• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

Interesting comparison, can't say I gel with him on this one. Alan Wake taken seriously is not Alan Wake (still a good game tho), and Evil Within has decent ideas but handing psychological horror with subtlety isn't one of them.

Still, good video.
(besides the continuing saga of me being thrown off by Noah lack of editing. Christ every cough, pause or stutter drives me up the wall!)

p.s.: AW will never be back on stores is it? Should've bought it sooner! :(

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like Noah's refreshing informal manner.

Alan Wake is basically Duma Key mixed with Bag of Bones. It's a well executed remix, but I prefer Quantum Break if only because it felt like they were trying to make something vaguely original. I don't think the vaguely satirical tone precludes Alan Wake from being taken seriously. All of Remedy's works have featured strange satirical elements.

OP
OP

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the vaguely satirical tone precludes Alan Wake from being taken seriously. All of Remedy's works have featured strange satirical elements.

Oh I don't think it precludes, don't take me wrong, but Noah misses some of the marks, especially when he talks about American's Nightmare. As if suddenly AW shifts from horror to something else when it actually feels like Remedy being even more satyrical.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
Noah does a great job with his videos, I'm always curious as to what his thoughts are on games and I really enjoyed his perspective on these series. I stopped watching once he brought up Evil Within 2 because I have yet to play it. I prefer Alan Wake more because of the satisfying combat and I felt the story being told was more compelling and easier to understand as I played. Alan's motivations of saving his wife felt more compelling than Sebastian's need to just survive. Alan Wake talking as I played the game had me feeling more connected to his goals compared to Sebastian's grunting as events played out; Alan Wake for me was a more compelling character. The combat in Alan Wake was also more satisfying, while simpler the use of light and powerful sounding weapons was satisfying for the entire play through. Evil Within's mix of stealth and shooting felt like a mixed bag, where none of them actually excelled and only felt acceptable.

I am curious how Evil Within 2 improves upon the original, I'll hopefully get around to playing it some time as I do enjoy a good horror game.