• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
orp_03_griffinbowarrow.jpg

Release date: December 3rd
Platforms: PS5 / PS4 / Switch / Xbox Series / Xbox One / PC / Stadia / Luna

Metacritic (82) | Opencritic (79 - Strong)​

PowerUp! (91/100):
Overall, Immortals Fenyx Rising is the most successful Zelda-like since Darksiders. It uses Breath of the Wild as a base and delivers a colourful, vibrant world to discover.

Hobby Consolas (91/100):
Fenyx Rising is a great adventure. An organic open world, full of surprises, with brilliant puzzles and combat mechanics, set in greek mythology. It is not Breath of the Wild, but it is close enough in may (good) things.

Game Informer (90/100):
Rewarding exploration, satisfying combat, and imaginative puzzles converge with endearing storytelling and well-executed humor to provide an excellent open-world experience

Digital Chumps (90/100):
Though Immortals Fenyx Rising may borrow familiar elements from other series, this new IP from Ubisoft establishes a unique identity through the lens of Greek mythology by using humor, intelligent puzzles, powerful combat, and clever world building.

God is a Geek (90 / 100):
Immortals Fenyx Rising is an excellent adventure with challenging and intricate puzzles, a wonderful combat system, and a rich world ripe for exploring.

Nintendo Enthusiast (90/100):
Immortals Fenyx Rising is not as hyper-polished an experience as its clear inspiration, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but it succeeds at creating its own identity thanks to excellent and comedic use of Greek mythology, a fast combat system that offers lots of satisfying character upgrades for Fenyx, and a wide assortment of unique weapons and armor to collect that keeps exploration rewarding. If you love Breath of the Wild, you would be out of your mind not to try Immortals Fenyx Rising.

COGconnected (87/100):
At first glance, it may seem like Immortals is a mish-mash of several games that came before but it's from the ashes of these that Fenyx Rises. Oozing with charm, you'll fall in love with the characterization and delivery of the narrative and want to explore every nook and cranny of the rich and diverse Grecian world.

4Players.de (87/100):
Beautiful, content-rich and extremely elegant: This action adventure not only feels feels like Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but can almost equal its tremendous quality.

IGN Italy (87/100):
It is undeniable that Immortals: Fenyx Rising owes much to Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but it is equally undeniable that the Ubisoft game manages to find its way and to propose its own vision. Those who do not appreciate open-worlds very much, where the fulcrum is the collection of treasures and the completion of challenges, could perceive more than others a sense of repetitiveness, which never becomes boring and which takes advantage of a clean technical realization. I enjoyed every minute spent on the Golden Island and at the end I was sad to say goodbye.

Multiplayer.it (85/100):
Quotation forthcoming.

Areajugones (85 / 100):
Immortals Fenyx Rising is Ubisoft's most pleasant surprise in years. The combination of its puzzles, battles, exploration and charismatic storytelling make for one of the most compelling games that the developer has ever worked on. Furthermore, if you enjoy the tales and myths from ancient Greece, you'll definitely be delighted.

Wccftech (80/100):
Despite a huge lack of innovation, bearing more than a passing resemblance to Zelda: Breath of the Wild's central mechanics, Immortals: Fenyx Rising is a great open-world game featuring a light-hearted, humorous tone, great combat, tons of content, and a well-designed main quest. It's also reminiscent, in a good way, of 3D puzzle games from the PlayStation 2 and GameCube era. Sure, the game does suffer a bit from the usual Ubisoft open-world design bloat, but do not let this put you off: Fenyx's journey to save the Greek Gods and restore the world to its former beauty is one worth experiencing.

DarkStation (80/100):
The world of Immortals: Fenyx Rising features plenty of things to keep you occupied as you rescue the gods and goddess of Mount Olympus. It's not an especially deep game and after the first hour, you'll have a pretty good idea of what to expect from the rest of the adventure. Breath of the Wild was fascinating because it left the player to figure things out on their own through experimentation. Immortals, on the other hand, can't wait to show you everything it has to offer and will take the time to do so. And just when I started to feel weary and slipping into disinterest, I'd stumble onto a really fun Vault of Tartaros that served as a reminder that it's the game's inventive puzzles—not the boss fights, the witty commentary between Zeus and Prometheus, or the moving confessions of the gods—that make Immortals: Fenyx Rising a surprisingly delightful epic.

