• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
When "Zach Morris is trash" finally runs out I hope they look into starting something similar for Ross.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Ross was just a whiny nice guy in the first few seasons then about half way through they decided to just make him nuts.

Ted in HIMYM is worse though.

Last edited:

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna piggy back on this thread and say that Seinfeld and Costanza are worse people. I just finished my first walkthrough and those guys are terrible terrible people.

I always see people complain about Friends cast but never Seinfeld.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Ross was the most realistic character in the series, with the years i started to cheer for him more and more.
In any case at least he isn't Phoebe.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I'm gonna piggy back on this thread and say that Seinfeld and Costanza are worse people. I just finished my first walkthrough and those guys are terrible terrible people.

I always see people complain about Friends cast but never Seinfeld.

I think its the point Seinfeld and co are terrible people, they belong in jail.

But I dont get the complaint about Friends either, do they support to be good? They are young good looking, selfish and very funny.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
What's great is the last season or so has episodes that specifically point out that Ross hasn't matured since breaking up with Rachel in the first time. So they give is his happy ending after providing every reason to believe that he's just inevitably going to fuck it up again and it's going to be all his fault. Like, one of his last lines in the show is making a "we were on the break" joke.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
What's great is the last season or so has episodes that specifically point out that Ross hasn't matured since breaking up with Rachel in the first time. So they give is his happy ending after providing every reason to believe that he's just inevitably going to fuck it up again and it's going to be all his fault. Like, one of his last lines in the show is making a "we were on the break" joke.
He was in the right on the "we were on a break " though, the bitterness in bringing it up all the time not so much.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I think its the point Seinfeld and co are terrible people, they belong in jail.

But I dont get the complaint about Friends either, do they support to be good? They are young good looking, selfish and very funny.
Oh, they were supposed to be seen as terrible people? I genuinely thought they were supposed to be likable haha. That makes it a bit better then

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I mean moreso that he finally gets his relationship back and then nearly fucks it up immediately.
True, it's probably the most realistic thing in the show.
I've immediately fucked up getting back with someone too(I was pretty young) and I've seen lots of buddies do it. Some people just never let shit go lol

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never get why Mike seems to get a pass when people discuss what jerks the characters are.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Ross and Rachel are the worst. They deserve each other.

Though thinking about it, Phoebe is the biggest asshole in the group.

Last edited:

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Independently of the weird shit you mentioned, what's really depressing is how at the time the show was airing, Ross was actually supposed to be sympathetic somehow in the arguments that he'd have with Rachel, where the reality of the matter is that he was a controlling, insecure man child and the only thing Rachel ever did wrong was a) having a career she liked, or b) expecting him to own up to anything ever.

He's the quintessential "nice guy" with all of the baggage that comes with it.
He was supposed to be sympathetic? Did screamed we were on a break every time someone pointed out it was his fault they broke up or in general portrayed badly anytime a problem with the relationship was mentioned. I honestly don't remember anything similar happening to Rachel so it must not have happened much.

They must have been self sabotaging themselves if they were trying to portray Ross as sympathetic in that relationship.
The show does try to draw pity but it never fails to remind you that almost everything Ross complains about was his own fault.

Last edited:

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
The Gellars are both completely insane, but the show goes into a fair bit of detail about why that's the case.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
He was supposed to be sympathetic? Did screamed we were on a break every time someone pointed out it was his fault they broke up or in general portrayed badly anytime a problem with the relationship was mentioned. I honestly don't remember anything similar happening to Rachel so it must not have happened.

They must have been self sabotaging themselves if they were trying to portray Ross as sympathetic in that relationship.
The show does try to draw pity but it never fails to remind you that almost everything Ross complains about was his own fault.
It was stated in the show that every relationship problem Ross has it's because he has been scarred for life from what happened in his first marriage with Carol.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
They did turn Ross into a bit of a jerk when they decided to break him and Rachel up, that wasn't handled well.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what it is, but whenever people point out flaws in friends I can't help but remember how my interest was always peaked.

It must have just been a couple of small details that distracted me from other issues. I wish someone would nip this feeling of uncertainty in the bud and explain why I, a young teen still enjoyed such a terrible show filled with many lows and only a couple of highs.

Until this is clear in my mind, I'll just teat it fondly like all the other great comedies I watched growing up. Not even sure about this Ross character, was he even in the show?

Nipples.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
They did turn Ross into a bit of a jerk when they decided to break him and Rachel up, that wasn't handled well.
Because it's funnier. In the first few seasons he was honestly kind of boring. Some people make it seem like they want the whole cast to be calm, nice, quiet peoole.

