• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, aren't we supposed to find out if the Supreme Court is going to take up the Trump tax cases today?

infamous5445

Dec 3, 2019
The only way for more evidence to be gathered will be during the Senate trial.

Trump wants a big show that would include Schiff, the Bidens, etc. The drawback to that would be that it'd be a bit harder to force people like Mulvaney, Bolton and others to not show up.

Thus it seems like the way McConnell wants to play this along with Graham is to have them not call any witnesses and essentially fast track this to a final vote as soon as possible. Which optically wouldn't look great but then again the GOP hasn't given a shit about their own optics for a long time now. And since they're been selling this as all a sham anyway their base will be just fine with that.
No evidence will be gathered in the Senate trial because there will be no witnesses to question.

infamous5445

Dec 3, 2019
No this is suicide especially when they are already gearing up to rig the 2020 election and the Senate trial. Democrats still haven't even attempted to use the SGT in Arms on people breaking the law by refusing for subpoenas.

Half assing something as important as the impeachment process does nothing, but help Republicans.

Using such force would certainly piss off some independents and Republicans, no matter how justified it is.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
This is what I'm wondering about now. I hope what just happened in the UK doesn't have some kind of strong-man normalizing or other causal effect on US voters.

People who don't follow US politics (your so-called "low information voters") probably have no idea who Boris Johnson is. Americans are safely myopic that way, they probably learn about foreign leaders from watching SNL.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I love when people say they should call Schiff, Pelosi, the Bidens, and Nadler to testify as fact witnesses, but then have the gall to claim the 17 witnesses only possess hearsay and no direct evidence.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
No evidence will be gathered in the Senate trial because there will be no witnesses to question.
They will question witnesses and it will be stacked with people who feign disappointment in the president but explain, some emphatically, how these are not impeachable acts. There will be 1-2 Democrat witnesses which will form the body of their arguments, but will ultimately appear the outliers. Article I will be relatively easy to undo as they will read into words however they please. Watching Republicans tear apart the Constitution for Article II will be quite a sight, though.

infamous5445

Dec 3, 2019
They will question witnesses and it will be stacked with people who feign disappointment in the president but explain, some emphatically, how these are not impeachable acts. There will be 1-2 Democrat witnesses which will form the body of their arguments, but will ultimately appear the outliers. Article I will be relatively easy to undo as they will read into words however they please. Watching Republicans tear apart the Constitution for Article II will be quite a sight, though.
Bringing any witnesses into the trial offers the Democrats the chance to bring in high profile witnesses like Bolton and Pompeo. Republicans are not going to risk that.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Bringing any witnesses into the trial offers the Democrats the chance to bring in high profile witnesses like Bolton and Pompeo. Republicans are not going to risk that.
That level of mock trial should be a blood bath in the election, but they've surprised me before and will again, not to mention faith in public accountability at an all time low. I'd think if they were going to go that route they would simply dismiss it as unconstitutional.

Can't wait to find out what 2020 has to offer!!!!!!

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump's response to today's vote, of course using the talking points we heard earlier from Republicans: "It's a witch hunt, it's a sham. it's a hoax," Trump said. "Zero was done wrong.":

President Trump on Friday said House Democrats are "trivializing impeachment" after a House committee voted along party lines to approve articles of impeachment against him over his dealings with Ukraine.

"You're trivializing impeachment," Trump said during an Oval Office meeting with Paraguay's President Mario Abdo Benítez.

"And I tell you what, someday there will be a Democrat president and there will be a Republican House, and I suspect they're going to remember it," he added.

Trump hammered the House impeachment inquiry as a "hoax" and a "sham," claiming Democrats are trying to remove him from office for "political gain" and that the American people are "disgusted."

"It's a witch hunt, it's a sham. it's a hoax," Trump said. "Zero was done wrong."

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
with Brexit now guaranteed, I will never be not worried about Americans making bad choices until after Nov 2020. I have no confidence in anything.
World is currently obsessed with pouring gasoline on itself and handing conservative politicians the match.

If Biden is the chosen one, I don't got confidence in shit either. He'll inspire and motivate no one.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Trump's response to today's vote, of course using the talking points we heard earlier from Republicans: "It's a witch hunt, it's a sham. it's a hoax," Trump said. "Zero was done wrong.":

It really does suck though that when there is a Republican House and Democrat President, we'll have to deal with false equivalencies.

This president can be a criminal every day and we get gaslighted, and then when there's a democrat they will just make a scandal up and impeach them because "the dems did it first"

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Said Rep. Demings, "The President has abused his power and obstructed Congress' ability to hold him accountable for his actions. His use of military assistance to pressure another country to interfere in our election put our national security and our democracy at risk. The Constitution requires that after articles of impeachment pass the House of Representatives, the president must be given a fair trial in the Senate.

"Senator McConnell has promised to sabotage that trial and he must recuse himself. No court in the country would allow a member of the jury to also serve as the accused's defense attorney. The moment Senator McConnell takes the oath of impartiality required by the Constitution, he will be in violation of that oath. He has effectively promised to let President Trump manage his own impeachment trial. The Senator must withdraw."

Background

Yesterday, in a televised interview, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell — a member of the same political party as President Trump — said, "Everything I do during this, I'm coordinating with the White House counsel. There will be no difference between the president's position and our position as to how to handle this to the extent that we can."

I mean, dude said that he's the president's stooge, no matter what. So.... what can be done?

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly this seems like one of the more calm, stable interviews I've ever seen him in, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. He's unusually composed here and I don't like that, it suggests confidence in his continuation to fuck our country to death.

He shift from lie to another lie and keep repeating the same words like if he did they'll come true. Fact-checking this president is a full time job.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anywhere nice and welcoming to move to? England has me worried about 2020 and I wanna be ready if this prick gets re-elected.