• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I correct to assume that you toss your money on the counter for the employee to fetch instead of handing it to them like they're a human being?
I think they're arguing the point that someone was banned for saying "black person" but someone wasnt for saying "white person" Now I dont see the racism with that but if I'm in the wrong I'll 100% eat my crow pie and shut the fuck up.

Deleted member 61909

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2019
My co-worker is from Russia but she LOVES being American. She considers herself more american than Russian tbh. She has a very thick accent so every time I'm working with her without fail a customer asks her where's she's from. She will usually say "I'm from here" and will leave it at that unless they pry.
Had a white man insist recently I must have a bunch of kids because apparently that's a past time for black women. Like.... Sir, this is a pharmacy. Mentioned it to my white pharmacist who insisted he must've been joking. I gave up that day.

Speaking of which, I made another dude mad recently because I didn't put his change in his hand. And that's because he threw it down on the counter first.

Free Allyship Hack for white American folks: DO NOT put the money down on the counter for non-white folks to fetch it for you. It is amazingly rude. Double fuck you if you hold your hand out expecting me to put the change/credit card in your hand.
this is my pet peeve. They see my hand extended out and they'll still just toss it on the counter. Whenever people do that to me I just do it back. I got a few "looks" a few time but nothing escalates than that. Just hand me the damn material.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Lucky for me i do calls mainly so they don't see me but I do get customer's who make suggestive racist remarks.

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Persistent modwhining, dismissive commentary and 'reverse racism' rhetoric in a thread about racism. Account in junior phase.
Am I correct to assume that you toss your money on the counter for the employee to fetch instead of handing it to them like they're a human being?
You banned a person for mentioning skin colour yet you do likewise. You banned someone who was made feel uncomfortable and had the power to confront it in public. Is #metoo a thing only if the alleged accuser is white and a man? I thought we we better than that.

As for your petty response there, no I don't. I worked in retail for years and I current work for a government department with continuous dealings with the public. I understand how to talk/deal with people. Your quick jump to deflect and accuse me without explaining your position leads me to believe that some of the poor customer interactions may be your own making.

Either rescind the ban for the other person or take the hit and face the banhammer. Don't take the coward's way out and ban me for threadwhining, as you'll only be proving my point.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Best story I have is when I worked at a Quiznos. A customer ordered the beef dip which was just bun, swiss cheese, roast beef and the au juis dip. As I am wrapping it up while he is paying the customer says "What, I don't get any toppings?" not even in an angry way. I explain that all of Quiznos subs have a specific recipe and the beef dip recipe doesn't call for any but I would be happy to put on whatever he wanted.

He say "no no give it here" he picks it up, opens the door, and chucks it across parking lot and walks away ranting like crazy. His teenage daughter who was with him says "DAD, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?' Then says to me "sorry, he's just drunk" and runs after him.

I felt bad for her.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You banned a person for mentioning skin colour yet you do likewise. You banned someone who was made feel uncomfortable and had the power to confront it in public. Is #metoo a thing only if the alleged accuser is white and a man? I thought we we better than that.

As for your petty response there, no I don't. I worked in retail for years and I current work for a government department with continuous dealings with the public. I understand how to talk/deal with people. Your quick jump to deflect and accuse me without explaining your position leads me to believe that some of the poor customer interactions may be your own making.

Either rescind the ban for the other person or take the hit and face the banhammer. Don't take the coward's way out and ban me for threadwhining, as you'll only be proving my point.
You're cute.

Go contact an administrator about a ban I actually had nothing to do with.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you were in the states and you said "Saury" instead of "Sorry" and the person says "Oh you sound Canadian". Would that be rude?
Sounds like you are sick of people noticing your cultural heritage based on your appearance. That doesn't make people rude.

That is a bullshit argument you got there. It is rude for somebody to insinuate you are foreign based on your skin color. Do you know how demeaning it is to be considered foreign in your home? To be treated as an "other" when you have been raised in this place your whole life and have just as much claim to it as the person asking "where do you come from"

Somebody asking about an accent which IS regionally tied =/= somebody asking about your country of origin based on your skin color considering minorities are everywhere in the world regardless of their ethnic or cultural background

Last edited:

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
You're cute.

Ugh.. Hate these kind of responses from people in charge. You're supposed to be above that. Also, how was he to know you did not ban him?