GameSpew (80/100):
While it may seem a little basic at first, and players may wander into encounters that they're really not prepared for, it soon settles down into a hugely enjoyable historical romp that is suitable for all ages and skill levels. The cutesy art style is just the icing on the cake, drawing you into a world that is charming and vibrant. With its clear Breath of the Wild inspirations, Ubisoft's Immortals Fenyx Rising might just be the surprise hit of the year.

Easy Allies (80/100):
Immortals Fenyx Rising lays a solid foundation for a new open world game by drawing inspiration from other successful contemporaries. It boasts an impressive combat system, but the limited enemy roster fails to showcase its true potential. Yet there's so much to do and see, with numerous opportunities that highlight the amazing puzzle designs and the enormous scale of the world to explore, all set to a wonderful soundtrack composed by Gareth Coker. For those looking for a more stylized open world experience that doesn't strive for realism, but rather revels in its mythology, Immortals is your type of odyssey.

PlayStation Universe (80/100):
With Immortals: Fenyx Rising, Ubisoft has created a refreshingly compact throwback open-world adventure that can be forgiven for its aggressive repurposing of other games best bits because it shapes them to fits its own style. The exploration is brisk and eventful, the puzzles are varied, with the right level of challenge and simplicity, and the approach to storytelling ultimately pays off. The DualSense features are a bit hit and miss, and it's not exactly the best advert for the power of PS5, but much like the game it cribs from, Immortals' qualities outshine any need for major technical showcases.

TrueGaming (80/100):
Even though it borrows clearly from other games, Immortals Fenyx Rising applies those ideas beautifully to come up with a fun adventure mixed with comical storytelling.

Attack of the Fanboy (80/100):
Ubisoft has a knack for creating beautiful, expansive open worlds, but none of them are as compelling to explore as Immortals Fenyx Rising. It's a sprawling, colorful playground with plenty of nooks and crannies to get lost in.

TheSixthAxis (80/100):
Putting the obvious parallels to one side, Immortals Fenyx Rising is a thoroughly enjoyable game. The main character is very likeable, and the humour between the characters is great, while the Golden Isle looks fantastic and is filled with content without also feeling overwhelming. It takes a while for the combat to grow, and the end portion of the game drags on, but if you want a fun and compact open world game then Immortals Fenyx Rising is well worth playing.

Shacknews (80/100):
Ubisoft Quebec aimed high with Immortals Fenyx Rising, crafting a new hero, an epic tale filled with larger-the-life gods and terrifying monsters, and a giant island playground. It's an exciting story filled with memorable characters, even if some of the twists near the end are a bit hard to swallow. It doesn't quite pack the same punch as the studio's previous effort, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, if only because there aren't as many NPCs or other characters to play off of. For what it is, though, Immortals is a fun island getaway with simple-to-grasp combat and a lot of well thought-out puzzles. The Immortals legend isn't fully realized yet, but this is at least a good start.

Jeuxvideo.com (75/100):
Whether in its gameplay or its structure, Immortals Fenyx Rising will not surprise anyone who has touched a recent open world, that's for sure. Its borrowings from the last Zelda are numerous and glaring, but in the service of a pleasant adventure. Its open world is dense, well built and its scale makes it particularly pleasant to walk. Taking between 20 and 25 hours to see the end of it in a straight line, Immortals does good by providing a pressure-free experience. We will therefore easily recommend it to those who want to discover the game in the open world. Too bad its sometimes catastrophic storytelling interferes with the immersion.

DualShockers (75/100):
Immortals takes inspiration from many of its Ubisoft predecessors, as well as some other big titles, but it doesn't really do a good enough job of differentiating itself. There's no denying that there's a great time to be had on the Golden Isle, just don't go into it expecting anything genre-defining.

Gamers Heroes (75/100):
Immortals Fenyx Rising is a charming and fun adventure into Greek mythology with Ubisoft's trademark core design elements thrown in to support the experience. It is a worthwhile adventure for those looking to scratch that Breath of the Wild itch, but one that experienced Ubisoft fans may feel is a little too familiar.

Carole Quintaine (75/100):
Immortals Fenyx Rising does not manage to have the superb gameplay of Assassin's Creed and the magic of a Zelda: it is in between. Its gameplay is effective, and its puzzles very well thought out and with its humor and its enchanting universe to the charming artistic direction it manages to retain the player but it misses this little something to make a great game that we will not forget because it lacks depth.

