• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Link.

The saga of the screen adaptation of Marvel's Inhumans has finally gotten a public assessment, with Imax CEO Rich Gelfond blaming its disappointing reception, at least in theaters, on a "misalignment of customer expectations."

Corporate-speak translation: movie ticket buyers realized they had paid top dollar for a TV show.

Initially planned as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe at Disney, the film project then became a TV series at ABC, in the vein of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Imax signed on to co-produce and struck a deal to premiere the first two episodes in its large-format theatres for a two-week engagement before it would air on ABC this fall. Box-office receipts of $3.5 million disappointed all involved, and the show drew negative reviews from critics.

Imax signed a deal to co-produce the series and exclusively premiere the first two episodes for two weeks in theater worldwide. The box office reception — $3.5 million—was below Imax's expectations. With negative buzz already in the air, producers asked during TCA summer press tour about the unusual move to play it in theaters said critics should not judge it based on the version that existed at that time, which they called "not finished."

Another experiment like Inhumans is not likely for Imax, based on Gelfond's post-mortem. "Going forward, we intend to take a more conservative approach consistent with the Game of Thrones approach to capital investments and content," Gelfond said on the call. "We will be more conservative when considering whether to invest our own capital; and if so, to what extent."

More at the link.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
lol that corporate speak

I'm not sure what he means about Game of Thrones, though? Do they play those in IMAX sometimes?

edit: saw this quote from further down in the article

Customers expected a production akin to a mega-budget blockbuster movie, rather than pilots for a television show

Blame everything but the quality is apparently the message here

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
You can come up with any excuse you want, Perlmutter and Buck ruined the show by rushing it and cheaping out. No one wanted the version of Inhumans they were selling.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I won't even watch Inhumans for free. There's no way I'm paying money to see it.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"in the vein of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D"

What did Shield ever do to deserve being compared to Inhumass? Sure S1 was mediocre til the Winter Soldier twist, but it was still noticeably better than Inhumass.