Maybe some more transparency with some bans would be nice. But whatever.

sugururu

Apr 16, 2019
The other day I had the displeasure of having to listen to a customer vent at me for about ten minutes (during the Valentine's Day rush, nonetheless). While she wasn't outright rude, she did lapse into some very uncomfortable territory, she started off on some rant about how she was remodeling her home, but then escalated that into evangelical religious talk, proclaiming that god had given her the gift to "sense when people were going to die", and how she'd sent flowers to people she sensed were going to die before said people died. Then she segued into nattering that included a shitton of homophobia about how the Methodist church was divisive about lgbt people, which started out with her being mildly homophobic and escalated into virulent hatred of lgbt people, how "the church was only meant to honor the pairing of a man and a woman", and how much she hated rainbow iconography being co opted by lgbt people, how sinful she thought it was. It was very uncomfortable, one of my coworkers was standing behind this woman trying to take action and get her to stop talking to me, she almost said something- but she couldn't intervene and I had to listen to the customers entire rant, which made me feel immensely grossed out. I checked her items out after finally convincing her to stop ranting.

I'm not religious, I'm a spiritualist who really hates churches (if there is a god, then why do you need to go to a house of worship to believe in said god? Since I was forced into religious school as a kid I hated church, I was an atheist for a few years, now I'm more of an "if there's a god I don't think organized religion is a way to worship that god" kind of person, I see god as more of a state of mind rather than a tangible being) and institutionalized religion... but our store sells religious merchandise, despite not being a religious store, so I have to deal with bigoted people from time to time who say the most disgusting things, we've also sold pro lgbt merchandise and feminist stuff and those kinds of customers often go out of their way to project their hatred of marginalized people onto employees if they see that merchandise. It's very uncomfortable because I am bisexual, most of my closest friends are lgbt, and I am absolutely disgusted that people can still think like this. And mind that, a retail service person isn't yours to rant to about your political or social beliefs, especially when you know they can't say anything to counter your bullshit without getting fired.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh.. Hate these kind of responses from people in charge. You're supposed to be above that.
Actually, I'm not. Questions and appeals about specific bans go to higher-ups.

Also, how was he to know you did not ban him?
He wasn't, which is why he shouldn't have stepped foot to me like I was the one who did the ban. And even if I was the one who did, the above still applies.

You are also free to contact an administrator.

Oct 26, 2017
You're cute.

I imagine since Resetera doesn't say who issued the ban on our end and you responded around the same time in the thread, logic would dictate that it was you issuing the ban.

I also note your inability to explain yourself again. I hope you're more restrained in your manners when dealing with the public.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine since Resetera doesn't say who issued the ban on our end and you responded around the same time in the thread, logic would dictate that it was you issuing the ban.
You know what they say about assumptions.

I also note your inability to explain yourself again.
I can't explain myself when I haven't done anything.

You are still free to contact an administrator about the ban, and even my behavior.

Deleted member 61909

Banned
Dec 5, 2019

I also note your inability to explain yourself again. I hope you're more restrained in your manners when dealing with the public.
So you just targeted the first POC mod you see and open fire?

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Customer: "I'd like 25 of these items, please."

- Ma'am, there is a limit of 1 per customer.

Customer: "WELL, I WANT 25 OF THEM!"

- I'm sorry, but there's a limit. I can't sell you 25, ma'am. Then there would be 1 happy customer and 24 customers wondering why they can't purchase an advertised sale item.

Customer: "I WILL GO OUTSIDE AND COME BACK INSIDE 25 TIMES!"

- Let me get a manager for you.

Manager, instantly without any thought or discussion whatsoever: "Let her have it."

Customer: *leaves smirking ear-to-ear*

Customer #2: "WHY DON'T YOU HAVE THIS ITEM?! IT'S IN YOUR AD!!"

Retail is filled with fantastic, supportive, completely sane people.

Oct 25, 2017

I do wish I could be as bold as some, especially when i'm wrong

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Had a lady yell at my friend because he locked the door in front of her and apparently we have to keep the place open all night.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no point in mentioning race unless you feel it was pertinent to the conclusion you wanted others to take from your statement

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It took me a while to realise, when I was younger, that when some says to you 'Oh I thought you were white' after meeting them for the first time or saying my name over the phone that I was talking to a racist.