SpazioGames (73/100):
Immortals Fenyx Rising has clear sources of 'inspiration' but also has a generally well crafted puzzle component that allows it to self itself apart from previous Ubisoft open world games.

PC Gamer (72/100):
This is a fun, vibrant open world game with a great sense of humour. I just wish it felt nicer to play.

Gameblog.fr (70/100):
Immortals Fenyx Rising is a nice adventure at the crossroads of Nintendo's Breath of the Wild and the Assassin's Creed saga. By using elements form both series, Ubsioft delivers a colorful and diverse experience, which still suffers from some inaccuracies, within the many fights of puzzles scattered all around the world.

IGN (70/100):
With a gorgeous mythological world to fight through and explore, it's a shame Immortals Fenyx Rising's puzzles are so unremarkable.

GameSpot (70/100):
Immortals Fenyx Rising is far from perfect--but it is good. It stumbles frequently as it explores Greek myths through a new lens, its best features are borrowed, and for as large and fun as its world is, it always feels like you're on a guided tour instead of really exploring it. But even as it lives in the shadow of better games, its puzzles, combat, and open-world loop come together often enough for me to not only see it through for a few dozen hours, but also want to keep filling out its almighty checklist, even if it lead me by the nose most of the way through.

Push Square (70/100):
While Immortals Fenyx Rising may not have too many ideas to call its own, Ubisoft has created a successful amalgamation worth checking out. Simplistic but enjoyable combat provides the basis for a stunning world full of explorative opportunities and a humorous narrative that'll have you chuckling once or twice. Just don't let anyone know what the cause was. Puzzles are definitely a source of frustration, but if you can look past them, Immortals Fenyx Rising provides a formulaic but entertaining experience.

Nintendo Life (70/100):
Immortals Fenyx Rising tries to capture lightning in a bottle with its Breath of the Wild-inspired gameplay, but ends up being more of a lightning thief; it's not as nice to look at and the puzzles aren't as satisfying. Still, the combat is fun, the storytelling is excellent and, despite not being anywhere near as polished as Nintendo's 2017 effort, it certainly does a passable impression. If you crave more Zelda and don't mind the off-brand version, go for it, but if for some reason you still haven't played Breath of the Wild, then that's the game to go for.

Game Revolution (60/100):
It is not an unforgivable sin that Immortals Fenyx Rising does not live up to Breath of the Wild, a tall task that its upcoming sequel might not even be capable of doing. But it is quite disappointing that it only plays dress up with the hero's tunic and misses what that green garment stands for. Puzzles sometimes have inventive solutions yet the good ones are drowned out by how often they repeat and how few tools Fenyx has. And the game's colorful world isn't a sandbox that needs exploring, but is more akin to a typical open-world map littered with repeatable, obviously marked activities. These shortcomings make it less of Ubisoft's take on Breath of the Wild and more of a Ubisoft-branded "Breath of the Mild" that could have been so much more.

Guardian (60/100):
The result is a game about mythology that somehow lacks a sense of mystery. It's fun to play and I dare say I will keep chipping away at it for weeks to come, but say what you want about Norwich in the dark ages – at least there was real depth beneath all that mud.

Nintendo World Report (60/100):
Immortals: Fenyx Rising is overall a great game that I'm excited to keep coming back to, but the Switch version is such a disappointment that I'm strongly considering starting my entire playthrough over on another platform. I love the setting based in Greek mythology, and I've been enjoying the adventure almost non-stop, only ever getting bored during the icon hunt whenever I reach a new area once every couple of hours. It's a shame that Switch players will be getting such a compromised version, since I really feel like the weak port does a huge disservice to everything the game succeeds at. I think you should play Immortals: Fenyx Rising, but you should not do so on Switch if you can help it.

VGC (40/100):
The only saving grace is that some of the elements it lifts from much better games are recreated adequately, so fans of those titles might find some of the fun of going to see a cover band of your favourite artist. You've likely not only played Immortals Fenyx Rising before, you'd played a better version of it.

CGMagazine (30/100):
When I first began to play Immortals, I was not expecting much beyond a by the book open world adventure. Similar to an average Assassin's Creed, in that respect. But Immortals is far worse off, as there is little here that hasn't been done better elsewhere. What would otherwise be its unique qualities — a colourful world and lighthearted story — are undermined by a bland world with tiresome environmental puzzles and a grating cast of characters. For those looking for a better game in a similar mould, try Assassin's Creed Valhalla; despite being the twenty-second release in that franchise, it is far more inventive than Immortals Fenyx Rising.

