• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
The gif of the dude opening the fridge, rubbing his hands only to be disappointed? That's gonna be these proceedings. Hopefully it has a positive effect on 2020 though.

Mar 29, 2018
The problem is Nixon/Watergate should have taught this lesson in the first place, that you should not do things this brazenly illegal.

Instead, the lesson learned was just "Don't get caught and don't leave a paper trail"
I don't think so, the cultural context today is completely different. People were stanning for Nixon but not to the extent people, almost to a militaristic extent, stan for trump. The stakes are higher in terms of it being seen as a culture war between left and right.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
What precedent will it set? if you're rich and you got your party in your pocket, you can do whatever you want and no one will impeach you because in 4 years you will be gone anyway.

Also just fyi, there is no guarantee Trump will lose in 2020. Lets not do this here.
Agreed. If he gets away with this, it will only enable more abuse of power to muddy the political waters with even more brazen lies and conspiracies. All he would need to do is get some vulnerable or co-conspiritor country to make up allegations against his presidential competitor to dissuade people from voting at all. In the era of deep fakes, so much is possible.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If our democracy means anything then this needs to take place. Checks and balances.
Yep. Also, we no longer have a guarantee of a fair election to kick him out. The dude is asking for help from any hostile foreign entity and we now know he's also extorting other countries for help. Plus McConnell is refusing to bring any election security bills to the floor for a vote. Kicking him out next year is anything but a guarantee.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Working from home today. Perfect day to do so. I hope the American people pay attention this morning and tonight during the re-air.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Thank god the 5 minute back and forth is not in use here, otherwise this is 100% what would happen today. Now we can just turn off the long Republican session and get the highlights from someone whose job it is to listen to their drivel.

There's a very high probability of that yes, but not 100%. Nixon resigned due to evidence uncovered during the impeachment investigation itself that brought things to light so bad his Republican colleagues turned on him. It is possible that will happen again. Even if it does not, there might be damaging enough evidence brought out that independents will vote D out of anger and more liberal/centrist Republicans will just stay home next November rather than vote for that piece of crap.

The chances that these hearings move the needle not at all is pretty low, it just also probably won't lead to his removal either.
So, what is the structure that will be used for the open hearings?

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Yep. Also, we no longer have a guarantee of a fair election to kick him out. The dude is asking for help from any hostile foreign entity and we now know he's also extorting other countries for help. Plus McConnell is refusing to bring any election security bills to the floor for a vote. Kicking him out next year is anything but a guarantee.
I think this is the biggest point. You can't let slide the very things that undermine a democratic process.

Hetz

Oct 27, 2017
Eagerly awaiting Trump's attempt to distract the country from this today. Wonder what garbage will come out of his mouth today in an attempt to distract from the hearings?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Let's impeach the motherfucker
tumblr_ppnv4cLHV51r9uuz0o2_540.gif

stew

Dec 2, 2017
Eagerly awaiting Trump's attempt to distract the country from this today. Wonder what garbage will come out of his mouth today in an attempt to distract from the hearings?
He will release the transcript of the first phone call he had with the President of Ukraine. Of course it will fail.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
is it possible for any loony MAGA protesters to storm the room? stuff like that happens in other countries, hopefully there's enough security.

i'm suddenly reminded of some nazi sieg heiling in our parliament a few years ago here in Finland... ughhh

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I await the tsunami of evidence reaffirming what people already know (because they admitted it and we we've seen it with our eyes) while Trump and the GOP tries to run interference and make a mockery of the entire process. I expect nearly unheard of levels of fuckery and bullshit from them to try and offset this. It should be something for the ages.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
I like how Schiff's opening statement is him literally laying out all the facts. lol

Nunes about to reply with a 20 minute, "no, you".

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
have my coffee ready. peach flavour syrup with a little mint

mystery forehead that keeps prairie-dogging behind Schiff is already distracting

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Manu Raju @mkraju

Schiff says how proceedings unfold will impact the "the future of the presidency itself" and what is the appropriate conduct of the commander-in-chief. He then details the role of Giuliani, the withholding of aid and denying a meeting with Zelensky as Trump sought probes

Schiff: "Some have argued in the President's defense that the aid was ultimately released. That is true. But only after Congress began an investigation; only after the President's lawyers learned of a whistleblower complaint; and only after" lawmakers asked questions​

10:18 AM - Nov 13, 2019

Eli Stokols @EliStokols

Schiff: "The facts in the present inquiry are not seriously contested."

Schiff pre-butting the WH's "the money was eventually released" defense:

"A scheme to condition official acts or taxpayer funding to obtain a personal political benefit does not become less odious because it is discovered before it is fully consummated."​

10:18 AM - Nov 13, 2019

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I really, really like Adam Schiff. So good at painting the story without bombast or exaggeration.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nunes immediately in whining snowflake mode

hey check it out - when the light hits his forehead right you can see that he's actually shaved down his horns