Sad part is that no doubt that was considered a compliment which I implicitly accepted...

Not something I like to ponder on

ps3ud0 8)

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Once had a lady trying to exchange out beer that was expired. It's illegal to exchange or process returns for alcohol in wi. Signs everywhere. Eventually i looked at it and explained that the date on the package was the "brewed on" date, not an expiration date. She still didnt accept it and stormed off after a few more minutes of demanding we exchange it. Left it on the counter, too.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
My favorite was when i was swamped with customers and a line and someone yelled out to me from across the store and called me racist for following him all around the store which never happened because i was too busy to even notice he existed to even leave my register.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
The worst is when customers yell at you when you are in the middle of helping someone else. It's one thing being a rude POS to me that's expected, but you are rude to everyone else around you and are a being a selfish bastard.

"You'll never see me again!"
I'm so sad. :'( if only that was ever true.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Asking someone where theyre from is the nicer way of saying 'what are you.' And 'what's your ethnicity' is too wordy and formal sounding.
Obviously they aren't asking the status of your citizenship.

Last edited:

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Customer: *brings an assortment of medicines to the counter* Can you explain how all of these work? I want to know the best one to take for back pain.

Me, a 19 year old cashier at Walgreens: I can't tell you much about these, so you should check in the back with the pharmacy. They'll definitely be able to help you.

Customer: Don't you work here? Why don't you know? That's the problem with this country, nobody takes their work seriously.

Me: I...I'm 19.
Literally had the exact same thing happen to me when i worked at walgreens in college. Like how I am supposed to know what some drug does? I just stock the shelves and ring people out.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I love when customers think this means anything other than a celebration is about to happen in the breakroom that they don't have to deal with them anymore.
My personal favourite was always 'I'm taking my business elsewhere!', as if an irregular purchase of something worse less than the hourly rate with a profit margin of a tiny percentage of that was going to lead to deep, long-standing feelings of regret rather than a momentary reaction of 'god yes, please, please do'.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I think they're arguing the point that someone was banned for saying "black person" but someone wasnt for saying "white person" Now I dont see the racism with that but if I'm in the wrong I'll 100% eat my crow pie and shut the fuck up.

I'm going to assume you're American, and even if you weren't I'm sure you can see the race power dynamics at play in those posts with some knowledge of History. They're not remotely the same situations.

Oct 27, 2017

- I'm sorry, but there's a limit. I can't sell you 25, ma'am. Then there would be 1 happy customer and 24 customers wondering why they can't purchase an advertised sale item.

Manager, instantly without any thought or discussion whatsoever: "Let her have it."

This is the absolute worst and any and all managers that do this need to be burned.

If I'm an employee that's standing by the rules and guidelines of the store and a manager wants to acquiesce a dip shit customer, that manager should have the human decency to ring that person up and deal with it rather than have me do it with egg on my face because I was just doing my job and following the rules.

Fucking assholes

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017

This is worse than the customers tbh. Cowardly managers who won't be firm and have your back.

Deleted member 61909

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
Ive never met an Asian who wasn't interested in finding out if they were the same type of Asian as me. That isn't rude, thats freaking small talk.
That's great for you and I'm glad you're cool with it. All I'm saying is if you DON'T wish to share that information, you have no choice but to be bothered with that question on a daily basis in customer service.

Pink Tape

Oct 25, 2017
Red Velvet's cookie jar
Idk if this belongs here but sometimes the people who come into the store I work at don't respect our time. We close at 9 through Saturday and 7 on Sunday; that's how it's been since I started there. There will sometimes be people shopping around the store past closing even after we turn the music off and it annoys the hell out of me. About 99% of the time I'm cashier so I have to wait for them to come up and check out. I don't have all the time in the world to wait for you. I don't know why you're assuming I do.

Recently there was a woman I had to deal with that also had me do returns and NOT in the normal "scan the receipt and get it done in less than 5 minutes way" NOPE. She wanted me to compare prices of things in store to what she originally paid for them and that was after she spent like 20 minutes in the fitting room doing God knows what in there. And this was after closing on a Sunday. I was supposed to leave at 7 but didn't get out till 7:30. Absolutely ridiculous.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Impolitely enough, I have asked people same question in the past. Now I simply ask (regardless of racial/ethnic background) if they are "mainlanders" or "islanders" when someone's through some action piques my curiosity.