Immortals Fenyx Rising has a strong argument for being the nadir of open world action-adventure games.

Video reviews:

Last edited:

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Sweet, cheers for making the review thread!

I'm so IN for the era of BoTW-inspired open world games.

Can't wait to play this one.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Seems good, I'll play it sometime next year when it's on sale though

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Oh, forgot I preordered this. Glad it's reviewing well, will check it out... eventually.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I'll be curious to hear how the Switch port fares. If it's an ugly slideshow then I'll probably pass, but if it looks/plays respectably, I'm in (at some point).

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in seeing a comparison between Switch and Ps4 graphically.

I'd rather have it on Switch but if the graphical leap is huge I'd consider PS4.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems alright. High 70s average.

Definitely not something I'm going to be playing at full MSRP.

GreatBriTom

Host/Producer at GameSpot
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Here you go Thiago

Immortals Fenyx Rising doesn't have nearly as organic discovery as Breath of the Wild, but it more than makes up for its shortcomings with gorgeous design, a witty script, and excellent combat.

My review:

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah. I'm all for more games inspired by Botw. Still playing Genshin Impact daily.

Edit: Oh wow, unlike Genshin Impact, this actually looks like they literally just remade Breath of the Wild... Not sure how I feel about that...

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like typical ubisoft coming from the reviews, though it being BotW like has me a bit more interested than usual.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that Meta is lower than I had hoped.... sure it will increase though.

Also at 83 on Series X, so that's good.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Was hoping for a higher score, really like how this game looks.

I guess the DF analysis thread will get more posts than the OT for this one. But it's nice to see Ubi doing something that looks a little different from their usual, even if it is ultimately yet another open world game.

Redria

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be honest, I have not paid any attention at all to this title because for some reason I thought it was a stadia exclusive! I have no idea how I got that in my head, but it actually looks extremely fun and I'll definitely check it out. Reviews are looking pretty decent so far.

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
Was hoping for a higher score, really like how this game looks.

I guess the DF analysis thread will get more posts than the OT for this one. But it's nice to see Ubi doing something that looks a little different from their usual, even if it is ultimately yet another open world game.

It has a fairly high score if you take out the 40 from VGC for being too derivative. You give a 4 to a game that isn't polished or fun, not just because you think it has too many elements from other games. Every game has elements from other games that's how the industry works.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't worry for much about the Meta. Easy Allies are super trustworthy. If they gave it and 8 it's good. Sure most of the big sites will give it positive reviews.

Judge for yourself and play the Stadia demo. For me I enjoyed it more than BOTW because it has more personality.

OP
OP
Thiago

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a brief power outage due to rain, but it's back. I'll update the thread in a minute.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit, didn't know the embargo was up today. Thanks for making the thread!

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
78 on Opencritic right now, roughly what I expected. Will probably settle in mid 70s

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this franchise will be something special with the next version, seems like it suffered with trying to pinpoint the core design and direction, which was established quite late. I just hope they dont make it gloomy and dark-soulsian, keep the colours and charm but spend more time on refining and extending aspects that work. Will try it if it comes to Gamepass.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Hah! My prediction of a sleeper hit looks good so far. Really excited to play this, might end up putting AC: Valhalla on hold and trying to burn through this before Cyberpunk 2077 comes out (then AC Valhalla as my side-piece).

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Cool. Slightly better than expected but still confidently expected lower 70's for sure given how positive impressions were coming in. I'd like to play sometime. Not quite sure I'm in for launch, though.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Worth renting it seems. Might fall into impulse buy territory when it's half off in a couple weeks if it wasn't from a publisher that's such a staunch supporter of sexual harassment and racism.

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018
Here's ours - 9.1/10

Overall, Immortals Fenyx Rising is the most successful Zelda-like since Darksiders. It uses Breath of the Wild as a base and delivers a colourful, vibrant world to discover.

powerup-gaming.com

Immortals Fenyx Rising Review (Xbox Series X) – A True Epic - PowerUp!

Immortals Fenyx Rising is the perfect game to play during 2020. While we're stuck inside, unable to enjoy the outside and the fresh sunshine here in Australia, Immortals Fenyx Rising offers up a great way to escape. Riffing on the established Legend of Zelda formula, Immortals Fenyx Rising stars...