• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 10, 2018
I'm looking for something where your in a boat, submarine, spaceship, aircraft, vehicle etc and your either lost or investingating some mystery.
A sence of venturing into the unknown.

I don't know of any games where this is the main game.
There are other games which have elements of this e. G in fallout 4 venturing into the unknown with your power armour, in sea of thieves alone at sea during a storm, RDR2 venturing into the country and finding all kinds of things.

I love the element of mystery and exploration.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't played it but Subnautica is probably a good choice.

If you like Fallout 4 then Skyrim would be the obvious choice if you haven't gotten around to it yet.

AC Odyssey has a nice gameplay loop of upgrading your ship/crew and exploring it's many islands.

BOTW as well if you have a Switch, it's a fantastic sandbox that feels like a survival game at times.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought Subnautica on PS4 a couple days ago and hope it's exactly what you're describing.
Aquanaut's Holiday on PS3 was the last game in that genre I played.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Not sure if it fits your bill of "boat, spaceship, vehicle, etc" but take a look at The Long Dark.
Also probrably Kona (haven't played it myself), The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Event[0], TACOMA or maybe Kholat.

If you want open world games with focus on exploration then Subnautica or Zelda BoTW, but those have already been mentioned.

Edit: there's also Alien: Isolation.

Plum

May 31, 2018
You don't have a vehicle but Miasmata is the "Immersive exploration" game for me.

The game essentially has you exploring an island finding and experimenting on different herbs in order to cure a disease. However, you literally explore into the unknown, as in you have to create the map yourself. No other game has as in-depth a cartography system as this one, it's amazing. As for immersion there's stuff like having to worry about momentum when hiking (so you can't just run down hills and stop immediately), manually experimenting on each plant you find, and having to worry about light (amongst other things) if exploring after dark.

Just wish it would get a console port so I could play it again... though I know that's impossible lol

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
Haven't played it but Subnautica is probably a good choice.

If you like Fallout 4 then Skyrim would be the obvious choice if you haven't gotten around to it yet.

AC Odyssey has a nice gameplay loop of upgrading your ship/crew and exploring it's many islands.

BOTW as well if you have a Switch, it's a fantastic sandbox that feels like a survival game at times.
I bought Subnautica on PS4 a couple days ago and hope it's exactly what you're describing.
Aquanaut's Holiday on PS3 was the last game in that genre I played.
Subnautica definitely fits the bill.
May want to check out Subnautica.

Subnautica looks like it fits the bill, I would like to have a submarine or boat that you could touch base with though, but I will try it out anyway if I can get it cheap.
Thanks peeps.

MirVie

Nov 17, 2017
If you have a pc that can handle it, Subnautica is free on the Epic store from December 14th to December 27th.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
5d3b73bf575f335098fe90fc6bcc17e3b6ecbd47.gif

Is this from subnautica?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Elite Dangerous is getting an exploration update on the 11th. You venture out into unknown reaches of the Milky Way galaxy.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Subnautica was an unforgettable experience. Check it out.

I've heard really great things about Ashen, which is a souls like immersive open world game that just came out.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I would say No Man's Sky. There's no real end destination though. It's just getting a ship(s) and exploring the universe.

You can build a base and you vehicles too, including a submarine. If you don't spoil yourself there are some really cool planets to see.

5d3b73bf575f335098fe90fc6bcc17e3b6ecbd47.gif

Is this from subnautica?

Jesus Christ I'm never playing that game. Looks like a good game though.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Best sense of venturing into the unknown I've had recently was setting off across the desert on my camel in Assassins Creed Origins.

The first time I did it was very late one evening,I was pretty tired and then the hallucinations started,lol.

That was a trip!

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Sunless Sea is the best exploration game I've played. It's incredible terms of capturing the dread and mystery of exploring the ocean. And the writing is top notch, as well as incredibly creative. So you never have any idea about what you're going to find out there. But it does mean that its probably not a good choice if you don't like reading.

It's not great visually, but it still manages to create a great sense of atmosphere through good use of music, gameplay mechanics, and writing.

Subnautica is great too, like others have mentioned. And will be free on PC next week on the new Epic Games' store

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Not sure if it fits your bill of "boat, spaceship, vehicle, etc" but take a look at The Long Dark.
Also probrably Kona (haven't played it myself), The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Event[0], TACOMA or maybe Kholat.

If you want open world games with focus on exploration then Subnautica or Zelda BoTW, but those have already been mentioned.

Edit: there's also Alien: Isolation.
The Long Dark is great but it's more of how long till the wolves eat you simulator.

Alien Isolation is totally not exploration. Great game, mind you. Hell, Prey would be a better bet then.

Ruin

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
You wake up on a planet next to a broken ship, you don't know who or what you are and where you are. You start exploring the galaxy, following trails of mystery to discover yourself and the entities you meet along the way. Some will help you, some could betray you and some...

You start with a broken crappy-ish ship, and you can end up with a fleet of exotic ships. Same with your tools and suit.
This is No Man Sky

GUEST_833c685a-1519-4bcb-92b2-efbe55e46f6a

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
No Man's Sky is the pinnacle of venturing into the unknown. Planets are MASSIVE and you never know what you're going to find on a planet. Tons of different wildlife, tons of plant life, tons of resources, and billions and billions of planets to explore.