Funnily enough, when I first moved to Newfoundland, one of the cafeteria employees remarked on how good my english was..... Suffice it to say, if that comment had come from someone in a big city flooded with folks of various ethnic backgrounds, I'd been quite offended. Here though, I was just simply... surprised.

Wow... just wow. Talk about fragile ego and projection.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Based on my personal experience no one has ever asked me "where I'm from" as in ancestry. They always assume I'm just a plain White American so I think it's rude to ask and question minorites their ancestries and citizenship. Let alone in a work setting.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Retail is the worst. I had a guy walk into a fitting room and piss all over the floor because he couldn't be bothered to walk to the restroom which was right next to the fitting room. Mind you, he did this right after I told him where the nearest restroom was.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to assume you're American, and even if you weren't I'm sure you can see the race power dynamics at play in those posts with some knowledge of History. They're not remotely the same situations.
I know theres a power dynamic when you have a white racist pos saying something. But I still dont get how saying "black person" is racist. It is an extra detail that isnt needed but I dont see how that equals out to being racist/a ban for racism.
But as mentioned I should probably ask an admin on how that works and not derail the thread with that discussion.

Deleted member 61909

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
Retail is the worst. I had a guy walk into a fitting room and piss all over the floor because he couldn't be bothered to walk to the restroom which was right next to the fitting room. Mind you, he did this right after I told him where the nearest restroom was.
I was once helping a customer at the front desk and an elderly gentlemen *cough* released some bears right in the front of the desk. I guess he wasn't wearing underwear cause they landed right on the ground. Me and my manager had to clean it up. Actually, he cleaned it up, I offered to hold the garbage bag open.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory False Equivalence Around Race
That's pretty shitty OP, sucks to have dealt with that.

I've dealt with something similar like 15 years ago, when an older guy literally asked me "are you a halfbreed?" because of my lighter skin when I worked for a lawn and garden speciality store (Mainly got a lot of redneck types since I live in the south). Thankfully though, when I told him no and explained why that's not the best term to use, he honestly seemed apologetic and didn't know that was an offensive term. I honestly think some racism just stems from ignorance (especially older generations), which you can steer people away from with the right approach... sometimes.

I feel like that's one of the major issues here, there needs to be transparency with these types of things. That and double standards. If it's fine to describe someone as white, you shouldn't ban someone for doing the same thing with someone black (As long as neither are malicious or intentionally offensive obviously)... and this is coming from a black person.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was once helping a customer at the front desk and an elderly gentlemen *cough* released some bears right in the front of the desk. I guess he wasn't wearing underwear cause they landed right on the ground. Me and my manager had to clean it up. Actually, he cleaned it up, I offered to hold the garbage bag open.
The horror stories I could tell you. Bathroom walls and yeah the fitting room.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Never understood how cruel and stupid you have to be to be shitty to customer service people. Their entire job is to help you, and they had absolutely nothing to do with whatever your problem is, they didn't manufacturer your shit, they didn't draft the policy your upset about, they dont set pricing, they aren't responsible for whatever delay, etc.

Can't tell you how many poor service girls have come into my department crying because a customer yelled at them, they're one of the lowest paid departments where i work as well, extremely high turnover.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
That's just jumping to a conclusion you have no proof to support. For all you know, there are rules preventing mods from moderating threads they are active in as users. You have no idea what their internal systems are, you're just trying to stir shit because you got shown up. If you really gave a shit, you'd talk to someone who could actually explain it instead of whining about it in public.
"You'll never see me again!"
I'm so sad. :'( if only that was ever true.
I think I have seen everyone who has ever said that again, and usually not long after

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
y'all please explain the substantive difference between these posts. There is no fucking double standards, can y'all read???

One time I had a black man tell me my booty was nice right next to his wife.
Had a white man insist recently I must have a bunch of kids because apparently that's a past time for black women. Like.... Sir, this is a pharmacy. Mentioned it to my white pharmacist who insisted he must've been joking. I gave up that day.

Speaking of which, I made another dude mad recently because I didn't put his change in his hand. And that's because he threw it down on the counter first.

Free Allyship Hack for white American folks: DO NOT put the money down on the counter for non-white folks to fetch it for you. It is amazingly rude. Double fuck you if you hold your hand out expecting me to put the change/credit card in your hand.