• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
UploadVR:
Images of Prototype Valve VR Headset Leak

ValveLeakHeadsets-1024x498.jpg

ValveLeakPCB-768x373.jpg

ValveLeakLenses-768x373.jpg

According to our independent sources this is in fact a Valve HMD. We've also heard the field of view will be 135 degrees with the Vive Pro resolution and it should come bundled with Knuckles controllers as well as a Half-Life based VR game.

An interesting tidbit is the dual cameras on the front in addition to the usual lighthouse markers. Could this allow for both outside-in and inside-out tracking?

As for the voracity of the rumored Half-Life VR game...

UPDATE:

Rumor: Half-Life VR is a prequel to Half-Life 2

https://youtu.be/tBFnoVr0_ck

Relevant part starts at 6:10

Grain of salt and all that, but there hasn't been this much info swirling around on this franchise in years, and VNN is pretty trustworthy, if not a little clickbaity.

Last edited:

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Are they not partnering up with HTC for this?
I wonder when this will be out?

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Can't wait for people to start whining about how the VR game isn't a "real" Half-Life game, and that they didn't want "VR shit"
Just play Black Mesa or something. I'd imagine it'd work out well in the end regardless.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Gonna be awesome if this is true.

A half-life (just that is crazy) game taking advantage of the Knuckes? It's going to be mind blowing.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017

HTC was never going to be their only SteamVR hardware partner. If they decide to manufacturer it themselves, it could end up being very affordable if the value of other Valve hardware is anything to go by. I wouldn't mind seeing another line manufacturing time-lapse either.

Half-Life would certainly be one way to mass-adopt VR among PC enthusiasts.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
One of my steam friends who makes items for all their games told me about a potential half life VR game that uses the knuckle controllers like a year ago or so.

This just further makes me believe its true.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With Oculus focusing on their self contained headset I'll be moving from Rift to this if true. I bought a standing desk not that long ago and decided to shelve the Rift, as the 3 cameras and headset made it so there were too many cables coming out of the PC. It wasn't a problem when the PC was stationary, but with the standing (moving) desk it doesn't look nice having all the cables move.
I remember when Valve described how they basically predicted this when they ended up developing the Lighthouse system. That both systems of tracking works, but that the way Rift tracks uses way too many USB ports. Rift tracking and Lighthouse tracking are both equally usable when it is just one or two stations/cameras, but once things get scaled up Lighthouse wins out.

This is likely why Facebook is moving towards inside out tracking without external cameras so soon; because they realised they have hit a limit with thier existing tracking, and they decided to just move on from it. While Valve is likely happy with Lighthouse for the foreseeable future until something genuinely better replaces it.

Also, basically no one at Valve wanted to spearhead a Half Life game for years because they didn't want the responsibility. But in the end VR could be the push to bring something new to the table, like what the first two games did.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
No fucking way. I don't believe they're working on anything HL related, at most this is like a retrofitted HL2 VR. There is no way they create a proper new HL game exclusive to VR.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"135 degrees", is that the best on the market? How many degrees would a headset need to remove the window effect?

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Valve has said time and time again that they won't do Half-Life again until they push the envelope like they did with 1 and 2.

VR HL3 is totally boundary pushing, in my opinion. There's nothing really in gaming that's must-have VR, but that might honestly do it.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

God I hope not. We need some one other than either htc with atrocious customer support or the system owned by Facebook. I mean I love my vive but I'm terrified of it breaking. No one has an even semi decent story of customer support from htc if something goes wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
135 degrees (that part wasn't in the reddit thread the pics came from) + official Steam VR support would be legit. A nice compromise vs Pimax's usable 150 degrees and non official Steam VR support. Please use OLED and have a bigger sweet spot to go along with the wider FOV.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tbh I always thought that if a new Half Life was to happen it would be VR.

There is no way they can manage to meet the expectations of Half Life 3 without it being revolutionary. And for that... VR it is.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I don't believe that Valve wouldn't know who took those pictures. That is if it was a guest.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Finally Half Life 3 exclusively for VR like I've been saying all along. Get ready boyos!

The Blue Box:

Half Life 3
Portal 3
Team Fortress 3
Left 4 Dead 3

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Valve VR set? Why? I thought they have their Vive? Why make another?
Manufacturing your own Headset would be a big plus in terms of pricing & other stuff. Not to mention HTC is horrendous with Customer support.

HTC is in a pretty bad spot right now so I wouldn't be surprised if valve just decided to go lone wolf on this one.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Valve VR set? Why? I thought they have their Vive? Why make another?
HTC is a struggling company. Valve never made any exclusivity deal, they always intended their tech to be used by multiple different manufacturers. Remember, they sell games, they would prefer if other people build the hardware. And they also rather not be stuck with only one company supplying things. This is the way of PC gaming. The same line of thought is why they are still keeping Linux gaming going.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yes Value is developing a headset, and yes there is a HL VR game/demo.

Not promising either will see the light of day.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Seriously? I just bought a new Mac. So I've got to get an eGPU? That shit is highway robbery.

Thanks GabeN, I thought I was long done with computer gaming.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I've never dealt with them, but they can't be worse than Valve themselves.
Pretty Awful, ask anyone who's had an issue with their Headsets & you'll see why.

Valve's Hardware Support team is 100x better than HTCs, & If you are implying Valve's Steam Support team is awful, they've improved a ton as well.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want this to be true. HL3 being a groundbreaking VR game is so completely fitting.

It wouldn't shock me if it were a VR-first VR+traditional hybrid game, though, honestly.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If it's a full fledged AAA Half Life experience, I will be a day one purchaser and it will be my first foray into home VR.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Manufacturing your own Headset would be a big plus in terms of pricing & other stuff. Not to mention HTC is horrendous with Customer support.

HTC is in a pretty bad spot right now so I wouldn't be surprised if valve just decided to go lone wolf on this one.

HTC is a struggling company. Valve never made any exclusivity deal, they always intended their tech to be used by multiple different manufacturers. Remember, they sell games, they would prefer if other people build the hardware. And they also rather not be stuck with only one company supplying things. This is the way of PC gaming. The same line of thought is why they are still keeping Linux gaming going.

You mean with their own in-house device, the prices would be more affordable than the non customer-friendly price of the Vive?

But will Valve keep up to the hardware inside it? Valve aren't a hardware manufacturer and the few experiences they had especially with Steam Machines never went well that they had to cut them.

Last edited:

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Guys... Sure, this could be HL3... Or it could be a short VR experience meant to put an end to the franchise, finish the story and end the demands for more HL, once and for all. So remain cautious.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean with their own in-house device, the prices would be more affordable than the non customer-friendly price of the Vive?

But will Valve keep up to the hardware inside it? Valve aren't a hardware manufacturer and the few experiences they ahd especially with Steam Machines never went well that they had to cut them.
The new headset doesn't need to be released by them. Valve will be perfectly happy to take the finished product and licence it to any number of other companies to make. That's how the HTC headset came to be to begin with.

As for steam machines, you seem to be missing the point of why it existed. Steam machine is a life-boat that Valve built just in case MS decided to lock Steam out of Windows one day. Yes, it is small and uncomfortable, but being in a small lifeboat is better than being thrown overboard. And Steam machine did its job in keeping MS away from any plans to harm Steam, for now. Contingency plans is important.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
guess i'm way too uninterested in putting a box on my head that even a half life game doesn't really excite me if it's VR-only.
i doubt this is what people want anyway, will likely end up being a short VR "experience".