Last edited:

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
It was stated in the show that every relationship problem Ross has it's because he has been scarred for life from what happened in his first marriage with Carol.
I don't remember that and it's straight up false anyway unless the arguement is that it caused Ross to say another woman's name at the alter.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Ross said it because rachel self admittedly went there to try to mess up the wedding.
Rachel didn't actually mess up the wedding though, she only went to it. He said it because he was still hung up and in love with her while he was about to marry someone else. That was entirely his fault.

Dude has a laundry list of personal relationship fuck ups that he doesn't really learn from and instead spirals into self loathing.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not sure it always worked as a comedic device but wasn't Ross in reality - the most rounded and real character in the show?

Insecure, desperate, needy but also deep down a decent guy - but one who's flaws defined much of how people interacted with them?

Beyond that you have more one dimensional - Monica - obssessive complusive control freak, used to be fat now isn't, Rachel - prom queen beauty, Chandler - the joker, Joey - the alpha male, Phoebe - the hippy.

All characters work as comedic constructs but are mainly one dimensional. You rarely see anything other than their default.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Rachel didn't actually mess up the wedding though, she only went to it. He said it because he was still hung up and in love with her while he was about to marry someone else. That was entirely his fault.
It was his fault that he literally said it, but the fact that she got there at the last second without notice totally messed with ross's head. Plus I heard this story before of a guy accidentally saying an old ex's name at the alter, but the difference was that it was just seen as a nervous mistake.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure it always worked as a comedic device but wasn't Ross in reality - the most rounded and real character in the show?

Insecure, desperate, needy but also deep down a decent guy - but one who's flaws defined much of how people interacted with them?

Beyond that you have more one dimensional - Monica - obssessive complusive control freak, used to be fat now isn't, Rachel - prom queen beauty, Chandler - the joker, Joey - the alpha male, Phoebe - the hippy.

All characters work as comedic constructs but are mainly one dimensional. You rarely see anything other than their default.
That's really over simplifying the other characters tbh. Chandler's jokiness is a self defense for being self conscience, and he changes a lot. Monica changes a lot too, they both do after getting together. Rachel becomes very self dependent, but also crazier...to a lesser extent than ross. Joey and Phoebe are a little more one dimensional I guess.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really need to imagine it, just read replies to women/PoC/LGBTQ people on Twitter all day and you'll get the full Ross experience and then some.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's really over simplifying the other characters tbh. Chandler's jokiness is a self defense for being self conscience, and he changes a lot. Monica changes a lot too, they both do after getting together. Rachel becomes very self dependent, but also crazier...to a lesser extent than ross. Joey and Phoebe are a little more one dimensional I guess.

Character development sure - but essentially the main trope is consistent with those characters. Ross from outset is a bit more rounded - he's the sort of person that exists - or at least elements of his character reside in many people.

The rest for me were still great comedic devices but it was always obvious they were scripted sit-com characters. You couldn't take their characters out and put them anywhere else.

Not a critique I loved friends I just think the fact that Ross was pretty irritating is fairly true to a rounded character. Insecure yet also incredibly "arrogant" at times - is actually quite accurate to many people.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Goofy/crazy Ross was the best character on the show.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
I would try to fuck my cousin, too, if she looked like peak 90's Denise Richards.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
God i hated that character. Friends in general is terribly unfunny (to me) but Ross was definitely the most punchable character on that show.

edit: Oh and while pretty, i think Denise Richards is completely unattractive. I don't have HIGH standards, just peculiar standards, i guess..

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
why was he so shitty to his' ex's girlfriend.

Because, desperate to do anything to save his marriage to Carol, he suggested they spice things up by having a threesome (suggested to him by someone), to which he was surprised when she immediately agreed. Susan was the third wheel who showed up and Ross was left out of it completely. Carol ended the relationship and shacked up with Susan, and applied for a divorce. Susan then became the one who ended his marriage, or he sees it much that way at least. It's an irrational but understandable reaction. Susan wasn't exactly giving reasons for Ross to like her either, to be fair. Both were quite snippy and insulting to each other right from the start of the show.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Because, desperate to do anything to save his marriage to Carol, he suggested they spice things up by having a threesome (suggested to him by someone), to which he was surprised when she immediately agreed. Susan was the third wheel who showed up and Ross was left out of it completely. Carol ended the relationship and shacked up with Susan, and applied for a divorce. Susan then became the one who ended his marriage, or he sees it much that way at least. It's an irrational but understandable reaction. Susan wasn't exactly giving reasons for Ross to like her either, to be fair. Both were quite snippy and insulting to each other right from the start of the show.

And their a story line where he walked Carol down the aisle when her parent refused to show up to her wedding.
Ross is a jerk but paint him as homophobic is dishonest.