• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Division 1 already had a pretty sweet OST with lots of synths going on but now with Division 2 they have knocked it out of the park.
Composer Ola Strandh basically found a band at a concert, fell in love with their style, invited them into the studio and recorded the soundtrack with them.
The results are some absolutely fantastic tracks with beautiful mixes of drums,electric guitar and synths.
Here are some examples:

Balcony Rotary:
A song that after the 1:30 mark basically turns into a straight up "DOOM 2016" track and basically just explodes into your ears and drives you forward and forward through the mission.

Dock Wreck:
A very synth heavy song that uses it's drums to create a constant tempo throughout the mission with an extremely 80's sounding little "victory jingle" around the 1:45 mark

Notable other examples include:
Ballroom:
A very electronic song that around the 2:10 mark turns a lot darker and actiony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1g_2SFDUD0

Rocket Science:
A dark, foreboding song that around the 0:50 mark turns into crazy apocalyptic sounding drum/guitar driven goodness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac0G8njMhqs

Undercroft:
A guitar focused environmental track that follows you as you explore the deep and dangerous underground
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0TulhnVXyI

Food Court:
A guitar filled beauty of a song, hyping you up for a fight around every corner as you race through the mission to your objective before finally giving way to calm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4ogDduJCHY

Diner Poison:
Haunting. Thrilling. Pushing. Pure musical poison running through your system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMA7ksQ15ys

Junior:
A theme driven by some heavy drum and a bassline throughout while synths break it up with calm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0VqZ-OiUpA

Fire:
How does a fire start? Slowly,barely noticeable, building up more and more until it spreads into a fiery inferno. Just like this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HigMbVSvJU

And finally Keates:
A song that basically encapsulates the entire soundtrack with it's use of synths, guitar, drums, atmospheric sound and pure emotion and adrenaline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_1Qf2ICjVE

These are just some of the examples I wanted to give. The full soundtrack has even more tracks, from atmospheric to powerful.
I firmly believe that from a pure soundtrack point of view it will be incredibly hard for another game this year (or in the near future) to create a musical tone so rich in fresh and interesting sound such as Ola Strandh did with The Division 2 soundtrack.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The whole thing is fantastic. It's a shame people won't give it the time of Day because "uwaaaah military shooter haw haw haw" because it is a next level, top tier soundtrack. Really amazing.

Arligan

Oct 29, 2017
It was released as an early access in December 2018 but my favourite this year is Hades. Really solid progressive with greek sounds as well, Darren Korb did an amazing job. I suggest everyone to give it a try.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It was released as an early access in December 2018 but my favourite this year is Hades. Really solid progressive with greek sounds as well, Darren Korb did an amazing job. I suggest everyone to give it a try.

That's a pretty cool vibe from that track, will check it out!

Ace Combat 7 also makes a strong case ;)
Ace Combat is always great but I personally feel it fell a little flat with this one. From the tracks I checked out nothing really jumped out at me.

Remake2 with original OST wins.
Wouldn't that make it the "best soundtrack of 1998"?

martnRULES

Apr 3, 2019
Agreed. Balcony Rotary & Ballroom are just... OOF! The environment and level design give this game such a rich atmosphere, the music amplifies that immensely.

Dlanor A. Knox

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Apr 6, 2018
Kingdom.Hearts.3.

The division 2 had great music though, was really surprised. Didn't play it too much unfortunately, need to get back to it but playing alone is eh. Friend who made me buy the game just stopped playing after 2 days :(

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
With 100+ hrs in The Division 2 at this point, I'd say the music is serviceable but not nearly award worthy. It's good, for sure, just not spectacular. Or maybe I'm just tired of listening to it, lol.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
They all sound very good but personally I think the Devil May Cry 5 soundtrack has been the standout of the year for me so far.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Too bad it's barely used in the open world and it's mixed in way too soft overall.

This.

In Division 1 the soundtrack would subtly kick in as you're wandering around the streets and it was fantastic. In Division 2, if you're not in a mission or in combat you get no music at all.

I never understood why they made this change.

Oct 26, 2017
Division 1 already had a pretty sweet OST with lots of synths going on but now with Division 2 they have knocked it out of the park.
Composer Ola Strandh basically found a band at a concert, fell in love with their style, invited them into the studio and recorded the soundtrack with them.
The results are some absolutely fantastic tracks with beautiful mixes of drums,electric guitar and synths.
Here are some examples:

Balcony Rotary:
A song that after the 1:30 mark basically turns into a straight up "DOOM 2016" track and basically just explodes into your ears and drives you forward and forward through the mission.

