• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Like forget about the ridiculously small install base of people who can afford these - I can't play my rift for more than 45 minutes in a day or else I get bad headaches.

There is no way a proper single player AAA game that needs hours and hours of playtime to beat lands in VR until the tech has gotten waaaay cheaper and more advanced.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
You mean with their own in-house device, the prices would be more affordable than the non customer-friendly price of the Vive?

But will Valve keep up to the hardware inside it? Valve aren't a hardware manufacturer and the few experiences they ahd especially with Steam Machines never went well that they had to cut them.

According to the latest Valve News Network video on this he says there's been rumors Valve has bought a manufacturing house:

I'm having problems finding any rumors related to that online though Valve is a pretty generic search term. Hopefully Tyler makes a new video with what he's heard on that soon, if Valve has really bought out a manufacturing facility I would be pretty interested in finding out more information about it.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
You mean with their own in-house device, the prices would be more affordable than the non customer-friendly price of the Vive?

But will Valve keep up to the hardware inside it? Valve aren't a hardware manufacturer and the few experiences they ahd especially with Steam Machines never went well that they had to cut them.
Not sure what you mean. The only things they've actually manufactured themselves are the Steam controllers and the Steam Link. Both of which seem to have good build quality. The Steam Machines you mention are actually almost exactly the same situation as the Vive in that they're just Valve initiative/endorsed hardware made by 3rd parties.

Like forget about the ridiculously small install base of people who can afford these - I can't play my rift for more than 45 minutes in a day or else I get bad headaches.

There is no way a proper single player AAA game that needs hours and hours of playtime to beat lands in VR until the tech has gotten waaaay cheaper and more advanced.
I mean...quantify "hours and hours" because I can think of a few Oculus games that already fit that bill and at least one upcoming one that also will.

Last edited:

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
FormalGratefulAsianwaterbuffalo-max-1mb.gif

I'm still to get my notlikethis.Gif ready

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Half Life needs to be groundbreaking no matter what the game is, Even a short demo would be scrutinised because of the mere mention of Half Life..... VR is the groundbreaking tech to use for whatever the game/demo is.

Would be a surreal moment being inside the word of Half Life in VR. Skyrim was the same, RE7 was.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Hope you're all looking forward to Half-Life 2: VR edition
Are you kidding? Even if that's all it is I would play the shit out of it.

Half Life needs to be groundbreaking no matter what the game is, Even a short demo would be scrutinised because of the mere mention of Half Life..... VR is the groundbreaking tech to use for whatever the game/demo is.

Would be a surreal moment being inside the word of Half Life in VR. Skyrim was the same, RE7 was.

This is my line of thinking as well.

Feb 10, 2018
Valve and gaben might of made a leap frog product and it will be like the 2nd of coming of people will be crying at its announcement because its so amazing.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
But will Valve keep up to the hardware inside it? Valve aren't a hardware manufacturer
Valve manufactures their Steam Controllers & Link so they have experience.
and the few experiences they ahd especially with Steam Machines never went well that they had to cut them.
they never manufactured a Steam machine, they had 3rd party OEMs make them (Alienware, Asus, etc)

Considering they wouldn't have to pay HTC for their Headset / HTC paying them royalties, It would already be cheaper in that measure.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I imagine they'll be pretty good on pricing. They were for the SteamController. VR is a high investment, low volume business. I imagine the mark up on a Vive, and even worse, a Vive Pro, is absolutely obscene. Valve will be far more aggressive fiscally.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I believe it when I see it (or can actually buy it).

Same for HL3 as a VR game, that was an unverified rumor for years now. Probably born out of the comments from Valve people that standard games need to have something new and interesting to them to get people/devs excited about working on them, if that is not the case then it wont happen and 2d Half Life 3 that is 10+ years late to the party and would maybe feel like a dusty game-add-on would definitely not cut it here!

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
We don't go to Ravenholm.......Unless it's in VR.

I'm sure Valve know the importance and stature of the Half Life name, So whatever it is it wont be half assed. Sounds ambitious, Which Half Life deserves.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
I called this out years ago with a friend saying the next half life game would be VR. Generally the games are at the forefront of game tech. But it's been so long I just don't have any more energy to put into the hope of a new game....

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Did they mention that will be a spin-off Half Life game like the Lost Coast or a new Half-Life or one of the old games?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'd keep my expectations of the Half Life game in check until we get more info. Let's not jump straight to it being HL:3 and then get disappointed when it turns out to be a 15-30 minute experience. That said it sure would be nice if it's one of those 3 VR games they're working on.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Gabe did say in 2017 and confirmed again this year that Valve is making 3 full VR games, I imagine this long rumored Half Life VR game is one of those.

I really hope it's not VR exclusive anyway and it will offer both modes. I was bummed that most of the PS VR games didn't offer a normal mode and I can't get 2 VR headsets at once tbh. I hope at least this Half-Life game will be playable in normal way. I just can't miss any Half-Life game.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Ah yes, VR, the thing that was supposed to change everything. Wake me up when I don't have to wear a bulky contraption on my face that makes me feel nauseous.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I very much want HL3 to be a VR game.

But I'm not getting excited yet, this could just be "Gordon's Crossbow Training".

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Even if it was HL3, or Episode 3, the likelihood me purchasing it if it is VR exclusive is pretty slim.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many times in the last 10 years Valve has started and stopped development on a half life game.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
So after steam machines valve really wanted to attach themselves to another hardware failure huh?

Just kidding this could be cool but yeah the vr hills to climb to be a success seem pretty intractable.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I was considering putting my Vive up for sale before the holidays as I suspected something was around the corner (anyhow I do have access to another Vive in the mean time).
This seems like it may be legit so that decides it.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Um there already are proper games in VR and many do play such things. With anything VR or really new tech it progresses with time and the quality will get better. What you try now will be entirely different in 10 years.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if HL3 were actually real and VR only, the port begging would easily surpass Bayonetta 2

it would be a sight to see

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Whatever Valve makes in VR, they'll probably take full advantage of the hardware which could set a high bar for the entire VR industry. That's been Gabe's vision- to code games and design hardware in complete synchronicity. Designing the best VR controller to date and then just porting motion controls into HL2 as their launch title would be like launching the Nintendo 64 with Super Mario World 2.5D. It would sell a couple hundred thousand copies and then slot next to Fallout and Skyrim as decent VR ports but nothing truly innovative.

There's a better chance it'll be a supplemental HL game or if we're really lucky, they're making HL3 from the ground up with VR and flat support in mind, which would at least give the game a chance to feel revolutionary to VR players without making flat players feel like they're getting a lesser game.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not even that:
SteamOS
Steam Machines

They've a history of big initiatives that stall out. This will sell to their most dedicated of fans then be forgotten about.
Steam Machines were a dud (though nothing is saying they can't be looked at again in the future), but Valve's Linux initiative (including SteamOS) is still being worked on and saw a major step with the introduction of Proton. You can hardly say it's stalled out.

Oct 25, 2017
It's like people forgot that they've sold a ton of Steam Controllers and Links or something. Valve's been hardware for awhile.
Proton is also now a thing and getting better with time, meaning Steam Machines could also make a comeback eventually. What if this new in house VR heaset is another pillar?

Steam + Steam Home + Steam Link
Steam VR + In-house headset
Slap a layer of Proton on top

2045 - Steam OASIS BAYBEE

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
VR is the best way to play single player immersive games, try Skyrim VR and you will know what potential AAA games have.
I hope they partner with Rockstar to make red dead 2 on PC and it supports this headset too, released alongside half life 2 episode 3 VR.