• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
NTGYK

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Technically it's not even incest.
vqpPVvS.gif

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
You write this as if it's a bad thing. The crazy is what people like about the show. Everything's exaggerated, people are stupid or uncommunicative so that dumb situations can result. Everyone sleeps with everyone else, or almost does. It's a comedy, not a life lesson. And the same template's been used for like 4 or 5 decades. What's the difference, really, between an episode of Friends or Three's Company?

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
The Psycho and sociopath stuff doesn't come until season 5 onwards. As in litteraly everything mentioned in the OP didn't come up until the second half.

There's a clear switch in the start of season 6 I think we're he just randomly starts going full crazy and the reasons for it are poor.

Before that he was pretty normal. As far as sitcom characters go anyway. He completely gave up on Rachel at the end of season 1 and she was the one who wouldn't leave him alone for 4 seasons.

The entire show though, everyone goes full toxic in beyond season 5.

Bingo. This is the nature of really long lasting comedy shows. The characters tend to get more and more Flanderized as time goes on because the writers are trying to mine more laughs without retreading the exact same traits to the same degree. They have to take it further and further.

The only time I don't see this happen is when the shows comedy was always about how awful all of the characters are. Seinfeld, Always Sunny, etc... But with a show like Friends, which wasn't supposed to be about how awful the characters are but instead how a bunch of 20-somethings navigate life, all of their worst traits end up having to be exaggerated for the sake of jokes.

Hell you can actually see the effect of it on two different types of characters in the same show when you watch How I Met Your Mother from start to finish. Everyone seems pretty normal and alright at the start, except Barney since he's supposed to be absolutely scummy. But by the end, everyone comes across as caricatures of their former selves... except Barney, because he was always a caricature.

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
imagine imagining a 2019 where people didn't start every statement with the word imagine

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
The Psycho and sociopath stuff doesn't come until season 5 onwards. As in litteraly everything mentioned in the OP didn't come up until the second half.

There's a clear switch in the start of season 6 I think we're he just randomly starts going full crazy and the reasons for it are poor.

Before that he was pretty normal. As far as sitcom characters go anyway. He completely gave up on Rachel at the end of season 1 and she was the one who wouldn't leave him alone for 4 seasons.

Funny enough...season 5 is my favorite. From the beginning, dealing with saying the wrong name, everything just keeps swelling for all the Friends lol

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
He was afraid of his girlfriend catching "the gay" and he was an insecure manchild who had strict beliefs on gender roles and wouldn't THINK to have a Male nanny. screw him

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Funny enough...season 5 is my favorite. From the beginning, dealing with saying the wrong name, everything just keeps swelling for all the Friends lol

I can't remember if it's exactly season 5 or 6, but once everything had settled down from the wedding (so I think at the start of season 6) was when it went full caricature.

Except Joey, who had already turned full caricature immediatly after the episodes with Dina Meyers. Before he was just a bit slow but still got everything, was smart in his own way and was only ever confused by people getting technical. After that he was infantile at best.

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Ross goes from being the worst character by far, to being my favourite by far over the course of the series. He is the best thing about the last 3 or 4 seasons.

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've watched friends a lot recently, the show itself is outright sexist and homophobic, a sign of the times.

Ross is the only character that bothered me for everything mentioned in the OP.

Oct 28, 2017
California
I watched a couple of episodes of Friends and I couldn't fucking stand him. Him and Ted from How I Met Your Mother (another terrible show) are some of the worst tv characters ever.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Dude was a sociopath then, as well.

I'll never understand people who consider him an adorable geek or anything, Ross is straight up fucked in the head.
Independently of the weird shit you mentioned, what's really depressing is how at the time the show was airing, Ross was actually supposed to be sympathetic somehow in the arguments that he'd have with Rachel, where the reality of the matter is that he was a controlling, insecure man child and the only thing Rachel ever did wrong was a) having a career she liked, or b) expecting him to own up to anything ever.

He's the quintessential "nice guy" with all of the baggage that comes with it.
Any favorable view I have on Ross is from early on in the show. Of course all the characters were at least somewhat relatable and realistic at that point.

This is exactly right. After the London events, his character becomes completely unattached from both reality and his previous seasons' character. I just remember how instead of deliberate, restrained, and poignant, he became loud and high-pitched in the most irrelevant of circumstances. Though, all the other characters were being Flanderized too.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry blew his chances with that one woman because he kept slipping up and making racist Indian comments around her?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i didn't know about the cousin thing or the multiple babies shit. did know about the student thing. now i fully understand why people hate him

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone ever met someone named Ross? I never encounter that name in real life.

Yeah. I have a mate known as "Rocks Off" Ross. Very dapper. Has a kind of Jack Sparrow gait, though this was a pre-film thing. I believe he at one point owned or rented the original Ecto-1 specifically for his brother's funeral, though that's secondhand information; didn't see it myself. Nice guy.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Dude's got mad psycho rage issues, is continually divorced, tried to fuck his cousin, did fuck his student, has three baby mamas, is the world's biggest whiner, and so on

In 2019 he'd be the poster boy for mental illness or something
Dont forget he is also transphobic and homophobic (in fact, i think so is the writer too because she was the one who wrote many of his lines)

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
ok i will take the bait

can you explain the problems with Ted?
Ted got a girl hammered at Barney's wedding and then took her back the room to fuck her. Not only did he have to think long and hard about if this was a thing he should be doing while standing over her laying drunk on the bed..but also felt it was an appropriate story to be telling his children as part how he met their
now dead
mother.
The man was an asshole.