Dock Wreck:
A very synth heavy song that uses it's drums to create a constant tempo throughout the mission with an extremely 80's sounding little "victory jingle" around the 1:45 mark

Notable other examples include:
Ballroom:
A very electronic song that around the 2:10 mark turns a lot darker and actiony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1g_2SFDUD0

Rocket Science:
A dark, foreboding song that around the 0:50 mark turns into crazy apocalyptic sounding drum/guitar driven goodness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac0G8njMhqs

Undercroft:
A guitar focused environmental track that follows you as you explore the deep and dangerous underground
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0TulhnVXyI

Food Court:
A guitar filled beauty of a song, hyping you up for a fight around every corner as you race through the mission to your objective before finally giving way to calm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4ogDduJCHY

And finally Keates:
A song that basically encapsulates the entire soundtrack with it's use of synths, guitar, drums, atmospheric sound and pure emotion and adrenaline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_1Qf2ICjVE

These are just some of the examples I wanted to give. The full soundtrack has even more tracks, from atmospheric to powerful.
I firmly believe that from a pure soundtrack point of view it will be incredibly hard for another game this year (or in the near future) to create a musical tone so rich in fresh and interesting sound such as Ola Strandh did with The Division 2 soundtrack.

What band was it?

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I wholeheartedly agree. Love the music, great music can really take a game to the next level. I have finished Sekiro and I am back on the Division 2 right now and loving it.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yep, I've noticed that the music really gets my attention and gets me motivated from time to time. And it gives the impression of being pretty varied, too. I quite like it!

But I do think that Ace Combat 7 is just a bit more to my taste as far as 2019 goes.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I fully agree.
Although the more bombastic tracks (like the embedded visa in OP) are better suited to listen while playing the game, the ambient ones are something you can listen even outside the game.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Too bad it's barely used in the open world and it's mixed in way too soft overall.

And that's great, meanwhile there's no enemies on sight, the sounds in the open world needs to be calm. The soundtrack was made to enhace things (in this case, combat situations), do not cover the ''calm before the storm'' what's the free roam.

TD2 must be one of the best open world loot shooter so far.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
And that's great, meanwhile there's no enemies on sight, the sounds in the open world needs to be calm. The soundtrack was made to enhace things (in this case, combat situations), do not cover the ''calm before the storm'' what's the free roam.

TD2 must be one of the best open world loot shooter so far.

Yes and when you're in combat in the open world there's no music half the time either, that's the problem for me.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Only played the Beta so far so I haven't heard much of it, but those tracks in the OP are bangers for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to start paying more attention to the music. I haven't really felt it has been notable so far, but I also play with friends in party chat most of the time, so it could very well be conversations drowning out most of it.

ODDI

Oct 27, 2017
Preferred the first Division soundtrack over the 2nd but as for 2019 so far it's okay.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
They're very good but Deus Ex Mankind Divided spoiled me when it comes to synth ambient music

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm going to have to start paying more attention to the music. I haven't really felt it has been notable so far, but I also play with friends in party chat most of the time, so it could very well be conversations drowning out most of it.
That can definitely do it. check out some of the tracks I linked, all of them play in missions. Balcony Rotary for example plays in Jefferson Trade Center

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I've only spent a couple of hours with the game so far but the soundtrack was definitely one of the standouts during that brief time.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Dock Wreck (my original typo here sure was something) is pretty hype inducing.
While not quite my thing on the whole there's no denying its good stuff, after last years Far Cry 5 thread I have learned not to doubt the music of ubi's AAA titles.

I haven't played anything myself that's really leapt out on the OST front this year so far, some great games sure but the soundtracks of said titles kinda fell into the background when they weren't being Devil Trigger or having the plinky plonky crafted world main theme bored into my head over and over

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
The soundtrack is fantastic. One of my biggest fears when they announced that the game would take place in the middle of summer was the atmosphere of the first game being lost, but I should have had faith in Ola. The use of guitar mixed with synth and drones is just soooooo good.

The opening track of the game when you get to the White House perimeter.... that rhythm man.

Or the mix that plays when the Black Tusk invades D.C after the main campaign, could cut the tension with a knife.

Really hope Ola stays with Massive for the long haul. If people like this stuff, check out the Division: Survival OST because it's fucking amazing.

Feb 21, 2019
Its good, but the best soundtracks Ubisoft has ever done is as follows:

Assassins Creed 2 - Jysper Kidd (sp)
Far Cry 5: Dan Romer (especially this one)

These are some of the best sound tracks in the last 10 years, hell, 20 years.

OP
OP
Klyka

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Its good, but the best soundtracks Ubisoft has ever done is as follows:

Assassins Creed 2 - Jysper Kidd (sp)
Far Cry 5: Dan Romer (especially this one)

These are some of the best sound tracks in the last 10 years, hell, 20 years.
Never heard the FC5 one but yes AC2 is fantastic.
Jesper Kyd also did the Splinter Cell Soundtrack, didn't he?

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's KH3 right now, but DOOM Eternal is coming out this year so that will probably take it. I think OP overhyped that Div 2 track. it was alright.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
The Division 2 is amazing, but I'm gonna throw Katana Zero's hat in the ring as the best of the year so far:

Same video but different timecodes:

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What the actual hell? Dock Wrecks is a total banger that has some great energy to it. It actually makes me want to finally pick up the game.

Feb 15, 2019
That goes to KH3 for me. You can say whatever you want about the game but its ost is, as always, superb. The instrumental version of Don't Think Twice is amazing and I don't even like the original one.