and I hated myself. My grandmother also hated me because I was a girl and made it clear throughout my life until her death that I was lesser than my older brother and that he was her favorite.

As bad as the world is right now, I like my life better. I have left school behind, found a few friends I enjoy, have an amazing husband, my own house and great pets. I do not have people in my life that cause pain or create drama. I have a great relationship with my parents too.

Deleted member 26909

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Shit is tiring. Even as a kid it was tiring. Growing up mixed in a white neighbourhood kept me hyper self aware even when I wasn't actively being insulted.

So it was important to find what re-energized me so that I could take on the world again. A lot of that was super heroes and anime. I loved seeing the protagonist get beat up but always get back up. It inspired me to do the same in spite of all these things that made me tired.

This is silly and always makes me laugh with a small taste of "don't give up."